closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 139 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Bitcoin

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scucivolo View Post
    Yesterday at 19.48.
    I know SEPAs can take up to 5 working days, but surely I should have gotten an email from Coinbase stating the transaction was pending, but I didn’t receive it, that is what concerns me..
    To make it worse is the lack of customer support Coinbase has.. its quite shocking how a company that deals with so much money would be so understaffed and under equipped.
    I wonder, what is the point in using such a platform to buy cryptos, if I’m forced to wait so long to get my funds in order to make the purchase?

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk
    No need for concern, should appear by this evening.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    I sold £16k on coinbase last week. Transaction happened instantly and GBP in my bank the next day.
    I will keep them in mind then, majority of the reviews online are terrible but due to the influx of investors there will no doubt be some delays/problems?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff W View Post
    Decided to sell all my Litecoins y'day - tidy 502% return. Kept ETH and XRP for now.
    It has dropped quite a bit in the last 48 hours!
    Unsure whether to jump ship and put the money from Litecoin in to ETH or hang one and see if it goes back up in the coming weeks?

Master
    Decided to sell all my Litecoins y'day - tidy 502% return. Kept ETH and XRP for now.
    Well done on holding XRP.

Master
    I've read every post here over the last 2 days and if anything I'm more confused than I was when I started regarding the process of trading cryptos.

Is there any 1 stop shop that allows you to create an account, deposit funds/buy cryptos then when the time comes sell and withdraw the funds to your current account?

So far I'm leaning towards the coinbase/revolut solution from page 2 but coinbase don't fill me with confidence.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    I've read every post here over the last 2 days and if anything I'm more confused than I was when I started regarding the process of trading cryptos.

Is there any 1 stop shop that allows you to create an account, deposit funds/buy cryptos then when the time comes sell and withdraw the funds to your current account?

So far I'm leaning towards the coinbase/revolut solution from page 2 but coinbase don't fill me with confidence.

I use Coinbase and Revolut. With Revolut you don't actually own the coins, but have just swapped GBP currency into coin currency.

You gain/lose as the price rises/falls as you would had you swapped into Euros USD etc

Easily swapped back into GBP and withdrawn should you wish.

Coinbase is slightly more complicated, you need to transfer them funds in euros (you can do that from Revolut) and then buy your coins on their exchange which is simple.

You can hold them there, or transfer them out to an offline wallet which is more secure.

If you wanted to sell, you would then have to transfer back into Coinbase, sell and withdraw in Euros again

The advantage to holding them on an offline hardware wallet is the increased security

All the moving about sounds complicated but it's not in reality. I bought a Trezor and it was really easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post

Coinbase is slightly more complicated, you need to transfer them funds in euros (you can do that from Revolut) and then buy your coins on their exchange which is simple.
    Don't need to transfer funds, can buy immediately with debit (or even credit?) card.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Don't need to transfer funds, can buy immediately with debit (or even credit?) card.
    To get started this is the easiest way as its quick and you don't need to wait for the funds to arrive etc. Only downsides are the fees that are charged (but actually not that bad for the convenience) and the fact that you may have to try and buy a couple of times before it goes through if its a busy period.

To get going this is the simplest route. After that you can decide if you want to transfer funds, buy other coins on a different exchange etc.

Master
    Interested to hear what other coins people are holding and/or looking to buy into outside of Bitcoin, Ethereum and Litecoin. It seems that once you've bought into the first ones, there are lots of options for others out there and I'm interested to hear what others people consider worth getting into.

Coinbase and Blockchain among others. I did it all on my phone. I’m a complete novice btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I really like the look of IOTA, in simplistic terms it's next generation technology of blockchain which they are calling The Tangle. Essentially it uses the Internet Of Things to verify transactions rather than Blockchain.

XRP (Ripple) and XMR (Monero) look interesting and I have a small, now massive after last 2 days gains) holding in the former and still a small holding in the latter. Both are rumoured to be next to be added to Coinbase so that would be a massive boost for their price.

ZCash is like Bitcoin but slightly faster and fully anonymous, feels to me like Bitcoin for criminals I'm not investing in this despite it being in Top 10 because it doesn't feel ethically right given it's complete anonymity.

Ethereum and Litecoin you can buy both on Coinbase so as new Bitcoin investors explore the crypto world those will be the first 2 they come across and msot likely to gain a level of support, but also most likely to collapse when Bitcoin collapses.

In my opinion this is gambling on a bubble popping and hence only put in what you can afford to lose and also take profits occasionally which might reduce your overall gains, but no one ever got poor by taking profits. Unrealised profits are like investing a £25 lottery win on £25 more lucky dips and 2 of those get you £50 so you reinvest and get £100, if you keep going it's unlikely your luck will hold and one of the rounds you'll lose all the gains. So overall it's cost you a single £2 starting cost, but you've never realised any of those gains.

On the flipside the stock markets on both sides of the Atlantic have had a very long bull run, one of the longest ever and we are due a large correction/crash. When it does, it's, in my opinion, likely that people will pull money from the stock market and put it straight into Cryptos as the asset class currently doing well. Then the crypto bubble will burst sometime in 2018 and money will flow back to stocks. We saw this happen in miniature a couple of weeks ago, when Bitcoin suddenly broke the $10,000 barrier and rocketed to $15,000 or so, that same day the tech market stocks plummeted after a couple of months of high gains and those 2 are the same investor pool i.e. early crypto investors are most likely silicon valley and tech savvy people.

Craftsman
    What platform are you using to get access to XRP, Monero, etc. I have dipped in using etoro but want to shift to proper holdings using hardware wallet.

Sent from my SM-G955F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    I really like the look of IOTA, in simplistic terms it's next generation technology of blockchain which they are calling The Tangle. Essentially it uses the Internet Of Things to verify transactions rather than Blockchain.

XRP (Ripple) and XMR (Monero) look interesting and I have a small, now massive after last 2 days gains) holding in the former and still a small holding in the latter. Both are rumoured to be next to be added to Coinbase so that would be a massive boost for their price.

ZCash is like Bitcoin but slightly faster and fully anonymous, feels to me like Bitcoin for criminals I'm not investing in this despite it being in Top 10 because it doesn't feel ethically right given it's complete anonymity.

Ethereum and Litecoin you can buy both on Coinbase so as new Bitcoin investors explore the crypto world those will be the first 2 they come across and msot likely to gain a level of support, but also most likely to collapse when Bitcoin collapses.

In my opinion this is gambling on a bubble popping and hence only put in what you can afford to lose and also take profits occasionally which might reduce your overall gains, but no one ever got poor by taking profits. Unrealised profits are like investing a £25 lottery win on £25 more lucky dips and 2 of those get you £50 so you reinvest and get £100, if you keep going it's unlikely your luck will hold and one of the rounds you'll lose all the gains. So overall it's cost you a single £2 starting cost, but you've never realised any of those gains.

On the flipside the stock markets on both sides of the Atlantic have had a very long bull run, one of the longest ever and we are due a large correction/crash. When it does, it's, in my opinion, likely that people will pull money from the stock market and put it straight into Cryptos as the asset class currently doing well. Then the crypto bubble will burst sometime in 2018 and money will flow back to stocks. We saw this happen in miniature a couple of weeks ago, when Bitcoin suddenly broke the $10,000 barrier and rocketed to $15,000 or so, that same day the tech market stocks plummeted after a couple of months of high gains and those 2 are the same investor pool i.e. early crypto investors are most likely silicon valley and tech savvy people.
    Yes, I like what IOTA talks about and the market they are trying to serve will surely be massive. Bit late for the massive rise that took place recently, but probably a good bet for longer-term. Be good to build a portfolio that has some diversification in it and hopefully some upside over the longer term. Be interesting to see what (if anything) Coinbase adds to their list of available coins.

XRP is the one. Ripple are making some major infrastructure inroads. I was at their Swell event in Toronto a few months ago and they have a lot in the works that should boost XRP still further (depending on when you bought in).

Master
    XRP is the one. Ripple are making some major infrastructure inroads. I was at their Swell event in Toronto a few months ago and they have a lot in the works that should boost XRP still further (depending on when you bought in).
    Still mileage based on recent prices?? Or if you bought in a while back when it was more like 35/40 cents?

I bought maybe 5 months ago at 27. I'd have to find out as it was on Kraken, the other are / were on Coinbase. I think it still has mileage and more importantly, longevity based on the the Ripple business model and what I saw it was developing for infrastructure and collabs with telco firms, tie-ins with retailers etc.

Bitcoin

Question for all.

It seems pretty clear that most of us are looking at other coins rather than sticking with Bitcoin..
    Now.. I was looking at a video on YouTube which explain (if I understand correctly), that we shouldn’t be looking at USD levels to any given coin (i.e USD/ETH) but rather at Satochi levels.. which is basically comparing any given coin to bitcoin value..

The question is: how do you go about, what is your thought process when it come to invest in altcoin?

Here is the link to the video:

https://youtu.be/FkKYuoRg6jM

Master
    I bought maybe 5 months ago at 27. I'd have to find out as it was on Kraken, the other are / were on Coinbase. I think it still has mileage and more importantly, longevity based on the the Ripple business model and what I saw it was developing for infrastructure and collabs with telco firms, tie-ins with retailers etc.
    thanks. Good to know.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    What platform are you using to get access to XRP, Monero, etc. I have dipped in using etoro but want to shift to proper holdings using hardware wallet.

Bitfinex

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Still mileage based on recent prices?? Or if you bought in a while back when it was more like 35/40 cents?
    By a while back you mean Sunday at 8pm when it was just 21 cents, and was 90 cents by yesterday evening! Hovering around 80 cents all day today so far.

Master
    By a while back you mean Sunday at 8pm when it was just 21 cents, and was 90 cents by yesterday evening! Hovering around 80 cents all day today so far.
    Yes exactly! I was waiting for my funds to transfer in so I missed the 21cents completely!

Hope there is still a runway for XRP...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scucivolo View Post
    Question for all.

It seems pretty clear that most of us are looking at other coins rather than sticking with Bitcoin..
    Now.. I was looking at a video on YouTube which explain (if I understand correctly), that we shouldn’t be looking at USD levels to any given coin (i.e USD/ETH) but rather at Satochi levels.. which is basically comparing any given coin to bitcoin value..

The question is: how do you go about, what is your thought process when it come to invest in altcoin?

Here is the link to the video:

https://youtu.be/FkKYuoRg6jM

The sensible advice that I've read/looked at seems to centre on the fundamentals of any investment - do some research and understand the technology, the team, the market etc as far as you can as opposed to just chasing the next thing that is running away. It can be hard to do when you have to wait for a few days to get your funds into place sometimes.

This site is quite useful - https://coinmarketcap.com - from here you can get all kinds of info on each of the major (and minor) coins, charts etc.

Having said all that, Bitcoin still seems to be where the action is at. The altcoins allow some diversification and might be good for longer term bets. Still early days on this for me and I'm the wiser heads on here will have a good perspective.

Bitcoin's getting all the glory but surely at this stage it might be worth looking at some of the others...Does anyone here have any suggestions/hunches for any currencies (excluding Bitcoin) have still have some growth left in them?

Edit: Thanks for the coinmarketcap link above - that was very useful to help in my question..
    Last edited by vulcangascompany; 15th December 2017 at 17:59.

Craftsman
    Bitfinex
    Starting to work out the chain. Do I buy on coinbase then transfer to Binance (had already signed up there rather than Bitfinex) then when on Binance do I swap to the new currency I desire?

The pronlem is I bought Ethereum on coinbase so whilst I managed the transfer it does not look like if cab easily swap. This is a learning curve.

Master
    Starting to work out the chain. Do I buy on coinbase then transfer to Binance (had already signed up there rather than Bitfinex) then when on Binance do I swap to the new currency I desire?

The pronlem is I bought Ethereum on coinbase so whilst I managed the transfer it does not look like if cab easily swap. This is a learning curve.

I don't know what Binance accept but I would presume at least BTC, ETH and LTC. So buy one of the 3 on Coinbase then just send to your Binance Account/Wallet as BTC etc no need o convert to Dollars/Euros/GBP.

Craftsman
    I don't know what Binance accept but I would presume at least BTC, ETH and LTC. So buy one of the 3 on Coinbase then just send to your Binance Account/Wallet as BTC etc no need o convert to Dollars/Euros/GBP.
    Yes found the option to trade the Etherium into other currencies.

Right, next step is to get Cryptokitties going and get my kids trading/playing that.

Thanks for the help.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    Bitcoin's getting all the glory but surely at this stage it might be worth looking at some of the others...Does anyone here have any suggestions/hunches for any currencies (excluding Bitcoin) have still have some growth left in them?

Edit: Thanks for the coinmarketcap link above - that was very useful to help in my question..

I posted the below on 7th December, since then I've made some nice profit on all and amazing % gains just in the days since posting!

I always think that BTC has topped out, but it consistently gives me the biggest profit. I try to balance my holdings but should have just stuck more into BTC [with the exception of ETH]. But for me ETH is the big one, it has outgained BTC this year and is still so cheap in comparison. I'm going to be sticking a lot more into in the coming year.

But for anyone telling you a sure fire thing, it is not that easy!

edit: I've just checked my XRP holdings, no idea what happened in the last day or two for the jump!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge_r View Post

I just put a lump sum in and split it between BTC, ETH and LTC and have done a few small top-ups since then. I've started putting really small regular amounts [£50 or so] into some of the smaller currencies and will gradually build them up if and when they become more viable. OMG, XRP and IOTA are part of that for me.

I'm firmly in the holding stage at the moment, it is still difficult and clunky to buy cryptocurrencies, not to mention stupid limits and verification stages - so it doesn't have an easy entry point. When it does, I can see the market growing even more...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge_r View Post
    I posted the below on 7th December, since then I've made some nice profit on all and amazing % gains just in the days since posting!

I always think that BTC has topped out, but it consistently gives me the biggest profit. I try to balance my holdings but should have just stuck more into BTC [with the exception of ETH]. But for me ETH is the big one, it has outgained BTC this year and is still so cheap in comparison. I'm going to be sticking a lot more into in the coming year.

But for anyone telling you a sure fire thing, it is not that easy!

edit: I've just checked my XRP holdings, no idea what happened in the last day or two for the jump!!!
    Nice work!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    Coinbase and Blockchain among others. I did it all on my phone. I’m a complete novice btw.

Thanks for this and to all those that replied to my comment.

I'm now up and running with coinbase, just bought very small amounts as I had a very bad experience with AIM stocks several years back. I have installed and signed up to revolut as I'm still unsure how the selling process works. Buying in was almost too easy after linking my current account card..

I've also been trying to set up gatehub but it appears to be having issues.

Some great information on this thread.

I’ve recently started buying for the long term. I keep think that bitcoin has hit its limit and as I type it’s nearly $20,000!

But I’ve also diversified and bought lite coin, ethereum and ripple (xrp)

It’s not that easy though and does take a fair bit of research.

Anyone using a hardware wallet? I’ve just bought a ledger nano. One of these big exchanges is going to get hacked again soon so don’t want to lose any money.

Craftsman

Or you can try this! Hargreaves Lansdown for the non-techy bitcoin investor.

I have been following bitcoin for a couple of years but never invested.

I finally set up a Coinbase wallet last month but have not been brave enough to take the plunge yet.

I did some research on bitcoin trackers and found that HL now have a couple of funds: Bitcoin Tracker One (COINXBT SS) and Bitcoin Tracker Euro (COINXBE SS). These are Exchange Traded Notes (certificates) designed to mirror the return of the underlying asset, bitcoin, denominated in Swedish Kronor and Euro respectively. You can chose either the euro or kroner denominated certificate and it’s value changes by tracking the price of bitcoins but also the exchange rate between USD, the nominated currency certificate and the GBP.

I bought two certificates in mid November when their price was about £250 each. Today the certificates are valued at £648 each: about 150% up.

I sold one certificate when it was valued at £600 using the HL Vantage platform which made it very easy to get the funds. They were available to invest through HL the same day and were in my account as cash within a couple of days. You can’t hold the funds in your ISA for pretty obvious reasons but no problems holding them in the fund and share account. The remaining certificate value is therefore all surplus which makes it a stress free “punt” The bubble could burst or not: who knows? It is nice to have a small amount of “skin in the game” though.

ETN certificates are only as secure as the company which issue them but, with the imprimatur of HL, it feels like a less risky and technical way to join the party!
    Last edited by davestrong; 17th December 2017 at 12:48. Reason: Spelling and grammar!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davestrong View Post
    I have been following bitcoin for a couple of years but never invested.

I finally set up a Coinbase wallet last month but have not been brave enough to take the plunge yet.

I did some research on bitcoin trackers and found that HL now have a couple of funds: Bitcoin Tracker One (COINXBT SS) and Bitcoin Tracker Euro (COINXBE SS). These are Exchange Traded Notes (certificates) designed to mirror the return of the underlying asset, bitcoin, denominated in Swedish Kronor and Euro respectively. You can chose either the euro or kroner denominated certificate and it’s value changes by tracking the price of bitcoins but also the exchange rate between USD, the nominated currency certificate and the GBP.

I bought two certificates in mid November when their price was about £250 each. Today the certificates are valued at £648 each: about 150% up.

I sold one certificate when it was valued at £600 using the HL Vantage platform which made it very easy to get the funds. They were available to invest through HL the same day and were in my account as cash within a couple of days. You can’t hold the funds in your ISA for pretty obvious reasons but no problems holding them in the fund and share account. The remaining certificate value is therefore all surplus which makes it a stress free “punt” The bubble could burst or not: who knows? It is nice to have a small amount of “skin in the game” though.

ETN certificates are only as secure as the company which issue them but, with the imprimatur of HL, it feels like a less risky and technical way to join the party!
    That's interesting. Could be a good way to get some exposure to the market in a different way. Definitely cuts down on the laborious nature of getting funds into coin exchanges.

Craftsman
    Can anyone send me a link or some tips on how to transfer ETH from a MetaMask account back over to Coinbase?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GC2012 View Post
    Can anyone send me a link or some tips on how to transfer ETH from a MetaMask account back over to Coinbase?
    In Coinbase, go to Accounts and click Recieve on the ETH wallet, then click ShowAddress. Copy the address and use that in the Send functionality in Metamask.

Craftsman
    In Coinbase, go to Accounts and click Recieve on the ETH wallet, then click ShowAddress. Copy the address and use that in the Send functionality in Metamask.

Thanks!
    Just sent that across so will keep an eye on Coin base and see when it lands.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GC2012 View Post
    Thanks!
    Just sent that across so will keep an eye on Coin base and see when it lands.
    No problem. Good practice to also send a small amount first to check the flow is correct before sending any large amounts.

Master
    No problem. Good practice to also send a small amount first to check the flow is correct before sending any large amounts.
    You should also be able to see how many confirmations the transfer has received whilst it is pending. Actually not sure you can see that n Coinbase, but worth checking.

Second the point about sending a small amount first to check it all works as expected.

Banned
    Is there a suitable alternative to Bittrex? Primarily wanting to look into the smaller coins.

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ibby7 View Post
    Is there a suitable alternative to Bittrex? Primarily wanting to look into the smaller coins.

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Binance seems to have a quite a few. Got some IOTA today.

Binance seems to have a quite a few. Got some IOTA today.
    Second Binance. Easy signup and you don’t need verification unless you have lots of BTC.

That’s where I bought XRP from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I'm not going to ask when, but IF people think BTC in particular will have a sudden drop?

The rise over the last weeks and months has been insane (yes, nothing compared to 2013) but whenever I've seen anything like this on regular shares its usually turned out to be an opportunity for the vultures to rob all the private investors.

As for many of the other cryptos such as ETH LTC IOTA XRP. Are they false spikes due to what's been going on with BTC?

As a cautious newbie (got badly burned before) I'm curious to know what you guys who have been following/playing the crypto market for a while think.

Master
    ^^ I've seen a few comments about a correction in January. Who knows though.

I think the recent rises have been more due to the futures trading being added, and the majority of trading has backed BTC.

Rumours of futures on LTC sent it skyward.

Correction or not, I'm not selling anything. If there is a correction of over 25% in either BTC, ETH or LTC, I'll buy more.

(Only risk what you can afford to lose etc etc)

((I'm no expert BTW, just got in a few weeks back, up 20% so far))
    Last edited by demonloop; 18th December 2017 at 09:26.

I'm not going to ask when, but IF people think BTC in particular will have a sudden drop?

The rise over the last weeks and months has been insane (yes, nothing compared to 2013) but whenever I've seen anything like this on regular shares its usually turned out to be an opportunity for the vultures to rob all the private investors.

As for many of the other cryptos such as ETH LTC IOTA XRP. Are they false spikes due to what's been going on with BTC?

As a cautious newbie (got badly burned before) I'm curious to know what you guys who have been following/playing the crypto market for a while think.

HEWJARDON is best placed to answer

But

Every time I think it’s peaked and about to slide it seems to do the opposite

I think BTC and ETH are seeing new investors piling in in last weeks due to ‘acceptance’ and mainstream media noise which is pushing them higher daily.

At some stage BCH Bitcoin Cash could potentially overtake Bitcoin as it’s true to the original concept and faster and cheaper to transact but time will tell. “The switchover”?

If your worried about a big drop maybe consider leaving your profit in and taking your stake out or vice versa ?

Definitely expecting a big drop, but when who knows? My gut says Feb/March but I have no evidence at all. I expect it will be triggered by the unraveling of the Bitfinex/Tether situation - I see they are already claiming withdrawals are slow due to "demand".

Almost all of the other coins rising are due to the rise in BTC since most everything is priced in BTC. Switch coinmarketcap to use BTC as the base currency and you suddenly see a different picture.

I also see a long term recovery after the drop.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Definitely expecting a ... drop . I also see a long term recovery after the drop.
    yes and yes. I'm in it for the long haul.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post

Anyone using a hardware wallet? I’ve just bought a ledger nano. One of these big exchanges is going to get hacked again soon so don’t want to lose any money.

I went for Trezor, same principle. I wouldn’t be comfortable leaving anything on the exchanges either.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I went for Trezor, same principle. I wouldn’t be comfortable leaving anything on the exchanges either.
    For those that have made the transfer from an exchange to a wallet - how much did the transfer cost?

Master
    Blog Entries
    About £10.

I am cautious on alt coins at the moment. A lot of them have small market caps which leaves them open to manipulation.

I also expect alts to take a fall in the next week and BTC to rise. It's a trend I've noticed a few times over the last 6 months.
    Last edited by JPCain86; 18th December 2017 at 23:36.

Craftsman

Sudden drop for bitcoin usually equals accelerated post-recovery growth.
    ATM, demand far exceeds supply and there is nothing to indicate this will change in the near future. The price will continue to climb through next year.
    Watch for impact of the 1st months futures contract trading next month. If the futures prove over priced against the market, it might force a correction. Might.

We are trying very hard to short bitcoin, over the weekend we even took historic trading data and included a 'xmas factor'.
    Nothing to suggest it is worth divesting from btc in the foreseeble future.

Many cryptos necessarily follow btc, as that is all they are paired with for trading purposes. Those with higher market caps, multiple trading pairs etc will have more value independence.

Try and create a broad portfolio, look at what works for other people, then copy it and buy enough of the 'cheap ones' so that you can actually 'use' them. I use IOTA and XRP as a payment method for friends- splitting meals, joint birthday presents etc. Usually they are only too happy to get funds in crypto.
    People get it real quick when they have their own wallet, in funds, whatever the coin......

What's clear to me, is that BTC is becoming less of a currency. Transactions can be slow and expensive, and price volatile. £10 today is £15 next week, it does not make sense to spend it, yet it continues to accrue value. There are other cryptos far better suited to daily, currency type use. Don't see BTC as a currency, or pretender to the name, see it as digital gold.

When a currency is underpinned by company stock, or the balance of domestic imports/exports etc there is a point of potential fatality- company liquidates and stock holdings are valueless, governments crash economies and inflation nukes your savings etc
    BTC avoids such congenital flaws as its value is not pinned to anything, except its intrinsic worth. As long a group of people exists that see value in BTC, it will continue to be worth something.
    Make no mistake, BTC is where it is today through grass roots support. Now, that support and user base is growing exponetially, a tipping point if you like.
    Like Brexit and Trump, this is discontent manifest on a grand scale. Except unlike Brexit and Trump, its global. Millennials (primarily) and the rest of us, have the option to give the 'economic' figure to banks and governments. And it is being seized.

That said, second mortgaging your home to buy crypto is nuts. But then so is the likely 6 month ROI. Keep an eye on any 'loan to purchase' data. If this market increases significantly (why wouldnt it?) there are obvious crash/correction triggers; borrowers can no longer service purchase loans etc (Minsky effect? I don't recall), slow/reverse growth etc.

I will be placing some watches and other bits on SC next week. BTC, BCH, IOT, ETH, XRP, LTC or XMR only. Lets see if there are any takers....

Son to Bitcoin investor dad: Daddy, I want a Bitcoin for Christmas.

Bitcoin investor dad to son: £14,212!?!? £13,986 is a lot of money, what do you want £16,007 for anyway??

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I know that most people will get this but I will post anyway as a lot of my friends don't.

Don't pay much attention to the coin value! Look at the market cap. I had a conversation with friend who was saying " Ye but if ethereum goes to the same price as BTC I will have 14 x my money"

I had to explain that Ethereum was at 25% of BTC value and £2400 each equals BTC.

Same goes for Ripple. It serious won't go above £5 a coin as there are £38bn of them.
    Last edited by JPCain86; 18th December 2017 at 23:48.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    I know that most people will get this but I will post anyway as a lot of my friends don't.

Don't pay much attention to the coin value! Look at the market cap. I had a conversation with friend who was saying " Ye but if ethereum goes to the same price as BTC I will have 14 x my money"

I had to explain that Ethereum was at 25% of BTC value and £2400 each equals BTC.

Same goes for Ripple. It serious won't go above £5 a coin as there are £38bn of them.
    I agree, I'm trying to spread my risk by buying coins across the top 10, maybe 20, by market cap and then holding.

Also trying to spread money across platforms and wallets. So far eToro, Binance and Bitfinex. Will switch some of the major coins across to GDAX (sister to Coinbase) because Coinbase is too expensive (£30 purchase fee and then £15 transfer fee when buying £1k last night).
    Last edited by ViperStripes; 19th December 2017 at 00:14.