closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Amsterdam........

Amsterdam........

I'm off here with some friends first weekend of January for my 40th, can anyone recommend any good places to go in the day and to eat at night?

I have been there before but only for stag do's which is a totally different kettle of fish ;-)

We are going as couples this time around!

Cheers

Journeyman
    Cau or gauchos for steak and The butcher nine streets for one of the best burgers I've tried.
    Last edited by Mulliner86; 26th November 2017 at 17:22.

Amsterdam in the Dark is a fun dining experience

http://ctaste.nl/

Or this is a big open plan ex garage with great food

https://hoteldegoudfazant.nl/

Tables are basic but food is good and it is very much one that you will only be taken to by a local

Sorry I got the restaurant wrong - now corrected
    Last edited by MB2; 26th November 2017 at 22:32.

Master
    I went for dinner at De Jonge Dikkert when I was there earlier this year. It’s an old windmill and whilst it’s a bit of a trip out from the centre the food was great.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Sky Bar at the Double Tree is rather nice.

The Acura Hotel (Spelling) has the best Japanese Restaurant. Mega pricey.

Birds in the central Red Light Area is an excellent budget Thai.

There is a excellent Dutch restaurant (the Silver fork - but in Dutch) right next door to the Renascence Hotel - the building is about 400 years old and worth visiting just for that. The food is excellent but not cheap.

I

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    I went for dinner at De Jonge Dikkert when I was there earlier this year. It’s an old windmill and whilst it’s a bit of a trip out from the centre the food was great.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If it's the place I am thinking of its in Amstelveen. It translates to "Fat Boy" (I was told) if its the place I am thinking of. Very good, especially the veal.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Cafe de Klos for some incredible BBQ. Very much a casual affair, you'll be lucky to get a table, most of it is benches and stools (so if you want a table, turn up early or be prepared to wait in the bar across the street). Always top of our to-do list when going to Amsterdam though.

Blog Entries
    Tempo Doloe - Malaysian for Times Gone By in the Utrechtsestraat for real Indonesian food. Same as Kantjik and the Tiger in the Spuistraat (street).
    De Kas (The Plant Nursery) a restaurant located inside a large nursery where the restaurant grows their own vegs.
    Restaurant Riva near the Zuid As (South Axe).

But perhaps this works as well: https://www.thefork.com

M

Craftsman
    http://brasserieharkema.nl/
    Contemparory version of the classic brasserie in old cigar warehouse

http://restaurantdekas.nl/
    Fabulous restaurant in a greenhouse where what's on your plate was just harvested....

http://www.restaurantanna.nl/?lang=en
    Spectacular food in the Red Light District next to the Old Church

http://www.haesjeclaes.nl/?language=en_EN
    Like our mothers used to cook, but much better, in six historical houses

http://www.tempodoeloerestaurant.nl
    Most popular restaurant for traditional "Rijsttafel"

http://www.supperclub.com/html/amsterdam/
    A feast for all senses

http://www.bridgesrestaurant.nl/
    Simply the best fish restaurant in town

http://www.bussia.nl/
    Fine Italian dining with an elegant ambience in the heart of Amsterdam
    http://www.pastini.nl
    Small italian great food and wonderful views over 2 canals

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Cafe de Klos for some incredible BBQ. Very much a casual affair, you'll be lucky to get a table, most of it is benches and stools (so if you want a table, turn up early or be prepared to wait in the bar across the street). Always top of our to-do list when going to Amsterdam though.

I know it well. The ribs are epic. It's a proper spit and sawdust place.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Apprentice
    If you fancy a burger for lunch or perhaps midday snack - A place called Artisani i highly recommend.

Went a few months ago, gourmet burgers 100% ground beef. Funny you mention stag’s - due to go again in a few months after the New Year.

Safe travels and have a good Birthday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I know it well. The ribs are epic. It's a proper spit and sawdust place.
    No argument there, although my partner is still going on about the lamb. Fantastic atmosphere.

