closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car windscreen spray to prevent ice/frost

Tepid water (not hot), very quick and easy and the slight warming effect helps prevent the inside of the screen misting up.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I've never understood putting sheets and stuff over it. There's a bloke near me who ties down a hideous blue tarpaulin over his windscreen and has a fight with a messy, wet bit of tarp every winter morning! I just (as mentioned above) spend 5 seconds pouring a bit of luke warm water over and it's sorted. Why on earth you'd take messing about with some cover in the morning over that is an interesting one.

I think people are imagining windscreens are going to explode, even relatively cold water works. Obviously don't throw boiling water over but it's not like the glass of old these days.
    Has a windscreen even cracked with water from a kettle. Think the danger of this might be over-rated.

I use this stuff... it’s not anything magical - but it does seem to help;

If you have a car with start/stop economy function (and live in a decent area)...........

Start the car, put the blower on the screen, and the car will stop when the coolant is up to temperature.

(Go back inside during the above phase)

Al

Blog Entries
    Nah got heated screens now!!

Before that used to just have a 2litre of cold water and pour it over it. Frost gone.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Those spays are easily available here in Holland. The stuff has been around for ages and ages. Only last week, a consumer test site wrote that this stuff is not harmful for the window rubbers or paint. The smell is like the window washer's fluid. There's even a 'biological version' for sale here... (I suppose for environmentalists with an electric car?)
    Yup, that sounds like the stuff. It a revelation compared to scraping or waiting for a car to warm up.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Only last week, my youngest found a receipy for de-icing fluid in a chemistry book. 2/3 household vinegar and 1/3 distilled water. Add 5 - 10% isopropyl alcohol (the 70% alc. version, or higher when it's really cold) to prevent that the solution will freeze up in the bottle when left outside.
    Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Wouldn't it smell like piss after spraying that on??
    No. ;-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Ammonia spray removes ice and frost instantly, if I remember correctly. Doesn't prevent it; you just spray it on when you need to remove the cold stuff.

Apologies if that's not what you mean/need.
    This Carplan De Icer 500ml Spray and this Prestone LOYPDEI0101A Deicer Trigger, -40 Degree C, 500 ml look very much like the spray I was thinking of. I make no guarantees though as I haven't been able to test the two I've linked to.

On the flip side - regarding the after affects of ice, I can thoroughly recommend AUTOGYLM DE-ICER....
    it clears ice much much quicker than any other spray

Craftsman
    Another here who pours warm water on, been doing it for years. Stops the inside fogging up as the glass warms up, defrosts the sprayers too. Would love heated glass, you can get aftermarket heated screens for most cars which is a tempting mod.

Craftsman
    Inbuilt timed water heater (best option investment on a car)
    Works like a lorry night heater, program it to come on say at 6am, comemout of house at 6:30 and.car is lovely and warm with all windows clear👌

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Nah got heated screens now!!

Before that used to just have a 2litre of cold water and pour it over it. Frost gone.
    That's it heated screens and side mirrors..done

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    I have NEVER scraped a windscreen... all you need is a 2litre bottle of luke warm water to pour over the windscreen. Takes seconds.

Added benefit is that it clears the inside of the windscreen too.
    Second this!

During the winter months I keep a 2l bottle of room temp water in the porch and just start the car pour over the water run the wipers to remove the access before it refreeezes and job done.