closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seiko SARB017 Alpinist

Seiko SARB017 Alpinist

Hi all. Am very close to buying one of these, would be the second most expensive addition to my collection thus far (not been at it long), watched and read a number of gushing reviews about this watch. I've been reading this forum a while and there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable folk, anyone got or had one? Any feedback?

I love the way it looks, the compass feature and beatiful colour combinations, and it appears that for the price you get a lot ie quality movement, sapphire glass etc.

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Ive had a few.

Amazing value for money in my opinion, the case is beautifully finished and the dial looks lovely. The whole thing just oozes class.

Downsides for me are the way the crystal reflects light which means you have to get the watch at just the right angle to show the dial in its true splendour and how easy it is to move the sub dial by accidentally touching the adjuster, I think that it should be stiffer.
    Last edited by Velorum; 3rd December 2017 at 21:15.

Master
    I'm a fan of this too. I have a couple of Seiko's (SKX007K and MM300) but keep having a browse at this too. I'll have to follow you down the rabbit hole to see what they are really like in the flesh.

where are you buying from?

Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post
    I'm a fan of this too. I have a couple of Seiko's (SKX007K and MM300) but keep having a browse at this too. I'll have to follow you down the rabbit hole to see what they are really like in the flesh.

where are you buying from?
    Gizmo Outlets eBay shop, £290 and my understanding is they have a uk base they send to before forwarding onto you so no import duty etc. The listing says no tax charged.

The alternative I guess would be a 033, but I just prefer the extra features of the 017. Also, worst case I cannot imagine they will lose value given the price vs the build quality, if anything I suspect the value will go up. Are you gonna do it?

Master
    CitiWide and Gizmo outlet are the same company on EBay afik.
    One of my favourites as I’m sucker for a green dial, Strapcode make a nice bracelet for it too.
    There’s existing threads on the Alpinist if you do a search.

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    CitiWide and Gizmo outlet are the same company on EBay afik.
    One of my favourites as I’m sucker for a green dial, Strapcode make a nice bracelet for it too.
    There’s existing threads on the Alpinist if you do a search.
    Cheers pal 👍

Just bit the bullet and ordered it.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Just bit the bullet and ordered it.
    You won't regret it.
    Of all the watches I've had and sold, it's probably the one I regret most.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    You won't regret it.
    Of all the watches I've had and sold, it's probably the one I regret most.
    Thanks, I'll give an update when I get my hands on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Ive had a few.

Amazing value for money in my opinion, the case is beautifully finished and the dial looks lovely. The whole thing just oozes class.

Downsides for me are the way the crystal reflects light which means you have to get the watch at just the right angle to show the dial in its true splendour and how easy it is to move the sub dial by accidentally touching the adjuster, I think that it should be stiffer.
    Can only echo the above - couldn't have said it better. Have had one about three months and struggle to take it off. So far, I've found nothing to criticise (rare for me). The applied numerals/markers, hand-set and dial are a stunning combination. Accuracy has been exceptional, too.

Haven't had the same problems with the crystal or the crown for the compass bezel - the one on mine needs two fingers to turn (not that I ever use it).

If you need any further persuasion, here's a lovely pic found on t'internet which comes very close to showing its awesomeness...

The only thing I'd say against it is it looks bigger in photos than it is.

It's a smaller watch and wears even smaller.

I got used to mine and like it, but my initial feeling was it was TOO small - I suspect some will not overcome that feeling.

M

PS Oh, and the OEM strap is truly awful!

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Can only echo the above - couldn't have said it better. Have had one about three months and struggle to take it off. So far, I've found nothing to criticise (rare for me). The applied numerals/markers, hand-set and dial are a stunning combination. Accuracy has been exceptional, too.

Haven't had the same problems with the crystal or the crown for the compass bezel - the one on mine needs two fingers to turn (not that I ever use it).

If you need any further persuasion, here's a lovely pic found on t'internet which comes very close to showing its awesomeness...

Great pic. It's an incredibly beautiful watch - has the functionality of a field watch but the elegance of a dress watch. From what I understand it could easily be used as either. Makes you wonder how Seiko can make and sell watches with such high quality finishes and movements for that sort of money. My first proper watch was a Raymond Weil Tango Date, it was Quartz and cost twice as much as the Alpinist but certainly doesn't appear to be twice as good!

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    The only thing I'd say against it is it looks bigger in photos than it is.

It's a smaller watch and wears even smaller.

I got used to mine and like it, but my initial feeling was it was TOO small - I suspect some will not overcome that feeling.

M

PS Oh, and the OEM strap is truly awful!
    Yeah I've heard the strap is a bit of a dogs dinner. I guess they have to make economies somewhere. I'm not too worried about the size as I have a 6.5 inch wrist so a 38mm watch looks good. I've also got an SKX007 en route and I'm worried it'll be too big.

Craftsman
    Great watches and definitely worth more than the actual price suggests. The dial and hands are lovely although I always wondered why they chose golden hands and numerals. I would have liked it to see a limited edition with silver tones :)

Absolutely the shnizzle with the wizzle.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master

Mesmerising dial

If your thinking about a bracelet as said take a look at Strapcode as the Seiko bracelet is pinned which isn’t great.
    Looks fantastic on a vintage leather NATO to give it some heft.
    Google is your friend for some inspiration :)

Yeah I've heard the strap is a bit of a dogs dinner. I guess they have to make economies somewhere. I'm not too worried about the size as I have a 6.5 inch wrist so a 38mm watch looks good. I've also got an SKX007 en route and I'm worried it'll be too big.
    You should be fine with SKX, they're not a large watch by any stretch. Congratulation on your two incomings, you'll have to post your thoughts when they arrive.

Craftsman
    As others have mentioned, one of the most versatile watches for the price. I have mine for about 3 months and it's really difficult to put it off my wrist. What I prefer is the way the dial reflects light and changes from dark to light green.

Benoît

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    The bracelet you have on this looks great do you mind sharing where you got that?

Craftsman
    I bought it from Seiya. A bit expensive but very confortable. I don't regret buying it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Big Seiko fan and love it ,I have good on watches but the markers with the green dial he shaped hands look brill.Nice catch.

Master
    I've had my 017 for over 5 years now (a mega record for me), and cannot imagine selling it. Original strap is meh, as mentioned, but it's great on better leather, bracelet, nato whatever.
    The case machining and polishing is superb on a watch this price, very good at any price.
    Size is perfect imho, looks small when you first open the box, but within a day feels perfect on the wrist even if you're used to bigger watches, it would be spoilt if it were any bigger.
    If you get one and the skx007 mentioned, you'll have the best two bargains in the watch world, and realistically every watch anyone could ever need.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Have to say there is a lot to love about this one indeed. If there is one one thing I would change, as already said, it would be the lack of AR. The green hardly ever really pops as can be seen in the shots above. Hardly a fault for the price bug have been looking (unsuccessfully) for an AR coated crystal. Yobokies has one but it has only one picture that does not sell the goods. Here is mine on a variety of straps.

Dear sirs. May I also draw your attention to one of the new presage line with a green sunburst dial? I think it is most handsome, if a little large for my taste

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Dear sirs. May I also draw your attention to one of the new presage line with a green sunburst dial? I think it is most handsome, if a little large for my taste
    Would that be the SRPB05J1 Dave? If so, at 41mm that would be a little large I agree.

Last edited by Evanssprky; 4th December 2017 at 20:46.

Banned
    It is as nice watch. Nearly perfect IMO. Had 2 over the years. 50 + hour power reserve from the movement too which is useful when having alcohol poisoning and in bed for 2 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Have to say there is a lot to love about this one indeed. If there is one one thing I would change, as already said, it would be the lack of AR. The green hardly ever really pops as can be seen in the shots above. Hardly a fault for the price bug have been looking (unsuccessfully) for an AR coated crystal. Yobokies has one but it has only one picture that does not sell the goods. Here is mine on a variety of straps.

Sweet photos mate. How d'you add pics to threads on here?

Using Tapatalk on iPhone there is a picture icon, very easy (pics are stored on my phone)

Don't think I can resit this. It's a beautiful and looks very versatile.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by degsey View Post
    Don't think I can resit this. It's a beautiful and looks very versatile.

Update is that I bit the bullet late last night and ordered one of these.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

There is also the TZ app which is easy to post pics from. But if using a PC something like Imgur is good. Upload the pictures and copy across the link for BB code.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi Glen, I love the colour combination of the first strap. Do you mind telling where you got this strap from?

Master
    Update is that I bit the bullet late last night and ordered one of these.

Damn good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Evanssprky View Post
    Would that be the SRPB05J1 Dave? If so, at 41mm that would be a little large I agree.

Thats the puppy. Much much nicer in the flesh

Master
    I bet, Seiko's nearly always are.

Hi Glen, I love the colour combination of the first strap. Do you mind telling where you got this strap from?

