closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why are people dumping the Seiko SLA017?

Craftsman
    I had the same issue with the logo but I loved the dial. Timekeeping wasn't great either which spoilt it a bit. I will get another in the future as long as prices stay reasonable and I can find one that keeps within a couple of seconds a day.

Master
    Logo should definitely have been applied but I really like the rest of it so will be keeping mine. Think it is in the keeper list which very much surprises me !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    I had the same issue with the logo but I loved the dial. Timekeeping wasn't great either which spoilt it a bit. I will get another in the future as long as prices stay reasonable and I can find one that keeps within a couple of seconds a day.
    The example I had was very stable in all positions with no beat error whatsoever. If you were to get it regulated you could have a super accurate watch.. Would have been nicer I suppose with an applied logo but that wasn't a deal breaker for me..

Mine is about 0.3 seconds a day slow! Never had a more accurate mechanical watch. Just wish case was slimmer and a couple of mil smaller.

Craftsman
    After the pub meet last week I am looking more and more at Grand Seiko, I fancy the Hi-Beat rather than the Spring Drive though. As I said previously, I will get another SLA017 just not until I give GS a shot!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Mine is about 0.3 seconds a day slow! Never had a more accurate mechanical watch. Just wish case was slimmer and a couple of mil smaller.
    Mine is about 3 seconds fast. I find the bracelet works well with the thickness of the case and surprisingly comfortable.

Craftsman
    My personal preference was a tropic strap for mine. Never tried the bracelet. I did read a few reviews that were not very impressed by the quality of bracelet and it did look a bit of an afterthought to me.

This is the beauty of watches though, you can swap and change straps and bracelets to your hearts content until you find your own nirvana.

Apprentice
    After the pub meet last week I am looking more and more at Grand Seiko, I fancy the Hi-Beat rather than the Spring Drive though. As I said previously, I will get another SLA017 just not until I give GS a shot!
    I've got a 70s King Seiko Hi-Beat. They are excellent movements. Don't have precise accuracy figures but it's equal or better to ETA2824s that I've owned.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I love mine and have found some great strap options. IMO the bracelet is awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Bracelt itself I think is ok-ish. The end links are absolutely cr*p though and the clasp not much better !
    Despite that as mentioned I think it will be a keeper which shows how good the dial/case/size is to compensate.

Owl1
    I was fancying one of these but ..not anymore .

Craftsman
    I'm not dumping mine; but I agree the bracelet clasp is poor and also the box is nothing to write home about considering the watch price point.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    I love mine and have found some great strap options. IMO the bracelet is awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please could you provide details for the tropic strap shown?

No idea as to the original question, but I don't think it's aged well in my opinion, Seiko designs seem to vary in how timeless they are in appearance

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern971 View Post
    No idea as to the original question, but I don't think it's aged well in my opinion, Seiko designs seem to vary in how timeless they are in appearance
    Really? I think 60s Seikos have never looked quite as good as they do now, and I’m far from alone in that. It’s why Grand Seiko have been getting so much attention with their historical series, and Seiko have extended the principle by releasing the SLA017 - the designs have not only aged well, they’ve become extremely desirable in the light of current vintage tastes. But each to his own I guess!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern971 View Post

Completely disagree
    The SLA017 is a superb re-jig of a classic watch.
    resisted the temptation to go too big which was a relief.
    Have had a few "new " watches in the last couple of years but this one hits the spot for me.

I think that indeed each to their own, it'd be a very boring place if we all liked the same things. It was just my opinion, and I am sure that my taste differs from many others

Craftsman
    I have to say that looking at the current prices and availability, nobody is by no means dumping these watches.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markm27 View Post
    Please could you provide details for the tropic strap shown?

Its an Uncle Seiko strap. He has a good website

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ollipekka View Post
    I have to say that looking at the current prices and availability, nobody is by no means dumping these watches.
    Agreed
    I was very lucky acquiring one from here recently but prices on these are pretty high with dealers and private sellers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Agreed
    I was very lucky acquiring one from here recently but prices on these are pretty high with dealers and private sellers
    Inevitably there were a few flippers soon after it came out, who got caught up in the initial excitement of the launch hype and glossy pictures, just as with Speedy Tuesdays etc.. They may have got cold feet over owning such an expensive Seiko that doesn’t even have ‘Grand’ written on it anywhere, and preferred to wear an expensive watch that others might recognise as expensive. But in the longer term it’s a looker and there will be plenty more buyers interested in having a go.

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm wondering what the settled & sober opinions are of any owners on here are.

I had an SBDX017 which I sold and now have the SLA021 which I love but it hasn't completely scratched the Seiko itch but perhaps that's me getting drunk off excitement as I picked up the SRPC49K1 on Friday.

What do we think, have prices bottomed? Is it worth the money? Is it worth a divorce?! What is fair value for an SLA017?

