closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 151 to 192 of 192

Thread: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

  1. #151
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,290
    Blog Entries
    1
    Lots of spoilers here but I thought it was really bad and in line with the ep1/2 levels of crap.

    In no specific order I'll engage my rant cannon

    You don't drop bombs in space

    Snoke seems totally pointless from both ep7 & 8. There is no overarching bad guy left for 9?!?!?

    It's a rehash of ep5. Learning the force on a basic planet while a cat and mouse chase ensues. No at-ats at the start though, they are at the end.

    The chase would never happen because they are in space? They would be accelerating through the burn there is no top speed in a vacuum. Also why not get a destroyer to jump out of light speed in front of them (the millenium falcon stops within its own length).

    The suicide mission admiral was an appalling move. Ask any military leader if it's good to lose their top brain in a kamakaze mission - get a droid to do it! And also maybe tell the crew the plan rather than keeping them in the dark? Though I'll admit the actual moment was superbly visualised.

    The minion rip off and the Jim Henson frog extras from call the midwife - pointless other than to sell toys.

    Luke is a total pussy! I was hoping when he stopped quivering he's be as hard as nails but he does nothing.

    For me a better story would have been (and at one point I thought they may have been going towards it)...

    Luke's not bothered, ray strays a confused path, Leia dies and an enraged Luke says sod this im taking everyone down, there's a big tag team battle with Luke, ray, snoke and kylo where ray turns dark (she was tempted to that well easily enough and snoke will promise to save the parents or whatever like ep3) and kylo is redeemed saves Luke setting up for a final act of snoke/ray vs Luke/kylo while the first order chase shadows across the galaxy looking for the remains of the rebels.

    But they didn't. Boo.
    Last edited by pete-r; 25th December 2017 at 17:04.

  2. #152
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,290
    Blog Entries
    1
    Also they seem to be deliberately ticking the boxes for diversity but are happy to use the sexist term flyboy for a person who acts rashly with no thought for others.

    I bet the makers of rogue one must be laughing their arses off!

  3. #153
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    868
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Um...it is Star Wars....
    Lol meant Star Trek

    Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

  4. #154
    Master PipPip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Longparish, Hampshire
    Posts
    1,904
    We watched it yesterday. As a mildly entertaining kids movie I thought it was passable. As a Star Wars movie I thought it was appalling. My 8 year old son got bored, my wife left half an hour from the end to “top up the parking” (she’d had enough) and my 10 year old daughter thought it was rubbish but enjoyed the Lindt chocolate we took along. My son asked me why suddenly in this movie you can use the force to fly through space and make a copy of yourself across space. Quite.

  5. #155
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    773
    Just watched Rogue One again. It's a movie in its own right. Episode 8 wasn't, I think that's the main difference between a good movie and a missed opportunity like this was. I have't seen anyone saying it was awesome. Which pretty much sums it up. As a long time Star Wars/Sci Fi lover I'd shuffle awkwardly and say, "Yeah it's alright" that's a shame.

  6. #156
    Master TKH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hot Tub
    Posts
    2,780
    Went yesterday

    Hmmmm

    I think those of us who saw the originals when we were kids in 70’s and 80’s it was our destiny to be disappointed by the new Disney offerings, I sat there and said ‘really’ about every 5 minutes as Robbie Williams says ‘they’ve ruined my favourite pub’.

    But ....We are not the target audience the audience clearly being the kids that are the age we were back then.

    They have left us behind along with the old characters my dad still listens exclusively to the Beatles and The Eagles and derides anything else apart from a bit of Daft Punk .. go figure.

    And for Disney the measure of success will be the revenues and guess what we all went as did millions of others and you might just go to the next one but even if you don’t ‘ A new (next) Generation’ will.
    the bucket may be full of holes but it’s being filled up constantly at the same rate of loss.

    I am £25 lighter and slipped disappointed through a hole in the bucket shaking my head on the way out but for every 48 year old like me there were kids walking out going ‘wow’.

    I suspect George Lucas has bitten through his lip but has $ 4 BILLION as a comforter. 50/50 cash and Disney shares 😉

  7. #157
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    57

    Post Mark Hamill Regrets Criticizing Rian Johnson’s Portrayal of Luke Skywalker

    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a8126976.html

    http://variety.com/2017/film/news/ma...di-1202648884/

    Mark Hamill took to Twitter on Tuesday to apologize for his recent comments criticizing director Rian Johnson’s portrayal of Luke Skywalker in “Star Wars: The Last Jedi.”

