closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: My MUstang GT V8

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hoping to add this to my fleet. Same spirit, but 50 years older.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    ^^^^very nice😎👍

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post

Lovely. Right colour too!

Journeyman
    Any tips for a new owner, good forums/other purchases/making more exhaust noise...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Mustang 6G is good for info

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92

As for exhaust, there are so many on the market it’s hard to advise.... my favourites are Borla and Magnaflow. Both available from here

https://nemesisuk.com

I was at GT101, I hadn't realised they are so involved with mustangs

https://gt101.co.uk/s550-ford-mustan...des-servicing/
    Last edited by adrianw; 2nd June 2018 at 19:37.

I was at a Ford garage yesterday and they pulled round a Mustang triple yellow GT. the sound was amazing

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    That’s amazing mpg for the Mustang
    I was at Goodwood Breakfast Club a few weeks ago and the Mustangs had a good turnout. They looked great in all colours

- - - Updated - - -

That’s amazing mpg for the Mustang
    I was at Goodwood Breakfast Club a few weeks ago and the Mustangs had a good turnout. They looked great in all colours
    Over 200 Mustangs in one spot at Donington last month, Impressive.

Craftsman
    Keep coming back to this thread, I love Mustangs, ever since a teenager looking at pictures of them in the motoring mags of the time. Last year we went to USA and we hired a metallic blue soft top, ok it only had the ecoboost engine but I believe it still has 300bhp and was a fabulous drive so I guess your V8 with all the mods must be fantasticEnjoy, Cheers,John B4

I had a go in a new 10 speed Mustang GT today with quad exhaust tips.
    The sound was fantastic and I was impressed with the interior.
    Worked out at £47k though. I seem to recall the originally started out at £33k. I guess prices increases and exchange rates have taken their toll.
    I wonder how this new one will fair in depreciation compared to the previous model which has done very well.

Master
    ^^^^Yes it’s quite a jump in price, I paid £35k for mine fully optioned, but the new car is quite a step up, more power, magnaride suspension, recaros and active exhaust, plus the improved interior...
    Whether that all adds up to the price increase is questionable, but compared to Audi, BMW, and Merc I still think it offers value for money, plus it’s way cooler than the German offerings..

I’m thinking of upgrading for my 60th which is a few years away, so I’ll continue to enjoy what I have until then👍👍

What did you thing of the 10 speed??

The 10 speed was very smooth compared to the old 6. I really liked it. The dash was something else. You could change dials etc to so Many different variations. The one in the show room had normal seats which were very comfy. I went out on one with recaros and preferred the normal ones.
    Just got to try and afford one now !

Master
    Yes, I prefer the standard seats, so that’s £1600 saved.. as for the dash, I know they look great and you can have all sorts of displays, but I really like the old school analogue clocks, but everything moves on I suppose...

I need to get a test drive in a 10 speed with magnaride...👍

Banned
    Blog Entries

Enjoyable thread, apart from the nonsense about safety.
    When buying a car with a basically unreasonable amount of power (or weight) safety is only a band aid non-argument.

I owned two Mustangs. A 1973 battle ship castrated by primitive anti pollution devices with as biggest problem brakes that faded into nothingness. The other was a third gen. 2 doors with a 2.8 V6; a lot lighter and more nimble but even more neutered. Both very badly made cars.

Over here there are surprisingly many 5th gen. cars.
    The V8 burble makes the hairs on my arms stand up.
    I realy like the 1st gen. look of these cars and they manage to look rather compact in size too.

I totaly agree with that they stand out where the German autobahn burners are rather thirteen in a dozen but they are rather, well, not very subtle. A matter of taste.
    VFM they undoubtedly offer concerning performance and driving fun.

For the rest they suffer from the modern car syndrom; wide and heavy. No amount of horses can make up for that but than buyers of a Mustang are not looking for something nimble and boy, the sound on the videos here uffff
    Drove a V8 M3 recently and that sounds not like a V8 at all yet too was wide and heavy. Mind no critisim on that awesome car. Breathtakingly fast yet docile, but not for me.
    The Mustang, any Mustang regardless of the gen, has what soemone mentioned here earlier; an ´honest´ quality about them. Smplicity perhaps? Can imagine the 2018 complicating that. No surprise realy that some enthusiasts back out.

Oh and auto all the way!!!
    I só agree with that.

