closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Preserve The Bracelet Or Wear And Enjoy - Rolex 93150

Preserve The Bracelet Or Wear And Enjoy - Rolex 93150

There was a recent thread on a Rolex bracelet and that seemed to be mainly about the options for restoration or repair. That got me thinking. My recently acquired Submariner 5512 has a superb condition 93150 bracelet with 580 end links and a wonderful Condition VC coded clasp denoting 1978, which matches the serial number of the watch.

Some images:

The options seem to be, use it, enjoy it and worry about having it repaired in due course, take it off and replace it with one of the following:

Generic SS bracelet (don't fancy paying a grand for another 93150 bracelet)
    A Rubber divers strap
    A quality vintage style strap.

Any thoughts or opinions and what would you do with this first world dilemma.

Thanks,
    Ken

Well, unless you were thinking about wearing it on a new bracelet and keeping the old one from wear, I’d just wear it and enjoying it.
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    Either put it all in the safe, or wear it. Honestly, what will happen to it in daily wear, thebwatxh head is more at risk and if you can’t bear to wear it, perhaps you’re not a vintage man. That’s what stopped me buying them a long time ago. Hope you can enjoy it.

Craftsman
    Wear and enjoy it. You can always buy another 93150 later. The Sub looks best on its bracelet. Unless it is a Milsub but that's another story

Sent from my SM-G955F using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Wear it mate.

As a bracelet is not ‘matched’ to the watch, as you know, originality is always a question and unlike the watch, a correctly dated bracelet is easily enough sourced and not that dear to be fair.

I sold my 5512 to a well known forum oddball in a minute of madness.

Now off to look at more posts of the watch!

Thanks guys, I think leaving it on is the only way to go. I do tend to give my watches an easy life and the bracelet is very comfortable.

Thought you might like to see a wrist shot on holiday this year

If only...
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 25th November 2017 at 17:40.

Craftsman
    Nice cap !

Master
    Ken

I recently bought a Rolex 16710 GMT with a plain black bezel. I had the thing serviced by Rolex and also had the red/black bezel fitted to jazz it up a bit.

A couple of weeks later I bought a Jubilee bracelet and fitted that and it looks cool. The Oyster bracelet is in temporary retirement, so why not experiment a bit. As regards to cost, I bought it here for £600 including end pieces and when I gets fed up with it, I will resell it and probably break even so it cost me nothing in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Wear it mate.

As a bracelet is not ‘matched’ to the watch, as you know, originality is always a question and unlike the watch, a correctly dated bracelet is easily enough sourced and not that dear to be fair.

You are right Steve, bracelets are regarded as interchangeable pieces of kit and mixes and matches can be put together fairly easily although not so cheap these days. I think I was influenced by looking at some images of vintage watches on straps, the types of images that Tony posts and they do look good.

I know people with old 9315 bracelets or even older original Speedmaster bracelets don't use them on a daily basis as they are not really fit for purpose, but this one is great.

Decision made - leave as is and make an effort to look more like Steve McQueen.

Thanks guys.

Craftsman
    Wear it. Don't think most Rolexes work on anything but bracelets (and original ones at that!).

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Ken

I recently bought a Rolex 16710 GMT with a plain black bezel. I had the thing serviced by Rolex and also had the red/black bezel fitted to jazz it up a bit.

A couple of weeks later I bought a Jubilee bracelet and fitted that and it looks cool. The Oyster bracelet is in temporary retirement, so why not experiment a bit. As regards to cost, I bought it here for £600 including end pieces and when I gets fed up with it, I will resell it and probably break even so it cost me nothing in the long term.
    Fair point Mick

I have had similar thoughts in the past. The only strap that gets time on the bench is the original rivet off my 5513. All the rest of my sport watches have their original straps.

But if you want to keep it nice I would recommend you wear it slightly loose and give it a good scrub every couple of weeks to remove any DNA and grime that it might collect.

Failing that, just don't wear the watch, but that's a bit pointless.
    Last edited by Andyg; 25th November 2017 at 18:12.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Whip the bracelet off and wear the watch on a Nato? Alternatively, just wear and enjoy. You found a great example there, Ken.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jalebi View Post
    Wear it. Don't think most Rolexes work on anything but bracelets (and original ones at that!).
    +1. Be sure to keep it clean, and ensure it’s not loose. If it’s worn sensibly it shouldn’t deteriorate further to any significant extent.

I have a similar issue with a late 60s Omega. I sourced the correct original bracelet separately but they’re very rare so I’m loathe to wear it. It’s silly having it packed away and not being used but it’s virtually irreplaceable. At least with the Rolex a correct replacement can be bought......at a price!

Paul

Master
    Definitely wear it, a nice 93150 only adds to the beauty of a good 5512/5513, as stated wear it not too tight or loose and above all keep it clean and it will last for many years. It amazes me the state that some people get their bracelets in, a little care is all that’s needed which I am sure you will lavish on it and that beautiful 5512.
    The only bracelets I am precious about are rivets, stunning but more fragile than a good 93150.
    Last edited by bobdog; 25th November 2017 at 18:23.

