closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watch Spotting

Watch Spotting

Quick shopping trip around Bluewater yesterday, mainly buying to impending baby items!

However watch spotting (as I usually do) all I noticed was Rolex Subs on people. Now I love the Rolex Sub & think the modern 114060 is a great watch & one watch that could do everything. As per previous threads I’m torn between this an a birth year 5513.

Maybe a bit a snobbery on my part but I couldn’t help but think of 3 things:

1) People who’ve come into a bit of money, know Rolex = success/ status. Famous watch buy a Sub.

2) Watch guys like us, who appreciate the watch.

3) Fakes, who think they are getting away with it. (Truth be told I saw a skydweller & white gold Sub on 2 people).

If they later, it kind of put me off owning a modern sub, more so as 80% of people o saw was wearing one.

Maybe it just shows the success of the brand. Much like Apple (who I’ve bought into long ago).

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by McBeardy; 12th November 2017 at 13:33. Reason: Wrong Metal

Never heard of a platinum Sub. One of the reasons I bought an Explorer is because I didn't want to see every man and his dog wearing the same watch as me. Subs are for cretins.

Quote Originally Posted by jacktheripper View Post
    Never heard of a platinum Sub. One of the reasons I bought an Explorer is because I didn't want to see every man and his dog wearing the same watch as me. Subs are for cretins.
    Just realised it was probably white gold! Blue face mode isn’t still is it? I know the sky blue faces are platinum!

Apprentice
    Haha i've just spat coffee over my screen ! I'm going to try to fit the word cretin into as many conversations as possible today :)

Subs are for cretins.
    Good to know. I shall get rid of mine immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    Good to know. I shall get rid of mine immediately.
    Excellent decision. The best you'll have made all year.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Bollocks!
    Denial is a terrible thing.

Quote Originally Posted by furiousjoe View Post
    Haha i've just spat coffee over my screen ! I'm going to try to fit the word cretin into as many conversations as possible today :)
    Glad to be of service.

Craftsman
    Subs are ubiquitous for a reason, but I do agree, when things become too popular it lessens the joy I have from wearing one (owning one is still a joy though).

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Just realised it was probably white gold! Blue face mode isn’t still is it? I know the sky blue faces are platinum!

Cobolt blue dial Sub = white gold cretin.

Ice blue dial Daytona = platinum cretin.

Glad to be updated on my knowledge of cretins

So are you actually saying you would have preferred to have bought the Submariner but bought a different watch on the basis of some inverse feeling of peer group pressure and conformity rather than on the merits or otherwise of the watch. But, you still felt that you needed a Rolex on your wrist so you could explain your brilliant reasoning and derision for the Sub ?

Just asking for a friend who is thinking of buying one .

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    So are you actually saying you would have preferred to have bought the Submariner but bought a different watch on the basis of some inverse feeling of peer group pressure and conformity rather than on the merits or otherwise of the watch. But, you still felt that you needed a Rolex on your wrist so you could explain your brilliant reasoning and derision for the Sub ?

Just asking for a friend who is thinking of buying one .
    No. If you read my post, I said it was only one of the reasons. I don't like the new maxi case on the Sub - the brutalist squared crown guards and the ugly squared lugs which are too wide. I also dislike the thickness of the case, the way it stands proud on the wrist and I don't like rotating bezels with clown numbers barely anyone uses - these bezels are especially useless in Bentley showrooms. And as I mentioned, I'm not a fan of how common they are.

Therefore, I bought the Explorer because it's more elegant, understated, slimmer on the wrist with sleeker lugs. It's also rarer and a better all-round, do-anything watch. Okay?

Oh and good luck with your new Sub. Sorry, your ' friend's ' new Sub.
    Last edited by jacktheripper; 12th November 2017 at 14:59.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Cretin.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Cretin.
    Good word innit? I take it you own a Sub.

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Glad to be updated on my knowledge of cretins

Get yourself one of these and be done with it (just don't tell too many people) You'll feel much better when you're next in a bar/ restaurant/ supermarket/ train/ meeting and you see a Sub-wearing cretin. You'll look at your far superior Explorer with beautiful tapered lugs and know that you made the right decision. I know I have, countless times.

Blog Entries

You could express your views on a watch without being so aggressive or insulting on the open forum. There's no need for it really.

Blog Entries
    No. If you read my post, I said it was only one of the reasons. I don't like the new maxi case on the Sub - the brutalist squared crown guards and the ugly squared lugs which are too wide. I also dislike the thickness of the case, the way it stands proud on the wrist and I don't like rotating bezels with clown numbers barely anyone uses - these bezels are especially useless in Bentley showrooms. And as I mentioned, I'm not a fan of how common they are.

Therefore, I bought the Explorer because it's more elegant, understated, slimmer on the wrist with sleeker lugs. It's also rarer and a better all-round, do-anything watch. Okay?

Oh and good luck with your new Sub.
    I think you need to seek professional help. Apparently the fear of clowns is quite common but can be helped. Or perhaps you are a person who is physically deformed and has learning difficulties because of congenital thyroid deficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I think you need to seek professional help. Apparently the fear of clowns is quite common but can be helped. Or perhaps you are a person who is physically deformed and has learning difficulties because of congenital thyroid deficiency.
    I like that you had to look up the traditional definition of Cretin.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    You could express your views on a watch without being so aggressive or insulting on the open forum. There's no need for it really.
    What can I say? I'm sorry for any feelings I may have hurt. Particularly those of Sub and Daytona wearing cretins.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Good word innit? I take it you own a Sub.
    your question mark is misplaced.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    your question mark is misplaced.
    Your thought that I care is misplaced.

Quote Originally Posted by jalebi View Post
    Subs are ubiquitous for a reason, but I do agree, when things become too popular it lessens the joy I have from wearing one (owning one is still a joy though).
    I agree. If you keep the Sub in a safe and you never wear it (or look at it) it's the perfect watch.

Your thought that I care is misplaced.
    You've been here since Aug 16 with only a few posts, then decide to come on to the WT section and call people cretins for owning a Sub?
    Sounds like to me you probably have a Sub to sell in the SC?

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    You've been here since Aug 16 with only a few posts, then decide to come on to the WT section and call people cretins for owning a Sub?
    Sounds like to me you probably have a Sub to sell in the SC?
    You wish I did, it'd be your lucky day. I'd only be asking £1 for it. As for post count, is that the measure of ones genitalia around here? Post count seems to mean everything to you and probably thousands of others who make this place their daily playground. I don't care if you've been here since the start and you've got a million posts. It just makes you a big fish in a small pond. But you like that I guess.

You wish I did, it'd be your lucky day. I'd only be asking £1 for it. As for post count, is that the measure of ones genitalia around here? Post count means everything to you and probably thousands of others who make this place their daily playground. I don't care if you've been here since the start and you've got a million posts. It just makes you a big fish in a small pond.
    You kind of misunderstand the reason for highlighting your tiny post count

As with many dual ID halfwits they just can't resist popping their head above the parapet every now and again and remind us how edgy they were with their opinions.

You kind of misunderstand the reason for highlighting your tiny post count

As with many dual ID halfwits they just can't resist popping their head above the parapet every now and again and remind us how edgy they were with their opinions.
    I have one ID and I'm proud of it. I post when I feel like it, not relelentlessley like some people who cant remove themselves from the screen, even to eat.

I have one ID and I'm proud of it. I post when I feel like it, not relelentlessley like some people who cant remove themselves from the screen, even to eat.
    That’s what they all say, you’re not going to come out and sayok guys, hands up I’m xxxxx are you?

That’s what they all say, you’re not going to come out and sayok guys, hands up I’m xxxxx are you?
    Sorry, yes, I'm Franky Four Fingers.

Master
    This has got to be Belligero.
    Or his nasty-arsed alter-ego if that's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    This has got to be Belligero.
    Or his nasty-arsed alter-ego if that's possible.
    I've told you, I'm Franky Four Fingers. Hang on, let me switch users and respond...

Btw forgot to say, there’s really nothing to be proud of by naming yourself after a person who put the fear of hell in to women in Whitechapel the late 19th century

Btw forgot to say, there’s really nothing to be proud of bynaming yourself after a person who put the fear of hell in to womenin Whitechapel in the late 19th century
    Well if it's really so terrible, why did you forget to say?

Journeyman
    Back to the OP's thoughts. I can totally see how the Subs ubiquity can make it less appealing. Try as we might to convince ourselves we are beings of rational thought who would only seek out a watch on its merit, knowing that every other guy has it on his wrist (even if based on merit alone) just deflates our sense of individuality. Moreso if deep inside you know most of these guys are not watch connoisseurs but have acquired Subs because, you know, its a Rolex Sub. There's nothing wrong with what they've done. But still, there's something about following the herd that doesn't sit right sometimes. Same goes for the Explorer to be honest. It's not a rare watch. Not really.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there would be no judgement from me if the OP decided against the Sub for the reasons they listed. Or that he would have my support- so far as the judgments and support of a forum stranger matter. Yes, it's snobby but I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't be going through the same thought process.

Master
    You're funny......how deep can you dive with your explorer on your wrist....

Asking for a friend..

Master
    It's an interesting point. Does seeing loads of people wearing your watch (or its 'clone') diminish its lustre for you?

We saw this in our teens if we discovered a band in their early stages. It felt special and more of a privilege than when they were global superstars and everyone and their brother were into them. The intrinsic thing isn't the only part of appeal.

I often wear a steinhart and never see another out and about, but I will see a few of the watch it's homaging.

My precista blanc pain homage, on the other hand (wrist?), will look nothing like anyone else's watch.

Do I get extra pleasure from wearing something more distinct? Probably.

Does wearing my oris tt1 give even more pleasure, knowing it's original and distinctive?! Probably.....

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kallang View Post
    But still, there's something about following the herd. Same goes for the Explorer to be honest. It's not a rare watch. Not really.
    I've travelled all over and I'm yet to see an Explorer I on another wrist since buying mine back in 2013. Seen 36mm and 39mm Explorers in AD and jewellers windows but never on the wrist in the wild. I've seen two Explorer II's and three Milgauss in the wild so in my experience, the Explorer I is also rarer than both of those.
    Last edited by jacktheripper; 12th November 2017 at 16:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    You're funny......how deep can you dive with your explorer on your wrist....

Asking for a friend..
    I know I'm funny, you don't have to tell me Mr Powell. I believe it's rated to 100 meters but I understand that they make Oysters to be more robust than their ratings. I'll let you know when I'm diving in the Aegean next month.

Master
    I know I'm funny, you don't have to tell me Mr Powell. I believe it's rated to 100 meters but I understand that they make Oysters to be more robust than their ratings. I'll let you know when I'm diving in the Aegean next month.
    Nah, we're still waiting for the funny, that's 'amusing funny' btw.

Never feed the troll
    Never feed the troll
    Never feed the troll

jacktheripper, you are aggressive, rude, and discourteous. The forum doesn’t need any more of your kind of nonsense. Find somewhere else to vent your destructiveness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah, we're still waiting for the funny, that's 'amusing funny' btw.
    Each to their own. BTW, if I only amuse myself, I'm happy with that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Never feed the troll
    Never feed the troll
    Never feed the troll

jacktheripper, you are aggressive, rude, and discourteous. The forum doesn’t need any more of your kind of nonsense. Find somewhere else to vent your destructiveness

Feed the troll = throw him a spade, they usually keep digging then regret it when they sober up.
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 12th November 2017 at 16:26. Reason: that's funny btw, I don't charge for a first lesson

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Never feed the troll
    Never feed the troll
    Never feed the troll

Ah come on now, you're taking it too far. I only said Subs were crap, overrated and common as urine.

Sent from my pearPhone using Yabbatalk.
    Last edited by jacktheripper; 12th November 2017 at 16:28.

Feed the troll = throw him a spade, they usually keep digging then regret it when they sober up.
    I already regret it, please accept my sincere aplologies. I was only attempting to get my postcount up. The postcount that I can't even see. The postcount that is completely irrelevant.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    It's an interesting point. Does seeing loads of people wearing your watch (or its 'clone') diminish its lustre for you?
    No.
    Very few things in this world are completely unique and it doesn't really matter if externally they're mass produced or ubiquitous or whatever because once they become mine and I wear them, I associate them with parts of my life which are individual to me.
    Sure they can be one of millions, but then again, so are we and so is the majority of everything we own.
    What we do with stuff makes it ours.

(Ymmv)

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    No.
    Very few things in this world are completely unique and it doesn't really matter if externally they're mass produced or ubiquitous or whatever because once they become mine and I wear them, I associate them with parts of my life which are individual to me.
    Sure they can be one of millions, but then again, so are we and so is the majority of everything we own.

(Ymmv)
    Nah. What philosophical drivel.

Master
    No.

(Ymmv)
    What you are saying about mass production is undeniable, but there's a difference between the logic of knowing that and the practicality of seeing what you have everywhere else.

I would say this is also very conspicuous with cars too.

Master
    Excellent....could you do us all a favour?

When you dive, go down 3 times, but come up twice...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    What you are saying about mass production is undeniable, but there's a difference between the logic of knowing that and the practicality of seeing what you have everywhere else.

I would say this is also very conspicuous with cars too.
    It's really conspicuous everywhere. But I still think that the things we own eventually become personal to us, so I've never really cared if Ive seen a watch I own on someone else.
    God knows you can't really avoid them on watch forums unless you're willing to spend an astronomical amount.

Master
    It's really conspicuous everywhere. But I still think that the things we own eventually become personal to us, so I've never really cared if Ive seen a watch I own on someone else.
    God knows you can't really avoid them on watch forums unless you're willing to spend an astronomical amount.
    I'm not talking about watch forums, I'm meaning when out and about or at work etc. There's no chance of having anything feel unique on here! ;-)