closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 33 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,650 of 6913

Thread: Bitcoin

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Anyone a bet about the value in one year's time?
    Oh dear. What is it they say about those who don’t learn from history?
    Am considering taking you up on this, again, but for something more meaningful this time, like a grand. Let me know if you have the stomach for it.

I haven’t been on this thread (hello friends) for a long time, but for what another stranger on the Internet words are worth....

BTC to push to 20k before hitting major resistance. Big drop, but will hold at an increased low of around 6-7k until the next big rise. One or two more cycles like this and we start hitting 6 figure prices. But what do I know......?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by scucivolo View Post
    Has anybody yet purchased anything using bitcoin?

Coinbase has release its new service/app, CoinbaseCard, for which I’ve applied and I’ve now received the physical card.

Bought a pack of cigarettes yesterday for £8 using 0.0012 BTC

I wonder, was it worthy?

Or is going to be the case of, the guy that bought 2 pizzas using BTC, and those 2 pizzas costed him a fortune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Off the top of my head, I've purchased directly using bitcoin..
    A 1080ti, an oculus rift, 8tb HDD, a couple of mesh routers.
    And many years ago I purchased some flavoured polish vodka which by today's prices would be very expensive lol
    There may be more, but I forget.

I hope the price keeps climbing, I've got my eye on a nice watch :)
    Last edited by Pyr0; 22nd June 2019 at 21:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Hewjardon View Post
    Oh dear. What is it they say about those who don’t learn from history?
    Am considering taking you up on this, again, but for something more meaningful this time, like a grand. Let me know if you have the stomach for it.

I haven’t been on this thread (hello friends) for a long time, but for what another stranger on the Internet words are worth....

BTC to push to 20k before hitting major resistance. Big drop, but will hold at an increased low of around 6-7k until the next big rise. One or two more cycles like this and we start hitting 6 figure prices. But what do I know......?
    Deal.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    If you did, when you posted this (Nov 2018), I suspect you'll be about 150% up!! Still watching from the sidelines here.
    Was mildly satisfying watching it gain 50-60%. Putting another £4K in and seeing that now worth £10k means I may have a click out with £6k for a treat or as I’ve lost nothing just let the gamble roll.

I also notice that the Bitcoin doom and gloom brigade are quieter than usual.
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Was mildly satisfying watching it gain 50-60%. Putting another £4K in and seeing that now worth £10k means I may have a click out with £6k for a treat or as I’ve lost nothing just let the gamble roll.

Yea has been nice to see, I only.put a small amount in but to see it increase as much as it has over the past few months has been nice. Tempted to click out myself but seeing as it's just under £500 I think I'll see what happens👍

Nothing changed, just a better selling opportunity.

1k that it's lower in a year?

Master
    My cousin who i’ve not seen in years was over from Boston last week. She’s worked for Fidelity for 25 years since graduating from University, mainly in compliance. For the last year or so she’s moved to their Bitcoin department as Fidelity are now custodians. She said they got into this as they are getting institutional investors asking for crypto currency to be a part of their holdings. There are around 1700 apparently.

There’s every likelihood that some time in the future, this type of investment could be part of every/many investors portfolio, similar to holding gold I guess. Possibly 1% to 2% wouldn’t seem out of the way.

Whether Bitcoin thrives/survives who knows. It could be the new Apple/Amazon, or the market leader may not even exist yet.

FWIW I don’t own any, never had and too be honest don’t really understand it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    My cousin who i’ve not seen in years was over from Boston last week. She’s worked for Fidelity for 25 years since graduating from University, mainly in compliance. For the last year or so she’s moved to their Bitcoin department as Fidelity are now custodians. She said they got into this as they are getting institutional investors asking for crypto currency to be a part of their holdings. There are around 1700 apparently.

There’s every likelihood that some time in the future, this type of investment could be part of every/many investors portfolio, similar to holding gold I guess. Possibly 1% to 2% wouldn’t seem out of the way.

Whether Bitcoin thrives/survives who knows. It could be the new Apple/Amazon, or the market leader may not even exist yet.

FWIW I don’t own any, never had and too be honest don’t really understand it myself.
    To be honest I don’t understand much myself, I still believe there’s 2 possible outcome for Bitcoin.

One) crypto currencies are the future, and bitcoin almost certainly is going to be the prime currency of them all (one form/way or another)

Two) the really big bankers of the world, the ones that really controls the money flow, see Bitcoin as a threat, which will result in a battle to shut it down

If the former, I want to be part of it.. if the latter.. I’ve risked what I could afford to loose.

For me the pros in case of success heavily outweigh the cons of looosing

So it's going to take over the world or some eveil forces will conspire to keep it from taking over the world?

Forgot about the option 3 that it's entirely pointless and will just die?

So it's going to take over the world or some eveil forces will conspire to keep it from taking over the world?

Forgot about the option 3 that it's entirely pointless and will just die?
    It’s not entirely pointless, we all know that, including you.. it might not be of use to too many yet/never, that I cannot tell.

And no, I don’t see option 3 as a possibility.. if it had to die because it was useless, it would have died last winter when the price went free fall

As a payment ‘method’ it should have a future - but there is little intrinsic value in it as such.

When ‘wire transfers’ in their most basic form came about - it didn’t mean that the telegraph system was suddenly worth a fortune.

It’s speculation, pure and simple - maybe that’s why the banks are interested.

and I love the way that phrases like “price correction” get thrown in............. a pseudo-tech term for “what it needs to gain - to meet what I think it’s value is”

Possibly for the same reason that its champions go all quiet when it's in a slump.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Man I missed the boat again!!

Buying a few months back looks like a nice gain.

(...)
    (...)
    Deal.

Nothing changed, just a better selling opportunity.

1k that it's lower in a year?

It's so quiet around here....

Grand Master

It's so quiet around here....
    Sorry withdrew a few grand of profit that it had made this month and had a little party yesterday. But back now. Let’s have a look! Ohh. It’s higher still. Damn
    RIAC

Craftsman
    I think there is no point getting ahead as the rollercoaster keeps going both up and down.

One of my mates who keeps himself informed on crypto reckons it is the Libra push that is a catalyst. I guess we will see what happens when the lawmakers decide in July.

Sorry withdrew a few grand of profit that it had made this month and had a little party yesterday. But back now. Let’s have a look! Ohh. It’s higher still. Damn
    I have a grand profit from my earlier bitcoin trade burning a hole in my pocket. You want to bet if it's higher or lower in a year (or six months)?

Not? Thought so.

Grand Master
    Not? Thought so.
    I’m already betting by having it there
    RIAC

Lost 25% in the past 24 hours, absolutely normal volatility for the soon-to-be world's leading currency.

Anybody wants to take my bet for a grand at 25% lower strike?

Yikes, 2 things you need from a currency as a minimum, stability and the ability to pay your taxes with it.

Lost 25% in the past 24 hours, absolutely normal volatility for the soon-to-be world's leading currency.

Anybody wants to take my bet for a grand at 25% lower strike?
    Nobody is going to accept that bet, when they’re already betting on bitcoin.. I don’t understand what’s the point of this bet anyway

Nobody is going to accept that bet, when they’re already betting on bitcoin.. I don’t understand what’s the point of this bet anyway

What does one have to do with the other?

The bet was a suggestion of one of the BTC bulls, he has gone dark since I said I would take it.

Whatever.

What does one have to do with the other?

The bet was a suggestion of one of the BTC bulls, he has gone dark since I said I would take it.

Whatever.
    No offence, but I thought you were trying to wind somebody up, unnecessarily, readying pack to previous posts I now understand..

On another note, can somebody explain to me what role does gold play in modern day society?

What I know for sure is, nobody pays taxes with it, and I’m curious because I’ve heard somebody associating Bitcoin to gold as a store of value (whatever that means), as opposed to Bitcoin as a currency

I was into alt currencies several years ago. Got in, made a decent profit, and got out. It was a ride I can tell you. But the incessant 24/7 nature of the markets, the flaws and slowness of the blockchain system, plus as below, all served to make me feel that the game wasn't worth the effort.

Now at that time, buying in was easy, but cashing out (into GBP) was an absolute nightmare. There were very few ways to do it, and none of those were that simple. How are people achieving that nowadays?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Now at that time, buying in was easy, but cashing out (into GBP) was an absolute nightmare. There were very few ways to do it, and none of those were that simple. How are people achieving that nowadays?
    By just clicking withdraw on account! Not hard anymore
    RIAC

No offence, but I thought you were trying to wind somebody up, unnecessarily, readying pack to previous posts I now understand..

On another note, can somebody explain to me what role does gold play in modern day society?

What I know for sure is, nobody pays taxes with it, and I’m curious because I’ve heard somebody associating Bitcoin to gold as a store of value (whatever that means), as opposed to Bitcoin as a currency

I suppose at a very basic level you can always make trinkets, wrist watches and other kinds, from gold for personal adornment/gratification and since as a species we've done that with gold throughout history and our appetite shows no sign of lessening, it has represented a store of value across centuries. I believe it also has wide uses in manufacturing and has been described as the most useful mineral on earth.

Can you 'use' bitcoins or any other crypto currency for adornment or anything useful/gratifying. I realise if you're lucky enough to ride the wave and get your timing right you can cash out your bitcoins for a profit and buy other stuff, even gold, but I reckon eventually like the tulip bulbs of yesteryear when enough folk come to their senses or simply cotton on to another new hot trend, those bitcoins could well become worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I suppose at a very basic level you can always make trinkets, wrist watches and other kinds, from gold for personal adornment/gratification and since as a species we've done that with gold throughout history and our appetite shows no sign of lessening, it has represented a store of value across centuries. I believe it also has wide uses in manufacturing and has been described as the most useful mineral on earth.

Can you 'use' bitcoins or any other crypto currency for adornment or anything useful/gratifying. I realise if you're lucky enough to ride the wave and get your timing right you can cash out your bitcoins for a profit and buy other stuff, even gold, but I reckon eventually like the tulip bulbs of yesteryear when enough folk come to their senses or simply cotton on to another new hot trend, those bitcoins could well become worthless.
    Fair, thank you for answering my question

Ideally speaking.. what would need to happen for cryptocurrencies to become a viable alternatives to fiat currencies?

Fair, thank you for answering my question

Ideally speaking.. what would need to happen for cryptocurrencies to become a viable alternatives to fiat currencies?

Dunno a wide and general loss of faith in the current fiat systems perhaps, those situations are usually found in wars and failed states, though in such circumstances digital currency likely less than useless. Gold and guns.

Craftsman
    I am not doing Bitcoin but I am with a broker who is doing Forex currency trading....

worked out over £400 profit this month from a £3k deposit into my icmarkets account...

I don't know how it all works, it's my first foray into this....

Regards

V
    Last edited by vertex; 29th June 2019 at 16:34.

By just clicking withdraw on account! Not hard anymore
    I’m in Coinbase, and it couldn’t be any harder to withdraws funds, keep verifying my bank account and it never works, frustrating 🙈

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by vertex View Post
    I am not doing Bitcoin but I am with a broker who is doing Forex currency trading....

worked out over £400 profit this month from a £3k deposit into my icmarkets account...

I don't know how it all works, it's my first foray into this....

Regards

V
    Hey, I agree with you.
    Trade Fx. at everfx Start with at least 3k. I've managed to turn 1k into 7-10k a few times but I've also blown a few accounts. The biggest lesson I've learned is that the mindset shift in going from small acc to larger does not directly translate. It's a pretty significant difference and starting with anything less than 3k might set you up with bad habits. Also, if you're trading properly with less than 3k, it'll seem like it's not worth the time leading to greed.
    Last edited by Derrils; 23rd December 2019 at 13:51.

Master
    Bit of a noob trading question here so hopefully somebody can help explain…

Over the last few years I’ve been a crypto HODLr and up until about six months ago had no interest in trading but I’m now at a point where I’d like to open my first trade on Binance and I can’t work out exactly how to do it with a stop loss.

Do you do it all in one order or do I need three? One to buy when price reaches X, one to sell if price drops to Y and one to sell if price reaches Z? If somebody can explain or drop me a DM that would be great!

Knowing that a TZ-UK members word is his bond....
    I'll take that. Coinbase price currently: USD 7399
    Siri reminder set for 12 months time. Game on :)

One caveat;
    I will pay you in any currency you wish, to the value of GBP50 12 months from now, but I will only accept payment in Bitcoin.
    Please don't see this as a 'wobble', I just think it adds to the mood of the bet, and the underlying principle behind it :)
    50 quid / 5,715 = 0.00875 BTC.

I take real money.

OK, looks like I am going to lose this bet (two days to go and BTC is $2,500 above strike).

Luckily, I have bought the BTC required already in January (it was too cheap not to):

Question: as those BTC are sitting in my Coinbase account, how do I best transfer them to you? I have never transferred BTC before.

Craftsman
    Sorry, for the radio silence.
    Thanks for getting in touch, have (finally!) replied......

Sorry, for the radio silence.
    Thanks for getting in touch, have (finally!) replied......
    All good.

If anyone happens to have any loose Satoshi lying around looking for a good cause, then you might be interested in this youtube feed(er).

https://www.watfordfc.com/club/bitco...sleeve-partner

And if that doesn't bring credibility and acceptance...

They were talking about Blockchain and specifically Bitcoin on Radio 4 the other day. All very interesting however the facts that really blew me away was that

a) Bitcoin can only handle 4 transactions per second - Visa handle 18000 transactions per second.

b) that the Electricity necessary to encrypt/de-encrypt Bitcoins transactions annually, is the same amount of electricity used by the Netherlands.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    They were talking about Blockchain and specifically Bitcoin on Radio 4 the other day. All very interesting however the facts that really blew me away was that

a) Bitcoin can only handle 4 transactions per second - Visa handle 18000 transactions per second.

b) that the Electricity necessary to encrypt/de-encrypt Bitcoins transactions annually, is the same amount of electricity used by the Netherlands.
    According to Ripples website, they can handle 1500 transactions per second and scale up to handle the same throughput as Visa

Any of you boomers into FTM or V-ID?

https://www.v-id.org/

https://fantom.foundation
    Last edited by studly; 14th September 2019 at 14:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    According to Ripples website, they can handle 1500 transactions per second and scale up to handle the same throughput as Visa

Well someone is wrong - most likely the BBC to be fair.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Well someone is wrong - most likely the BBC to be fair.
    I would say that's very likely. Things are moving on at quite a pace with block chain and alternative solutions to scalability.
    It's just a matter of time...

They might be able to handle a thousand transactions per second but confirmation time is measured in minutes if not longer.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    They might be able to handle a thousand transactions per second but confirmation time is measured in minutes if not longer.
    Not with XRP it's not

Sent from my [null] using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bingobadgo View Post
    Not with XRP it's not

Maybe, was referring to bitcoin.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Maybe, was referring to bitcoin.
    Ah. Sorry, I didn't get that. Bitcoin is painfully slow and is getting worse but some of the other technologies are more promising.

Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    Any of you boomers into FTM or V-ID?

https://www.v-id.org/

https://fantom.foundation

The Baby Boomers itt... lol

As an absolute novice in such matters i would appreciate any advice regarding the "Libra Method" the face-book backed investment scheme .
    I ask as i am currently being bombarded with offers to register for it and looking at the testimonials it does look very enticing,now i'm not green enough to believe all the hype about profits and returns, but i would appreciate some views from some of the forum members who have experience in these matters .Thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by Jega View Post
    As an absolute novice in such matters i would appreciate any advice regarding the "Libra Method" the face-book backed investment scheme .
    I ask as i am currently being bombarded with offers to register for it and looking at the testimonials it does look very enticing,now i'm not green enough to believe all the hype about profits and returns, but i would appreciate some views from some of the forum members who have experience in these matters .Thanks .
    Anyone offering you a scheme to buy Libra is a fraudster - Libra doesn't exist yet and its launch is not planned before 2020 at the earliest. There is also no way to register for it.

Just delete the emails and thank me later.