closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fibre Broadband Speeds

Fibre Broadband Speeds

Just come to the end of a year with VirginMedia and the end of a promotional period so the bill has shot up. I previously had 300Mb broadband but am not willing to pay over £60 per month for this! By downgrading the speed to 100Mb, the bill is almost halved.

My internet use is mainly surfing, occasional streaming of a film/music and permanent connections to nest/hue etc. In addition to this, there is only ever a maximum of two internet users at any time.

I was wondering...is 300Mb total overkill and will I see much real world difference surfing/occasionally streaming music and film on a 100Mb connection?

Master
    NO

Only two in our house and similar use to you and manage with only 22mb

Master
    Similar usage to you and 20 is fine.

Master
    We manage to surf and stream quite a lot with a standard line from Sky. Probably get around 20mbps.

Craftsman
    We have 2mb/s and can stream most stuff on iplayer amd netflix - 20mb/s is more than ample for your use

You need about 25 megabits per second to stream 4k effectively, so it depends what you are streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by danmiddle2 View Post
    You need about 25 megabits per second to stream 4k effectively, so it depends what you are streaming.
    I get about 2.5mbps and steam 4K fine from Netflix amazon and YouTube.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post

tbh I think that's an impossibility; just do the maths on the pixel rate. Netflix site clearly says you need 25meg for 4K. I'm thinking the server must be dropping the quality down to cope with your slow connection. In which case paying extra for 4K (or even HD) is a waste of money. Goto the on screen netflix test page and it'll tell you what your connection is capable of.

Oh and in reply to the OP.... anything more than c. 30meg is, IMHO, not noticeable. At the end of the day the web servers at the other end can't cope. Plus if the final leg is over wifi then forget it!

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    tbh I think that's an impossibility; just do the maths on the pixel rate. Netflix site clearly says you need 25meg for 4K. I'm thinking the server must be dropping the quality down to cope with your slow connection. In which case paying extra for 4K (or even HD) is a waste of money. Goto the on screen netflix test page and it'll tell you what your connection is capable of.

Oh and in reply to the OP.... anything more than c. 30meg is, IMHO, not noticeable. At the end of the day the web servers at the other end can't cope. Plus if the final leg is over wifi then forget it!
    The clarity is EXACTLY that of my my 4K dvd and sky q 4K

Maths or not. It works. And is highly noticeable. I occasionally get a lower resolution but it resets within 5 mins.

I didn’t expect it to work when I bought the tv but it does.

Master

Maths or not. It works. And is highly noticeable. I occasionally get a lower resolution but it resets within 5 mins.

Wow I learn new laws of physics every day ;-)

PS suggest try the netflix test...

24mb does everything for me which is just as well as the local area maxes out at only 30mb.

I’ve got around 36mb on EE which is plenty for everything.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

It may ‘look’ the same but this will be processing in the tv there is no way 2.5mb can sustain a 4K stream this might clarify why if you are interested in the detail.

https://www.dacast.com/blog/bandwidt...ng-live-video/

Master
    To answer the original poster. No you will see no difference at all. In fact you could probably get away with far less than 100Mbps. My son has the 100Mbps service in his student house for 4 of them with no issues. They will hammer it compared to you I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    I’ve got around 36mb on EE which is plenty for everything.
    Same here, 3 phones/tablets, Echo dot (music streaming) and film streaming often happening at once in our house and 25-35mb with EE does the job just fine
    Last edited by Jonboy; 29th November 2017 at 14:21.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
    Same here, 3 phones/tablets, Echo dot and film streaming often happening at once in our house and 25-35mb with EE does the job just fine
    Worth considering the number of IPTV streams that will run consecutively. 2 TVs doing HD streaming is about 10meg (according to netflix). 4K TV is 25 meg per stream so 2 TVs would need 50 meg. So 25-35meg internet speed is fine for 'normal' use even with a couple of tellys doing HD but if you start doing 4K then it's a different matter. btw tried 4K from netflix for about 3 months and then went back to HD.... it really didn't seem to be worth the extra money especially when the choice of 4K material was really quite poor.

Wow I learn new laws of physics every day ;-)

PS suggest try the netflix test...
    Apologies - Netflix subscription is HD not 4k. Amazon prime is 4k and shows as playing 4k/UHD

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    It may ‘look’ the same but this will be processing in the tv there is no way 2.5mb can sustain a 4K stream this might clarify why if you are interested in the detail.

https://www.dacast.com/blog/bandwidt...ng-live-video/
    But what I'm saying is that my connection shows what appears to be 4k content - and if that is due to TV processing, then fair enough.

Back to the OP - one thing not being covered is download/uploads. Do you do much of this other than the usage you mention in your post? This is where my own connection kills me as it takes hours to download stuff off Sky for example or apps. Thankfully, fibre is currently being connected in my village so I'll be signing up as soon as I can for significantly improved download/upload speeds

300Mb ->100Mb should be fine.

One thing to ask is if they reduce the amount you can download.

Our village recently had FTTP installed and I instantly knew it would have to be 330/30 or nothing. Imagine my rage when every evening the speed decreases from 300-220-180-140 and down until it hits around 70mbps. I’ve been on the phone to BT and I’m getting nowhere.. It has to be contention in the system, but bloody hell BT you’re charging me £60pm !!!

But what I'm saying is that my connection shows what appears to be 4k content - and if that is due to TV processing, then fair enough.
    It'll be due to up-scaling or equivalent feature of your TV, you simply can't squeeze 4K over 2.5.

Craftsman
    Virgin fibre 220 all day long

Master
    I’ve had the free upgrade to 100mb from 70mb with virgin, stream most of my media and have always got 2 iPads and iPhones on the go at the same time & more than adequate for prime UHD and 4k Netflix content. Save the money and downgrade

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

74/20

I'm not sure about that.

Here's what my traffic looks like viewing a 4K Netflix stream.

Looks like it grabs a chunk of the video to start off with then sits under 20 MBPS.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nogbad The Bad; 30th November 2017 at 11:15.

unless you move large files everyday, I don't think you will notice any difference between 100 and 300mbps in real life.

Master

Why do you say that? I'm on a 100mbps connection with wifi right now and using wifi has no effect on my internet speed (110mbps according to speedtest). And this is in a house with over 20 computers/phones/tablets connected over wifi.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Why do you say that? I'm on a 100mbps connection with wifi right now and using wifi has no effect on my internet speed (110mbps according to speedtest)
    Usually, okay NOT always, the wifi connection can end up being the slowest part of the leg. This is especially true if the wifi is being accessed from a different room. Okay there's always someone that will say otherwise but usually usually this is so.

Blog Entries
    Have done fibre with Utility Warehouse, and get 38mbps down and 10 upload - very steady and no prob. constantly good connection for streaming etc. Particularly impressed with the customer service, great on the phone. Price including unlimited international is approx £45 pm

BWs
    franco, Sheffield