closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 996 GT3 MK1

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've removed the airbag wheel from my vx220 to fit a carbon fibre wheel and bought a small resistor cheater to plug in its place from Demon Tweeks. So when the ignitio is turned on the airbag light lights to show it's on then goes off (as before).

If you remove the battery to take the wheel off, plug the cheater in while it's disconnected and you'll be fine. If you break the connection while the battery is on you'll get a error light on the dash which you'll have to pay to erase.

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/perfo...-canceller-kit

Absolutely stunning! Such a great drivers car

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    You will need to keep you fingers crossed at MOT time - if the tester notices the airbag is missing then it's an automatic fail. The spec is available to testing stations online.
    I replaced the OEM wheel in my GT3 with a non airbag Momo 11 years ago and the car has been MOT’d at 3 different places since with no issues whatsoever. I simply have a bit of black tape over the airbag warning light.

I considered the Cup wheel but didn’t want the dished effect.
    Last edited by andy tims; 31st December 2017 at 03:12.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Blog Entries

Cup 2's fitted, 997 GT3 RS shifter going in this afternoon.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What tyres did you run before?

Should be transformed if running normal road rubber.

Blog Entries
    It was running PZeros.

I've just fitted the 997 GT3 RS shifter, it's night and day compared to the old one. Gone is the sloppy, lazy gear change, replaced by a shortened rifle bolt action. Well worth the money.

lovely car ,can you list the products your'e using? for when I clean the wifes boxster

Blog Entries
    Meguairs interior cleaner
    Gliptone leather cleaner GT12
    Gliptone leather conditioner GT11

I've got a Nilfisk pressure washer with a foam lance that I snowfoam the car with, then two bucket technique with Meguiars shampoo and lambs wool mitt.
    Big purple towel to dry it off.
    Currently using poorboys polish and wax.
    Auto finesse tire dressing

Craftsman
    Lovely. I'm feeling guilty about how dirty my car is now!

Blog Entries
    So just a quick peek at what I'm currently doing.... I've got slightly carried away, ie bumper, heat shields exhaust, arch liners, rear lights etc etc have all come off, I've snow foamed and de greased under the arches and cleaned out the wheel arch lip etc. I've ordered all new nuts/bolts/screws etc etc, one heat shield as the original is knackered and a few other sundries. There are a few very very small patches of surface corrosion I am going to sort, however for what is a 20 year old car with very minimal underseal etc it's rather good!

I've also got on order stainless steel bolts for all the exhaust brackets/mountings, mines very recently had the silencers and mounting bracket replaced so they are as new, however the bolts and nuts are not stainless!

I will take more pics of both sides as I am working my way through and as I clean all the parts and refit them all. The wife is less than happy with the rear bumper residing in the living room!!!

Loving the work!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    It has been a quiet few weeks on the car front, I've been manic at work and it's been bloody cold! I'm off to collect all the bits I ordered this morning and will start getting it back together next week. I should get the stainless steel bolts for the exhaust on Monday too.

I decided to get some new wheel centres as one of them is odd and doesn't match as well as some titanium wheel bolts from the US to stop the issue of repeated rusty steel OEM bolts!!

Overall all the bits I'm doing are preventative maintenance and tidying up, I enjoy doing work on my cars myself and have a list of jobs to carry out over the next year or so. It's very recently had all 3 front radiators replaced as well as the condensors so I'm planning on fitting some protective grills to keep them from getting damaged.

I've also got the car booked to get detailed and ceramic coated very soon, it's going to be on display at the Henley Cargatta in May so needs to be looking its best!

keep this thread going ,i love it!! You should be proud of the work you are doing to a great car.

Blog Entries
    I managed to spend some time doing some bits on the car this afternoon, first up was the joy of removing the rusted, knackered bolts that hold the cat to the manifold to replace them with stainless bolts/nuts.

Next up was to check that all the bits I ordered to replace the tired/rusty fixings were correct

I was very fortunate that my car recently had new silencers and mounting brackets which corrode very badly over time, for some reason none of the bolts/nuts are stainless steel so again I have replaced all of them.
    Before everything goes back on the car it will be properly cleaned up.

I've made the decision to replace two more of the heat shields which had some pretty bad corrosion so have placed them on order as well as the two mounting brackets.

Gratuitous Mezger shot...
    Last edited by ditchvisitor; 12th February 2018 at 18:49.

Craftsman
    Can I ask where the stainless fixings are from?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
    Can I ask where the stainless fixings are from?
    From a localish exhaust guy.

I would be interested to hear how you get on with the ceramic polish.

My old 964 has been in garage since November so will not see the light of day until it's spring clean and shake down in March.

Interesting thread keep it coming.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Really inspiring and I know how easy it is to get carried away stripping bits off, I need to get on with my partial resto as work and family has got in the way, in a short time its gone from this -

To this -

Sometimes I think why did I start it but I need clear window with the correct tools to break the back of it..

Will keep an eye on your thread

Nice - but dont forget.....

Blog Entries

I decided to take off the metal strip that holds the clips for the bumper and am getting it resprayed as there is some minor corrosion that I wasn't happy with, I also gave it a good clean/polish underneath. All being well will crack on with lots more tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    It has been a quiet few weeks on the car front, I've been manic at work and it's been bloody cold! I'm off to collect all the bits I ordered this morning and will start getting it back together next week. I should get the stainless steel bolts for the exhaust on Monday too.

I decided to get some new wheel centres as one of them is odd and doesn't match as well as some titanium wheel bolts from the US to stop the issue of repeated rusty steel OEM bolts!!

Overall all the bits I'm doing are preventative maintenance and tidying up, I enjoy doing work on my cars myself and have a list of jobs to carry out over the next year or so. It's very recently had all 3 front radiators replaced as well as the condensors so I'm planning on fitting some protective grills to keep them from getting damaged.

I've also got the car booked to get detailed and ceramic coated very soon, it's going to be on display at the Henley Cargatta in May so needs to be looking its best!
    http://www.henleycargatta.co.uk/ looks a good event, I presume pay on the day for non-display cars (don't think anyone would want to see my lease R)?

Journeyman
    Loving the progress and clean bay shots.

- - - Updated - - -

Loving the progress and clean bay shots.

Blog Entries
    So I got a fair bit done today, sorted the few small patches of light corrosion on the right hand side and then stripped/jet washed/snow foamed/dried the left hand side and did the same.

Not bad for a 20 year old car.

A few small patches but overall very good.

Cleaned up.

Treated and painted.

Also gave the aluminium bumper and lower heat shield a quick clean, might give them another going over.

Overall I'm almost there, all being well I will pick up the new heat shields from my OPC this week and I will get it all back together next week.

Master
    Stunning, stunning car. All time classic. Great pics. Following this thread...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Looks fantastic.
    I did the arches on my 993 over the summer and used something called Finish Kare 1000. Saw it on Jackals gt3 blog i think.Similar journey to what your going through by the looks of it.
    A bright zinc plating kit is next on my list for all the nuts/bolts/crews etc..

Blog Entries
    So this mornings job was to get the car back together again...

Using this collection of parts, with 3 new heat shields and all new nuts/bolts/fixings

The first job was to replace the bumper support with the new heat shield, supports and bolts.

And this is why...

All finished

Heatshields back on.

Exhausts back on.

Outer heatshields back on.

Bumper support and lower heatshield fitted.

I had these two bits resprayed as I was unhappy with some light corrosion.

Fitted with new fixings.

Blog Entries
    I've been out for a spirited drive in it today, even in the cold weather the new Cup 2's are bloody amazing am very impressed and I can't wait until it warms up to see what they are like. The new shifter is a great improvement too and well worth the upgrade.

If anyone is Oxfordshire based I'm showing the car at the Henley Cargatta in May, looks like a good day out. http://www.henleycargatta.co.uk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've been out for a spirited drive in it today, even in the cold weather the new Cup 2's are bloody amazing am very impressed and I can't wait until it warms up to see what they are like. The new shifter is a great improvement too and well worth the upgrade.

If anyone is Oxfordshire based I'm showing the car at the Henley Cargatta in May, looks like a good day out. http://www.henleycargatta.co.uk
    A riveting thread for son and I.

Blog Entries
    The car was detailed today by my friend Luke who runs LG Autoworx.

First up the wheels were cleaned, degreased and sealed, then fitted with new centres and titanium bolts.

Then the whole car was paint corrected, polished and ceramic sealed etc, rather happy with how it has turned out.

Craftsman
    Absolutely gorgeous. A proper car, totally analogue with a non-chocolate naturally aspirated engine. Never sell it!

loving this thread - keep coming back to it and these photos do justice to the work you have done on it

Well rather than tinkering with mine, I’ll be spanking it round Oulton Park on Friday.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Blog Entries
    The car is now tucked up on a trickle charger under its cover as I’m off to California for the next 9 weeks, hopefully the summer will be upon us when I return!

I’m showing it at http://www.henleycargatta.co.uk if anyone local fancies a day out, a couple of friends are bringing a Miura SV, DB5 and 73 2.7 RS.

Blog Entries
    Apologies for the lack of posts over the last few months, I’ve been away in the US with work. I’ve just got the car back after a new RMS/starter motor/clutch and have started getting some miles on her, in between cleaning the hardest paint colour in the world to keep clean!!

I had an epic early morning drive out around Oxfordshire and the Cotswolds today with another TZ’er, the weather and roads were absolutely glorious. I’m getting more comfortable pressing on now and it’s an absolutely incredible car, the 210 miles I did in her today will testify to how much I love it!

Beautiful.

Last edited by boring_sandwich; 1st July 2018 at 21:58.

Craftsman
    Awesome car, please never sell.

I’ve just got (this week) a 997 Carrera S so been having some fun blasting around the twistes this afternoon.

in between cleaning the hardest paint colour in the world to keep clean!!
    Considered a ceramic coating? I had my black 997 done. You'd be surprised how easy it is to get a just-polished look with minimal effort when you've had it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Considered a ceramic coating? I had my black 997 done. You'd be surprised how easy it is to get a just-polished look with minimal effort when you've had it done.
    Some more info and pictures, if you would?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Some more info and pictures, if you would?
    I would love some info on this as well please...I have a basalt black 987.2 that needs some prep work and treatment and don’t know where to start.

I had it done a year ago.

To have it done properly it needs to go to a shop for at least a week and it will cost several hundred pounds.

They clean it in controlled conditions and prepare the paintwork (fill in chips etc). A ceramic coating is then meticulously applied by hand.

Since I had it done, all I do to the paintwork to make it shine like new is jet wash with clean water and then jet wash again with de-ionised water (I put a filter in the line) to eliminate the problem of water spots. The coating is hydrophobic, so a run round the block removes any excess water. Result: shiny car with minimal effort.

I've had the mitts on it once in the past year, mid-winter to get some grime off.

I'd definitely recommend it.

Plenty of info on the internet, and like anything there are people who dislike it. For an older black car, though, it's ideal. Takes the eye away from all the imperfections it's picked up over the years and makes cleaning a doddle.
    Last edited by Tony; 2nd July 2018 at 07:50.

Blog Entries
    Another small update: A friend and fellow Porsche nut sent me a link to a genuine Porsche part that removes the ashtray which I have no use for. I’ve fitted it this evening and am happy with the result. Shortly the centre console will be coming out to be painted body colour as it has a few marks on it which detract from the tidy interior.

Craftsman
    I really enjoyed reading this. The car is a credit to you and whoever gets it next will surely be in for a treat...if you ever sell that is!

Great thread, really enjoyed reading :-) hope GT3 still providing many smiles per mile

Blog Entries
    Well it’s been rather a long time since an update, I’ve been in the process of collecting a few bits for suspension refresh, picked up a centre tunnel so I can get it resprayed body coloured and have been lucky enough to collect another couple of parts.

Brand new springs, arb mounts, lock rings, spring perches and top hats and a spare set of shocks to get rebuilt by Bilstein.

A set of rear speakers to improve the rather limited & poor current set up.

And a genuine Porsche folding cup holder that clips into the air vents!

Journeyman
    Love the old school rawness of the 996.1 GT3, such an amazing car!

Couple of years back at Spa:

And trip to LeMans, what a fantastic 5 days:

Blog Entries
    I’ve finally got around to fitting my Cup steering wheel, painted centre console and I’ve got a set of 70’s style inserts for the buckets to add a bit of colour to the black....

Craftsman
    Love the seat inserts!

That must be one of the best 996 GT3's in the country, fantastic work. Can't wait to see pics when the new seat inserts have been installed

Master
    If you don’t already have rear speakers are you swapping the front amp for a 6 channel?

Blog Entries
    Thank you for all the kind comments, the wires are already in place for the rear speakers!

New covers fitted, absolutely love them!!