Blog Entries
    During the day:

Heineken Experience, The Rijks Museum, the Van Gogh Museum and the Stedelijk Museum (all located together within 500m walking distance). The PC Hooftstraat for seriously expensive shopping.

More located towards the town center: De Negen Straatjes (The Nine Streets) for nice shops and vintage watches. A trip in a Canal Boat (seriously, it's all for tourists but great fun). The Anne Frank House. Go there very, very early to avoid queues.

Near the Central Station: The Maritime Museum (originally the Admirality of Michiel de Ruyter - remember Chatham?); the Nemo Experience - although I don't know if it's in English. More to the SE: the Hermitage.

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    During the day:

Heineken Experience, The Rijks Museum, the Van Gogh Museum and the Stedelijk Museum (all located together within 500m walking distance). The PC Hooftstraat for seriously expensive shopping.

More located towards the town center: De Negen Straatjes (The Nine Streets) for nice shops and vintage watches. A trip in a Canal Boat (seriously, it's all for tourists but great fun). The Anne Frank House. Go there very, very early to avoid queues.

Near the Central Station: The Maritime Museum (originally the Admirality of Michiel de Ruyter - remember Chatham?); the Nemo Experience - although I don't know if it's in English. More to the SE: the Hermitage.

Menno
    Just to say that the Anne Frank House is now ticket only, you can book a slot on line but check well in advance of your trip: http://www.annefrank.org/en/Museum/P...-ticket-sales/ It is incredibly poignant. If you cannot obtain a ticket, may I recommend a visit to The Jewish Historical Museum, it's worth a visit in any event.

En ja, ik herinner me Chatham. Mogen we dat stukje van het Britse schip terug hebben, alsjebileft? Het is op dit moment op de tweede verdieping van het Rijks Museum. :) Bedankt.

D

Blog Entries
    I didn't know that about the AF museum; it's been a while since I visited that. Even better.

This is an interesting site as well: https://www.iamsterdam.com/en In English, off course. When using public transport, you need a pass. Check here how to obtain one: https://en.gvb.nl/ontdek-amsterdam/g...meerdagenkaart

When traveling from Schiphol to Amsterdam, use a taxi (mostly Teslas). For a lot of tourists, the first time they get the chance to experience a trip in a Tesla. Public transport towards the city center can be havoc: always crowded with tourists and suitcases. We sometimes take a train away from the city center and on the first station, we transfer onto a metro that goes to the center from another 'angle'. Often quicker and more comfortable.

When traveling from Schiphol to Amsterdam, use a taxi (mostly Teslas). For a lot of tourists, the first time they get the chance to experience a trip in a Tesla. Public transport towards the city center can be havoc: always crowded with tourists and suitcases. We sometimes take a train away from the city center and on the first station, we transfer onto a metro that goes to the center from another 'angle'. Often quicker and more comfortable.
    I've found that taking the train from the airport to Centraal is quicker and easier than taking a cab (as well as being miles cheaper of course).

Avoid cabs: they are a complete rip off. If you don't want to use the train uber it.

I went to a restaurant called Ron's Gastrobar (used to have a Michelin star but he ditched it as he wanted to have more freedom). That was terrific

If you want steaks, I am a big fan of Loetjes (not the one by Centraal St though). For vino try Vyne and for cocktails 'Hiding in plain sight' is pretty good if expensive. Also worth getting a drink in 'de Toren' at the top in the North across the river for the views.

If you want slightly different (and maybe more local) I suggest a night in the 'food hallen' on a Fri or Sat night - some good nibble eating, vino and g&ts. The bar/restaurant in the back is fantastic later on for drinks (also for dinner) - there is a faux pool too (sadly no water to dip in...) which can lead to some great nights

I can give tons of more local recommendations if you can be even more specific in what you want....

Drop in here, they were very friendly and got a load of stock out for me to try. The prices were top end and even though I said i wasn't buying they still gave me plenty of time.

https://amsterdamvintagewatches.com

Many thanks for all the replies gents, plenty to digest!

