closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 'Compact' Smartphones (Sony XZ1 Compact)

'Compact' Smartphones (Sony XZ1 Compact)

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a quick bit of advice, does anyone have the new Sony XZ1 Compact phone?

I have been wanting to upgrade from my old Blackberry Z10 for a while now, and the XZ1 Compact seems to fit the bill with a ~4.5" screen, I don't want anything bigger than that really.
    I have a iPhone 6S for work, which is a bit big for me, and not interested in a iPhone 5S, there does not seem to be many options out there for mid-range phones in that size.

I have read reviews of the XZ1 Compact, which seems to tick the boxes but any users out there with real-world experience?

Master
    I have one and it's a great little device, the only compact flagship on the market right now.

Top notch hardware, the screen is bright enough, amazing battery life.

Previously I also had the Z5 Compact and it's quite a big improvement in performance, comes out of the box with Android Oreo so you'll get at least 2 years of software updates.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about it.

Thanks for the speedy response.
    Any issues with stability and how do you find the camera? They seem to be the main grumbles I have read of user reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by mihaixp View Post
    I have one and it's a great little device, the only compact flagship on the market right now.

Top notch hardware, the screen is bright enough, amazing battery life.

Previously I also had the Z5 Compact and it's quite a big improvement in performance, comes out of the box with Android Oreo so you'll get at least 2 years of software updates.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about it.

I've had Xperia compacts since the Z1 and they've all been very good, currently have a Z5 compact which works flawlessly and will possibly (next year) change to the XZ1.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Wife got hers a few weeks ago and seems to like it, i'll be getting one in Jan
    We both had/have the Z5 compact and the Z1 compact before that, never had any problems, great little phones and way better than the flimsy plasticy Galaxy S2 we had before

Anyone found a good case for them? Used to use otterbox on samsungs, but when we switched to sony found they don't do them, so had to get case-mate ones, which have turned out to be better than otterbox, but it now seems case-mate aren't doing sony covers either.
    Last edited by Brighty; 22nd November 2017 at 10:39.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopsontoast View Post
    Thanks for the speedy response.
    Any issues with stability and how do you find the camera? They seem to be the main grumbles I have read of user reviews.
    System stability is way better than what I got with the S8 or the iPhone X, the speed as well - because it's a very stock-like Android iteration.

The camera is probably not 100% on par with the devices above but the digital stabilization is one of the best in class as far from what I've seen so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Anyone found a good case for them? Used to use otterbox on samsungs, but when we switched to sony found they don't do them, so had to get case-mate ones, which have turned out to be better than otterbox, but it now seems case-mate aren't doing sony covers either.
    Here you go, I bought this cheap one and it has a really nice matte finish on the back and seems good enough for normal drops: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TPU-SILICON...72.m2749.l2649

Sounds wonderful, and it's about time phones stopped trying to be iPads. I always go to gsmarena for phone info, they have a review of it here:
    https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia...iew-1660p9.php

Just got mine last week to replace an iPhone 6+. Much easier to hold as it's smaller and quite easy to understand even though I'd never used an Android phone before. I've got a clear gel case for mine, £3.99 from Amazon.

Thanks guys, went for it and picked one up today from Carphonewarehouse, happy with it so far, great size/weight and zippy performance (once all the updates had finished!).