closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 35 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,750 of 6913

Thread: Bitcoin

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Did you click through to Joseph's summary cv by any chance?
    LOL, I hadn't. Thanks for the hint.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I didn't think you were holding bitcoin, what made you think I was?

You wrote that it was a good move based on what has happened and is expected to happen - I was wondering if you wanted to share what is expected to happen?
    What made me think it was, you quoting me and writing "so before you celebrate that I would wait for tomorrow".

Speaking of which, 'tomorrow' is here, and it's 10% up today, and 19% up in a week (providing if I am looking at accurate sites).

But still no idea why! Unless it's pure speculation. Maybe it will dump with similar ease.

Whatever
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    (any know why? pure speculation or...?)
    And another potential explanation, perhaps somewhat closer to Raffe's conjecture.

Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    Not enough to buy a Lambo.

£2k back in March, but I'm balls deep in Chainlink

• Are you having difficulty entertaining the kids at home?
    • Would you like them to get a jump start on cryptocurrency?
    • Why not surprise them with the SHAmory Bitcoin card game?

Available for purchase mail order. (With fiat currency.)

Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    Removed inappropriate GIF
    It's the G&D man.

Jeez.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefer View Post
    BTC up around 25% this year - well timed entries can yield epic returns, just super risky compared to other asset classes.

Anyone else "investing" or "trading" Crypto at the moment?
    I tried both trading and investing into cryptocurrency, mostly these are Bitcoin, Cardano, and Ethereum. These coins are the most trusted in terms of their community power and innovations they offer. But BTC is #1, no doubt. Here is a very good article about BTC, its nature, price predictions, strategies of trading etc. https://primexbt.com/blog/what-is-bitcoin-trading/. Strongly recommend that you read it
    Last edited by Owren; 30th September 2020 at 17:11. Reason: spelling correction

Bitcoin thread forum favourite John McAfee (along with his minder) has been arrested in Spain, having gone to “check the progress of the Mud Wrestling Arena I’m building”, and faces extradition for an ever growing charge sheet of SEC violations and tax evasion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54431726

I can envisage a possible future scenario whereby he receives a presidential pardon and becomes a Senior Financial Policy Advisor.*

In other news the UK FCA are formally "banning the sale, marketing and distribution [of crypto-derivatives] to all retail consumers" as of the 6th January next year.

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/press-re...tail-consumers

*Both he and Trump share a background in anti-virus interests and activities, of course.

Master
    Doesn’t this just demonstrate that Bitcoin is a bit useless as payment method given you would be paying for goods and services via a more traditional system?

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Doesn’t this just demonstrate that Bitcoin is a bit useless as payment method given you would be paying for goods and services via a more traditional system?
    Logic has no place in the worlds of crypto.

Master

Bitcoin trading platform

Apologies if this has already been covered, but I wondered what experience existing traders had of the various trading platforms - ease of use etc?

I opened a Coinbase account ages ago, but hadn't got around to trading on it.

I logged on today with the intention of dipping my toe into the world of digital currency, but having done a little more research this morning, reviews for Coinbase aren't very encouraging, especially with regard to lack of technical support, so I've held off for now and wondered if there were any recommendations for other platforms.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Apologies if this has already been covered, but I wondered what experience existing traders had of the various trading platforms - ease of use etc?

I opened a Coinbase account ages ago, but hadn't got around to trading on it.

I logged on today with the intention of dipping my toe into the world of digital currency, but having done a little more research this morning, reviews for Coinbase aren't very encouraging, especially with regard to lack of technical support, so I've held off for now and wondered if there were any recommendations for other platforms.
    I’ve never had any issues with coinbase used a few over the years but I’ve found coinbase the easiest

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    I’ve never had any issues with coinbase used a few over the years but I’ve found coinbase the easiest
    That’s good to know thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    That’s good to know thanks
    Once you have bought crypto you can then of course move it off the merchant platform (coinbase) into your own secure wallet for long term storage.

This obviously protects you against any future merchant issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All time high's being talked about...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bitco...040547259.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billyba...buy-heres-why/

...but less media frenzy this time around.