We ate at Restaurant Johannes (http://www.restaurantjohannes.nl/en/) in March. Excellent. Also Restaurant Adam (http://www.restaurantadam.nl/). Stayed just off Vondelstraat in an AirBNB. Museums by day, with shopping in the Nine Streets, De Pijp, etc.

Master
    Im taking the wife this Friday for a long weekend and so wanted to bump this thread up to see if anyone could recommend any other nice restaraunts alongside what has already been shared.

We are off to supperclub Saturday night and Im definitely going to make a point to call in cafe de klos but that still leaves Sunday vacant -

Also we do love a roof top bar and a cocktail so if anyone has any knowledge please share

Thanks

Craftsman
    We had 3 days before Christmas. Body Worlds was good (if it is your thing) your can bid for tickets on-line depending on how busy they are you might get in cheaper. Also, very good was the new "This is Holland' experience. It is across the river from the central station, take the free ferry. I found a few second hand watch shops, but couldn't linger :(

A trip in a Canal Boat (seriously, it's all for tourists but great fun). The Anne Frank House. Go there very, very early to avoid queues.
    Menno
    Definitely the canal boat trip... the one we took took us into the harbour too. If your going to Anne Frank house book on line before you go. We went straight in even though the queue was at least 100 yds long.

Master
    Beers, cheese and sausage snacks (of the non-stag type): Proeflokaal Arendsnest

De Luwte, nice cosy non trendy, top food restaurant.

We stayed in the Canal House round the corner from these, nice garden out the back for cocktails. If it's sunny!

Blog Entries
    We had dinner at the restaurant Blauw at the Amstelveenseweg, west side of the Vondelpark last Saturday. Good Indonesian food - reminiscent of the time that Indonesia was still called Dutch (East) Indies.

The Heineken experience near the Museumpark (Rijks Museum, Van Gogh Museum etc) is fun as well. As are the prementioned Museums.

In general: when you can get tickets in advance, buy them online and make sure you have 'm at hand. It saves you a lot of time queueing with allllllll those other people.

Menno

We had dinner at the restaurant Blauw at the Amstelveenseweg, west side of the Vondelpark last Saturday. Good Indonesian food - reminiscent of the time that Indonesia was still called Dutch (East) Indies.

The Heineken experience near the Museumpark (Rijks Museum, Van Gogh Museum etc) is fun as well. As are the prementioned Museums.

In general: when you can get tickets in advance, buy them online and make sure you have 'm at hand. It saves you a lot of time queueing with allllllll those other people.

Menno
    Also on the west side of Vondelstraat are a couple of Ethiopian restaurants which are actually pretty good. Interesting food and St George’s isn’t a bad bottle of beer.

You're probably referring to the one's on Overtoom - frustratingly slow, though yes the food is not too bad.

Over the last months the best discovery I have had is 'Happyhappyjoyjoy' - random name, but outstanding Asian cuisine and decent cocktails too. Very trendy, so book in advance!

Someone mentioned Amstelweenseweg and there really are some very good restaurants there (not been to Blauw), an excellent Pizza place and a great meat joint. Let me know if interested and I'll dig the names up.

If you want afternoon/tea time I also discovered De Drive Graefjes on Rokin is not bad at all, can't believe I've walked past it all this time and not noticed it!

If anything specific let me know and I'll try to recommend something (I'm personally not a fan of supper club, but understand the appeal).

Master
    Appreciate all the responses and keen to learn more about Amsteelweenseweg

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    You're probably referring to the one's on Overtoom - frustratingly slow, though yes the food is not too bad.

Over the last months the best discovery I have had is 'Happyhappyjoyjoy' - random name, but outstanding Asian cuisine and decent cocktails too. Very trendy, so book in advance!

Someone mentioned Amstelweenseweg and there really are some very good restaurants there (not been to Blauw), an excellent Pizza place and a great meat joint. Let me know if interested and I'll dig the names up.

If you want afternoon/tea time I also discovered De Drive Graefjes on Rokin is not bad at all, can't believe I've walked past it all this time and not noticed it!

