closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Small Wrist Divers Watch recommendations

Craftsman

Small Wrist Divers Watch recommendations

Looking for a 16th Birthday present for my Son. He is already a rescue diver and loves his scuba diving.

He has tried on my Omega SM300M co-axial and it is not a bad size for his wrist. Maybe a little large, but not much.

I was thinking of getting him a Sinn. I love those dive watches and would like one myself.

The U200 is 38mm in size and looks like a great watch. But is it a bit pricey and I winder if it will eventually be too small for him. The U200 is also out of production so I would need to buy from Chrono24 or similar.

What other dive watches would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by db3266 View Post
    Looking for a 16th Birthday present for my Son. He is already a rescue diver and loves his scuba diving.

He has tried on my Omega SM300M co-axial and it is not a bad size for his wrist. Maybe a little large, but not much.

I was thinking of getting him a Sinn. I love those dive watches and would like one myself.

The U200 is 38mm in size and looks like a great watch. But is it a bit pricey and I winder if it will eventually be too small for him. The U200 is also out of production so I would need to buy from Chrono24 or similar.

What other dive watches would you recommend?

Midsize SMP 300 Quartz - do the job and a relative bargain

Some of the Scurfa watches aren't too large.

And does Eddie have any PRS-18Qs left? That doesn't wear large (although it is relatively tall) and properly specced for diving.

If he's going to dive in it, I'd always recommend something affordable, like a Seiko or Citizen - Lots of the dive equipment branded watches are Seiko or Citizen based and excellent value (eg Cressi)

Some of Eddie's fit the bill too.

I often dive in my Dreadnought Voyager if I'm overseas - It'll be coming to the Maldives with me in April - but maybe a bit big for a 16 year old, but he'd probably grow into it.

I wouldn't dive in the UK in it, for fear of losing it on a dark dive, but should be OK in clear warm water - I dropped my Gopro on a dive in the Azores and could see it 30M down on the seabed!

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 1st December 2017 at 12:42.

One of these if you can find one... about 39mm IIRC, wears small and being titanium, is light. Seiko Prospex SBDN013

Master
    Rado Captain Cook or Oris 65 40mm, what's the budget ?

Master
    Blog Entries
    My Wife has the Seamaster 300 in the reduced 36mm it would be perfect its in Quartz or Auto

Here is a picture of the two together for a comparison

The mid-size SMP and the titanium solar Seiko referenced above are a bit too small IMO.

The Zeno divers on SC right now are a very nice size and a good looking watch.

The Seiko SKX031 or SKX013 (can’t remember which way round) is a slightly smaller version of the SKX007.

Alternatively the Citizen BN0000-04H or BK4150-04E are both nicely sized if you can find one second hand - they do pop up NOS now and then.

For something a bit more expensive Tag Aquaracer or Longines Hydroconquest 39mm are nice sizes.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the replies. Budget would be £1800, ie the price of the U200.

The EZM3 is 41mm. Looks like a great watch.

U200 might sit too tall on his wrist?

Craftsman
    The SKX013 is quite small on the wrist and I imagine a 16 year old lad would soon outgrow it.

The SKX007 is actually a very manageable size on a small wrist as the lugs are quite short.

I can wear either and I have a 5 3/4” wrist.

Here is a side by side shot for comparison:

I know nothing about diving but understand that the SKX007 is really rather good for it.

Master
    I would buy a watch that he will grow into, they shoot up fast at 16.

Master
    I’d buy a Rolex sub

If he’s an active 16, and there’s a chance his wrist might grow, and the watch will actually be used for diving (and therefore bumped around and potentially lost) I’d be looking at two watches - a cheapish Citizen or Seiko for use in the water, and a nicer watch like the Sinn for best.

Craftsman
    The EZM3 is winning the race at the moment. Looks like a cracking watch, built like a tank and a very functional dive watch that can be worn anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    The mid-size SMP and the titanium solar Seiko referenced above are a bit too small IMO.

The Zeno divers on SC right now are a very nice size and a good looking watch.

The Seiko SKX031 or SKX013 (can’t remember which way round) is a slightly smaller version of the SKX007.

Alternatively the Citizen BN0000-04H or BK4150-04E are both nicely sized if you can find one second hand - they do pop up NOS now and then.

For something a bit more expensive Tag Aquaracer or Longines Hydroconquest 39mm are nice sizes.
    Full size SMP then?
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Full size SMP then?
    Yes except I thought it was ruled out in the OP

Master

Quote Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
    I would buy a watch that he will grow into, they shoot up fast at 16.
    Was going to say this.

Reason I was going to give was... when I was young my Dad bought me the same watch as him in a mid size. I hated the fact it was a mid size watch and never wore it.

The fact he's a diver too means a full size isn't going to go to waste if he needs more growth to pull it off on the surface.

Craftsman
    There’s an Oris Divers watch with 40mm case diameter, which might be of interest?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2500 View Post
    There’s an Oris Divers watch with 40mm case diameter, which might be of interest?

Oris Divers 65...

Hope this helps

Your budget would buy a choice of nice vintage midsize divers to enjoy and keep. As well as the SM300 already mentioned there’s the older pre-Bond Omega, the 38mm Heuer 1000, Seiko 6458, all of which would give a fair bit of change to buy something modern to use for diving itself. A small-ish stretch of the budget could see a 62MAS or even a midsize Tudor Sub. Of course I write this as someone who likes vintage watches and doesn’t dive...

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone. I’ve ordered the EZM3 on metal bracelet with a 30 day return option. Will also get the rubber strap for it as well if he likes the watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    My Wife has the Seamaster 300 in the reduced 36mm it would be perfect its in Quartz or Auto

Here is a picture of the two together for a comparison

I have the 40mm in quartz as my grab and go. Relatively inexpensive, might suit a non watch person. I have dived in it it, servicing is cheap and it is super comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Seiko SKX007/009. I don't think there is a better entry level automatic. Movement is rock solid, iconic looks, "cheap", 200wr, loads of strap options and so on.

It wears quite small considering.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk