closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 2021 America's Cup

Craftsman
    Here's hoping we get some closer racing.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Hopefully E will mix it up a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by 33mgb View Post
    Here's hoping we get some closer racing.

With any luck the wind will funnel around the island and down the Sergeant Channel giving a bit of variation across course E. ICYMI, the morning briefing includes this:

...the Southern Ocean weather system that has slowly been tracking its way to the east and is now pulling in an easterly gradient breeze over the Auckland region. As the land heats up the result is expected to be a northeasterly breeze of 11-13 knots that remains steady in strength throughout the afternoon.

“I am expecting to set the course up on 025 degrees but I wouldn’t be surprised if the direction moved around further to the left through the day,” said regatta director Iain Murray...
    Last edited by PickleB; 15th March 2021 at 00:19.

Master
    Well that was different! I didn't see that coming
    Last edited by higham5; 15th March 2021 at 12:48.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Well that was different! I didn't see that coming
    It was indeed.

I'm not at all sure that I'm a fan of 'stadium' racing with AC72s. It's set up to be upwind / downwind but a slight change in wind direction turns the downwind leg into a reach and reduces the opportunities for competition. The overall concept is intriguing and it has moments of high drama...starts, touchdowns etc. But, IMO, there is little else to make it combative and a good spectator sport. Much of that is probably due to the professionalism of the teams racing and the exceptional sailing qualities of the AC72. That leads me to remember how new the format is and I'm sure that the organisers will be trying to improve it for future events.

The forecast for tomorrow seems to be marginal at best with the wind due to return on Wednesday, probably in time for the races.

Craftsman
    At least there was a bit more drama today which is no bad thing. I wonder if the format would have been different had they been able to have the racing that was planned in Italy and the UK last year before COVID struck. Would they have been able to tweak it from event to event to make for closer racing?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't think we will ever see the boat on boat stuff when you have boats sailing faster than windspeed in a format when the boat behind NEVER has an attaching advantage.

In the old boats you kept it close if you were behind then you sat on the leader on the run and had attacking opportunities ... if you are foiling at 40 knots in 12 knots the gusts you are looking for are downwind of you not behind ...

The AC75 is an amazing thing but it won't be giving us the drama of close quarters displacement racing of the past ... both have their merits.

If we could get some high winds maybe we could see something interesting .... again we saw today NZL is a faster boat and I expect them to be the eventual winners.

Amongst the spectator fleet I have seen quite a few red and yellow chequered flags and I wondered about their significance. It took a bit of searching to discover that they are in fact pink and yellow...link...and relate to the New Zealand Maritime Operator Safety System (MOSS).

So much for forecasts, it looks as though there is a decent breeze on course C. Let's see if it holds.

Update That’s what we have been waiting for...

Update 2 And so we wait for whatever tomorrow brings.
    Last edited by PickleB; 16th March 2021 at 05:55.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    So much for forecasts, it looks as though there is a decent breeze on course C. Let's see if it holds.

Update That’s what we have been waiting for...

Update 2 And so we wait for whatever tomorrow brings.
    That is definitely what we have been waiting for. Fantastic race from start to finish.

Congratulations to the Kiwis

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Game over. In the end a relatively comfortable win for NZ. ITA made a few errors that cost them dearly.

So, same boats next time and GB will be COR next time.

Craftsman
    NZ too good and too quick in the end, congrats to them. Italy did make a few mistakes which will hurt for a while. Last couple of races have shown it can be exciting for the spectator, which is great.

Well done to both ETNZ and LRPP...a great effort. Well done too to Auckland and NZ for staging this event given the restrictions imposed by a pandemic. It's been the only time we have seen the AC75s racing and so there should be more to come.

I've noticed some 'cuffs' on ETNZ's cant arms (see picture in link). This must provide space for hydraulics etc but I thought that the cant arms had to be standard and 'as provided'. Only the foils were to be designed by the teams as I understood it. I presume that the cuff is allowed under the rules or there would have been a challenge, but had anyone seen any mention of this elsewhere, please?

Have a look at the last race on YouTube. Scroll to 4:10 before start of race 10.

Heavy Irish stereotyping.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I've noticed some 'cuffs' on ETNZ's cant arms (see picture in link). This must provide space for hydraulics etc but I thought that the cant arms had to be standard and 'as provided'. Only the foils were to be designed by the teams as I understood it. I presume that the cuff is allowed under the rules or there would have been a challenge, but had anyone seen any mention of this elsewhere, please?[/QUOTE]

Couldn't find anything on this. Are they definitely part of the cant arm, and nit part of the foil?

In other news, INEOS have now confirmed they are the Challenger of Recird for the next AC37.

