closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My MUstang GT V8

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Fitted at Powers ?
    No.. he fitted it himself at home...the SC kits are very comprehensive and include everything down to the last clip, bolt and washer..

Master
    Well that’s the quad tips done on the tarted up Mustang.... also modified the Centre resonator for a more old school deep V8 rumble..

Last edited by Enoch; 24th January 2018 at 22:12.

I love this car!

Master
    What a beast and very interesting and informative thread - top man!

Master
    Chatting cars with my cousin earlier and he tells me that he’s toying with the idea of a fast ford but he’s undecided between a Focus RS and the Mustang. He said his heart says Mustang but his head says RS, he then went on to tell me that the Mustang only has a 2* Euro Ncap rating and that is putting him off.
    I was very surprised to hear it has such a low rating.

He wants to live forever - when he could have a Mustang?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    the Mustang only has a 2* Euro Ncap rating
    Wow. I’m really surprised (and mildly shocked) that a modern car has got such a poor rating.

Reminded me of Ford's latest Mustang offering: the "Bullitt." Named for the famous Steve McQueen movie/Mustang. I think it stickers for about $50k and pumps out 475 bhp.

I’d still have the old one, even though the new one is a much better car.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    That’s really nice!

I especially love the wheels. What sort of cost are they to buy, get painted a custom shade and then ship to the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Reminded me of Ford's latest Mustang offering: the "Bullitt." Named for the famous Steve McQueen movie/Mustang. I think it stickers for about $50k and pumps out 475 bhp.

The front of the 2018 Mustang looks constipated... it is seriously ugly compared to the current version!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Wow. I’m really surprised (and mildly shocked) that a modern car has got such a poor rating.
    This was discussed at length on the Mustang Forums. The conclusions were that the current Mustang loses out because It doesn’t have many of the so called driver aids that cars that score well have.

Ie blind spot warnings in the mirrors, active cruise control, pre collision assist, lane detection and a bit of other stuff..

Structurally the car is safe and performs well in frontal and side impact tests, but as I say the score relies a lot on driver aids which the Mustang doesn’t have...

To add a bit of perspective, The new Fiat Punto scores zero in the new ncap tests.

From a personal point of view, I came from motorbikes, to a 450bhp TVR made of plastic, with no air bags, no TC no ABS and no side protection.
    As far as I’m concerned the Mustang is probably the safest car I’ve ever owned..

Sometimes the headlines don’t tell the whole story..
    Last edited by Enoch; 5th February 2018 at 23:36.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    This was discussed at length on the Mustang Forums. The conclusions were that the current Mustang loses out because It doesn’t have many of the so called driver aids that cars that score well have.

Ie blind spot warnings in the mirrors, active cruise control, pre collision assist, lane detection and a bit of other stuff..

Structurally the car is safe and performs well in frontal and side impact tests, but as I say the score relies a lot on driver aids which the Mustang doesn’t have...
    Pretty sure they are not a factor in the ratings.
    My wife had a 2014 Honda Jazz which was really basic (not even air con) and that had a 5* rating.

To add a bit of perspective, The new Fiat Punto scores zero in the new ncap tests.
    To add the rest of the perspective, the 2017 Punto is essentially a face-lifted 2005 Grand Punto. In 2005, the G Punto gained 5 stars but the current version obviously hasn’t kept up with more modern safety standards and features.

Is the 2017 Mustang a face-lifted version of the 2005 model?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Pretty sure they are not a factor in the ratings.
    My wife had a 2014 Honda Jazz which was really basic (not even air con) and that had a 5* rating.
    Sorry you’re incorrect, they’re a big factor in the test..

Apologies if I sound defensive, but I really don’t believe the test is a true representation of vehicle safety.
    I mean if my 2 star Mustang, was in collision with your 5 star jazz, I don’t think I’d be the one whom came out worse off

There are 4 criteria. Adult occupant safety, child occupant safety, pedestrian safety and safety assist

The mustang scored 72, 32, 64, 16..... so good adult safety, not so good child, good pedestrian, and very poor safety assist.

