closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Seiko SARB017 Alpinist

Same here. Ready to order as well if it improves the view of the gorgeous dial.

Master
    I see on yobokies there is a flat crystal, has anyone fitted this crystal on the Alpinist?

Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
    I see on yobokies there is a flat crystal, has anyone fitted this crystal on the Alpinist?
    I’ve seen it for some time. Unfortunately the picture is taken from a poor angle to see AR performance so I never ordered. I assume the AR on the domed crystal in this thread could be an indication of its quality as well (assuming he uses
    the same supplier for both).

Brendan has fitted the new DD AR crystal - his photo, it hasnt arrived yet

Looking good so far. More pictures when it lands.

Looks nice already. Seems like a proper fit. Curious what effect AR and dome have combined. Judging from one pic it looks to reflect light away due to the dome as well.

Craftsman
    I keep looking at this watch and would buy one as it is a great design but i can not get over the hour hand. It is just too....blobby . I like the design but on the hour hand the blob is just a little too large, if it was something more akin to the Seadweller i would be all over it.. Shame as i feel i am missing out on a great watch.

Interesting how we all view things slightly differently - to me it blends in nicely with the Arabic numerals and general design.

If the DD crystal is as good as it looks in the above pick and the dial stands out from multiple angles then it will be superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    I keep looking at this watch and would buy one as it is a great design but i can not get over the hour hand. It is just too....blobby . I like the design but on the hour hand the blob is just a little too large, if it was something more akin to the Seadweller i would be all over it.. Shame as i feel i am missing out on a great watch.
    You are missing out and missing the point rather. The hands are Seiko's take on cathedral hands which have a long history. For me, I think they're one of the Alpinist's best features (especially the seconds hand) and they've pretty much nailed it (though not as elegant as, say, Hanhart)

It arrived this morning and to say that I am delighted with it would be an understatement. The dial no longer disappears from view when the watch is viewed at an angle and really jumps out at you. Why on earth Seiko dont fit an AR crystal as standard is beyond me.

Apologies for the poor quality pics - they really do not do it justice.

Apprentice
    Love the alpinist , classy green dial .

Thanks, looks superb! And great to hear you are happy with it. Any chance you could post a pic in side profile to see how far it curves out? Really appreciated!

Jasper

This is the best I can do!

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    This is the best I can do!
    Thanks, looks really good!

Looks good.

The Alpinist comes with sapphire crystal am I right? But just not with AR coating. Have to say I've never had an issue with visibility with mine, but perhaps if it was compared to yours with the new AR crystal I'd notice a difference.

When you think though what you're getting for under £300 in terms of movement, durability and aesthetics with this watch it's hard to grumble. I guess they have to make a few economies here and there and a lack of AR, along with the frankly diabolical strap, are where they do it.

Looks good to me too. I'm happy with how mine is as standard but it would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of one with the AR crystal and one without.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Brendan has fitted the new DD AR crystal - his photo, it hasnt arrived yet

Looking good so far. More pictures when it lands.

Very similar hands to the 1945 Longines WWW (aka "Greenlander")

Caught mine in a great light earlier. Left it on the shelf Friday afternoon, picked it up Monday morning for work and was still ticking on perfect time. Don't think I'll ever get bored of this watch, so unique, such good value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats a great shot

looks very attractive with the dome, nice.

Love this with the replacement crystal. Really adds to the vintage look... Very tempted to do this.

That is a nice photo. Just out of interest what is the total cost of fitting the AR crystal? Thanks

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Really like the look of the DD AR Crystal, the standard crystal is the only thing I can complain about with the watch. I would like to obtain the AR crystal for mine, would some kind soul please message me with a link to where I may buy one and any contacts for a pro to fit this for me, thanks?

Jim

My crystal is on its way to me now. It’s from yobokies, his pics are online and you order via mail and PayPal. There is also a flat AR coated crystal btw, I ordered the double dome as well.

Based in the Netherlands so can’t help with a watchmaker. Mine charges EUR 25 for the job and shipping of course.

Master
    My nearly six year old example has been on holiday with me for the past week. Still brilliantly accurate, and I swam wearing it every day.
    It's time to wear it more, it sits in my meagre collection between whatever beater I'm using for work, and whatever so called better watch I have at the time for leisure. So it sometimes doesn't get a look in for months. Back in work now, and have it on instead of the beater, and if it gets the odd knock and scratch so be it, they'll all be part of its history. Better than it sitting in a drawer.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    My crystal is on its way to me now. It’s from yobokies, his pics are online and you order via mail and PayPal. There is also a flat AR coated crystal btw, I ordered the double dome as well.

Based in the Netherlands so can’t help with a watchmaker. Mine charges EUR 25 for the job and shipping of course.
    Thanks for the reply, I have had a reply from Harold and I will be ordering as soon as I can line up someone to fit it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by wjkerfoot View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I have had a reply from Harold and I will be ordering as soon as I can line up someone to fit it for me.
    I doubt you will regret it. It really makes the watch and I love mine.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I doubt you will regret it. It really makes the watch and I love mine.

it does look much better than the Seiko original, do you have a contact for fitting? I'm reluctant to trust it to someone I randomly choose rather than a recommendation from a member on here.

I would recommend Duncan (thewatchbloke) - however he has a lot of work on at the moment.

Also - Brendan (webwatchmaker) who is very good with a quicker turnround.

I used Brendan for mine despite Duncan being just down the road from me - I was impatient to get it done!!!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I would recommend Duncan (thewatchbloke) - however he has a lot of work on at the moment.

Also - Brendan (webwatchmaker) who is very good with a quicker turnround.

I used Brendan for mine despite Duncan being just down the road from me - I was impatient to get it done!!!

Many thanks, I've e-mailed Brendan

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Just been to collect my SARB017 after having the Yobokies DD AR Crystal fitted. Found a well recommended watchmaker just a couple of miles from home and I am very pleased with the job he has done, it was a ridiculously low price which included full waterproof testing as well. if anyone in the Greater Manchester Area needs a crystal changing then I'd happily forward his contact details. Apologies for the rather poor picture, I'm not a great photographer.

I totally agree with other posters that this mod totally transforms the watch for the better.

Last edited by wjkerfoot; 9th February 2018 at 17:25.

Just been to collect my SARB017 after having the Yobokies DD AR Crystal fitted. Found a well recommended watchmaker just a couple of miles from home and I am very pleased with the job he has done, it was a ridiculously low price which included full waterproof testing as well. if anyone in the Greater Manchester Area needs a crystal changing then I'd happily forward his contact details. Apologies for the rather poor picture, I'm not a great photographer.

I totally agree with other posters that this mod totally transforms the watch for the better.

Hi mate, I'm over in Yorkshire. Where did you get the crystal from? Online? And d'you really think this mod improves the watch that much - like can you tell a significant difference? How much was the crystal if you don't mind me asking?

Does anyone know if the 'bezel' on the alpinist is part of the case, or does it need removing in order to fit the crystal? Done a few crystal swaps on my divers and would like to do this also.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Hi mate, I'm over in Yorkshire. Where did you get the crystal from? Online? And d'you really think this mod improves the watch that much - like can you tell a significant difference? How much was the crystal if you don't mind me asking?
    I got it from Harold at Yobokies, he is based in HK, available via e-mail at yobokies@yahoo.com.hk. He will provide all the information you need, the Crystal was $63 inc. airmail, Crystal arrived within 4-5 days.

The look is subjective but I like it a lot and the lovely green dial is more is more vivid in most lighting conditions, I also think the dome is more suited to the watch than the original flat Crystal. I had quotes of upto £60 for fitting but had it changed locally for 25% of that and I’m very pleased with the job. Is it worth the money, well it was for me but maybe not for others.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Does anyone know if the 'bezel' on the alpinist is part of the case, or does it need removing in order to fit the crystal? Done a few crystal swaps on my divers and would like to do this also.
    I’m clueless when it comes to these things but I’m sure you don’t have to remove it to change the Crystal even if it was removable. An easy job according to the guy that did mine.

Good to hear and thanks for the picture! My crystal is still on its way, hope it arrives soon.

Banned
    These watches look even better on one of strapcodes super Angus jubilee bracelets .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

This 013 has another day to go on eBay

I love the dial and hands

Already fitted with a DD/AR crystal and the date wheel has been changed to black too. Fitted with a Strapcode Oyster.

I am seriously tempted by this!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seiko-Alp...QAAOSw3q5ad4Tr

Already fitted with a DD/AR crystal and the date wheel has been changed to black too. Fitted with a Strapcode Oyster.

Beautiful watch, but that date wheel looks like shite... Would have to get that reverted to the original personally.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seiko-Alp...QAAOSw3q5ad4Tr
    I think the green gives it the Alpinist identity. Personally not as keen on that version, more generic looking - but if you like it and you've got the dough then go for it 👍

I think the green gives it the Alpinist identity. Personally not as keen on that version, more generic looking - but if you like it and you've got the dough then go for it 
    I'd have the current Alpinist if they did a colour other than that green. I love the design of the watch, just don't like the colour (yes I know that's one of the things people love about the watch). I'd like to see a navy blue or a red dial. I'm sure there'll be more colours sooner or later as there have been in the past Alpinist Seikos.

