closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mac, projector and sound question

Master

Mac, projector and sound question

I know that there are plenty of other Mac users here and also some serious AV aficionados, so no doubt a lot of expertise. This is probably quite simple but I don't know the answer and haven't been able to find it.
    I have been asked to set up a presentation and I'm unsure if this can be achieved from a Mac.
    The equipment involves a Viewsonic PJD7722HD projector with only HDMI inputs, together with Bluetooth speakers, with optional wired connections. I have ordered a Thunderbolt to HDMI cable, but understand that this will also send the sound signal to the projector, which can't connect via Bluetooth to the sound system.
    Can I use the cable to the projector, for the image, but stiil send the audio direct from the Mac to the sound system? I have already confirmed that the Mac will pair with the sound ok, but that was without a Thunderbolt cable connected - it hasn't arrived yet.
    Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Not infront of my Mac at the moment, I think you should be able to select sound output in the preferences under sounds

You may need to pair the Bluetooth speakers first so they appear as a sound output option

Maybe use the headphone output to the sound system? I'm not a Mac user but most have a headphone out. It will be a 3.5mm stereo jack to whatever..

Just tries Airplaying and using my Blutooth headphones at the same time.

The audio will try and use the video source for output, but you can divert to bluetooth after using the other display.
    Last edited by Nogbad The Bad; 13th January 2018 at 14:46.

Master
    Thanks for the responses so far. Am I correct in thinking that pre-Thunderbolt Macs had the same socket as a display port only? If so, would an earlier cable, display port to HDMI, solve the problem (assuming that such a thing exists) as it doesn't carry sound?

Quote Originally Posted by simon-c View Post
    Not infront of my Mac at the moment, I think you should be able to select sound output in the preferences under sounds

You may need to pair the Bluetooth speakers first so they appear as a sound output option
    If the cable arrives soon enough to permit a dry run I will try this out. This is exactly what I want; video to the projector via Thunderbolt / HDMI cable and sound to the active speakers via Bluetooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Maybe use the headphone output to the sound system? I'm not a Mac user but most have a headphone out. It will be a 3.5mm stereo jack to whatever..
    If at all possible I want to avoid using a cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nogbad The Bad View Post
    Just tries Airplaying and using my Blutooth headphones at the same time.

The audio will try and use the video source for output, but you can divert to bluetooth after using the other display.
    I won't be using AirPlay as the projector isn't equipped with the necessary dongle and I don't want to over complicate things.