The 2017 Mustang has been reassessed as 3 star, purely because it now has seat belt reminder, lane assist and AEB interurban (whatever that is) and the safety assist score has gone from 16 to 61 and 1 more star has been awarded.

Out of interest, looking at the tests, there are hardly any Coupes in the listing, no Aston Martins, no Jag Ftypes, and no Audi A5, all relatively popular cars.

If you’re interested you can read more about the ncap criteria here
    https://www.euroncap.com/en/vehicle-...ngs-explained/

Is the 2017 Mustang a face-lifted version of the 2005 model?
    I think it’s a completely new platform. The Ford designation is 6G which means 6th generation... pretty sure preceding model was 5G.

My MUstang GT V8

I mean if my 2 star Mustang, was in collision with your 5 star jazz, I don’t think I’d be the one whom came out worse off
    I don’t know what makes you believe this. Although your car is better than the Discovery in the following film, the rating is quite vindicated I think :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mLLanPwRgio

PS: there is also a test with a smaller car (renault modus) against a volvo 960, with similar results.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I don’t know what makes you believe this. Although your car is better than the Discovery in the following film, the rating is quite vindicated I think :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mLLanPwRgio

PS: there is also a test with a smaller car (renault modus) against a volvo 960, with similar results.
    Pure physics...
    Ncap itself says the following

“The Euro NCAP frontal impact tests simulates crashing a car into another of similar mass and structure. This means that the ratings can only be meaningfully compared between cars of the same type and size”

the Mustang weighes around 1800kg And has a bonnet that’s around 5ft long. The jazz weighes around 1100kg And has a 3 ft bonnet.
    Both cars will have airbags, and crumple zones etc but the fact is there is more to crumple on the bigger car, and the end of the car is further away from the driver.

You can say and think what you want, but in a 30mph head on collision I know which car I’d prefer to be in.

My old Jeep Grand Cherokee is only 3 star, in a collision would you prefer to be sat in a Jeep Grand Cherokee or the Jazz??
    Last edited by Enoch; 7th February 2018 at 11:54.

To answer your last question, the jazz.
    Your physics is not a reliable criteria, as it doesn’t take into account the dispersion of the impact through the car.
    To continue on the physics, your crumple zone works for both cars. The way to minimise the deceleration is to make it happen on the longest possible distance. So a jazz against a concrete wall will transmit a bigger deceleration than your mustang against a wall, because your crumple zone (and thus, the distance travelled by the passenger between the moment the bumper touches the wall and the moment they stop completely) is longer. However, when they hit each other the jazz continues to move through your own crumple zone, thus reducing the deceleration transmitted to the passengers.
    In theory, in a perfect head-on collision (car centre to car centre) your mustang, being heavier, will continue forward and the jazz go backwards, giving your passagers a smaller deceleration. But all tests are done with a more realistic side impact where both cars continue after a slight spin.

Master
    Despite what the experts, scientists and lab tests try to tell us, in the real world crashing is not an exact science.

We’ve all seen cars with significant impact damage, that drivers and passengers have walked away from with little or no injury. And then there are cars that show little damage, and someone has been badly hurt or worse.

Car design is so advanced now days I don’t believe there is such a thing as a dangerous modern car. As for all the driver assist stuff, I’d argue that some drivers think it absolves them from having to check mirrors for example, or even watch where they’re going.... don’t worry the car will beep at me if I’m wandering over the lines, or a motorbike is in my blind spot

This impact of my old TVR resulted in a broken wrist. And the car was later repaired as good as new. The car I hit was a complete right off and the driver spent a number of days in hospital with head injuries due to being struck by something within the car.
    Before

After

I think it’s a completely new platform. The Ford designation is 6G which means 6th generation... pretty sure preceding model was 5G.
    Which is even more surprising that it only scored 2/3 stars.

Even if it was designed as a ‘world vehicle’ from the start, such a poor safety rating does help perpetuate the cliche that US vehicles are fundamentally a bit rubbish.