If anything specific let me know and I'll try to recommend something (I'm personally not a fan of supper club, but understand the appeal).

Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    Appreciate all the responses and keen to learn more about Amsteelweenseweg
    So quite a few potential places in that area:

Ron Gastro if you want high end,
    Mangia Pizza does a cracking pizza - i heard the chef has changed, but the quality is still the same;
    Carnivore for the absolute meaty lover in you;
    Around the corner about 5 mins walk from Ron Gastro is a cracking burger joint called The Happy Bull;
    At the top of Amstelweenseweg (cross section with Overtoom) is a restaurant called Moer - this maybe a bit of a gem a set 5/6 course meal with matching wines. I've not been but I've only heard fantastic things.

Out of the lot, for maybe a Fri night, I'd try and get a booking at Moer, you can after sample a few of the bars at that end of Overtoom too.

Master
    Perfect!!!

Duly booked Moer for tomorrow, supperclub for saturday and with the numerous recommendations Im sure Ill find somewhere for Sunday

Thanks all

Blog Entries
    I was discussing my dinner at Blauw's Indonesian restaurant with a friend who has Indonesian roots. He mentioned a restaurant that I've named here before: Kantjil and the Tiger https://www.kantjil.nl/en/ at the Spuistraat in the city centre. Worth checking out.

Menno

Blog Entries
    Got to do the rijsttafel and been a lot of years but do they still do the Poffertjes near Dam Square?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Got to do the rijsttafel and been a lot of years but do they still do the Poffertjes near Dam Square?
    Haven't been there for a while, but I am sure they're still there. In the past, these 'poffertjeskramen' were mobile and the owners travelled from town with the annual fairs and the circus. Later (and now) they're stationary - mainly for tourists.

Make sure you get a healthy dose of stroopwafels as well. Easiest and cheapest way: buy them at Albert Heijn (AH). Grocery stores with this logo:

Stroopwafels bought at these shops cost next to nothing and are pretty tasty. Granted, really freshly backed from the daily market smell soooooo good. Poffertjes taste fine, but the smell and tasteof fresh stroopwafels is much, much better!

I was discussing my dinner at Blauw's Indonesian restaurant with a friend who has Indonesian roots. He mentioned a restaurant that I've named here before: Kantjil and the Tiger https://www.kantjil.nl/en/ at the Spuistraat in the city centre. Worth checking out.

Menno
    Quite a few good places for Indonesian in Amsterdam and thats not taking into account the many takeaway place where they loads up the food for 10 euros! A friend of mine has a quality place in Nieuw-West - JUN indonesian. A bit pricey but I do enjoy the food there.

Master
    We went to Moer last night as recommend and I have to say it was one of the best meals I’ve had - we opted for the 7 courses with wine and were treated to a wonderful concution of foods and some exceptional wines and the atmosphere was fantastic.

We’re going to try cafe de klos today for the ribs which get rave reviews and will duly report back

Highly recommended - thanks T-Z

Apprentice

Alcoholic

You need to get a grip mate.
    When I went there the food was poor and the waiter was a rood.

Apprentice

Pizza

And for the record, pizza can and never will be high end.
    Unless you rate a big Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy 264 View Post
    You need to get a grip mate.
    When I went there the food was poor and the waiter was a rood.
    Thank you for your informed opinion, goodbye!

Apprentice

Dam

Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    We went to Moer last night as recommend and I have to say it was one of the best meals I’ve had - we opted for the 7 courses with wine and were treated to a wonderful concution of foods and some exceptional wines and the atmosphere was fantastic.

We’re going to try cafe de klos today for the ribs which get rave reviews and will duly report back

Highly recommended - thanks T-Z

Master
    Cafe de klos was closed for refurbishments so we had ribs at carnivale royale - very good
    Last edited by R0bertb00th; 5th February 2018 at 18:18.

Master

And a couple from Friday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cafe de Klos is epic, we managed to get in there on our trip, didn't need feeding for the rest of the day!