Mustangs; most are simply loveable uncomplicated brutes.

Enjoy OT!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Enjoyable thread.
    Mustangs; most are simply loveable uncomplicated brutes.

Enjoy OT!!
    Thanks Cilla, I think you “get it” and you’ve summed it up pretty well..

I took the car to a local car show on a village green in Wem (look it up) last Sunday, and it seems everyone loves a Mustang.

Young boys asking to sit in the car whilst mum or dad takes a photo, then mum or dad getting in and having a pic taken.
    Great fun and nice to share. Lots of questions, and lots of surprise when I tell them I regularly get 30mpg and that my last full service at Ford cost £133 pounds..

I’m having a few more mods done soon, and I’ve already done a mod on the exhaust to make it a bit quieter and make it more old school, I think it’s worked, everyone seems to like the sound..

Once I’ve finished I’ll try and do a short video update👍👍

Master
    New stripes fitted today... what’s known as “supersnake” style..

Master
    That looks great.

What wax / sealant are you using? Really looks wet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    That looks great.

What wax / sealant are you using? Really looks wet.

I had the full Gt tekniq treatment when the car was new (over 2 years ago).... All I’ve done since is snowfoam, rinse and dry with a microtowel..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I had the full Gt tekniq treatment when the car was new (over 2 years ago).... All I’ve done since is snowfoam, rinse and dry with a microtowel..
    Dry use only I’m guessing?

Never managed to get all the dirt off with snow foam on my daily, only the garage Queen.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Dry use only I’m guessing?

Never managed to get all the dirt off with snow foam on my daily, only the garage Queen.

24000 miles, seen plenty of rain, but not much use during the winter months..

Master
    Looks great. Love the coordinated badges.

Master

Update

A little update on the Mustang...

A strange fact is that the Mustang has a spare wheel well in the boot, but no spare wheel... it’s fitted with a compressor and a tyre sealant. Something I’m not that comfortable with.

Due to the amount of miles and foreign travel I do, I dread getting a flat, at silly O’clock on some German or French motorway, and then having to rely on recovery to get me to safety.

Ford themselves supply a spare wheel kit that includes a jack etc, but the wheel supplied can’t be used on the GT premium pack cars because it won’t go over the 6 pot Brembos.... a lot of the American owners don’t have PP cars so the spare will fit front or rear because they have 4 piston calipers on the front...

All EU GT’s are premium pack.

So, a USA company has put together a spare wheel kit that fits front and rear on UK premium pack cars.

I put some underlay down.

Wheel, jack and wheel brace fitted

Floor isn’t quite flat, but close enough.

Boot liner refitted.
    Last edited by Enoch; 21st November 2018 at 21:21.

Master
    Big upgrade coming for the Mustang...

One of the busiest threads on the Mustang forum is regarding fitting an 2018 mustang inlet manifold to a 2016-17 mustang, and enjoying a fair bit of extra power. Many cars with headers, tune and cold air intake are reporting over 500bhp. And indeed the first U.K. car converted has just made 520bhp...
    My car is similar spec to this one so I should get a similar result. I’m currently at around 455bhp

The manifold is well under £400 quid, and fitting is something I can do myself, I’ll need to update my mapping which is £50 quid. So for less than £500 all in, I should be getting a nice lump of extra power.... can’t use what it’s already got but it’s not about that...

Also did a lighting mod recently, when I got the shark fin DRL led’s fitted... I love the new look, and it should improve visibility to other road users..

Recent MPG

Craftsman
    Very nice!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I should be getting a nice lump of extra power.... can’t use what it’s already got but it’s not about that...
    Ah. Thanks for sharing that line of thought.
    It is diametrically opposed to mine.

Amazing fuel economy btw. Both for such an engine ánd for such a heavy car on that much rubber so combined it is a real WOW!
    Furthermore it is coherent proof of yoúr pudding.

Was on a school this morning (union work, long story involving c-company so will leave it at that) and the lady pricipal had a white 2016 cabrio (she did not know what engine).
    Impressive beast. The hood/bonnet appeared to be as high as the hard top of mine! It is not, far from as the Mustang is not that large at all but it sure looks the American musle part. Not my cup of tea so to speak but an impressive design feat it is!

Master
    Ah. Thanks for sharing that line of thought.
    It is diametrically opposed to mine.

