closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 139 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Bitcoin

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Quick question re working out rates on exchanges like Binance. What do they set their currency pair rate against? For example, if buying alt coin X with ETH, how do they set their ETH rate? Do they take it from the BTC rate?
    The exchanges don't "set" the rate; the rate is determined by the market (i.e. the buyers and sellers) on that exchange. As said above the volume and liquidity on particular exchanges may drive differences between them.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Something worth reflecting on...

Just popping this up to remind people that the value of your coins my go up, down or disappear in a puff of code:

http://deadcoins.com

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Just popping this up to remind people that the value of your coins my go up, down or disappear in a puff of code:

That's some list!

Come on Matt, don't spoil the fun!

Certainly a large list though.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

The good news is that TZcoin isn't showing on the list.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    The good news is that TZcoin isn't showing on the list.
    Will that be pegged to the value of a used Rolex with full box, papers and service history?

Master

I stick with coins approaching or over £1 billion market cap. Much smaller and the market can be manipulated by one or 2 individuals with much more money than me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    When I logged into Coinbase earlier (IOS app) a message popped up to say they will join longer accept payments from a Nationwide account. Has anyone else had a similar message? Is it just Nationwide or are other banks now verboten? Any idea why this might be?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    When I logged into Coinbase earlier (IOS app) a message popped up to say they will join longer accept payments from a Nationwide account. Has anyone else had a similar message? Is it just Nationwide or are other banks now verboten? Any idea why this might be?
    Yes, I had a similar message. Only Nationwide mentioned. I have no idea of its significance.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by groyn View Post
    Yes, I had a similar message. Only Nationwide mentioned. I have no idea of its significance.
    Found a Reddit thread about it, something to do with them using an intermediary for SEPA. Although it looks like you can buy using a debit card although I haven't tested it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    Found a Reddit thread about it, something to do with them using an intermediary for SEPA. Although it looks like you can buy using a debit card although I haven't tested it.
    It's been on for months. I switched from nationwide because of this. I presumed it had something to do with it being a building society.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    It's been on for months. I switched from nationwide because of this. I presumed it had something to do with it being a building society.
    There are a few others - CO-OP bank is in a similar (not a proper bank) position.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    Its the first time it's shown the message to me, I've only ever had a NW a/c attached to it. Anyway, this is the thread I found:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CoinBase/co...funds_to_a_uk/

Craftsman
    Set up a Revolut account and use that with Coinbase. I tried to use my Barclays account but as it was a joint account and the 'name' did not match the Coinbase account name they rejected verification.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I also set up revolut after virgin/mbna stopped allowing payments to coinbase. Was very easy, took about 10min to sort revolut (enabling the euro account was the only tricky bit) and a day for the transfer to go through.

Master
    Can anyone recommend an iOS app that allows you to enter your portfolio and get up-to-date values? I don't need to be able to trade etc., just to get a picture of value and holdings.

I had a look on the app store and there seems to be quite a few so thought I'd ask for a recommendation.

Cheers and Happy New Year.

Banned
    Can anyone recommend an iOS app that allows you to enter your portfolio and get up-to-date values? I don't need to be able to trade etc., just to get a picture of value and holdings.

I had a look on the app store and there seems to be quite a few so thought I'd ask for a recommendation.

Cheers and Happy New Year.
    I use Delta because it's somewhat clearer. However Blockfolio is another also.

Apprentice
    Delta for me also. Really nice app to use once you’ve inputted your transactions

Craftsman
    Have ended up with Blockfolio as it seems to be the fastest to update current prices.

Journeyman
    Just installed Blockfolio this afternoon and it seems to do what’s required, even showing GBP as the currency of my total portfolio..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ibby7 View Post
    I use Delta because it's somewhat clearer. However Blockfolio is another also.

Thanks. Downloaded today and inputting transactions. Seems to do what I want which is show an overall view of holdings and values. Also allows drilling down into various coins which I hadn't considered for this type of thing.

Looks good so far so thanks for the pointer.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Have to say I’m extremely dubious about IOTA, I have a few but there are just too many issues to put any more money in.
    Can you please elaborate on the issues, I'm interested to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Firstly the "snapshot" process that allows the IOTA "team" (whoever they are) to appropriate funds from people - quote from blog.iota.org "... the IOTA team took the decision to protect IOTA token holders by taking those funds ... into temporary custody ..."

Secondly the reported difficulties users have of actually sending IOTA anywhere - I've tried sending from an exchange without luck; my problems could easily be exchange related but there seem to be too many reports of problems for that to be the sole cause

Thirdly the ongoing claim and reclaim steps that seem necessary for users to actually maintain ownership of their tokens or they are deemed "donated"

Fourthly the fact that the tangle relies on a centralised "co-ordinator" controlled by the IOTA team

Finally the attitude that the official representatives display in public is frankly appalling.

Master
    Firstly the "snapshot" process that allows the IOTA "team" (whoever they are) to appropriate funds from people - quote from blog.iota.org "... the IOTA team took the decision to protect IOTA token holders by taking those funds ... into temporary custody ..."

Secondly the reported difficulties users have of actually sending IOTA anywhere - I've tried sending from an exchange without luck; my problems could easily be exchange related but there seem to be too many reports of problems for that to be the sole cause

Thirdly the ongoing claim and reclaim steps that seem necessary for users to actually maintain ownership of their tokens or they are deemed "donated"

Fourthly the fact that the tangle relies on a centralised "co-ordinator" controlled by the IOTA team

Finally the attitude that the official representatives display in public is frankly appalling.
    That's interesting to note. I used Binance to buy some and withdrawal is always marked as Suspended due to network congestion.

As far as I know, the co-ordinator is in place till they get more volume, traction etc and should be done away with over time.

The other points I don't know about but will go and take a look now.

Having said all that, I do think that the area they are targeting is really interesting and would have a lot of volume over time. The only other team looking at something else along the same lines is RailBlocks as far as I know, but they are only on a couple of exchanges.

Be really interested to see what you think about how the two compare (or not).

Thank for that. All your points are valid and I think backs up my thoughts that they are at the moment a poorly run organisation. This is what I feel has held them back and hope bigger partnerships (the Bosch one in particular) is what is needed to give it the kick up the backside that is needed.

I wonder if the fact they're German is a reason

Oh on the overall thread - my Stellar (XLM) has gone through the roof! Picking up speed ahead of whenever the fairx.io goes live. My other long term hold Cardano (ADA) is also bubbling along nicely. I feel ADA can go past the dollar mark this month which would be very exciting

Master
    Oh on the overall thread - my Stellar (XLM) has gone through the roof! Picking up speed ahead of whenever the fairx.io goes live. My other long term hold Cardano (ADA) is also bubbling along nicely. I feel ADA can go past the dollar mark this month which would be very exciting
    What do you think the long-term outlook for Stellar is? Haven't gotten into it yet so be good to get your view.
    Good that you're in profit on it, always nice to hear.

What do you think the long-term outlook for Stellar is? Haven't gotten into it yet so be good to get your view.
    Good that you're in profit on it, always nice to hear.
    Doubled money so far, now a question of when/if to buy more

I'm not sure if I'm honest - I need to do more reading into how exactly the Lumens are used in transactions themselves in the context of the Fairx.io exchange. I think we really need to see this launch and beat the pants of coinbase. If it does that and the crypto thing doesn't burst it has a bright future.

I also see this as an alternative to Ripple which I'm not a huge fan of (though Ripple could break the $5 and could challenge BTC this year.....)

Thanks. Downloaded today and inputting transactions. Seems to do what I want which is show an overall view of holdings and values. Also allows drilling down into various coins which I hadn't considered for this type of thing.

Looks good so far so thanks for the pointer.
    You might be sorted now, but I recommend ‘Coin Profit’.
    A nice feature is that you can have several ‘wallets’ (for different exchanges, hardware etc) and their totals as well as grand total is shown.

Craftsman
    My holding in Ripple/XRP was just a lucky scattergun approach that paid off.

So what other coins are people investing in?

Are there any decent sites out there that more honestly review the crypto offerings or provide easier to consume information rather than 100 page white papers?

My current holdings stretch into the following, but more so because of price action and trend rather than fundamentals.

ADA
    XLM
    REQ

Master
    Raiblocks has been popular on another forum I frequent (XRB)

They were bigging it up when it was cents, now its flying

Journeyman
    This might be of interest as well: https://www.media.mit.edu/posts/iota-response/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Raiblocks has been popular on another forum I frequent (XRB)

They were bigging it up when it was cents, now its flying
    They do look interesting, but they're on a limited number of exchanges and I'm not sure I want yet another exchange account. Might have a look anyway. Of the exchanges they're on, which is the one to look at?

Journeyman
    They do look interesting, but they're on a limited number of exchanges and I'm not sure I want yet another exchange account. Might have a look anyway. Of the exchanges they're on, which is the one to look at?
    Bitgrail is the one preferred by the community however these days the core XRB team is launching their own exchange which could simplify things and can be found here: https://rai.exchange/

Quote Originally Posted by fleshpress View Post
    This might be of interest as well: https://www.media.mit.edu/posts/iota-response/
    Thanks for that - apart from being a PR disaster, the one technical issue which worries me is the supposed central control that seems to be needed/unclear about. Compared to other top 10 cryptos it seems to be one of the less well run ones.

Portfolio is booming at the moment - Stellar (XLM) and Cardano (ADA), my two main long term interests are doing great. Lets see how long this lasts for.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fleshpress View Post
    Bitgrail is the one preferred by the community however these days the core XRB team is launching their own exchange which could simplify things and can be found here: https://rai.exchange/
    Thanks - I'll have a look at that.

Thanks for that - apart from being a PR disaster, the one technical issue which worries me is the supposed central control that seems to be needed/unclear about. Compared to other top 10 cryptos it seems to be one of the less well run ones.

Portfolio is booming at the moment - Stellar (XLM) and Cardano (ADA), my two main long term interests are doing great. Lets see how long this lasts for.
    My lower limit for XLM didn't quite kick in yesterday - was off by a tiny amount so have sat there watching it climb today. I got a few the day before, but was testing the water so had a bigger buy order at a slightly lower amount. Oh well, will have to see if there is an opportunity to get some more in a dip.

Be interested to hear views about the long-term values for ADA and XLM, especially given the storming run that Ripple is having.

Another interesting day....

Master
    Hi

Can anyone recommend a good way to set up a MyEtherWallet on a Mac?

There are a couple of video tutorials that I've found but would appreciate any guidance from anyone that's done it themselves. I want to make sure I fully understand things like MetaMask etc. There are a couple of custom tokens that I want to store there, and I want to know how to set it up generally anyway.

Thanks
    Last edited by bambam; 4th January 2018 at 11:28.

Craftsman
    thanks - have just downloaded Blockfolio - seems reasonable....
    Holding Ripple still, but looking for the next one

Quote Originally Posted by Siysiy View Post
    thanks - have just downloaded Blockfolio - seems reasonable....
    Holding Ripple still, but looking for the next one
    You may need to think a bit more smarter at this stage in such a hot market. Unless you're day trading longer term outlooks are better. Nothing is low, so start looking at tech that has strength to continue runs is my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    "Oh dear, dear. This isn't normal securities trading! Think you can assume your crypto exchange is basically competent and its systems well maintained? Think again. 'I know PHP – how hard could running an exchange be?' isn't the best starting point."

"You also can't assume a crypto exchange isn't going to mess you around. All manner of shenanigans that are completely illegal in proper security trading – bots painting the tape, wash trades, spoof orders, just front-running your customers – are completely normal in crypto. Your threat model is not just the other traders, it's literally the platform you are putting your money and coins into."

https://www.coindesk.com/2017-butt-bitcoins-joke/
    True, but what can you do?
    You could "...keep poking [it] with a stick... and show [your] love."

https://www.coindesk.com/i-love-cryp...oin-exchanges/

Well Ethereum investors should be heartened at just how resilient it is. After the huge sell off a couple of hours ago (due to idiot panicking investors not understanding the Korea exchange issue) Ethereum has rebounded massively.

Btw Korean exchanges are paying a 50% premium for ETH so if you are Korean and American you can buy ETH in the US and sell in Korea for a nice mark up. Madness!

Master
    For those that have participated in ICOs before - is it normal to have to supply your ID/be verified as part of the sign-up process??

Just curious as any tokens are not securities (as they all like to main plain!) so wondering why they need it / is it standard practice?

Cheers

For those that have participated in ICOs before - is it normal to have to supply your ID/be verified as part of the sign-up process??

Just curious as any tokens are not securities (as they all like to main plain!) so wondering why they need it / is it standard practice?

Cheers
    Where is the ICO company based? In more 'developed' countries there is much more legal work to legitimise the ICO and I can see maybe you need to verify to sign up.

Master
    Where is the ICO company based? In more 'developed' countries there is much more legal work to legitimise the ICO and I can see maybe you need to verify to sign up.
    Based in the USA, but reg office may be elsewhere (like the Caymans). Good point though.

Based in the USA, but reg office may be elsewhere (like the Caymans). Good point though.
    Ok so my understanding - Americans cannot invest in ICOs. But I think they can setup one. So maybe an identity check to make sure you're not American.

Am sure someone else can help with the discussion and I'm waiting on a few clarifications from some friends.

Journeyman
    I am currently holding;

BTC - 30%
    XRP - 30%
    ETH - 15%
    LTC - 10%
    FUN - 7.5%
    VEN - 7.5%

Percentages not perfect as VEN has had a good run over FUN (bought at the same time). If you were interested in investing in more alts, binance is a great exchange to do so. naturally they are higher risk

VEN and FUN still have a lot of potential. VEN is the only crypto to be partnered with the chinese government. FUN has a working product (crypto casino!)

A turbulent day! Who's buying the dip?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychomech View Post
    Always, happens every year for the same reason
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychomech View Post
    I have a little, but this is some dip!

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Always, happens every year for the same reason
    What's the established reason for this time of year? Have heard a few theories.

Grand Master

- - - Updated - - -

RIAC