closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Why does the pelagos have a steel clasp and case back?

Master

Why does the pelagos have a steel clasp and case back?

I am sure there is a reason but what is it? Why not use titanium for all of it? Does anyone know? On the bracelet the contrast in colours is quite obvious. Not an issue at all as I knew when I bought it. Just intrigued.

Stu

No idea, and most likely adds to the weight, which was my one issue with it being a Ti watch.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I'm pretty sure I read that the case back material is stainless to avoid thread galling or incompatibility between the two materials. Not sure if this is true. Clasp is SS I'm sure just for easier machining as it's a very complicated clasp. Also never really paid much attention tongue very slight difference in colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    I'm pretty sure I read that the case back material is stainless to avoid thread galling or incompatibility between the two materials. Not sure if this is true. Clasp is SS I'm sure just for easier machining as it's a very complicated clasp. Also never really paid much attention tongue very slight difference in colour.
    Galling is often the reason for not using titanium for hardware on pocket knives, where they're expected to be taken apart, so entirely possible here too. Being a comparative hassle to machine compared to SS is another.

Master
    I did wonder if it was something to with the manufacturing and the difficulty of titanium. Cheers folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    I did wonder if it was something to with the manufacturing and the difficulty of titanium. Cheers folks.
    I think the crown is titanium and that would look harder to me (small size, details).

Like the thoughts on the case back but that would not explain the clasp.

Seiko goes the opposite way with the clasp on the Tuna. The bracelet is stainless steel but the clasp is titanium. The construction of the clasp however is much cheaper than a Pelagos (even though I've never handled a Pelagos) being of a pressed metal construction whereas the Pelagos' is more intricately machined. The colour of the Seiko Ti clasp blends in well with a stainless steel bracelet however. Below it's fitted to a SS Strapcode bracelet and you can see how it matches it pretty nicely.

Perhaps the colour difference has to do with the particular Ti alloy used. I know from cycling that often there are two common alloys used for bike frames and components. 6/4 Ti which is Ti with 6% aluminium and 4% vanadium and then there's 3/2.5 Ti with 3% aluminium and 2.5% vanadium. The alloy chosen depends on both cost and the application. Perhaps that may explain a contrast on the Pelagos' bracelet/clasp combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Narc'd View Post
    Perhaps the colour difference has to do with the particular Ti alloy used. I know from cycling that often there are two common alloys used for bike frames and components. 6/4 Ti which is Ti with 6% aluminium and 4% vanadium and then there's 3/2.5 Ti with 3% aluminium and 2.5% vanadium. The alloy chosen depends on both cost and the application. Perhaps that may explain a contrast on the Pelagos' bracelet/clasp combination.
    That's possible, but it really could be just due to how the surface has been treated: all of the below are in 6Al4V, just with different finishes (T to B: polished, stone washed, bead blasted slightly used, bead blasted heavily used, acid etched + stone washed). Apologies for the terrible colour balance, but it still shows the differences adequately.

Last edited by hughtrimble; 20th December 2017 at 19:50.