Amazing fuel economy btw. Both for such an engine ánd for such a heavy car on that much rubber so combined it is a real WOW!
    Furthermore it is coherent proof of yoúr pudding.

Was on a school this morning (union work, long story involving c-company so will leave it at that) and the lady pricipal had a white 2016 cabrio (she did not know what engine).
    Impressive beast. The hood/bonnet appeared to be as high as the hard top of mine! It is not, far from as the Mustang is not that large at all but it sure looks the American musle part. Not my cup of tea so to speak but an impressive design feat it is!
    Thing is, this car is as much a hobby as it is transport. I like to tinker, and make the car more personal to me... that includes handling upgrades, power upgrades and aesthetics...

Bottom line is that on a day to day basis, my everyday car is an 2003 Yaris 1.0... completely anonymous, 50mpg and reliable.... And it’s actually fun to drive.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thing is, this car is as much a hobby as it is transport. I like to tinker, and make the car more personal to me... that includes handling upgrades, power upgrades and aesthetics...
    No critisism whatsover!
    I thought it a striking contrast how the car hobby can be totally opposed things to aficionados.
    Take ´tuning´. To me, and probably you, that means adjusting/upgrading engine/suspension but over here it main stream means bodywork kits and/or entertainment systems.

Bottom line is that on a day to day basis, my everyday car is an 2003 Yaris 1.0... completely anonymous, 50mpg and reliable.... And it’s actually fun to drive.
    Yes, I read so earlier and I totally get that.
    That Yaris underlines the dífferent kind of fun the driving experience would be over here, say from Málaga over the secundaries north into the mountains, in comparison to the muscled animal.
    Again two equally great experiences; just pushing different buttons.

Anyway; never mind táste, I think the modern generation Mustang an impressive piece of design and engineering with supercar level of go in a down to earth package with totally ´Mustang´ identity.

Master
    No critisism whatsover!
    I thought it a striking contrast how the car hobby can be totally opposed things to aficionados.
    Take ´tuning´. To me, and probably you, that means adjusting/upgrading engine/suspension but over here it main stream means bodywork kits and/or entertainment systems.
    Agreed... tuning to me means improving...

I started with the suspension & brakes, and was not only looking for better performance, but most important lighter weight.
    The front discs on the mustang weigh 28lbs each. Mine now weigh 14lbs each and are fully floating design.
    The callipers are stock 6 piston Brembos but with better pads.
    The rear brake set up was completely swapped for bigger but lighter discs, lighter callipers and separate handbrake calliper... total saving around 2kgs per side, but with much improved braking and better balance with the front brakes...

Next was lighter but wider wheels, updated and adjustable anti roll bars, and 25mm lower springs. I also fitted a lock out kit that ensures the rear subframe is central, and very stiff.
    All this achieved a car that is stiffer, but rides the bumps in a controlled manner, and is actually more comfortable.

On the engine, my upgrades consisted of getting a smooth power delivery, with no steps... a side effect was an increase from 410bhp to around 455bhp. The latest upgrade should get me above 500bhp, but make no mistake, if the drive is affected and I don’t like it, I’ll happily return to what I have now..

Banned
    Blog Entries

Your brake upgrade is right up my street.
    Better, way better, brakes ánd less unsprung weight at the same time is about the best you can do on any vehicle.
    Lighter wheels comes a close second.
    Money véry well spent imo.

Not so keen on wíder though. For one grip is more complicated than that and it comes with a downside. Oh and the tires are heavier which is a bad.

Cool mods though.

Enjoy!!

Last night topped up the MR2 at the local gas station. A neighbor pulled up and with the attendant drooled over it.
    On the other pump however was a white golf.
    An R32...
    They did not even séé it.
    So I pointed out that mine may look slick, the Golf actually ís and a LOT more so.
    They did not get it.
    The owner overheard me and winked.
    Got in his car and started.
    An aftermarked exhaust with MoT dodger flap.
    WOW to the power of WOW.
    The sound was such that you look around to see the tuned Maserati.
    He pottered over/off the drive and.... floored it. Mán that ripped and kept ripping way up the rev scale. Smooth electronic shifts, shifting shivers up the spine.
    My reflex was ´should have gone for one!´ but the reality is that I tried one and decided not to so I would live some more days. Still, whát a car!

Master
    The final power mod is now complete....fitting a new 2018 inlet manifold to the older cars is all the rage in the USA with good reason... it’s relativly cheap, and give good gains. So I had to go for it...

