closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Compact Travel Camera Recommendations

Compact Travel Camera Recommendations

As this place is always a fountain of knowledge, I thought I’d ask for some opinions on which compact cameras I should consider.

I will be visiting Thailand in April and I want to buy a decent compact camera instead of relying on my iPhone. I’m visiting Bangkok, Chiang Mai and a few of the islands so it will need to handle cityscape and scenery/wildlife.

I’m looking to spend around £2-300 and would like an all rounder that isn’t too bulky. I could stretch the budget a little if the benefits can be explained :)

I’m having difficulty choosing between 1” sensor models and those with a longer zoom. It seems to be one or the other at this price point.

Initial searches seem to indicate Panasonic LUMIX T70 (Zoom) or the slightly over budget Sony RX-100 (Better all round picture quality).

Thoughts and any other models I should consider?

Thanks in advance
    Luke

I own and use a lot of camera’s and I think for what you have described you are needing, I would recommend the Sony RX100 or the MK2 version with the flip screen. The image quality is fantastic and it is small, easy to use.

I used to Carry it everywhere with me, but I now take a Ricoh GR 2, it is easier to slip in a pocket but is a fixed lens so no zoom. I mainly use it in black and white mode and it is stunning. Take it everywhere, even when I have my X100 F with me.

Depending on just how compact you're looking for, there's a Fuji X100 in SC for 300 at the moment - absolutely superb cameras with beautiful image quality. Fixed focal length at 23mm may be a bit of a turn off, but you can zoom with your feet a lot when shooting travel photography!

I can't recommend a make or model, but I'd definitely get one with a viewfinder. After a lifetime of using film cameras, I find trying to take photos in bright sunshine while looking at a reflection of my face on the screen is a pain in the bum.

Master
    Buy a couple of lenses that attach to your phone. Will be cheaper, easier to carry and results will be the same.

Master
    Panasonic TZ cameras are really good travel cameras. Very compact and have great zooms. I'm still happily using a TZ70 from years ago for holidays. If you want a bit more then M43 (or that ilk) give you a compact photo system.

Thanks all.

I think I need to go and have a look at a few options to gauge size, etc. I would prefer buying new but buying second hand could be an option too.

I have just had a look in Jessops and the RX-100 seems to fit what I'm after. I like the look of the X100 on SC but i'm led to believe the RX-100 is a better point and shoot for a novice.

Aside from the obvious differences of the screen, flash location and more powerful processor. Can anyone explain the real world benefits between mark 1, 2, 3 given the big price jump?

Quote Originally Posted by RaulGonzalez View Post
    Aside from the obvious differences of the screen, flash location and more powerful processor. Can anyone explain the real world benefits between mark 1, 2, 3 given the big price jump?
    There's a comparison table on this page: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/son...t-dsc-rx100-m3

I'd go for the 3 as I couldn't agree more with this:

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I can't recommend a make or model, but I'd definitely get one with a viewfinder. After a lifetime of using film cameras, I find trying to take photos in bright sunshine while looking at a reflection of my face on the screen is a pain in the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    You beat me to it...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    There's a comparison table on this page: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/son...t-dsc-rx100-m3

See also Which Sony RX100 is right for you?. It seems that the III, IV & V all have an EVF.
    Last edited by PickleB; 3rd December 2017 at 17:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post

Thanks for the link. Clarified a few things nicely.

The viewfinder seems like a useful addition given I'm going to be using it in a sunny environment and I have experienced the frustrating screen glare before ! It looks like the MK3 is what I want and although a bit over budget (always seems to be the case !) it seems to be worth the extra cash.

£475 after cash back seems to be the going rate for a new one or about 100 quid less for a second hand model. Has anyone seen a better deal than this?

I think I'd be looking at the best Panasonic Lumix TZ that i could afford (probably the TZ70 - about £220 - £240)

I've still got a TZ7 that I bought 8 years ago which is amazing (and they've only become better).

You might be able to pick up a TZ60 or TZ 80 for under £300 (better sensors - otherwise very similar)

For travelling the Panasonics are difficult to beat, mainly because of the huge zoom range and more than adequate quality.

The Sony is a "better" camera, but.... it's a bit heavier and the zoom range is just not there. For some photos you will get better (near DSLR) quality but for others, you won't have an option for the shot. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Me - I take a DSLR for "real" photos but find myself using the Panasonic most of the time (as it's there in my pocket and ready to go).

Cheers,

Mark C

I bought a Canon G1 something or other (The G1X is similar from the current range) to use underwater in a housing.

It takes great photos in that context, but I've found on a number of holidays, that with a full size sensor, it's more than good enough for my main camera, leaving my DSLR at home.

It's a bit bulkier than the pocket cameras, which can take decent photos, but my wife's gone through a few of them, the lenses always seem to stop extending after a while - I think they just pack too much into a tiny package.

Personally, I still like the handling of a proper SLR, but image wise the Canon is a match.

M

Master
    A bit over budget, but I went for the Lumix TZ100 as it combines a 1" sensor with a 25-250 mm equivalent zoom in a pocketable compact size.
    Been very happy with it.

Master
    I bought a TZ70,
    Initially I was using it on full intelligent auto mode and was a bit disappointed but since I've been using it on either shutter mode or aperture mode and had
    fantastic results. The landscape function has been pretty good too. The zoom is amazing.

maseman

I've had both the Sony RX-100 Mark I and now the Canon G9X Mark II.

I find the Canon menu and controls (it has a touch screen) are simpler and easier to understand. No viewfinder on the G9X II though.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have found a well priced RX-100 IV locally which I’m very close to pulling the trigger on.
    The lack of big zoom is a concern but from watching a few review videos it seems more than capable of the normal range of shots I’d take.

The reduction in image quality at full zoom and low light due to the smaller sensor seems to be the drawbacks of the Panasonic LUMIX models from what I’ve read.

It seems they all have their drawbacks but I guess I won’t find out what they can’t do for me until I start taking pictures!

Master
    From the Amateur Photographer review of the Lumix TZ 100
    Let’s get one thing straight from the start – the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ100 is the best pocket travel camera money can buy right now.

Its 1in sensor and 25-250mm-equivalent lens give a great combination of image quality and zoom range in a body that’s still small enough to slip into a jacket pocket.

Read more at http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/rev...8biHtv4fCdm.99

^^^ The zoom range is an interesting conundrum - I often think I would like a lens with a longer range, but then when I look at my image collection and sort by focal lengths it turns out that I shoot most at 23mm, followed by 35mm and then 18mm and little else - all covered by my 18-55mm, so actually I have no "need" of anything longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    From the Amateur Photographer review of the Lumix TZ 100
    Let’s get one thing straight from the start – the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ100 is the best pocket travel camera money can buy right now.

Its 1in sensor and 25-250mm-equivalent lens give a great combination of image quality and zoom range in a body that’s still small enough to slip into a jacket pocket.

Read more at http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/rev...8biHtv4fCdm.99
    Missed the TZ-100 as it was initially over budget. Worth a look although I’ve just read a few reviews that still mention image quality of the sensor is a draw back. It’s also a little more bulky.

In reality how limited is the RX-100 zoom? Does anyone have any example photos they could share?

Master
    Looks like the Lumix TZ 100 has got a viewfinder which I think is crucial (especially outside in bright conditions). I had a little Canon M which was great but I just could not get used to using the LCD screen. In bright sunlight I found it unusable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RaulGonzalez View Post
    Missed the TZ-100 as it was initially over budget. Worth a look although I’ve just read a few reviews that still mention image quality of the sensor is a draw back. It’s also a little more bulky.

In reality how limited is the RX-100 zoom? Does anyone have any example photos they could share?
    There’s nothing wrong with sensor. As with all compact cameras there’s some compromise and in this case it’s the speed of the lens. Being relatively slow at f2.8 to f5.9 it’s not ideally suited to low light at longer focal lengths but I’ve not had any issues with it. I’ve had dozens of cameras over the years from SLRs to compacts and this suits me better than any I’ve had before. SLRs are too bulky to carry around, most compacts have too small a sensor to get decent quality, and I always miss it if there isn’t a decent zoom.
    While not perfect, this is the best compromise Ive found for my needs.

RX 100 does not have a big zoom range to be fair, my other cameras are fixed lens with no zoom.

The RX 100 is fine for what I use it for, and the image quality means I can crop and resize in edit in lightroom.

LUMIX is known as the zoom option travel camera, it’s alright in my opinion.

I have to agree with Ash on this. I've seldom needed the ability to zoom out really far but sometimes found myself wishing the focal length were wider.

I would rather have a camera with a limited zoom range but which makes up for it with better image quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    ^^^ The zoom range is an interesting conundrum - I often think I would like a lens with a longer range, but then when I look at my image collection and sort by focal lengths it turns out that I shoot most at 23mm, followed by 35mm and then 18mm and little else - all covered by my 18-55mm, so actually I have no "need" of anything longer.

Used MK3 £379 https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Sony...II_195792.html
    Used MK4 £479 https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Sony...IV_197026.html
    You get a 6 month warranty and you can haggle on price too.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 5th December 2017 at 09:44.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    Used MK3 £379 https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Sony...II_195792.html
    Used MK4 £479 https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Sony...IV_197026.html
    You get a 6 month warranty and you can haggle on price too.
    Thanks for the link. I'll take a look :)

I think I'm set on one of these two models but I'll go and have another play this weekend to confirm. It may come down to price as its seems there are some good deals second hand. The IV local to me is cheaper than the one above and has a few extras included too. No warranty though.

I've got a mkiii which I've never used, comes with a few extras, got it new from john lewis in july so plenty of guarantee on this (think it's two years from jl), I bought it to get back into taking pictures a bit more seriously, but I've never used it and now i keep dithering whether to sell it on ir not. On the one hand its a sexy little camera, which is always a nice thing to have, but on the other, the camera on my samsung s7 is pretty good and i always have that with me. If you're interested drop me a pm.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    I'll throw a cat among the pigeons here. I have just come back from the Caribbean and used my Gopro and IPhone 7 plus.

The reason is quite simple. I now show anyone who want to see the pics digitally. Either directly on my Phone or IPad, or on TV. It seems the days of printing pics is really not happening for me anymore. I get everyone is different but ask yourself how you will view them, and how will you show others.

I have full Nikon DSLR kit, high end stuff as well, D800 and a set of Nikons finest 2.8 zooms and 1.4 primes. Its just too heavy and cumbersome. There will be occasions when only a DSLR will do, but honestly, they are few and far between for me to justify lugging it around. I also have a Panasonic TZ10, which take nice pics, so I assume the later ones will be better. If, and its a big if, I was to get another compact it would probably be another TZ. However, I don't see it with the improvements being made to camera phones these days. Just my tuppence worth.

Stuart

Just an update guys. In the end, after some more research I decided to ditch the compact option and went for the Sony A6000 instead.

Just getting used to using it now and so far so good 👍🏻