closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Removing the Mercedes Hand... blasphemy?

Craftsman

Removing the Mercedes Hand... blasphemy?

I never thought I would, but I find myself liking a lot of Rolexes. However I can't get over the Mercedes hand and cyclops. Just can't like them.

Have people replaced the hour hand in the past? Or is there just nothing that suits? Or is it just a case of "buy something else"?

Luckily my favourite, the Milgauss has neither, but I really like the Polar Explorer II...

Quote Originally Posted by RustyRoses View Post
    I never thought I would, but I find myself liking a lot of Rolexes. However I can't get over the Mercedes hand and cyclops. Just can't like them.

Have people replaced the hour hand in the past? Or is there just nothing that suits? Or is it just a case of "buy something else"?

Luckily my favourite, the Milgauss has neither, but I really like the Polar Explorer II...
    Pick a handset you like and ''go for it'', personally I believe Rolex should offer options such as Cyclops Y/N and alternative handsets after all the darned things cost enough.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

i also don't like the mercedes hands.

sword hands good, merc hands bad.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Does anyone have a photo of a modern no date sub with sword hands? I just want to see how it looks!

I also prefer sword hands, hence my decision to go for one of these. Would be interested if it were possible to have a Rolex with them but can't see that happening!

If I had a Rolex, those two things would be the first thing to go. I would also remove the stupid RolexRolexRolexRolex writing on the chapter/rehaut.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    If I had a Rolex, those two things would be the first thing to go. I would also remove the stupid RolexRolexRolexRolex writing on the chapter/rehaut.
    So replace the crystal , hands and case . Zzzzz

Ah yes the ''bling'' that they have taken to heart.

Grand Master
    For anyone who doesn’t like Mercedes hands the answer’s simple........buy a Rolex that doesn’t have Mercedes hands. There are plenty if options in the Rolex range that don’t have Mercedes hands!

Personally I think the Sub would look better with sword hands, but that wouldn’t put me off owning one......I’ve got better reasons for not wanting to own one (had two, both long gone).

I certainly wouldn’t advocate mofidying one and messing around with different handsets, even if you could find someone to this.

Paul

If I were you, I'd just buy something else.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Exactly, Rolex sport models are the most copied watches on the market. Tons of brands do look-a-likes without all kinds of variations. If you take away all the key visual elements that make a Rolex, a Rolex, you might as well buy something else.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Exactly, Rolex sport models are the most copied watches on the market. Tons of brands do look-a-likes without all kinds of variations. If you take away all the key visual elements that make a Rolex, a Rolex, you might as well buy something else.
    So if you don't happen to like er say a red Audi A3 you should buy something else like maybe a Citroën?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    +1, don't see the point of anguish.

mike

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Yup. This.

I agree with others, don't buy a specific Rolex then mess around with it, look that little bit harder for the actual watch that suits you. The Ginault thread currently running (not another Submariner review) should give you some inspiration, it ticked all the OPs boxes, so he bought one.

Banned
    You can’t see it unless you state like a window licker. Do you? Are you?

The repair also contains the serial number, sonassume it would have looked silly just in a random place, so have ‘filled’ the space with branding. Anyone who can’t stand an element or even more than one element of a watch and buys it, they’re a mug. Anyone who talks about it with such ‘hatred’ is more of a mug. There are SO many brands, so fill your boots.

As for the Ginault, it’s not bad at all, but Ocean Rover, deary me.

Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    As for the Ginault, it’s not bad at all, but Ocean Rover, deary me.
    Can't wait until they bring out the Watchy McWatch Face

Craftsman
    Subby McSubface you mean?

Answer = Tudor sub????
    Had the exact same (first world) issue...
    The Submariner is the classic dive watch, but I dislike the Mercedes hands and the Cyclops, so I bought a snowflake handed Tudor instead.
    I have to admit I have thought about buying a 5513 / 14060 and changing the hand set to sword I cant see me doing it though.
    Someone on here has done this I think but it has a reprinted milsub T dial.

Doesn't even have to be a snowflake - how about a Tudor Lollipop (centre)??

Dave

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Rajen has the "modded" milsub iirc.

Is it the milsub that has sword hands ?? have seen a modern sub that someone modified with a sword handset and i reckon it looked loads better.
    If thats what you want then why not, keep the original handset and change it back if you decide to move it on. Much as i like Rolex they are not above being modded, it is yours after all.

If I disliked a lot of aspects of a watch I would never consider buying it.
    We all like different styles and brands and my weakness is Omegas.
    However certain omegas leave me cold and I would never buy one I didn't like aspects of only to try and change it.
    This is just my own view probably because I don't like changing things from standard.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Master
    There are submariners with sword hands, just might cost a little more than you may think worthwhile to obtain this look......

In my eyes the dreaded cyclops has ruined many a nice Rolex

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    nobody has mentioned that before - have you got one?

Banned
    How has it ruined one? You can buy a version without a date at all, or one with a date and no cyclops. Own a Seiko I’ll wager?

Master
    The cyclops is my pet hate too. However, there's always the option to remove it or buy a Seadweller instead of a Sub. I was on the verge of selling my Tudor chrono, because it was getting little use for that reason, then I chopped off the cyclops and now all is good.

Just out of interest, would Rolex refuse to service a sub that had the cyclops removed, insist it had the crystal changed for the correct one with a cyclops on or have no opinion about it at all, anybody know??

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by degsey View Post
    If I disliked a lot of aspects of a watch I would never consider buying it.
    Totally agree. I'd never buy a Merc handed Rolex but a 39mm OP or a Milgauss I would.

It's just that I keep coming back to the Explorer II... and the hour hand and the Cyclops isn't a lot of aspects in my opinion.

Honestly, I was just wondering if people swap out the hour hand for a sword one, and if so, what hands they use. Doesn't seem like it's common then.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Just out of interest, would Rolex refuse to service a sub that had the cyclops removed, insist it had the crystal changed for the correct one with a cyclops on or have no opinion about it at all, anybody know??
    The Cyclops on my Submariner was removed by Rolex sometime in 1984, they've subsequently serviced the watch a few times with no problems and never insisted that a ''with Cyclops crystal'' be re-instated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor View Post
    nobody has mentioned that before - have you got one?
    Just the one,

How has it ruined one? You can buy a version without a date at all, or one with a date and no cyclops. Own a Seiko I’ll wager?
    Seiko no, but some nice Grand Seikos available.

Sorry but please link to a Submariner date that someone can buy from an AD without the Cyclops?

Totally agree. I'd never buy a Merc handed Rolex but a 39mm OP or a Milgauss I would.

It's just that I keep coming back to the Explorer II... and the hour hand and the Cyclops isn't a lot of aspects in my opinion.

Honestly, I was just wondering if people swap out the hour hand for a sword one, and if so, what hands they use. Doesn't seem like it's common then.
    I see what you mean. Tough choice then. If it was possible to find one that was in desperate need for restoring I would feel better about changing has and so on to my own preferences. I suppose the problem s they are not the sort of watch that gets neglected to that degree.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Master
    Very nice, surprised that the addition of a date and cyclops disturbs you so much - I like them both.
    Just the one,

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Sorry but please link to a Submariner date that someone can buy from an AD without the Cyclops?
    Rolex st james told me that at service they would be happy to swap out for a non cyclops Crystal on the GMT I had at the time, This was a few years back so maybe it’s changed

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor View Post
    Very nice, surprised that the addition of a date and cyclops disturbs you so much - I like them both.
    No I have nothing against dates, own quite few of various brands it is just a cyclops that I have never been able to love.

Then again I can quite accept that to many it is not a problem, just one of my many foibles

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Cyclops which ruined a Rolex he said. I just highlighted options without. As you were, there’s other threads in need of nit picking.

Weirdo

Seiko no, but some nice Grand Seikos available.
    O.M.G. apart from everything else the memory is fading, completely for got my R.A.F. Gen2

Yeah, sounds a bit daft but that's why I like milsubs so much. Sword hands are great- even better on the military seamasters imho.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I just bought the painting Sunflowers in a Vase by Van Goch, cost me £65,000,000, but I hate sunflowers, is there a reputable artist who can repaint it with roses?
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Craftsman
    Lol it's more like changing the alloys on your Ferrari than painting over an original Van Gogh don't you think?

Lol it's more like changing the alloys on your Ferrari than painting over an original Van Gogh don't you think?
    No, it's about people with more money than sense paying through the nose for something that they don't like then paying someone else to change it.

It would make a cat laugh.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by luddite View Post
    No, it's about people with more money than sense paying through the nose for something that they don't like then paying someone else to change it.

It would make a cat laugh.
    The same argument could be used at people who buy a brand new Seiko and then mod it. Coat/value means different things to different people.

Why are people not allowed to do what they like with their possessions? I bought a rolex, the first thing I did was spend money on a strap to replace the expensive bracelet. Given that the hands can easily be replaced and returned to normal (on the basis that there are other hands which fit) then I really don't see the issue myself. If it makes you happy, then who cares what others think :)

I don't care what others think, if I wanted a different watch I'd buy a different watch. In fact I have done.

Sent using my finger and the TZ-UK app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by luddite View Post
    I don't care what others think, if I wanted a different watch I'd buy a different watch. In fact I have done.

Sent using my finger and the TZ-UK app
    Yet if hands can be replaced, why shouldn't they if it makes the owner happy? I wouldn't have bought my sub if it came with a Cyclops, but I wanted a sub and was happy to have a modded one rather than just buy something that came from the factory without one.