    “I regret voicing my doubts and insecurities in public. Creative differences are a common element of any project but usually remain private,” he tweeted. “All I wanted was to make a great movie. I got more than that — @rianjohnson made an all-time GREAT one!”

    In an interview for Vanity Fair posted in May, Hamill recounted a discussion he had with Johnson after reading the script featuring the full return of Skywalker in The Last Jedi.

    “I, at one point, had to say to Rian, ‘I pretty much fundamentally disagree with every choice you’ve made for this character. Now, having said that, I have gotten it off my chest, and my job now is to take what you’ve created and do my best to realize your vision,' " Hamill recalled.

    During an interview with the Spanish outlet SensaCine, an emotional Hamill said, “I almost had to think of Luke as another character. Maybe he’s Jake Skywalker — he’s not my Luke Skywalker. But I had to do what Rian wanted me to do because it serves the story well."

    In an interview with The Daily News, Hamill called himself "the host body to which this character has been assigned."

    "That’s the problem. When I disagree with the direction of the character, I get a little mouthy,” he said. “Like when the trailer came out and the line is, ‘It’s time for the Jedi to end.’ There’s no way, I don’t care what happened to this guy. Jedis do not give up. It’s just inherent in them.”

    Hamill's comments have not stopped The Last Jedi from soaring to $792 million worldwide (and counting) at the box office, with a 91% critical score on the review site RottenTomatoes.com.

  8. #158
    Master Chewitt13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    1,129

    Star Wars: The Last Jedi

    I’ve seen it twice now and it’s the most disappointing effort yet. A patchwork quilt of ideas and nothing substantial linking them. Bad guys should be bad not whining boys. The island bit was too long, the casino bit unnecessary and the planet bit nonsense

    I did like the at ats though

  9. #159
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Went yesterday

    Hmmmm

    I think those of us who saw the originals when we were kids in 70’s and 80’s it was our destiny to be disappointed by the new Disney offerings, I sat there and said ‘really’ about every 5 minutes as Robbie Williams says ‘they’ve ruined my favourite pub’.

    But ....We are not the target audience the audience clearly being the kids that are the age we were back then.

    They have left us behind along with the old characters my dad still listens exclusively to the Beatles and The Eagles and derides anything else apart from a bit of Daft Punk .. go figure.

    And for Disney the measure of success will be the revenues and guess what we all went as did millions of others and you might just go to the next one but even if you don’t ‘ A new (next) Generation’ will.
    the bucket may be full of holes but it’s being filled up constantly at the same rate of loss.

    I am £25 lighter and slipped disappointed through a hole in the bucket shaking my head on the way out but for every 48 year old like me there were kids walking out going ‘wow’.

    I suspect George Lucas has bitten through his lip but has $ 4 BILLION as a comforter. 50/50 cash and Disney shares 😉
    I think you're right to a certain extent but R1 was surely aimed at the same audience and nailed it? Here's hoping for better things from the Richie Cunningham and the Han Solo film!

  10. #160
    People might have been less confused or disappointed had episodes 7 and 8 swapped titles.

  11. #161
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Weymouth
    Posts
    948
    My son went to see this and commented unprompted that it is really bad.
    Totally disjointed with lots of plot holes.

  12. #162
    Master bond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,912
    Blog Entries
    1
    The more I think about it, the more I just see the whole new trilogy as remakes of the originals. The spine of the three was the dark and broody Rogue One As was Empire strikes back .


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #163
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chippenham ish
    Posts
    2,318
    Wel, I am a grown up and saw the original movies etc. Huge fan.

    The Last Jedi wasn’t perfect but as a bit of escapism and fun it was superb. Anyone overanalysing the plot/story in my view is missing the point. Sit back and enjoy, it’s what I always used to do and still works for me !


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #164
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Aberdoom
    Posts
    1,268
    Avoided this thread due to spoilers. Went last night. I agree that I am no longer the target market as I will never buy a porg plushie. Visual effects were good, story was garbage. It wasn't even like I could switch my brain off and just enjoy like you would with a Michael Bay film. The only new star wars that I enjoyed since the original trilogy was Rogue One. Really enjoyed that.