Had to look it up, it is a watchgecko bond nato. I checked and the one they have now looks different with a green label inside, and more expensive than when I bought it. These bond nato's can be found on more sites, and will surely draw you into discussions on which colours the bond/real bond/true bond straps should have. Regardless of the name, this one works with this watch :-)

Master
    Had to look it up, it is a watchgecko bond nato. I checked and the one they have now looks different with a green label inside, and more expensive than when I bought it. These bond nato's can be found on more sites, and will surely draw you into discussions on which colours the bond/real bond/true bond straps should have. Regardless of the name, this one works with this watch :-)
    You beat me to it, the Watchgecko they sell now with the green tag are far better than the original as they were glued very crudely.

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    You beat me to it, the Watchgecko they sell now with the green tag are far better than the original as they were glued very crudely.
    Thanks guys. I did have a look on watchgecko this morning but as you say they didn't have that exact colour combo. I will continue the search. Thanks again.

Thanks guys. I did have a look on watchgecko this morning but as you say they didn't have that exact colour combo. I will continue the search. Thanks again.

Scrub what I just said I can see the one you are talking about on watchgecko, I must of not had my first coffee this morning when I first looked. Thanks again

Journeyman
    Funnily enough this was on my list as well, this thread has MADE me order one delivery date is not till the end of the month I note!!

Scottie

I had one a few years ago. Lovely dial but the strap was poor, I also felt the watch was a bit small even on my 6.75 wrist after usually wearing larger divers watches.
    They seem to have had a resurgence since TGV's channel on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric356II View Post
    I had one a few years ago. Lovely dial but the strap was poor, I also felt the watch was a bit small even on my 6.75 wrist after usually wearing larger divers watches.
    To be honest as a new watch collector it was TGV's review that lead me to the watch. I was all geared up to get a SARB 033 then I stumbled on the Alpinist review on Urban Gentry. I'd never buy a watch based on one review though, so did my research and everywhere else said similar - naff strap but fantastic watch with a lot of spec in terms of build, movement etc for the money and easily usable as field or dress. It's also quite unique looking and not the sort of thing you see very often in the UK, especially being a JDM.

To be honest as a new watch collector it was TGV's review that lead me to the watch. I was all geared up to get a SARB 033 then I stumbled on the Alpinist review on Urban Gentry. I'd never buy a watch based on one review though, so did my research and everywhere else said similar - naff strap but fantastic watch with a lot of spec in terms of build, movement etc for the money and easily usable as field or dress. It's also quite unique looking and not the sort of thing you see very often in the UK, especially being a JDM.
    It's a lovely watch, I'm sure you'll love it. I didn't have the watch long, I bought mine from Seiya Japan about 10 years ago and at that time I was a serial flipper. I'd probably like it even more now and should have tried it on different straps before I flipped it, I think it looks great on a nato

It's a lovely watch, I'm sure you'll love it. I didn't have the watch long, I bought mine from Seiya Japan about 10 years ago and at that time I was a serial flipper. I'd probably like it even more now and should have tried it on different straps before I flipped it, I think it looks great on a nato
    Yeah I'm not a huge NATO fan, certainly not for dressier watches, I know you can get good quality ones but I feel they can just look a bit cheap. Different strokes for different folks and all that. I have a Timex Navi Harbour and put a NATO on that though which really suits the watch, but that's a more military inspired piece.

Yeah I'm not a huge NATO fan, certainly not for dressier watches, I know you can get good quality ones but I feel they can just look a bit cheap. Different strokes for different folks and all that. I have a Timex Navi Harbour and put a NATO on that though which really suits the watch, but that's a more military inspired piece.
    Mine went on this ColaReb Venezia tobacco strap almost as soon as it arrived.

I'd seen someone else's on the forum and it's the perfect match IMHO.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 6th December 2017 at 16:54.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    A great little watch, I had one and sold it - but I would consider buying one again. It looked great on a Hirsch Terra strap.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Mine went on this ColaReb Venezia tobacco strap almost as soon as it arrived.

I'd seen someone else's on the forum and it's the perfect match IMHO.

M
    Looks fantastic.

Master

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Rumpus View Post
    A great little watch, I had one and sold it - but I would consider buying one again. It looked great on a Hirsch Terra strap.
    It does indeed my green Terra looks superb, pricey but well worth it.

When mine arrives I think the first thing ill do is change the strap. I've just ordered a bond from watchgecko now some of the recent suggestions have got me thinking.
    I also need a new tip for my spring bar removal tool. It's one of the cheap ones so thinking of getting something with a bit more quality, any recommendations?

Journeyman
    When mine arrives I think the first thing ill do is change the strap. I've just ordered a bond from watchgecko now some of the recent suggestions have got me thinking.
    I also need a new tip for my spring bar removal tool. It's one of the cheap ones so thinking of getting something with a bit more quality, any recommendations?

so is that 3 of us ordered so far?

Scottie