I've attached a pic of the current collection so you can see where it would fit in. Don't think I'd ditch anything to add it, but maybe the SRPC49K1 if push came to shove as personally I think three of a brand is more than enough.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 10th July 2019 at 18:41.

Blog Entries
    The only watch in my collection I would not sell. Perfect size and love everything about it.

Not sure at all about price. Suppose it depends how many are about for sale

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Master
    SLA017 is by far the best Seiko I have come across and it will be the only one from seiko that is going to stay.
    Had the SLA019 but sold it. Had at one time 4 different LE turtles, sold 2 with other 2 to go.
    Size, finish, crystal etc all really come together on the 017 and make it really work.
    Not really sure what they are going for now but I would personally sell any/all of the other Seiko’s you have to get one in the collection.

Wearing the SPB079 for size tonight. This is down as a 44mm and the SLA017 is a 39.9mm but somehow I think they will wear similar.

Think I'm going to have to try the SLA017 on. Hopefully the boutique in London has one to try on as they don't do discounts so are more likely to still have one in stock.

Craftsman
    I just checked Chrono24 to see what the prices are like these days- flippin heck....

I am glad I have mine already!

I just checked Chrono24 to see what the prices are like these days- flippin heck....

Absolute chancers! I would love one but not at those prices.

Blog Entries
    I love mine. Probably my favourite watch. Dont think you will get one of these for less than £3 k now.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    I love mine. Probably my favourite watch. Dont think you will get one of these for less than £3 k now.

I think you might be right, nothing on ebay at the moment either.

Craftsman
    Very happy with my sbdc053 if you put them side by side without knowing price and spec I'd probably still grab the 53.

Grand Master

I doubt,correction!,I know one wouldn't sell on here for anything close to those prices.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    I doubt,correction!,I know one wouldn't sell on here for anything close to those prices.
    Whats the going rate for one on here??

I think one went for 2.2-2.4 not too long ago. There was another for a out 2.7 or 2.8 which didn't go here but did go for more on eBay after. I've harassed a few members here for theirs but no such luck yet. Think it will be an excellent watch and hope it won't wear too small.

Master

Mine on Valencia beach at the moment
    It’s a take everywhere watch too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I think one went for 2.2-2.4 not too long ago. There was another for a out 2.7 or 2.8 which didn't go here but did go for more on eBay after. I've harassed a few members here for theirs but no such luck yet. Think it will be an excellent watch and hope it won't wear too small.
    I bought mine from Binsull just shy of 2.7 and I was happy with that.

I bought mine from Binsull just shy of 2.7 and I was happy with that.
    Ffs Binsull was one of the people I messaged a few months ago! Enjoy it. lovely watch and I'm very jealous.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Ffs Binsull was one of the people I messaged a few months ago! Enjoy it. lovely watch and I'm very jealous.
    Different one. I've had about 5!

Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    Oh dear lord keep me in mind for the next one! This guy needs a friend. I work one stop away and will buy the coffee

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    This was my 3rd! Staying in the collection this time.

This may be a daft question, but as a 62mas owner, I’m wondering what the general opinion of this watch is against the original 62mas.

I love the 6217 and wear it almost as often as my 5513. Surprisingly, the other watch which I wear almost as much and which seems to attract as many positive comments is my Seamaster 60, which is a very similar looking case, with a very different dial.

Master
    One of the features that does it for me is the crystal.
    It's almost like a Rolex Superdome on a 5513 or 1665 the way it makes the dial appear.
    The bezel insert too has got a nice retro feel to it.
    This watch is my only non-Rolex apart from a vintage Omega but probably gets more wrist time of any.

Blog Entries
    A brilliant watch.

Journeyman
    I have a lot of time for Seiko, but I’m a little surprised there is so much love for them in this forum. Is this a quirk or are they this loved generally?

Im still new to the watch world and learning every day.

I had this and the SLA025. Both lovely watches but the SLA025 is 2 levels up in quality however it does need a large wrist

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgillett View Post
    I have a lot of time for Seiko, but I’m a little surprised there is so much love for them in this forum. Is this a quirk or are they this loved generally?

Im still new to the watch world and learning every day.
    Seiko is one of the most important watch companies in the world at all levels. They do entry level stuff at £300 or so all the way through to amazing pieces at half a million quid. They are also responsible for several watch innovations. Anyone into watches who doesn't respect Seiko is missing a trick.

Personally I feel their Grand Seiko watches are the best watches you can buy in the £4k-£10k segment. Do check them out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I had this and the SLA025. Both lovely watches but the SLA025 is 2 levels up in quality however it does need a large wrist
    I can only take your word for the difference in quality as I've never had an SLA025 but I would say the SLA025 would be 2 levels below the SLA017 in aesthetics.
    I think thats the reason any SLA025's have struggled to sell on here.