Even if it was designed as a ‘world vehicle’ from the start, such a poor safety rating does help perpetuate the cliche that US vehicles are fundamentally a bit rubbish.
    Funny, although I drive a Range Rover HSE as my daily driver, my previous HSE was totaled in a crash yet the other guy was not. I was hit at speed, perforated my bowel in fact. He walked away and he was in an American car. I should have been driving my other car.

As far as the reputation of American cars being rubbish, I will match either one of my Corvettes (C5 & C7) to any Euro made car for bang for dollar/euro, safety, performance and reliability. Just my opinion of course.

Master

I suspect the 2018 model will score higher, due to the fitment of even more “safety assist” measures. Non of which will make a blind bit of difference in an actual collision, as the platform remains the same.

I personally think way to much emphasis is put on the safety assist score. Yes it may prevent an accident, but once the car is in an actual collision, only the structure, airbags, and crumple zones will be in effect, and in this area, the car scores at a reasonable level.

Anyway, the wife is happier, I’m off the bikes..so it’s all relative

2 stars: Nominal crash protection but lacking crash avoidance technology

Is how NCAP describe it, so presumably not great in a crash and not much crash avoidance tech either?

Regardless it’s way down my priority list when buying a car. I’ve had various Lotus’, TVRs and currently a Defender 90, none of which rate that well. I’m surprised a modern mass produced car doesn’t rate higher though.
    Last edited by Alex L; 6th February 2018 at 23:52.

The most effective crash protection in my Capri 280 is not to crash!

Any one have an idea if / when one of these could be ordered in the UK?

Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post

Master
    Sorry, how did this great thread get derailed by NCAP scores???

Anyway, I look forward to future updates. And I am not even a car guy.

Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    The most effective crash protection in my Capri 280 is not to crash!
    Same in my TVR ! It might not get one star NCAP but feels safer than any motorbike I've had.

(I'd take the Mustang over the Jazz any day the week.)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by simon-c View Post

Love it!
    The rumours on the U.K. forums, are that Ford won’t do it in RHD..

So the nearest we can get to a bullet car is my colour Guard Grey (green) which is no longer available.

Last edited by Enoch; 7th February 2018 at 11:16.

Just noticed that I received an email saying there are 0% apr finance deals on Mustangs now....presumably to clear the way for the new model.

Must resist....

Quote Originally Posted by simon-c View Post

Love it!
    I hate it when they alter ads like that - Everyone knows he drove a Puma!

Relive the glory here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uepRSJBzwGs

M

Master
    Just noticed that I received an email saying there are 0% apr finance deals on Mustangs now....presumably to clear the way for the new model.

Must resist....
    Damn it, did not need to read this!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Must resist....
    Still not got them on the scrappage...

Master

Must resist....
    Just to add to the mix. A chap on the Mustang forum managed to get £2k off and 0% apr😈😈

I might buy another🤡🤡

Master
    Just to add to the mix. A chap on the Mustang forum managed to get £2k off and 0% apr

I might buy another嵐嵐
    I used to love this thread, now I'm trying to resist.

Journeyman
    Do you , and I ask dangerously, have the link to the Mustang forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeeboy View Post
    Do you , and I ask dangerously, have the link to the Mustang forum?

Go to forums and navigate to the U.K. section..

https://www.mustang6g.com

Journeyman
    Thanks!

I ordered my 2018 Mustang Convertible at the beginning of December and received an e-mail from the dealer this morning saying my car is due on the production line in the next couple of weeks, and he'll get back to me when the VIN has been assigned. So maybe I'll get it late April/early May? This will be my 5th Mustang, and my first right hand drive. I went for a 10 speed automatic convertible in Orange Fury tri-coat. Quite a change from my 2012 Boss 302.

On the subject of cars being 'triple' coloured. The way it always used to be is describing lower paint, upper paint, and interior. So a triple black car would have a black body, black roof, and black interior. To me triple yellow is a nonsense.