Grand Master
    By the time you realise its rocketted its always too late. What follows now if a flurry of investors to bump it at strong levels then the big boys selling out large blocks at max.

Price crumbles and the whole thing atarts again. Genius
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    By the time you realise its rocketted its always too late. What follows now if a flurry of investors to bump it at strong levels then the big boys selling out large blocks at max.

It's interesting this move - more institutions and larger funds are getting involved, rather than the retail crowd last time. Theres also been alot less press coverage and FOMO crys.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post

What do you reckon the high will be before we see people start to sell in volume!? Higher than last time round? Much higher than last time round?

Who said it?

It’s the subject everyone’s talking about — no they really are! From the poorest to the richest in the land, one of the conversations that’s going on is about cryptocurrency. The reason is all too obvious: it's that government's are, through this pandemic, creating vast amounts of funny money, debasing currencies, and people are scared about what this means for their money, their investments . . . 

I must admit I've been a bit lazy on it, but I thought: ‘well I’ve got to really educate myself’, so I got hold of a copy of this Crypto Revolution, published by Southbank, and I read it and I read it, and I've been studying and talking about crypto a lot more in the last few months . . . I can't sit here and tell you that I'm an expert. There is a lot to learn but is it important. Actually, I think it could be crucially important that you get your minds around crypto, and what it means. Already fortunes have been made and lost on this!

I’m beginning to understand that in terms of our future, this stuff is really important.

Who said it?

It’s the subject everyone’s talking about — no they really are! From the poorest to the richest in the land, one of the conversations that’s going on is about cryptocurrency. The reason is all too obvious: it's that government's are, through this pandemic, creating vast amounts of funny money, debasing currencies, and people are scared about what this means for their money, their investments . . . 

I must admit I've been a bit lazy on it, but I thought: ‘well I’ve got to really educate myself’, so I got hold of a copy of this Crypto Revolution, published by Southbank, and I read it and I read it, and I've been studying and talking about crypto a lot more in the last few months . . . I can't sit here and tell you that I'm an expert. There is a lot to learn but is it important. Actually, I think it could be crucially important that you get your minds around crypto, and what it means. Already fortunes have been made and lost on this!

I’m beginning to understand that in terms of our future, this stuff is really important.

Good 'ol Nige I believe. The people's champion.

Who said it?

So a month or so ago and only on the advice of a friend I stuck a few quid into 'ripple'.

Three weeks later it had doubled in value so I drew my original investment out and now only the 'profit' is sitting in there, so in my mind, whatever happens I'm now 'risk free'.

But I've gotta be honest, I have no idea whatsoever how bitcoin, crypto or even ripple works so please could someone steer me towards literally an 'idiots guide'?

I did try and source a copy of the above but the only link I could find is expired.

Thanks in advance....

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    So a month or so ago and only on the advice of a friend I stuck a few quid into 'ripple'.

Three weeks later it had doubled in value so I drew my original investment out and now only the 'profit' is sitting in there, so in my mind, whatever happens I'm now 'risk free'.

But I've gotta be honest, I have no idea whatsoever how bitcoin, crypto or even ripple works so please could someone steer me towards literally an 'idiots guide'?

I did try and source a copy of the above but the only link I could find is expired.

Thanks in advance....
    Oh, please don't. It's a book shilling the ideology behind crypto.

I suppose what you need is a simple-language explainer of the technical backgrount of blockchain?

Click here.

Thanks in advance....
    It's comments like this that make me think that the autumn bubble of 2017 could happen all over again with crypto.

Oh, please don't. It's a book shilling the ideology behind crypto.

I suppose what you need is a simple-language explainer of the technical backgrount of blockchain?

Click here.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    It's comments like this that make me think that the autumn bubble of 2017 could happen all over again with crypto.

Is that a good or a bad thing?

As I said I'm an absolute novice so that went about thirty miles over my head.....

As I said I'm an absolute novice so that went about thirty miles over my head.....
    I'm not being critical of you, just observing. From your situation having just bought some, probably a good thing!

The bubble in 2017 was caused by a massive amount of people buying into something they knew nothing about. The crash in the following new year was pretty rapid and spectacular. I'd kind of assumed it wouldn't happen again because enough were burnt on hugely inflated promises by crypto-startups. If there are enough people out there without that prior experience looking to make easy money, particularly when the 'real-world' economic situation is so bad, I can see another crypto-bubble happening.

Master

Is your ripple currently just sitting on an exchange? If so, you can buy a hardware wallet and transfer it there. Bit safer, should something happen with the exchange but if it’s only a small amount the hardware wallet could cost more than it’s worth.

Master
    Retail “investment” / “speculation” is much lighter this time. Institutional money has entered the foray. But it will certainly go down as well as up. My bet is up, long term

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Retail “investment” / “speculation” is much lighter this time. Institutional money has entered the foray. But it will certainly go down as well as up. My bet is up, long term
    Considering BTC is now bacl to ATH levels, put money in now, hold off, or go with an alt like ETH?

Master
    Considering BTC is now bacl to ATH levels, put money in now, hold off, or go with an alt like ETH?
    I’d consider ETH and XRP reasonably mainstream too now, beyond the term “alts” but I think there’s legs in Bitcoin if 20k is passed a few times.

There will be a sell off at 20k as those caught in the bubble exit the stage, but if it gets back over it again I think it can kick on.

The thing that puts me off is that we are 3-years down the line from some fantastic promises by each coin company...XRP was meant to revolutionise the global payments system and at one stage boasted of links with Amex etc. ETH was touted as being of the verge of world domination for contracts. Yet here we are 3-years later and nothing, just more speculative investment in something that does nothing more than have a rising and falling value that we can all bet on against each other.

The thing that puts me off is that we are 3-years down the line from some fantastic promises by each coin company...XRP was meant to revolutionise the global payments system and at one stage boasted of links with Amex etc. ETH was touted as being of the verge of world domination for contracts. Yet here we are 3-years later and nothing, just more speculative investment in something that does nothing more than have a rising and falling value that we can all bet on against each other.
    I think thats an argument that in many ways you could level at Bitcoin. We're not sure where these technologies will go in the next 10 years but the lockdown and drive away from cash has convinced me that these areas are 'a' future. Abit like the internet in the mid-late 1990s could we have predicted the future of online shopping, a more paperless world, payments systems & online banking, social media etc - no - same with Crypto. It may be a dead end - remember virtual reality!! but i'm not willing to bet against it just yet......

I'm not being critical of you, just observing. From your situation having just bought some, probably a good thing!

The bubble in 2017 was caused by a massive amount of people buying into something they knew nothing about. The crash in the following new year was pretty rapid and spectacular. I'd kind of assumed it wouldn't happen again because enough were burnt on hugely inflated promises by crypto-startups. If there are enough people out there without that prior experience looking to make easy money, particularly when the 'real-world' economic situation is so bad, I can see another crypto-bubble happening.

Oh I seeee...... (I think!!)

Is your ripple currently just sitting on an exchange? If so, you can buy a hardware wallet and transfer it there. Bit safer, should something happen with the exchange but if it’s only a small amount the hardware wallet could cost more than it’s worth.

I only bought £1,000 worth through my Revolut card, sitting on the loo one day I saw that it was worth £2,000 so drew the original £1,000-worth back to my Revolut card and left the £1,000-worth of "profit" in the Revolut crypto-bank-thing (?!?!?) just to see where it goes.....

Sorry if that's badly explained!!

- - - Updated - - -

I only bought £1,000 worth through my Revolut card, sitting on the loo one day I saw that it was worth £2,000 so drew the original £1,000-worth back to my Revolut card and left the £1,000-worth of "profit" in the Revolut crypto-bank-thing (?!?!?) just to see where it goes.....

- - - Updated - - -

I bought £1000 worth a few years ago and watched as it dropped below £200. It’s currently sitting at around £700 do I’m cautiously optimistic that i may see a return at some point in the near future.

I’m not holding my breath though!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I bought £1000 worth a few years ago and watched as it dropped below £200. It’s currently sitting at around £700 do I’m cautiously optimistic that i may see a return at some point in the near future.

I’m not holding my breath though!
    Clearly I was lucky and just happened to be on the loo at the right time!!

Master
    Clearly I was lucky and just happened to be on the loo at the right time!!
    On £1000 it’s probably ok where it is (you technically don’t control the coins but that’s not particularly relevant in this case)

If you were planning on throwing a few quid into Bitcoin a Trezor wallet can be bought pretty cheaply. Buy on Coinbase and transfer out to the wallet.

And then wait....

On £1000 it’s probably ok where it is (you technically don’t control the coins but that’s not particularly relevant in this case)

If you were planning on throwing a few quid into Bitcoin a Trezor wallet can be bought pretty cheaply. Buy on Coinbase and transfer out to the wallet.

And then wait....
    Cool, thanks again....

Any of you guys heard of Pi ? A few of us in work have downloaded it. Interested in the opinion of those who know about these things!

Website is here minepi.com and the concept is that mobile devices, with trust between circles of people who know eachother, do the mining. Only 1 device per person, so as far as I can see, no opportunity for server farms to take over!

Had it running a few weeks and I've nearly 300Pi earned which is worth absolutely nothing, but it's an interesting one to me..

Can post or PM a referral ID if anyone wants to try it. There's almost 10m users using it now.

So... Load of rubbish?

Craftsman
    The problem I’ve heard with similar approaches is how you prevent someone from recreating the recent or even entire chain in their favour and then spinning up loads of nodes to accept their version of the truth. Not feasible with Bitcoin due to the amount of computation power required to do that, but if you can mine this on a mobile phone then that doesn’t apply. Not read much about it though so may have some novel solution. If you’ve not given them any money then it’s not a scam so better than 95% of things with “blockchain” in :)

Just flogged all my Bitcoin, so expect it to bust through $20k in the near future. Took 24hrs to transfer it back into the exchange and that was paying quite high fee too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post

Just flogged all my Bitcoin, so expect it to bust through $20k in the near future. Took 24hrs to transfer it back into the exchange and that was paying quite high fee too.
    Took 24 hours to transfer from where to which exchange? Usually takes my 20-30 mins from Trezor wallet to Binance/Coinbase

- - - Updated - - -

Just a note too, anyone thinking of selling small amounts of Bitcoin, PM me!

Craftsman
    From wallet to coinbase, the mempool was full up so took a while. Ended up rebroadcasting at higher rate. Because of the per-byte billing my test small transaction ended up costing £6 and the main one was just £2 (probably smaller tx as it was just emptying the wallet so no utxo to send).

Could have upped the fee more to get it quicker but thought it might keep rising.

Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    Because of the per-byte billing my test small transaction ended up costing £6 and the main one was just £2...
    These people (Bitfinex) would seem to have got a slightly better deal.

https://www.blockchain.com/btc/tx/b3...c3703f94a4b692

A quick look on coindesk shows the price prevailing at the time was just short of $7k. I'll leave you to do the math as they say over there.

Craftsman
    Fees vary depending on how busy the network is, it’s not constant and doesn’t matter who is doing the transaction. I sent mine around 1st December, you can see how the mempool was on this: https://jochen-hoenicke.de/queue/#0,1w. Miners pick the transactions that pay the most fees to include in their next block, so you need to set fees at the top of the mempool as those will be processed next

I ended up at 70sat/B, was just when that graph was touching into the red so to get onto the next few blocks would have been 140+. 10sat/B as that bitfinex tx paid wouldn’t have gone through until 3rd December, few more days and they could have got it for 3sat/B.
    Last edited by wombleh; 7th December 2020 at 23:17. Reason: Mining

A "software network that is capable of storing and channeling monetary energy", you say? Be sure and put me down for some of that.

I'd be interested to know how the regulatory authorities over there feel about this.

I'm waiting until BTC is $100k before piling in. I'll then strategically wait to sell at $5k.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    New high - $20,800
    And now $21,000 has gone - $21,320 as I type ...