closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nice bottle of wine lately?

If you’re from West/Central Scotland, this’ll provoke a snigger...

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Porta 6 from Majestic. Crappy looking label but drinks really well.

Another from Majestic, at a similar price point that is worth a try. Like the Porta 6 I think it’s often good to try stuff made from the lesser known indigenous grapes.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Looking at the entries list , they won because they entered, I just asked my wife about these awards and she went who

She works in wine
    Oh sorry, my apologies. I thought it was the people's choice.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Porta 6 from Majestic. Crappy looking label but drinks really well.

What’s more, the Reserve wine is currently cheaper than the ordinary one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    What’s more, the Reserve wine is currently cheaper than the ordinary one.
    Sssshhhh........
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Hooves duly collected up and off at a trot to Majestic
    That porta6 and its reserva version is good stuff!

I was gutted.

I’ve had a few bottles of posh wine at the Wine Society for years.

Some are ready to drink so I got this bottle of Cheval Blanc sent over a couple of weeks ago and was all excited to have it last weekend to celebrate an occasion.

I decanted it, let it stand for 3 hours, cooked my steak and the wife’s pizza, clinked our glasses as we sat down to eat........and it tasted awful. Properly corked.

I called the Wine Society on Monday and they’ve credited me the money I paid for it 10 years ago back already!

Will have to hope for a better result next time.

It going to feel odd pouring the rest of it down the sink!

Last edited by mr noble; 2nd March 2019 at 20:42.

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    I was gutted.

I’ve had a few bottles of posh wine at the Wine Society for years.

Some are ready to drink so I got this bottle of Cheval Blanc sent over a couple of weeks ago and was all excited to have it last weekend to celebrate an occasion.

I decanted it, let it stand for 3 hours, cooked my steak and the wife’s pizza, clinked our glasses as we sat down to eat........and it tasted awful. Properly corked.

I called the Wine Society on Monday and they’ve credited me the money I paid for it 10 years ago back already!

Will have to hope for a better result next time.

It going to feel odd pouring the rest of it down the sink!

Sent a couple of weeks ago, but paid for - 10yrs ago? If you bought en-premeur or to place in their reserves - do you have others of the same make/vintage?

I now wait until they are drinking before removing from reserve, and always try one of the bottles soon after receipt.

The posh ones, I bought the normal way. VAT paid, just left them in the Stevenage warehouse for safe keeping.

I have another couple of Cheval Blanc, a few Margaux, Haut Brion, Mouton Rothschild etc. I hope they all taste as they should!

Bought them out of interest really, to see what all the fuss is about. I usually buy the en-priemur 2nd wines as I think they’re better value. Like Echo, La Fleur, La Mission, and wine like Rauzin Segla, Pontet Canet, Pichon Lalande etc. I think they are the value for money sweet spot, at circa £40-60 a bottle. If I ever get to drink one of the posh ones that isn’t corked, I am not expecting to be hugely impressed. I can’t see that a £400 bottle will be that much more amazing than a 2005 cracker at £50.
    Last edited by mr noble; 3rd March 2019 at 00:28.

Blog Entries
    I've just cashed in a lot of hotel points for 6 bottles of this ...

I stay in hotels very often for work - so amass the points pretty quickly & figured I may as well get something I wouldn't normally buy.

It arrives on Monday - anyone here tried it ?

z

https://shop.plantagenetwines.com/pr...rk--Chardonnay

One of my favorite chardonnays, available from my local wine shop (Vin Neuf in Stratford-upon-Avon).

Master
    I must confess that I enjoy a glass of red in the evening but know very little about it and often find myself buying the same stuff available in most supermarkets.

I do know what I like and tend to stick to the brands that I know or recognise.

To give you an idea - I very much like the Barefoot Cabernet Sauvignon (Purple Label) and the Barefoot Malbec (Green Label) and also there is another that I really like the taste of and that's 'Jamshed' which is usually about £6-7 in Tescos or Asda.

Are there any other wines that somebody can recommend with a similar taste that can be drank on their own??

I realise that these are probably leagues below in cost than some of the previous mentioned - however any suggestions appreciated

Mike

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I've just cashed in a lot of hotel points for 6 bottles of this ...

I stay in hotels very often for work - so amass the points pretty quickly & figured I may as well get something I wouldn't normally buy.