Master
    Wear it, I think Subs look best on a bracelet. Wouldn't mind seeing some more pics of that watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I would recommend you wear it slightly loose
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    ... and ensure it’s not loose.

Paul
    So which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    Wear it, I think Subs look best on a bracelet. Wouldn't mind seeing some more pics of that watch.
    As requested:

1978 Mark 3 'lollypop' Maxi Dial 5512:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    As requested:

Ooer!

Master
    Just wear it, don't see any reason not to, would do the same if it was a 9315.

tried nato, rubber and leather with subs but always come back to a bracelet after a week or so - it's how they are meant to be.

Its actually one of the few watches I think looks the business on a plain black nato, it is all about the watch with this one

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    That does look pretty good to me, but then I do like the jubilee bracelet.

Wear and enjoy; saying that I had some DIY to do and a gym session and the Rolex did come off for those, but I intend to wear it most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Definitely wear it as you ought to enjoy it before it appears on SC 😀 that said I'm pretty sure it would look great on a vintage leather or plain nato but it is cracking on the bracelet.

Craftsman
    Damn that's NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    As requested:

Master
    Another for wearing it on its bracelet Ken, nice looking Watch BTW

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Another for enjoying it on the bracelet as is.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

A fab looking watch, well done.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    [QUOTE=Wallasey Runner;4574563]As requested:

Absolutely stunning. Thank you.

Master
    A cracking example Ken of a not often seen watch. As for wear on the 93150 I would'nt worry if I was you, it can be refurbed which would keep its age related originality.

Lovely example and I’m in the enjoy it camp too!

It's kept itself in such great condition whilst waiting for you to come along so enjoy it.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    So which is it?
    Think about it.

What’s referred to as stretch in bracelets has nothing to do with stretching in the conventional sense. What happens is wear in the pins and links, which creates the appearance of a stretched bracelet because the gaps between links get slightly larger. This process is caused by abrasion, resulting from dirt (which acts like grinding paste) and movement. What causes the movement?..........obviously it’s caused by the bracelet being too loose which causes the links to pivot slightly around the pins as the wearer moves around. On a snug-fitting bracelet this doesn't happen.

Paul

Wear it don't worry about It I been wearing my 1680 all original today which is like yours barley any stretch on the bracelet

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Always wear it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Considering the tiny amount of wear possible in the short time before you typically move a watch on, the bracelet could be made of tin-foil and this question still not be an issue!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Considering the tiny amount of wear possible in the short time before you typically move a watch on, the bracelet could be made of tin-foil and this question still not be an issue!
    I just snorted a good measure of Glenfiddich at that quip. But I honestly think that 5512 will be a keeper for Ken. He’ll just continue flipping Steinharts.

Wear it Ken enjoy it nice piece

Ah Haywood your so right applies to so many of us haha

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Wear it. Rubber looks crap on Rolies & a generic would cheapen the whole thing.
    I disagree, IMHO. I think rubber straps give Rolexs a 'tool' quality which is nice rather than being just jewellery. Therefore, get something else, and keep the OE bracelet for when you sell it. It'll keep those all important residual values up....

It looks great on the bracelet but not too indifferent to any other Sub (not that is a bad thing) if I seen it on your wrist I would appreciate it from 5 yards as a nice looking Sub but on vintage leather it would catch my eye a lot more as a vintage watch, super comfy to wear too.

Last edited by murkeywaters; 26th November 2017 at 11:57.

Craftsman
    id put it on a strap, but not to preserve the bracelet. They just look better on leather!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sub on bracelet any day of the week for me

Wear it, it's not the crown jewels, it's a watch.
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Wear it mate.

You took the words out of my mouth Steve! Funny that..
    Keith

Craftsman
    Wear it and wash it once a week to keep the grime from wearing the pins. A bracelet kept clean will last for many many many years, enjoy what you've searched for

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Think about it.

What’s referred to as stretch in bracelets has nothing to do with stretching in the conventional sense. What happens is wear in the pins and links, which creates the appearance of a stretched bracelet because the gaps between links get slightly larger. This process is caused by abrasion, resulting from dirt (which acts like grinding paste) and movement. What causes the movement?..........obviously it’s caused by the bracelet being too loose which causes the links to pivot slightly around the pins as the wearer moves around. On a snug-fitting bracelet this doesn't happen.

Paul
    I don't think anyone actually thinks it's "stretching". The worn pins are pretty common knowledge. Keeping the bracelet clean is at least as important as wearing it snugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Was 16 days above or below your estimate?

Journeyman

Preserve The Bracelet Or Wear And Enjoy - Rolex 93150

It left the factory on a bracelet and that’s how it should stay. Most fabric and rubber straps look awful because they are just that (with a few exceptions). Just enjoy wearing it.