  15. #165
    I think for the original Star Wars generation it's over.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdm8rpv045U

  16. #166
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    ireland
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    Avoided this thread due to spoilers. Went last night. I agree that I am no longer the target market as I will never buy a porg plushie. Visual effects were good, story was garbage. It wasn't even like I could switch my brain off and just enjoy like you would with a Michael Bay film. The only new star wars that I enjoyed since the original trilogy was Rogue One. Really enjoyed that.
    ive been to skellig michael, and the first thing you notice is how tame and unique the puffins look. so when i saw the porgs for the first time i realised the crew must have had the same reaction as me. "how do we put these cute guys in the movie?" so they seem to have taken the puffins and changed them enough to make them alien. but im convinced thats what happened. but i could be completely wrong.

  17. #167
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,349
    Load of tripe.

    The bad guys have no real sense of darkness or evil about them. What's worse is we're now left with kylo ren as the head honcho for the next film and he's an absolute pussy.

    The whole island bit was nonsense. 2 seconds of Jedi training and lukes part seemed to have been written by someone who'd never seen EP 4-6. Again, an absolute pussy. This was made worse by the fact fans have been waiting 2 years to see just how powerful a Jedi he would now be following the scene at the end of TFA.

    Us 40 something's may not be the target audience but i watch the film's with the same enthusiasm as when I was a child. At no point in this film did I feel myself want to jump up and shout "come on!" for the rebels during a battle or feel even the slightest pang of fear for the whining emo esque baddies. I actually wish this film had never happened.

    Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

  18. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    Load of tripe.

    The bad guys have no real sense of darkness or evil about them. What's worse is we're now left with kylo ren as the head honcho for the next film and he's an absolute pussy.

    The whole island bit was nonsense. 2 seconds of Jedi training and lukes part seemed to have been written by someone who'd never seen EP 4-6. Again, an absolute pussy. This was made worse by the fact fans have been waiting 2 years to see just how powerful a Jedi he would now be following the scene at the end of TFA.

    Us 40 something's may not be the target audience but i watch the film's with the same enthusiasm as when I was a child. At no point in this film did I feel myself want to jump up and shout "come on!" for the rebels during a battle or feel even the slightest pang of fear for the whining emo esque baddies. I actually wish this film had never happened.

    Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk
    Totally agree - and my 17 year old son (who grew up with the movies, clone wars cartoons etc) actually hated it more than me. I think the whole ‘not aimed at 40 year old fan boys’ is a total red herring - regardless of the age of the viewer the story and script are dreadful with ridiculous plot holes and inconsistencies - and awkward humour. The Phantom Menace is worthy of an Oscar in comparison


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #169
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,290
    Blog Entries
    1
    Can anyone explain how the film would have changed if snoke hadn't been in 7/8 at all? I don't think it would have made any difference.

    Also the same thing with Luke, nothing would have changed because Ray moved the rocks to save them. Luke just bought them time until she arrived.

  20. #170
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    The Phantom Menace is worthy of an Oscar in comparison


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoa whoa whoa, this is the Internet, things can't be unsaid...I recommend you think carefully before posting again 😂😉

  21. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa, this is the Internet, things can't be unsaid...I recommend you think carefully before posting again
    You may be right, I’m going for a lie down......


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #172
    I don’t see how snoke fits in or where he came from tbh.

    It has moved on a lot since those of us who really grew up with it ( and where always proper sci fi fans) . No, no decent menacing evil baddies agreed. But, it was made by fluffy Disney. Hardly going to be a Ridley Scott, was it.
    That said, it wasn’t all bad was it.. My son liked it.
    Last edited by sestrel; 1st January 2018 at 21:45.

  23. #173
    Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    I don’t see how snoke fits in or where he came from tbh.
    I saw the film yesterday (in 4DX, anyone seen it in this format?) and this was the biggest question I had. What was the point of Snoke and his story, just don't get it.

  24. #174
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wokingham
    Posts
    1,903
    TFA was a great film in its own right and opened up lots of possible outcomes, which TLJ ruined spectacularly. I think there's a reason why JJ Abrams was asked to come back and direct Episode 9, because Rian Johnson (IMO) cocked this up big time. I was so disappointed with the story, the killing off of characters that had been built up over the last few years and turning Luke Skywalker into a pussy that's scared of the Force.

  25. #175
    Grand Master snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    13,250
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I saw the film yesterday (in 4DX, anyone seen it in this format?) and this was the biggest question I had. What was the point of Snoke and his story, just don't get it.
    Hardly new for the Disney era films though (or even the earlier ones - Far too many great characters wasted).

    My guess? A spin off film to explain it...

    I think I'm too old for Star Wars now - I went to see the original film when it came out and I was in my teens. It was world changing cinema!

    Now, it's just a big special effects show off - Sure, the original films were effects bold leaps forwards in their time, but they had a story you could just enjoy and characters who you DID care about.