The result being 501BHP and 455FT/LBS of torque, and the engine is a bit of a rev monster, hitting the limiter at 7500 RPM..

The best bit is that on my ride home, I got the same MPG as I usually do..

Master
    The final power mod is now complete....fitting a new 2018 inlet manifold to the older cars is all the rage in the USA with good reason... it’s relativly cheap, and give good gains. So I had to go for it...

The result being 501BHP and 455FT/LBS of torque, and the engine is a bit of a rev monster, hitting the limiter at 7500 RPM..

The best bit is that on my ride home, I got the same MPG as I usually do..

That torque curve must make it a great drivers car on windy roads , seamless power available all of the time.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post

Did you but this?

Just ordered and had the stripe added today:

The s550 was a “gateway”

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post

Just ordered and had the stripe added today:
    Oh mán, that is swéét! From when Mustangs were still pony weight!!
    A ´65 GT?

Oh mán, that is swéét! From when Mustangs were still pony weight!!
    A ´65 GT?
    Indeed (well style, new carb, disk brakes and grill) , and most importantly solid! A completely different driving experience:)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    That torque curve must make it a great drivers car on windy roads , seamless power available all of the time.
    Steve
    Cheers Steve, yes there’s plenty of umph from the lower end, but once you get above 3000rpm, if you keep the motor spinning between 3k and 6k you could quite easily lose your licence or worse.

I’m not a particularly fast driver, and much prefer torque than BHP.. this car now has plenty of both for my needs.

It sounds great too... I’ll get a video up of the Dyno pulls😈😈

Master
    Indeed (well style, new carb, disk brakes and grill) , and most importantly solid! A completely different driving experience:)
    Looks stunning..what a cool car.👍👍

Banned
    Blog Entries
    4 barrel on an HO 289?
    Did you have the old points ingnition/distributor replaced by a look alike swap out electronic unit?
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 30th November 2018 at 08:08.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cheers Steve, yes there’s plenty of umph from the lower end, but once you get above 3000rpm, if you keep the motor spinning between 3k and 6k you could quite easily lose your licence or worse.
    Would be that worse over here, definitely; the combo hard tarmac/split/lime mud and steep inclines has two sides.
    The sound though. Mán... though my motoring philosophy is diamatrically opposed I totally gét yours; a spine tingling experience without nééding to push any driving envelop. And the looks you must get when you ´burble´ along through town. Grin factor does not cover it I imagine.
    Enjoy!

4 barrel on an HO 289?
    Did you have the old points ingnition/distributor replaced by a look alike swap out electronic unit?
    It has indeed, it was imported and “lightly” modified as a custom order, it’s also had modern air conditioning (which I’m not keen on) and power disks on the front (which I am) - the guy cancelled the order and as I’d been let down on another I’d imported (wasn’t the car on the pictures and the guy who “inspected” the car gave me most of the money back) I snapped it up, just in time for winter!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=6nG3RQ8ff00

Looks stunning..what a cool car.👍👍
    Cheers! Still tinkering with my s550 (thanks again for the sound tube delete video) it’s a bit addictive as I forget how much I’ve done, the 65 is a different challenge but the same DNA:)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It has indeed, it was imported and “lightly” modified as a custom order, it’s also had modern air conditioning (which I’m not keen on) and power disks on the front (which I am) - the guy cancelled the order and as I’d been let down on another I’d imported (wasn’t the car on the pictures and the guy who “inspected” the car gave me most of the money back) I snapped it up, just in time for winter!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=6nG3RQ8ff00
    Thanks for the link.

Congrats with snapping up that opportunity!

Can imagine that the car does not need airco in the UK. With the vertical windows, small glass surface, that lovely hartop would not need it even here!

If I remember correctly, the HO289/GT came with front discs off the line. Not sure about power assistance.

Anyway, again, congrats!!

Master

Dyno Video

Last edited by Enoch; 30th November 2018 at 21:17.

Thanks for the link.

Congrats with snapping up that opportunity!

Can imagine that the car does not need airco in the UK. With the vertical windows, small glass surface, that lovely hartop would not need it even here!

If I remember correctly, the HO289/GT came with front discs off the line. Not sure about power assistance.

