closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Noob questions

Craftsman

Noob questions

Hi Folks,

Further to my earlier post about buying my first Rolex, I have been looking online for the specific Seadweller from 2003 I was looking for. I have found a few, but have some questions, if you dont mind?

Is Chrono24 a safe place to buy watches from?

What does No Holes SEL mean?

Thanks
    Andy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    Hi Folks,

Further to my earlier post about buying my first Rolex, I have been looking online for the specific Seadweller from 2003 I was looking for. I have found a few, but have some questions, if you dont mind?

Is Chrono24 a safe place to buy watches from?

What does No Holes SEL mean?

Thanks
    Andy
    While not a Rolex guy,I believe it means no drilled holes in the lugs, and SEL is for “solid end links”

Chrono24 is like most places, you need to “buy the seller”

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    While not a Rolex guy,I believe it means no drilled holes in the lugs, and SEL is for “solid end links”

Chrono24 is like most places, you need to “buy the seller”
    I see, thank you very much :)

Andy,

Chrono24 is no different to the likes of e-bay with many different sellers. Some are bricks and mortar dealers that you will have heard of and some are private individuals. Check if the seller has a website and if so message them direct, it will give you a feel for how they respond etc. You then have the choice of buying through Chrono or direct.

SEL = solid end links.

Master
    I’ve bought two off of C24, but used it as a marketplace, and as others have said - buy the seller!

Craftsman
    It says on chrono24 if the seller is a business or an individual, I’ve bought a few on there over the last couple of years and I look for a trusted seller with a few years history, it says “trusted seller since ____”

I first saw my 5512 on Chrono. Checked the seller out and he was indeed a proper dealer with a shop etc. I e-mailed him direct and had several pleasent exchanges. I googled him and his business for any feedback etc and it turns out he is on the Vintage Rolex Forum list of recommended sellers.

Finally, I pinged a link of the actual watch to a few people who I trust and asked for their opinion and they thought the Watch looked good - so I went ahead with the transaction, direct. You could always post details of a specific watch on here and people will help you.

Craftsman
    Right, it makes more sense now. I was thinking this was a chain of shops all over the world.

So, the seller in question is Time4People. Anyone know them?

Apprentice
    Never heard of them, but I'll share my own experience with Chrono24. Purchased a vintage Breitling from a trusted source. watch arrived but didn't work. Contacted the seller and arranged for service. Two weeks. Three weeks. Finally get the watch back but it's in worse shape than when it started. Turns out the company had no idea how to service the watch they sold me.

Moral of the story is do your homework on the seller before, during, and after the transaction.

Journeyman
    First time Rolex should be bought from Boutique or AD.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by shinn8 View Post
    First time Rolex should be bought from Boutique or AD.
    I would really like to buy from a boutique and have someone talk to me face to face about it. The problem is I wanted it made in a year that had significance. Which really cuts down your options.

I now have another question it seems. What is AD?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ninja2789 View Post
    Never heard of them, but I'll share my own experience with Chrono24. Purchased a vintage Breitling from a trusted source. watch arrived but didn't work. Contacted the seller and arranged for service. Two weeks. Three weeks. Finally get the watch back but it's in worse shape than when it started. Turns out the company had no idea how to service the watch they sold me.

Moral of the story is do your homework on the seller before, during, and after the transaction.
    Thats terrible and my worst case scenario as I do not know a lot about watches, other than wearing them and telling the time.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    I would really like to buy from a boutique and have someone talk to me face to face about it. The problem is I wanted it made in a year that had significance. Which really cuts down your options.

I now have another question it seems. What is AD?
    If possible, please not to let time constrain be in the way of buying decision, unless the timepiece had discontinued.

For the topic, AD means authorized dealer.

(My apologies for using ambiguous short form.)
    Last edited by shinn8; 5th December 2017 at 10:33.

Apprentice
    I'm no expert on Chrono24 but as others have said, do your homework on the seller first. They may have a separate website etc. Look for reviews in forums etc. I probably do far too much research on things like this before buying but better safe than sorry etc.

Journeyman
    Google the seller name first, try to avoid the seller that does not own the website platform

Weirdly I see ebay and chrono24 as quite different platforms (I.e. one is a generic auction and one is specific to watches) so it is interesting that they are viewed the same!
    That said I would always go straight to the seller rather than through the intermediary, chances are they are paying a commission so scope to negotiate harder!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I am not sure how chrono 24 works?

I’ve seen a watch from this seller on their I like any tips?

https://www.facebook.com/zeitatelier/

https://timepeaks.com/shop/ZeitAtelier/

There’s a German shop with a similar name.
    Last edited by bwest76; 7th December 2017 at 18:04.