    Honestly, I didn't care if anyone lived or died in The Last Jedi, not even Luke! They could have killed off Chewi and I'd have shrugged...

    Technically and visually, it was great and I enjoyed myself, but the magic has gone for me.

    Porgs? On a par with Jar Jar Binks for me - At least Ewoks actually helped the rebellion and the crystal fox things led to the discovery of a way out of the cave, but Porgs were just there to look cute and must count as the most cynical toy placement in SW history!

    I'll go and see ep 9 at the cinema, but I'm not going to bother with Solo until my son inevitably buys it on DVD!

    M
    Last edited by snowman; 2nd January 2018 at 15:22.

  26. #176
    If Rouge One was anything to go by, the standalone movies will be better than the continuation movies....

  27. #177
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    15,176
    Blog Entries
    1
    Well I enjoyed it, as did my 13 y/o son.

    It's been a while since I saw Laura Dern in anything. Has she been growing her neck?

    I wish people would learn how to spell 'Rogue'.

  28. #178
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Can anyone explain how the film would have changed if snoke hadn't been in 7/8 at all? I don't think it would have made any difference.
    Most pointless character since JarJar. I was expecting big things from Snoke, but like the film I was left very disappointed.

    Don’t think I will bother with the next one


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  29. #179
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    439
    2 years of guessing Snokes background and who he might be seems to have been a massive waste of air for myself and friends.

  30. #180
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Aberdoom
    Posts
    1,268
    I forgot about the other thing that really annoyed me. The First Order awful plummy English accents. Felt so put on and fake. The rousing speeches in front of the troops felt like a comedy sketch. I don't remember Darth Vader giving the troops a warm up.

  31. #181
    You and your friend need to get out more! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    2 years of guessing Snokes background and who he might be seems to have been a massive waste of air for myself and friends.

  32. #182
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    You and your friend need to get out more! :)
    lol, we only do it during work times. So its ok as I am getting paid to think about star wars :)

  33. #183
    Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    9,345
    Blog Entries
    1
    Went to see it on an Imax screen at Disney’s in Orlando. I agree that there are a lot of ‘plot holes’ etc, including Snoke’s role.

    Having said that, I enjoyed the movie. Just go out and watch it without the burden of spectators/self-made SW connaisseur commenting on the lousy quality of this movie.

  34. #184
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    15,176
    Blog Entries
    1
    Just for fun, the film features these actors (did you spot them all?):


    These two from Ex Machina




    The odd Police woman from Top Of The Lake: China Girl




    Vyvyan Bastard:




    That bird from Jurassic Park:



    Finchy:



    Fenster:


  35. #185
    Where was Finchy? Used to see him in my local Tesco


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  36. #186
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post

    Fenster:

    That reminds me, i remember thinking at the time that it seemed like such a small role for someone as big as Del Toro. Anyone else think he'll feature in further episodes, perhaps the new Han Solo rogue type character who comes good?

  37. #187
    Master village's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Posts
    9,920
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Where was Finchy? Used to see him in my local Tesco


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Colonel Ansiv Garmuth....white jacketed security officer on Snope's Star Dreadnought. It wasn't a large part.

  38. #188
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    15,176
    Blog Entries
    1
    Further shocking trivia - Simon Pegg appears to have had zero involvement with this film!

  39. #189
    Master Ron Jr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Lindenhurst, New York
    Posts
    8,119
    Quote Originally Posted by emo72 View Post
    ive been to skellig michael, and the first thing you notice is how tame and unique the puffins look. so when i saw the porgs for the first time i realised the crew must have had the same reaction as me. "how do we put these cute guys in the movie?" so they seem to have taken the puffins and changed them enough to make them alien. but im convinced thats what happened. but i could be completely wrong.
    I have a friend that was on the film crew. He said the puffins were everywhere and it was easier to CG them into porgs in close ups than to CG them out.

  40. #190
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    302
    It was just alright.

    Major turn off was the call waiting scene early on. That switched me off to everything else.

  41. #191
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiloman View Post
    It was just alright.

    Major turn off was the call waiting scene early on. That switched me off to everything else.
    I thought that call waiting scene was hilarious, it was so out of character and totally unexpected. It's like something you would see in those comedy piss take movies. I have to say I really enjoyed it.

  42. #192
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jr View Post
    I have a friend that was on the film crew. He said the puffins were everywhere and it was easier to CG them into porgs in close ups than to CG them out.
    This made me laugh:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7I0xJNIxiE

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information