Anyway, again, congrats!!
    I’m with you on the aircon. I’d rather listen to the V8 with the windows down!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I’m with you on the aircon. I’d rather listen to the V8 with the windows down!
    and wínding those down is no trouble yet reliable. Mán am I loath of all the times I have had to pull the door panels off; in particular of the sticky crud used to stick the plastic sheet on the door frame.
    Oh and don´t start me on the weird logic of the automatic central locking systems for your own safety.
    Never saw the sense in having a 5 doors for kids and the put child locks on the read doors. A 3d gives you better accees and the kids a re SURE not to open theirs. But hey, that is marketing for you. Making cars more expensive, heavier, less economic etc. and above all less fun; for that less = more.

Master
    Well Cilla, I’m going to call the intake manifold install a failure. It’s going to be removed and returned to stock, so I’ll be back at 450bhp instead of the 500...

Why you may ask? The main reason is that I’ve lost some midrange and to access the extra power I’m above 5500rpm.

Basically even in second gear I can get to almost 80mph. I’d end up in prison if I tried to get all that power down in the higher gears, so lesson learnt, it’s totally pointless.

The car is plenty quick enough with the stock intake, but it’s not only more accessible, the whole car is nicer and more relaxing to drive... it’s also more economical.

Part of the problem is the gear shift strategy that comes with the tune, it won’t change gear until the revs are up by the redline at over 7000 rpm. It’s all a bit manic, and my mechanical sympathy side says I don’t need to be doing this to make progress.

The good thing is that once the intake is removed, I have a buyer and have got most of my money back..👍👍

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well Cilla, I’m going to call the intake manifold install a failure. It’s going to be removed and returned to stock, so I’ll be back at 450bhp instead of the 500...

Why you may ask? The main reason is that I’ve lost some midrange and to access the extra power I’m above 5500rpm.

Basically even in second gear I can get to almost 80mph. I’d end up in prison if I tried to get all that power down in the higher gears, so lesson learnt, it’s totally pointless.

The car is plenty quick enough with the stock intake, but it’s not only more accessible, the whole car is nicer and more relaxing to drive... it’s also more economical.

Part of the problem is the gear shift strategy that comes with the tune, it won’t change gear until the revs are up by the redline at over 7000 rpm. It’s all a bit manic, and my mechanical sympathy side says I don’t need to be doing this to make progress.

The good thing is that once the intake is removed, I have a buyer and have got most of my money back..

Not fun that.
    Good news though that you can recoup most of the outlay.
    Also your car is way fast and übercool sounding as it is.

It stands to reason really. Hardly éver is there a power gain without a trade off. From there it simply depends on whether you like the benefit more than the loss.
    Shedding weight usually has no or hardly any draw back. What you did with the wheels and brakes per example is all win.

Master
    I made a similar mistake many years ago.... I had hankered over a Honda CRX v-Tec for years. 1.6 16v with 157 BHP if I remember correctly... 9000 RPM redline..

It was an absolute hooligan machine, but driving it at high revs all the time became tiresome so it was sold..

Great fun, but really should have used it as a trackday car instead of on the roads.

Master
    If I was going to have a Mustang it would have to be a Shelby, better still one of these...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I made a similar mistake many years ago.... I had hankered over a Honda CRX v-Tec for years. 1.6 16v with 157 BHP if I remember correctly... 9000 RPM redline..

It was an absolute hooligan machine, but driving it at high revs all the time became tiresome so it was sold..

Great fun, but really should have used it as a trackday car instead of on the roads.
    With the MR2 it is all the fad to swap the ´long´ stroke torquier 1zz engine for the higher revving short stroke 2zz because is has more top en power. As you observe great for track days but on country roads??
    Thus I am faffing about with half a dozen simple mods to the standard 1zz, none of which will give any noticeable extra at the top end but all of which make the already tractable engine, more tractable still.
    Ok, maybe 2 or 3 Falabellas extra but regardless, the 140 standard ponies are enough to get your drivers´ license in trouble aready. Gétting there smoother and with more ease however, that is something you appreciate from a corner steeply uphill.

Btw. a very popular supersimple cheap mod. to the 1zz is a different intake horn to the air filter box. That is súch a spot on example of the above. This pipe doés give some horses more but at a price; it shifts the torque curve up the rev scale; what is gives at the one and it taketh at the other. Pick your choice. I am sticking with the OEM thing.

Sounds very much like the integra type-r I had