Craftsman
    I think the green gives it the Alpinist identity. Personally not as keen on that version, more generic looking - but if you like it and you've got the dough then go for it 👍
    Have to agree. Absolutely love the green.

Recently bought a Sarb033, which I've ordered a nice tan leather strap for. Always felt the Alpinist would look better on a bracelet as the dial is so unique colour wise it's hard to get a strap that either brings it out fully, or doesn't clash. So I swapped the surprisingly good bracelet from the 033 onto it and have to say I'm really happy with the results. Also has a Seiko signed clasp which is cool. God knows why they don't just put it on a bracelet to start with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    That looks good and I agree. I find that my coloured dial or bezel watches look better on a bracelet and I like to switch straps on my black or white dial watches.

Always felt the Alpinist would look better on a bracelet... God knows why they don't just put it on a bracelet to start with.
    Because you're wrong, it doesn't look better on a bracelet

Although nearly anything would be better than the dreadful strap it ships with, which leads me to assume that it's to keep the price down... (as well )

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Because you're wrong, it doesn't look better on a bracelet

Although nearly anything would be better than the dreadful strap it ships with, which leads me to assume that it's to keep the price down... (as well )

M
    Different strokes for different folks I guess, I think adding the bracelet has taken the watch to another level. Totally agree about the strap it comes on, I've literally had £3 straps from eBay that have been better quality, it was unwearable on my wrist.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, I think adding the bracelet has taken the watch to another level. Totally agree about the strap it comes on, I've literally had £3 straps from eBay that have been better quality, it was unwearable on my wrist.
    Yeah, of course, my response was a bit tongue in cheek, but I wouldn't put mine on a bracelet, personally, as I don't think it particularly suits the watch, but I know lots of people do

Whatever people are most happy with, but I've thrown away too many Seiko bracelets to worry about this not having one!

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Yeah, of course, my response was a bit tongue in cheek, but I wouldn't put mine on a bracelet, personally, as I don't think it particularly suits the watch, but I know lots of people do

Whatever people are most happy with, but I've thrown away too many Seiko bracelets to worry about this not having one!

M
    To be honest I felt the same, and put my Alpinist on a few different types of strap but never really felt any of them did it justice. I'd seen pics of it on the Angus Jubilee, but there's no way I'm spending £150 on a bracelet for a £300 watch.

Given my previous experience of Seiko straps I wasn't expecting much from the one on the 033 and had planned a tan leather for it anyway as I love that look. But I was pleasantly surprised by the bracelet and just wondered if I could get a bit of use out of it. Soon as I got it on the Alpinist I felt that I now had the best look for it. But as you say it's whatever you're most happy with. The only drawback is the end links are not a perfectly flush fit as the curvature of the two watches must be a bit different, but it's not really noticeable.

but there's no way I'm spending £150 on a bracelet for a £300 watch.
    If you can live with an Oyster, this Strapcode option was around 70 quid I think ? I've only had it on for about a month or so and I may consider getting the PCL's brushed out. The jury's still out on that.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    If you can live with an Oyster, this Strapcode option was around 70 quid I think ? I've only had it on for about a month or so and I may consider getting the PCL's brushed out. The jury's still out on that.

That looks good, thanks for the heads up. I'll see how it goes on the current bracelet and if I decide to upgrade I'll know where to look 👍

Seiko SARB017 Alpinist

It arrived this morning and to say that I am delighted with it would be an understatement. The dial no longer disappears from view when the watch is viewed at an angle and really jumps out at you. Why on earth Seiko dont fit an AR crystal as standard is beyond me.

Apologies for the poor quality pics - they really do not do it justice.
    My crystal was finally fitted today. The initial crystal was shipped back to yobokies due to a small mistake in the adress so it took a while but now it is finally done. I really want to thank Velorum for taking this step first and indeed it also exceeds all my expectations. I love this watch and considered selling it due to the lack of AR. Just google for images of the sarb017 and you will see it (if it bothers you, especially in this price range is something else ofcourse). It is possible to show the cracking green when you tilt the camera just right but mostly the green is subdued.

The pics from yobokies also don't sell the AR qualities of the crystal, which kept me back.

And it was all worth it. The watch is now green under all angles, finally able to "shine". The crystal also looks super, with a thick dome and a big facet that magnifies the hour indices. There is some "blue AR" hue, not too much.

Overlal very happy with the improvement!! It is dark now so hard to take any proper shots.

One quick shot: