closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: DSSD

Craftsman

DSSD

Just pulled the trigger on an original DSSD. It will be my third as the last 2 I had, I sold on relatively soon to buying and still can't put my finger on why. Given the choice, I'd have gone for the SD4000, but couldn't stomach paying £9k for a watch that I bought new for £6.5 and sold a year ago for £5.5k, so bought an 8 year old unworn, stickered and unused box for £7,350. Better deal in my book

Is anyone a long term owner of the DSSD?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Like you, I flipped mine after a short time. I probably should have given it more time and definitely should have tried it on the RubberB. I don't think I'd buy another unless a Cameron crossed my path.

Owned mine since 2011, get the most wrist time

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by w2w View Post
    Just pulled the trigger on an original DSSD. It will be my third as the last 2 I had, I sold on relatively soon to buying and still can't put my finger on why. Given the choice, I'd have gone for the SD4000, but couldn't stomach paying £9k for a watch that I bought new for £6.5 and sold a year ago for £5.5k, so bought an 8 year old unworn, stickered and unused box for £7,350. Better deal in my book

Is anyone a long term owner of the DSSD?
    I think it's a fabulous watch true to the tradition of development in Rolex professional diver models. You forget what a big lump of a thing it is once you've had it on for a day or so. I've got weedy 6 1/2 inch wrists but it wears extremely comfortably and the glidelock clasp is a great feature and so easy to let out or tighten. For its size, it's never attracted any particular attention. I think a couple of people have asked for a look in the 7 or so years I've worn it. Compared to the SD43/50 I prefer the DSSD's proportions - it's bigger all round and obviously sits high off the wrist. I don't think I've knocked it any more than a smaller watch as a result and anything that gets knocked generally comes off a poor second!

For all of that, I'm not sure anything will convince you to like it if you have tried it twice before!

Real shame you sold the SD4000. That really is a classic and I thought so at the time in the face of overwhelming opinion to the contrary! Maybe the black dial DSSD will get binned next year and it'll start to get a bit more love.

I have had one since 2012. Bought for my 40th. I never really got on with it as it was a bit uncomfortable. Only this year did I remove the divers extension and it now fits perfect. Oh....and of course a Rubber B :)

Agree ade, I haven't worn it on the bracelet for years.

]

Master
    I'm a year in with a DSSD and love it, gets by far the most wrist time. Was also lucky enough to be able to get a DBlue and this is going to be sacrilege but I really do prefer the black.

I’ve had mine for around 5 years and love it. One of my favorite watches. Ex’s father wears one every day. I think they look great on, and personally love the bracelet.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    One of my favorite watches. I think they look great on, and personally love the bracelet.
    Totally agree with this I have the D-Blue version, and wearing it today.

Grand Master
    Never been without one for the last 7 years. Great watch
    RIAC

Master
    I have had mine for a little over 3 years and it is probably my favourite watch.

I have a rubber b for it which is nice enough but i really like the bracelet. I removed the extension and find it very comfortable.

Craftsman
    I'm hoping to get on with it a bit better this time as I've been mainly wearing an Omega Regatta 300m chrono diver for the last year or so and that's about the same dimensions and weight. My 16600 SD feels tiny if I put it on straight after

Reckon I've had a touch paying £7350 for an unworn DSSD fully stickered up in the current climate of SS Sports Rolex's

I've had one since 2010 and I love it, it is a big chunky piece but then I find anything sub 39mm a bit small as I have 7.5 inch wrists. I alternate between Rubber B and the bracelet. Hardly anyone notices it on rubber - I think they expect a sport Rolex to have a bracelet and dismiss it as something else.
    The first one I had was stolen in a burglary, but I replaced it with one from the forum, albeit a 2011 version (Still a flat S version original dial).

^^^^ looks great with the black and a perfect sized watch for you.

Master
    I had a black originally and sold after a few years to get the blue. No regrets, the dial pops in the sunlight, I love how the crystal looks from different angles, love the feel of the watch on my wrist. It would be a very close call between my d blue and my ff for my favourite watch ever.
    If I am going away for any length of time, and I will not be able to rotate, I always wear the d blue.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Robsmck; 11th November 2017 at 09:16.

Craftsman
    Had mine since new in 2010 and love it, I'd never want to flip it

Blog Entries
    I'm the same have had 2 and flipped them both. I got hold of a Dssd blue couple of months ago and instantly put it on a Rubber B. Bingo now love it, now really comfy and looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Lost one - bought a D Blue last year with my ROO gets most wrist time.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maccer View Post
    Lost one - bought a D Blue last year with my ROO gets most wrist time.
    That is good to know.

Craftsman
    I feel the same as the OP. I’d like something more interesting than a Submariner and I also like ‘em a bit chunkier. An SD4000 might be the solution but I’m loathe to pay 9.5k for one.

I currently wear a Breitling Seawolf as a daily, which is right on the cusp of what my slightly less than 7” wrist can get away with. The DSSD is slightly smaller so should be perfect.

But there’s always the GMT master which keeps catching my eye...

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    ^^^^ looks great with the black and a perfect sized watch for you.
    Thanks, all the stories going around that it was a big watch, I made sure I tried it on before I bought one, once I tried it and it fitted job done.

As many have said you have got to try it on before buying.

Had mine since 2010 new ,love it so much I bought another this year 2010 model , one for each child when they grow up

Blog Entries
    Six months in and my other Rolex’s have hardly seen the light of day. It’s a special model and for me wears perfectly.

Interesting I did this evening dig out my T<25 Pepsi to wear out and felt very underwhelmed, first time ever.

Master
    Deep Blue is the one watch I have regretted selling, name down to get another.

Craftsman
    Nice to read a DSSD like thread rather than the usual knockers. I've had mine since the first year of release and at first was unsure of the practicality of the size but it soon became the norm. I now prefer it to all my watches and actually gave my explorer to my wife as it felt too small and had stopped wearing it.
    Last edited by meridian; 11th November 2017 at 08:17. Reason: Grammar

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Six months in and my other Rolex’s have hardly seen the light of day. It’s a special model and for me wears perfectly.

Interesting I did this evening dig out my T<25 Pepsi to wear out and felt very underwhelmed, first time ever.
    The d blue is the yardstick by which I judge any other watch. Luckily for the others I do like variety at times.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    I'm a year in with a DSSD and love it, gets by far the most wrist time. Was also lucky enough to be able to get a DBlue and this is going to be sacrilege but I really do prefer the black.
    I have to agree, I was desperate for a dblue I bought the DVD & the book & them my AD got me one in for £8650 but for me it just didn't look classic enough.

A great looking watch & something I really need to put some effort into acquiring a 2008 original.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Like you, I flipped mine after a short time. I probably should have given it more time and definitely should have tried it on the RubberB. I don't think I'd buy another unless a Cameron crossed my path.
    No bonding here, either; I had one for almost three years, yet never wore it despite its uniquely-excellent clasp and great overall quality. The 116600 Sea-Dweller always scratched the modern-diver's-watch itch better, and after the 16610LV arrived, the Deepsea never got another look. I have the wrist for it, but it was always just a bit over-the-top for me. For that reason, I'd be even less inclined to go for the D-Blue version.

Banned
    The DSSD is one of those watches many wis will try and unfortunately dismiss too quickly. Yes, it’s a brute which will feel odd if you’re used to wearing smaller (less thick) watches, but who has the opportunity to keep something for a ‘test’ period, not many, but that is the advantage of a forum as you can flip watches.

The watch was the intro for Rolex into larger watches generally, now we have the Yachtmaster2, skydweller, SD43 etc which are all thicker than previous model ranges. The DSSD started that trend. Must admit I’ve never understood the attraction to the Dblue though and yes I bought one (and sold for profit) but to me the dial was gimmicky. The graded blue for me looks childlike, but each to their own or maybe I’m just a black dial fan.

Excluding the Cyclops, isn't the 126600 is the same thickness as the earlier 116600, or at least close enough for the difference to be negligible?

The new one is noticeably thinner. Still chunky though.

Craftsman
    The SD43 is 15.2mm thick, same as the SD4000 so it will wear a bit slimmer than the 17.7mm DSSD.