:edit: I see Triple Yellow is the name of the colour. It's probably a description like tri-coat. rather than a description of the car.
    Last edited by Jim W; 16th February 2018 at 13:46.

Master
    That sounds great Jim... Orange fury would be my choice, and I’d also go for the 10 speed.

Did you pick the digital dash, magnaride or digital dash.??

That sounds great Jim... Orange fury would be my choice, and I’d also go for the 10 speed.

Did you pick the digital dash, magnaride or digital dash.??
    The digital dash is standard equipment on UK Mustangs. UK spec is much higher as standard than US spec cars. I figured with an automatic convertible the stock shock absorbers would be fine for my purpose. So I didn't order the Magneride. I had a similar thing on my Corvette and my new AMG Mercedes has it. TBH I don't use it much. My Boss 302 had adjustable dampers (with a screwdriver at each corner!) I was quite happy with the stock No2 position. So at £1,600 I didn't want the Magneride (maybe I would with a manual fastback!).

Master
    Came across a bit of American Muscle today.

Spoke to the owner

Well over 500 Bhp
    Enough torque to pull a house down
    Lifting capacity 75 tons
    Towing train weight 150 tons
    2.5 MPG

Last edited by Enoch; 13th March 2018 at 20:49.

Master
    Very nice. Always been a fan of American muscle cars, though obviously the difficulty of acquiring them not to mention the practicalities (size!) meant they've been on off the menu for me. But I hope one day to scratch the itch.

Your Mustang looks absolutely tremendous. Really nice tasteful modifications. Good to see it getting well used!

Master
    ^^^^ Thanks..... don’t be put off by the size, there are quite a few euro cars that dwarf the mustang.. BMW 6 series, and some of the big Audi saloons to name a couple👍👍

I'd never get the eight-wheeler on my drive. :(

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    I'd never get the eight-wheeler on my drive. :(
    More like fourteen-wheeler probably...and it's still a no

Craftsman
    What do you think of the 2018 front end with the softer look?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post
    What do you think of the 2018 front end with the softer look?
    I quite like it, but I’d need to see it in the flesh to give a proper opinion. I do think it suits the darker colours better than the lighter ones.

Master
    Despite what the experts, scientists and lab tests try to tell us, in the real world crashing is not an exact science.

We’ve all seen cars with significant impact damage, that drivers and passengers have walked away from with little or no injury. And then there are cars that show little damage, and someone has been badly hurt or worse.

Car design is so advanced now days I don’t believe there is such a thing as a dangerous modern car. As for all the driver assist stuff, I’d argue that some drivers think it absolves them from having to check mirrors for example, or even watch where they’re going.... don’t worry the car will beep at me if I’m wandering over the lines, or a motorbike is in my blind spot

This impact of my old TVR resulted in a broken wrist. And the car was later repaired as good as new. The car I hit was a complete right off and the driver spent a number of days in hospital with head injuries due to being struck by something within the car.
    I was close to buying a Chimaera a while back. Loved everything about it and then saw a photo of one that had been T-boned by a small van. I hadn't appreciated until then that the purpose of side impact bars is simply to create enough resistance that the tyres break traction and the impact energy is dissipated by the car being shunted sideways. It was only when the front bumper of the small van reached the central transmission tunnel that the TVR was pushed sideways, the passenger seat was mangled.

That was the end of the Chimaera project and why I stick to more modern cars!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    That was the end of the Chimaera project and why I stick to more modern cars!
    There’s no getting away from the fact that a side impact in a Griff or a Chim isn’t going to end well. The only thing stopping intrusion is the outrigger which is just for body support. My own Griff had a very substantial roll bar installed which offered a bit more side protection, but as we know, nowhere near a modern car

The irony is that the old TVR wedges from the 80’s had steel bars running through the doors. As did the later S6 engined cars Tuscan, T350, Tamoras, Sagaris and Cerbs etc..

Craftsman
    I'm no fan of American lumps but that is a handsome machine & I admire your dedication to making it "right" for you. Well done.