closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: David Lloyd leisure

Master

David Lloyd leisure

Have a few friends that use the David Lloyd gym local to me and they got me a 2 week trial, have to say I absolutely love it but having just found out the cost I was a bit shocked.
    The friends I know who use it are all fortunate enough to get corporate rates through their work but unfortunately for me my company don’t which makes it rather cost prohibitive. Does anyone know of a discount code or ever see any offers relating to this gym chain

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by toastie View Post
    Have a few friends that use the David Lloyd gym local to me and they got me a 2 week trial, have to say I absolutely love it but having just found out the cost I was a bit shocked.
    The friends I know who use it are all fortunate enough to get corporate rates through their work but unfortunately for me my company don’t which makes it rather cost prohibitive. Does anyone know of a discount code or ever see any offers relating to this gym chain

I'm a member, and must say it is expensive. I was seduced by the pool, sauna, etc etc. But in truth, I rarely use them, and when I go the gym, i want to get in, get work out done, and leave as promptly as possible. All depends what you want though. If you REALLY do want all those facilities (and they are nice, can't deny it), then I think DL is actually pretty good value (£60ish a month, £15 a week, 3 visits a week at £5 a go - not too bad for what you get). But for me, I will probably revert back to a standard gym.

Try Pay as you Gym. Allows you to literally, pay as you gym for gyms in your area. You can try a few out etc. Not sure where you live, but I have been to this chain, and really good for the money you pay.. https://www.xercise4less.co.uk

Master
    The main reason for this particular gym is it’s at the end of my road so I can walk to it. It’s also next to where I take my daughter dancing every Wednesday so meant I could use it for an hour whilst she danced. £60 wouldn’t be a million miles away from what I was hoping for but mine is £90! Thank you for the link I will have a look

The main reason for this particular gym is it’s at the end of my road so I can walk to it. It’s also next to where I take my daughter dancing every Wednesday so meant I could use it for an hour whilst she danced. £60 wouldn’t be a million miles away from what I was hoping for but mine is £90! Thank you for the link I will have a look
    There is a lot to be said for convenience!

The only time I have ever regularly attended a gym, was when I walked right past its front door on the way home from work. Otherwise there always seems to be something else more important to distract me!

I'm a member of Nuffield Health; lovely Gym, Sauna, Spa & Steam room and that comes in at £54/month on my corporate rate (10% saving). £90! That is akin to central London prices almost!

There are no discount codes for any of the premium gyms, unfortunately. I have private health insurance through 'Vitality', so get 50% off at David Lloyd and Virgin Active.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    There are no discount codes for any of the premium gyms, unfortunately. I have private health insurance through 'Vitality', so get 50% off at David Lloyd and Virgin Active.
    I suspected this to be the case.
    I got a quote from vitality this morning and it would actually save me £6 a month taking out the insurance and getting 50% off the gym!

Quote Originally Posted by knw101 View Post
    I'm a member, and must say it is expensive. I was seduced by the pool, sauna, etc etc. But in truth, I rarely use them, and when I go the gym, i want to get in, get work out done, and leave as promptly as possible. All depends what you want though. If you REALLY do want all those facilities (and they are nice, can't deny it), then I think DL is actually pretty good value (£60ish a month, £15 a week, 3 visits a week at £5 a go - not too bad for what you get). But for me, I will probably revert back to a standard gym.
    Is £60 a month a corporate/special rate? When I enquired I was quoted a lot more than that (NorthWest).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Is £60 a month a corporate/special rate? When I enquired I was quoted a lot more than that (NorthWest).
    I joined at the York Branch. I think its a "couples" account, so me and the GF, I'm sure thats all I am paying.

It may be interesting to find a list of the Corporate memberships, you never know, you may qualify for something. When I was a member many years ago (very nice gym ) my employer had about 50,000 people working for them!

If you jogged to the gym, turned around and jogged back......... you could save yourself the £720 per annum?

But - the costs aren't too prohibitive, and if you have some other incentive, then the incentive of "using" your £720 could be what you need.

Craftsman
    My gym in London was £145 a month on a corporate rate. My soon to be new gym in Dublin is €26!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I am a member with Nuffield and have Friends and Family membership which is attractive, would I pay full price, probably not.

Master
    Puregym is from about £15 a month. Or spend the annual fees on a push bike, a pair of running shoes and some weights from Argos!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BDStevens View Post
    Puregym is from about £15 a month. Or spend the annual fees on a push bike, a pair of running shoes and some weights from Argos!
    The bike will become a clothes horse,the weights will gather dust,the running shoes will be worn for everything but running......

Working out at home doesn't work for "most" who think about doing that,too many distractions.

Im 58 and been a gym member since 18,you have to actually enjoy what your about to set out to try,There are a few times in the year where you see the steady influx of new members most of whom you can see won't be around much after paying the membership fee!.

Its not easy to enjoy something that ain't easy!....

Master
    Im making the most of 14 days for £14 at david lloydd at minute but £60 a month means I wont be signing up at the end despite how nice it is - if there was a discount then I would but once a week for a chill out in the sauna and pool is too steep for me

https://www.davidlloyd.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/trial

Quote Originally Posted by knw101 View Post
    I joined at the York Branch. I think its a "couples" account, so me and the GF, I'm sure thats all I am paying.
    Thats £60 each or for both of you ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Thats £60 each or for both of you ?
    Each

Sent from my VFD 900 using TZ-UK mobile app

Ask to see the manager and haggle! They want to sell memberships and if you walk away they lose whatever you would have been prepared to pay. Maybe tell them you can afford the corporate rate but not more? Would help to know rates at other local gyms.

May not work but I've done this at Nuffield in the past and nothing ventured both gained...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    That was my plan. Have a meeting later on to discuss membership options. As for other gyms the next one is £35 a month which I can get corporate rate at taking it to £27 but it’s a fair drive to get to it and I can see this being an obstacle!!

Craftsman
    Apt thread for today as I have been a member of DL for 4 years and every year at this time I get a letter ref price increase. So for 2018 they want me to pay £126.50 per month. And that is just for me!!! Time to leave I think as that is a joke!!! Especially due to me now having a baby so it is used nowhere near the same as previous years.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Yeah, if you want to use full facilities (including tennis), it's £120 p/m at my bit. I've got a mate with a membership and I considered joining (I have used a gym regularly for many years and even thought I could justify 90) but 120 is just ridiculous!

Master
    Personally I'd steer clear of david lloyd I had no end of trouble with their Milton Keynes gym the bigges were:
    1) The sauna / hot tubs were closed down and never reopened as there were a number of members using them for 'amorous purposes'
    2) The pools were often closed or off limits as they had no staff.
    3) The usual meathead club in the freeweight area was worse than usual.
    4) Not enough machines due to refurbishment that took 6 months.
    5) The cost was eye watering.
    6) Quitting was a nightmare, fraught with legal threats and multiple hand delivered letters with receipts, even after the years contract had expired, which they denied and made up a new start date out of thin air and then asking me to send them the original contract to verify rather than a copy - as if. Once i eventually got it sorted out they then spammed me for about a year with 'please come back' offers.

The best thing about DL gyms (well the mk one anyway) was their raquet sports facilities were fantastic, but I don't play tennis or squash so never used them. I recently joined Simply Gym for the grand cost of £9.99 a month

My advice is if you just want standard aerobic and weight machines, find a month by month contract place and save a fortune.