It arrives on Monday - anyone here tried it ?

z
    Your image isn't showing for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Your image isn't showing for me.
    It’s Château Montus 2012

z

It’s Château Montus 2012

z
    Is that a Madiran? If so, I'm sure it will be lovely.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Got a couple of bottles of red called ‘The Guvnor’ from Majestic recently to round the order up to 12, really rather nice, suited to the ‘fancy a glass of?’ moment, not expensive but went down a treat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Is that a Madiran? If so, I'm sure it will be lovely.
    I believe so.

I read that review too - which I why I chose to cash in the points for it.

I usually stick to sub £10 a bottle - so I'm hoping this a a bit special.

z
    Last edited by zelig; 3rd April 2020 at 14:53.

Be sure to post your tasting notes :-)

This was a nice weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    This was a nice weekend...

I've had both the Palmer and Margaux but not the other. Lovely aged wine there.

Blog Entries

Nice bottle of wine lately?

Six bottles of this turned up today...

I've not cracked one open yet, but I suspect - at 15% - it'll be pretty full on

... a couple of bottles are heading to North Wales to drink with my parents when this is all over.

z
    Last edited by zelig; 18th April 2020 at 20:38.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have been enjoying a bottle or two of Barefoot Merlot its from California,as an everyday tipple at £6.50 it’s pretty dam good.

Master
    I've not cracked one open yet, but I suspect - at 15% - it'll be pretty full on

[pic pf Ch Montus 2012 snipped ...]

a couple of bottles are heading to North Wales to drink with my parents when this is all over.
    And a bloody good reason. Note that most vintage charts have the 2012s as still 'keep' rather than 'drink', so keep some back, as it should only get better (-2030).

International Malbec day yesterday, so I enjoyed a bottle of The Watchmaker. Very nice.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Got a couple of bottles of red called ‘The Guvnor’ from Majestic recently to round the order up to 12, really rather nice, suited to the ‘fancy a glass of?’ moment, not expensive but went down a treat.
    Nice wine The Guvnor - €2.50 a bottle in Spain! My Step Mother’s favourite!

Another good wine is the Organic Primitivo in Waitrose with 25% off reduced to £7.49 a bottle. Nope it’s gone back up to £9.99 a bottle. ;@(
    Last edited by Snoodles; 19th April 2020 at 07:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    Nice wine The Guvnor - €2.50 a bottle in Spain! My Step Mother’s favourite!

Another good wine is the Organic Primitivo in Waitrose with 25% off reduced to £7.49 a bottle. Nope it’s gone back up to £9.99 a bottle. ;@(
    Interesting to hear a couple of first hand opinions about the Guvnor, they stock it in Mercadona but I've shied away from it because of the name/styling, my prejudice obviously, I'll pick up a couple of bottles to try next week. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Interesting to hear a couple of first hand opinions about the Guvnor, they stock it in Mercadona but I've shied away from it because of the name/styling, my prejudice obviously, I'll pick up a couple of bottles to try next week. Cheers.
    Yes that’s where I was picking it up from in February when last out there. Hope things are ok out there for you? My parents came back four weeks ago as it was getting very scary out there for them. They are 80 & 74 and where struggling to get supplies etc.

Yes that’s where I was picking it up from in February when last out there. Hope things are ok out there for you? My parents came back four weeks ago as it was getting very scary out there for them. They are 80 & 74 and where struggling to get supplies etc.
    Thank you, we're all fine here relatively young/fit no underlying conditions so no point worrying though we take precautions, there's a strong sense of camaraderie in the village and we look to have passed the first peak, that's something. Plenty of everything in the shops and we're helping an elderly friend which feels really nice, her children back in GB have been very appreciative. I worry for my folks at home, Dads 79 already had a heart attack and cancer, he's still pretty durable/stoic but I don't fancy his chances if he gets a dose, Mums into her alzheimers journey so I'm not really sure she gets the gravity of the situation but physically remains good and is happy, they seem to be managing and at least they're fairly out of the way in Lincolnshire. The in laws, in the USA, are likewise isolating and managing.
    All the best to you and yours. I'll toast with a glass of the Guvnor next week.

⬆️ Thank you ⬆️ Another nice wine currently on offer.

https://www.waitrosecellar.com/red-w...gp-pugl-824473

Had a Beneficio Shiraz Grenache 2017 last night. Lovely.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I enjoyed a bottle of this yesterday. Only just started buying winr from Laithwaites recently and have found them to be really helpful. Also, if you don't like a bottle, they will give your money back. Bought it on a case deal and managed to use a money off voucher, so got it for 7.99 a bottle!

https://www.laithwaites.co.uk/product//1468519

⬆️ Thank you ⬆️ Another nice wine currently on offer.

https://www.waitrosecellar.com/red-w...gp-pugl-824473
    Yep big thumbs up for this one!
    Still on offer too

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    And a bloody good reason. Note that most vintage charts have the 2012s as still 'keep' rather than 'drink', so keep some back, as it should only get better (-2030).
    Madiran tends to be very tannic when young and can be hard going until they’ve got a bit of bottle age. Generally worth the wait though. Definitely food wines....

always splash out on a few of these around christmas time - limited production and hand picked grapes from vineyards on the estate and bottled there too.

used to get it for @ £16-£20 - but noticing the price each year is going up - if you can find it
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 21st April 2020 at 10:26.

Journeyman
    Sadly Mrs D doesn't drink wine so I generally have glugging wine in the house although I do have a couple of bottles of decent ChnfdPap in the cupboard which might not see the end of the lockdown.
    Just taken a look and there's also a Chateaux Saint Germain 2016 which needs drinking.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Dee View Post
    there's also a Chateaux Saint Germain 2016 which needs drinking.
    On the contrary, 2016 was a classic year for Bordeaux - 10/10 - and all the vintage charts say 'keep'. Leave it, if you can bear to, and it will only improve.

Journeyman
    On the contrary, 2016 was a classic year for Bordeaux - 10/10 - and all the vintage charts say 'keep'. Leave it, if you can bear to, and it will only improve.
    I bow to your superior knowledge. It will stay undrunk. I did read that it has an "age" time of around 5 years so maybe get it out at Christmas?

Craftsman
    Opened my last bottle of 98 Musar and it was exceptional. Need to restock!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Dee View Post
    I bow to your superior knowledge. It will stay undrunk. I did read that it has an "age" time of around 5 years so maybe get it out at Christmas?
    Most seem to say 8-10 years for the 2016s. But if it's kept somewhere at room temp rather than cooler it will age faster.

Enate Chardonnay is another favourite of mine but hard to acquire in the UK, lovely Spanish white...

Got a half-bottle of ‘98 Les Forts de Latour standing upright for the weekend along with a bottle of 2000 Chateau Fonroque.

Been drinking both for a few years now - still at their peak.

Craftsman
    I have a significant birthday coming up shortly. I had planned a nice couple of days away in Cornwall- but that isn’t going to happen. So in consolation I shall open my last bottle of Chave Hermitage 1982. I bought a case in 1985 for £120- at the time the most I’d paid for a case. Now fetching stupid money.

Had this last night from waitrose on a promotion....very nice too, similar to a Beaujolais or so it seemed...

Since Lockdown I’ve went through too much Trivento Malbec and Dark Horse Malbec.
    Both lovely drops.

Journeyman
    Picked up a few bottles of this a year or so ago, and have only just got round to cracking one of them open:

https://www.waitrosecellar.com/five-...hocolate-block

Goes very well on the side of a BBQ.

Master
    When I drink white, I normally only drink French. But I'm really enjoying this. Had a bottle last weekend and one on standby. De Grendel, Sauvignon Blanc: https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produc...-200499-200500

Blog Entries

Nice bottle of wine lately?

Quick update - lockdown lifted - so a Couple of bottles of Montus 2012 were cracked open yesterday with my parents in North Wales.

Actually, after reading a review - they were opened the day before to get some air
    ...then decanted & served for lunch the following day with griddled lamb steaks.

The Montus lived up to expectations, it is a very intense wine, and superb for it.

We did not experience any of the tannin that some reviews had mentioned, just a huge hit of intense flavours that lingered nicely.

very much recommended - esp with red meats.

z
    Last edited by zelig; 13th July 2020 at 10:25.

First time ever trying a Taste the Difference wine, and got the Amarone - it was luscious. Blackberries and chocolate.

Wine

I can recommend for white wine drinkers Gavi di Gavi.
    Never had a bad one.

Andy