Craftsman
    Here's the link;

https://www.ineosteamuk.com/en/artic...on-Racing.html

Quote Originally Posted by 33mgb View Post
    Here's the link;

https://www.ineosteamuk.com/en/artic...on-Racing.html

There is a link on that page to the ETNZ site where it says:

A Protocol Governing AC37 will be published within eight months including the provisions outlined in this release.

• It has been agreed the AC75 Class shall remain the class of yacht for the next two America’s Cup cycles, and agreement to this is a condition of entry.

• The teams will be restricted to building only one new AC75 for the next event...

...amongst other things.

That second provision would seem to exclude any new teams, but we'll have to see what is in the Protocol once it is published.
    Last edited by PickleB; 19th March 2021 at 13:25.

Great link of a great adventure:

https://youtu.be/AW8NNyIUM8g

Forza Italia , forza Palermo

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

SailGP gets underway next weekend in Bermuda. They're racing F50 catamarans...here are a few more links:

Master
    Thanks for that , something to look forward to, plus Cycling and Moto GP will be starting on ITV 4 so telly / youtube will get some viewing.

SailGP gets underway next weekend in Bermuda. They're racing F50 catamarans...here are a few more links:

Thanks for that , something to look forward to, plus Cycling and Moto GP will be starting on ITV 4 so telly / youtube will get some viewing.

Oops! Australian team capsizes US F-50:

The Australian SailGP crew capsized the US SailGP F50 foiling catamaran during a practice session on Bermuda's Great Sound on Friday.

Due to COVID-19 restrictions in Bermuda, only four boats are allowed in the water at a time, and the Jimmy Spithill led US Sailing Team had already been on the water for their practice session, and loaned their F50 to the Australians for the session.

The SailGP organisers made an on-board video available after the incident...

Well! Saturday's racing was a bit mediocre (but fast) and SBA didn't have a good day. Come Sunday however...what didn't happen in the first two races?

Now for the podium race...

Update...and worth the wait.
    Last edited by PickleB; 25th April 2021 at 19:16.

Craftsman
    Wow.....I was quite excited by day 1 racing, but day 2 was incredible. Well worth watching.

Master
    Thanks for that I enjoyed that, lunges for the line , it gets more like MotoGP every time :)

ICYMI: SailGP Bermuda...onboard video of the collision.

Meanwhile elsewhere...anyone done the Cowes - St Malo race? There's a new course record (not set in the actual race) to beat: Smashing the Channel.

Lest you forget...SailGP is in Taranto this weekend...link.

Ben Ainslie will not be there ("due to long-standing personal commitments"...link) and so Paul Goodison is in charge, both in Taranto and in Plymouth (17-18 Jul).

Edit Sky Sports Mix is showing the races live both days, otherwise it's Arena on Saturday and Action on Sunday.
    Last edited by PickleB; 3rd June 2021 at 19:25.

Lest you forget...SailGP is in Taranto this weekend...link.

Ben Ainslie will not be there ("due to long-standing personal commitments"...link) and so Paul Goodison is in charge, both in Taranto and in Plymouth (17-18 Jul).

Edit Sky Sports Mix is showing the races live both days, otherwise it's Arena on Saturday and Action on Sunday.
    Seemingly suffering from a vast lack of wind today. The event has experimented with 3 man crews (rather than 5) to see if they can lift-off in lighter winds.

SailGP is in Saint-Tropez and it was very punchy at the finish of the first race today...see YouTube.

Master
    SailGP is in Saint-Tropez and it was very punchy at the finish of the first race today...see YouTube.
    Pickle B thanks for posting

Maybe its me but the st tropez link takes me to a live feed that hasnt started and the second link takes me to videos from 4 weeks ago. Any thoughts ?

Pickle B thanks for posting

Maybe its me but the st tropez link takes me to a live feed that hasnt started and the second link takes me to videos from 4 weeks ago. Any thoughts ?

Something funny going on there. I'll post the full urls below:

Saint-Tropez
    https://sailgp.com/races/france-sail...ix-event-page/
    ...as you can see, that is the event page

YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8Z...OzrJN-4dVpW5Jw
    ...and that is the SailGP YouTube channel where live events and all the others are available.

I have tried both on my laptop and my mobile phone and they work OK. Is anyone else having a problem, please?

Master
    Something funny going on there. I'll post the full urls below:

Saint-Tropez
    https://sailgp.com/races/france-sail...ix-event-page/
    ...as you can see, that is the event page

YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8Z...OzrJN-4dVpW5Jw
    ...and that is the SailGP YouTube channel where live events and all the others are available.

I have tried both on my laptop and my mobile phone and they work OK. Is anyone else having a problem, please?
    Sorted now , my ignorance , I didnt appreciate the “ live” review was in fact a recording. Watched the three races, how the lead changes!

Having been away for a week I've only just caught up with SailGP in Cádiz. Day 1 was interesting with good racing in varied conditions and it set up Sunday's racing.

Day 2 was the racing we have been waiting for. IMO, it's well worth a watch as it had everything...wind, protests and penalties, rocks in the middle of the course, overtakes and accidents.

Master
    Having been away for a week I've only just caught up with SailGP in Cádiz. Day 1 was interesting with good racing in varied conditions and it set up Sunday's racing.

Day 2 was the racing we have been waiting for. IMO, it's well worth a watch as it had everything...wind, protests and penalties, rocks in the middle of the course, overtakes and accidents.
    Surprisingly small sail areas until you realise they are hitting 53k UPWIND! Really exciting three races, thanks for posting.
    Steve

Master
    Blog Entries
    SailGP is proving more entertaining than the AC.

SailGP is proving more entertaining than the AC.
    Nine, perhaps 10, teams for the next series.

One of these days I supose that I will learn to relate to boat speeds in kph...maybe.
    Last edited by PickleB; 19th October 2021 at 14:53.

ICYMI:

From the latter:

...Ben Ainslie said:

"That was a full-on day with really breezy conditions. The first two races were good. We had a nice start in the second race especially and two second place finishes which was solid to get us through to the final podium race.

"It was a great line-up with us, USA and Australia in that podium race. We had a great start again and managed to get into the lead and then halfway across the first reach we got hit by a mega gust and between myself steering the boat, Gooby [Iain Jensen] on the wing and Maso [Richard Mason] on the jib we just didn't get the trim and the balance of the boat right and stuck the bow in and managed to pitchpole it. That was massively frustrating as we'd done the hard bit with the start, it would have been a great race..."

We really need separate threads for SailGP series 3 and the 37th America's Cup. An announcement about the protocol for the latter is due in mid-November. I will probably kick-off a new thread if there is any news about the dates and location.

Master
    Blog Entries
    One of these days I supose that I will learn to relate to boat speeds in kph...maybe.
    I assume they are just using km/h just because it gives the biggest number ...

The audience for this sport is predominantly in the imperial units countries so really it should be mph but some marketing person has gone for the biggest is best "logic" and so we have km/h ...

I assume they are just using km/h just because it gives the biggest number ...

The audience for this sport is predominantly in the imperial units countries so really it should be mph but some marketing person has gone for the biggest is best "logic" and so we have km/h ...
    Re the latter:

Last edited by PickleB; 19th October 2021 at 17:43.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Re the latter:

I suspect the market share of SailGP audiences who are imperial minded is more than 9% ... anyway it should be knots.

I suspect the market share of SailGP audiences who are imperial minded is more than 9% ... anyway it should be knots.
    I expect that the antipodean, EU and Japanese audience for 6 teams outweighs the US and UK numbers. I think that they broadcast in 'terrestrial' units as they are pitching the 'spectacle' to a non-sailing audience. That said, knots would make better sense to me and, I suspect, many sea-going sailors (I'm not sure about the dinghy sailors). However, the boats are built using metric measurements and the boundary zones etc are specified in meters so it must make the mathematics easier if they use kph and forget about nautical miles.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Some serious carnage in the SailGP ... Anslie at it ...

Some serious carnage in the SailGP ... Anslie at it ...
    British SailGP Team are out of the Australian Sail Grand Prix...link:

...The third race collision before the start resulted in the British team being docked 6 points for the event, and 2 points for the season. Due to the crash, the Japan SailGP Team is unable to compete in their F50 on day two, the Great Britain SailGP Team will be withdrawn from racing under the contact and damage policy rule. The British team have offered to provide Japan SailGP Team their F50 and any support they require to enable them to go racing tomorrow...

Master
    British SailGP Team are out of the Australian Sail Grand Prix...link:

...The third race collision before the start resulted in the British team being docked 6 points for the event, and 2 points for the season. Due to the crash, the Japan SailGP Team is unable to compete in their F50 on day two, the Great Britain SailGP Team will be withdrawn from racing under the contact and damage policy rule. The British team have offered to provide Japan SailGP Team their F50 and any support they require to enable them to go racing tomorrow...
    What a performance for Japan in the British boat !
    Great to see strong winds and those F50’s at 93k, that must take some courage to hang on at those speeds.

What a performance for Japan in the British boat !
    Great to see strong winds and those F50’s at 93k, that must take some courage to hang on at those speeds.
    Just catching up at the moment. In the preliminary interviews it was good to see that sportsmanship (in the best sense of the word) prevailed (at 32 min 30 sec):

Final SailGP event coming up...starts at 21h00 tonight.

Meanwhile: