closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 139 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Bitcoin

Any ideas how to buy ICOs? Anyone has some experience on what platforms to use? and how to pick which ICOs to buy?

I'm currently a novice investor with some BTC and ETH & doing some BTC mining. I'm expanding my risk appetite in my crypto portfolio so am willing to take on more risk!

TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Hewjardon View Post
    Kraken does not have the most fluid UI but the platform is very robust, arguably the most secure with no (disclosed!) hacks to date etc. For me, thats a paramount consideration.

Neither have they been ordered to hand over to the IRS all user details (name, address, D.o.B, bank account etc) responsible for transactions of USD20,000.00 or more, as Coinbase has.
    Likely the first of many such orders though.......
    Surely given that Kraken and Coinbase are headquartered in California, they would be governed by the same Cali State laws. Hence, IRS can easily push that same lawsuit on Kraken to get the user details?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hyl1987 View Post
    Any ideas how to buy ICOs? Anyone has some experience on what platforms to use? and how to pick which ICOs to buy?

I'm currently a novice investor with some BTC and ETH & doing some BTC mining. I'm expanding my risk appetite in my crypto portfolio so am willing to take on more risk!

TIA.
    How is the BTC mining coming along?? Worthwhile? Expensive? Noisy?

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    How is the BTC mining coming along?? Worthwhile? Expensive? Noisy?
    Using a gtx Titan X Pascal I'm getting about 4 USD gross and 2 USD net profit. So it should be about 300 ish days to recoup the initial outlay on the GPU. I use the nicrhash software to mine so pretty idiot proof.

The CPU is in a separate room that i don't use much. Pretty noisy as I had to increase the fan speeds manually as fan factory speeds are too slow.

I'm thinking of getting another GPU on another pc I have for mining. Possibly a gtx 1080 ti or a Rx Vega 64.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news but nicehash may not be paying out any more as they got "hacked". https://amp.reddit.com/r/NiceHash/co...mpression=true

Definition of hacked seems to be changing these days too, tether also got "hacked".

Master
    BTC approaching $15000 - madness.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    BTC approaching $15000 - madness.
    It was being discussed on LBC the other day too.

It does seem a bit mad, but just imagine if you got in early....surely a correction/drop is due soon.

Master

TIA.
    ICO's seem so risky but I would love to be able to pick them too. I nearly bought into that 'Crypto20' ICO last week but I bought some IOTA instead which worked out pretty good.

IOTA has took a big dip over the last 24hrs and has news to come in the next week so have a look at that as I think it should spike again.

IOTA is good as there's something behind it, rather than a press release and a white paper on some vision of the future but most ICOs....I wouldn't touch with a bargepole. There's risky investments and then there's most ICOs - if firms can't get funding via VCs or something like Seedrs yet somehow manage to create tokens that values the company at, in some cases 10x what they were asking for on other funding platforms I'd steer clear.

Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news but nicehash may not be paying out any more as they got "hacked". https://amp.reddit.com/r/NiceHash/co...mpression=true

Definition of hacked seems to be changing these days too, tether also got "hacked".
    yeah I realised last night. Not sure what exactly is stolen but there is BTC missing from their accounts. I had about 20 USD of bitcoin in there at that time. Time to find a different software.

Quote from Nicehash website
    "Service Unavailable

Official press release regarding the NiceHash security breach

Unfortunately, there has been a security breach involving NiceHash website. We are currently investigating the nature of the incident and, as a result, we are stopping all operations for the next 24 hours.

Importantly, our payment system was compromised and the contents of the NiceHash Bitcoin wallet have been stolen. We are working to verify the precise number of BTC taken.

Clearly, this is a matter of deep concern and we are working hard to rectify the matter in the coming days. In addition to undertaking our own investigation, the incident has been reported to the relevant authorities and law enforcement and we are co-operating with them as a matter of urgency.

We are fully committed to restoring the NiceHash service with the highest security measures at the earliest opportunity.

We would not exist without our devoted buyers and miners all around the globe. We understand that you will have a lot of questions, and we ask for patience and understanding while we investigate the causes and find the appropriate solutions for the future of the service. We will endeavour to update you at regular intervals.

While the full scope of what happened is not yet known, we recommend, as a precaution, that you change your online passwords.

We are truly sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused and are committing every resource towards solving this issue as soon as possible."

Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    ICO's seem so risky but I would love to be able to pick them too. I nearly bought into that 'Crypto20' ICO last week but I bought some IOTA instead which worked out pretty good.

IOTA has took a big dip over the last 24hrs and has news to come in the next week so have a look at that as I think it should spike again.
    What platform/exchanges do you use? I'm looking at coinigy/ cryptowatch that seems to be aggregator sites where you pay a subscription fee to trade on cryptos from multiple exchanges.

Yea ICOs are very risky,. I'm trying to work out how best to invest in ICOs... and if ICOs have a decent risk reward profile.

Also, I've recently read a good article on SeekingAlpha and would like to share it. It is well written by from the POV of a traditional investor and how he made sense of what is going on in the market.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/412...-money-bitcoin

Master
    I use Coinbase to buy in and transfer to Binance to trade.

If you want any referral links let me know.

Master
    Available on Revolut (premium) from today

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    I use Coinbase to buy in and transfer to Binance to trade.

If you want any referral links let me know.
    Almost the same as me, Coinbase to buy in, Bittrex for trading. I tend to buy Ether to trade as it has lower fees than BTC.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge_r View Post
    Almost the same as me, Coinbase to buy in, Bittrex for trading. I tend to buy Ether to trade as it has lower fees than BTC.
    Curious as to what trading strategies people use. Or is just more taking advantage of opportunistic price movements? I don't trade hence the question.
    Last edited by bambam; 7th December 2017 at 19:57.

Craftsman
    Bitcoin in the news today, people can't get their cash out apparently.cant say I'm surprised.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    Bitcoin in the news today, people can't get their cash out apparently.cant say I'm surprised.
    That’s nothing to do with Bitcoin though, that’s down to the platform they chose to trade on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Pyramid selling- nice new bricks- same old punters.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Anyone with a trezor fancy selling me 0.00089249 my OCD is killing. Obviously i will pay the cost plus fees but im this amount from 5.

Craftsman
    Am looking at a 6 point grumblefuttock from low point but seems to be .06 down from the multi grade at the moment, anyone got any upbeat on crinklespread bolsters? mine have spent out to 11sec on the ulterior minimum time scale so need to bear down.

Master
    As the value and volatility continue to rise, does Bitcoin become less of a currency and more a pure investment? Just read this statement from Steam who have stopped accepting Bitcoin payments....

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?feed=steam_blog

As of today, Steam will no longer support Bitcoin as a payment method on our platform due to high fees and volatility in the value of Bitcoin.

In the past few months we've seen an increase in the volatility in the value of Bitcoin and a significant increase in the fees to process transactions on the Bitcoin network. For example, transaction fees that are charged to the customer by the Bitcoin network have skyrocketed this year, topping out at close to $20 a transaction last week (compared to roughly $0.20 when we initially enabled Bitcoin). Unfortunately, Valve has no control over the amount of the fee. These fees result in unreasonably high costs for purchasing games when paying with Bitcoin. The high transaction fees cause even greater problems when the value of Bitcoin itself drops dramatically.

Historically, the value of Bitcoin has been volatile, but the degree of volatility has become extreme in the last few months, losing as much as 25% in value over a period of days. This creates a problem for customers trying to purchase games with Bitcoin. When checking out on Steam, a customer will transfer x amount of Bitcoin for the cost of the game, plus y amount of Bitcoin to cover the transaction fee charged by the Bitcoin network. The value of Bitcoin is only guaranteed for a certain period of time so if the transaction doesn’t complete within that window of time, then the amount of Bitcoin needed to cover the transaction can change. The amount it can change has been increasing recently to a point where it can be significantly different.

The normal resolution for this is to either refund the original payment to the user, or ask the user to transfer additional funds to cover the remaining balance. In both these cases, the user is hit with the Bitcoin network transaction fee again. This year, we’ve seen increasing number of customers get into this state. With the transaction fee being so high right now, it is not feasible to refund or ask the customer to transfer the missing balance (which itself runs the risk of underpayment again, depending on how much the value of Bitcoin changes while the Bitcoin network processes the additional transfer).

At this point, it has become untenable to support Bitcoin as a payment option. We may re-evaluate whether Bitcoin makes sense for us and for the Steam community at a later date.

We will continue working to resolve any pending issues for customers who are impacted by existing underpayments or transaction fees.

Craftsman
    Anyone still asleep at the back? Wakey Wakey.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    As the value and volatility continue to rise, does Bitcoin become less of a currency and more a pure investment? Just read this statement from Steam who have stopped accepting Bitcoin payments....

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?feed=steam_blog

As of today, Steam will no longer support Bitcoin as a payment method on our platform due to high fees and volatility in the value of Bitcoin.

In the past few months we've seen an increase in the volatility in the value of Bitcoin and a significant increase in the fees to process transactions on the Bitcoin network. For example, transaction fees that are charged to the customer by the Bitcoin network have skyrocketed this year, topping out at close to $20 a transaction last week (compared to roughly $0.20 when we initially enabled Bitcoin). Unfortunately, Valve has no control over the amount of the fee. These fees result in unreasonably high costs for purchasing games when paying with Bitcoin. The high transaction fees cause even greater problems when the value of Bitcoin itself drops dramatically.

Historically, the value of Bitcoin has been volatile, but the degree of volatility has become extreme in the last few months, losing as much as 25% in value over a period of days. This creates a problem for customers trying to purchase games with Bitcoin. When checking out on Steam, a customer will transfer x amount of Bitcoin for the cost of the game, plus y amount of Bitcoin to cover the transaction fee charged by the Bitcoin network. The value of Bitcoin is only guaranteed for a certain period of time so if the transaction doesn’t complete within that window of time, then the amount of Bitcoin needed to cover the transaction can change. The amount it can change has been increasing recently to a point where it can be significantly different.

The normal resolution for this is to either refund the original payment to the user, or ask the user to transfer additional funds to cover the remaining balance. In both these cases, the user is hit with the Bitcoin network transaction fee again. This year, we’ve seen increasing number of customers get into this state. With the transaction fee being so high right now, it is not feasible to refund or ask the customer to transfer the missing balance (which itself runs the risk of underpayment again, depending on how much the value of Bitcoin changes while the Bitcoin network processes the additional transfer).

At this point, it has become untenable to support Bitcoin as a payment option. We may re-evaluate whether Bitcoin makes sense for us and for the Steam community at a later date.

We will continue working to resolve any pending issues for customers who are impacted by existing underpayments or transaction fees.
    It's being dealt with.

https://www.coindesk.com/lightning-l...-almost-ready/

I think what everyone needs to realise that it is on a journey.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    Pyramid selling- nice new bricks- same old punters.
    Have you done any research or just decided it's a pyramid because everyone involved has made a lot of money?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    Anyone with a trezor fancy selling me 0.00089249 my OCD is killing. Obviously i will pay the cost plus fees but im this amount from 5.
    Can you not just buy it via one of the exchanges? I hear you re the OCD...

Apprentice
    Curious as to what trading strategies people use. Or is just more taking advantage of opportunistic price movements? I don't trade hence the question.
    I only have a relatively small investment and I don't have a strategy as such. When I was a geeky teenager I looked into mining Bitcoin when it was worth cents and decided not to. So I jumped on the wagon way too late, just to make some money from it.

I just put a lump sum in and split it between BTC, ETH and LTC and have done a few small top-ups since then. I've started putting really small regular amounts [£50 or so] into some of the smaller currencies and will gradually build them up if and when they become more viable. OMG, XRP and IOTA are part of that for me.

I'm firmly in the holding stage at the moment, it is still difficult and clunky to buy cryptocurrencies, not to mention stupid limits and verification stages - so it doesn't have an easy entry point. When it does, I can see the market growing even more...

Anyone have any insight in other Alt-coins?

Have you done any research or just decided it's a pyramid because everyone involved has made a lot of money?
    It’s not a pyramid, as every investor has the same opportunity to experience the same growth or loss. This is not true in a pyramid.

If he had have used the Tulip bubble, then time will tell.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    It's being dealt with.

https://www.coindesk.com/lightning-l...-almost-ready/

I think what everyone needs to realise that it is on a journey.
    I don’t know enough about it. Do you believe that Bitcoin needs to be widely accepted and easy to transact with in order to maintain its value or will it continue to exist just fine as a relatively niche currency?

A lot of bitcoins, seventy million dollars worth, just "stolen" in a hack...

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/07/tech...ing/index.html
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    A lot of bitcoins, seventy million dollars worth, just "stolen" in a hack...

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/07/tech...ing/index.html
    Yup I was one of the victims using that platform.

Interestingly, Bulgarian authorities have recovered some $3Bn of cryptos that was hacked. No indication of what is going to happen to it though.

https://www.coindesk.com/bulgarian-g...llion-bitcoin/

Master
    Yup I was one of the victims using that platform.

Interestingly, Bulgarian authorities have recovered some $3Bn of cryptos that was hacked. No indication of what is going to happen to it though.

https://www.coindesk.com/bulgarian-g...llion-bitcoin/
    Sorry to hear that. Hope you didn't lose too much and that you get it all back.

Can you not just buy it via one of the exchanges? I hear you re the OCD...
    But then he wouldn't be able to accidentally let slip how much he has got.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't really understand it but it sounds like one of the surest ways to lose a lot of money that I've ever heard of

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I don't really understand it but it sounds like one of the surest ways to lose a lot of money that I've ever heard of
    Yep check out parabolic chart rises and all will be revealed! But of course its different this time...

Craftsman
    Warnings from the big boys yesterday,JP Morgan etc. I do like the "we've been hacked" one. Hope the banks don't catch on and pretend to lose all funds out of savings accounts.

The banks can simply replace the line in your account though. If someone took the information then it's close to worthless, at least as a currency. With bitcoin all the holdings are unique code, so once stolen the exchange can't just replicate the number that had been taken.

Banned
    ive been tracking bitcoin for the last 2-3 months and so wish i jumped in a bit earlier . it feels like its waiting for me to jump in to collapse in price

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    The banks can simply replace the line in your account though. If someone took the information then it's close to worthless, at least as a currency. With bitcoin all the holdings are unique code, so once stolen the exchange can't just replicate the number that had been taken.
    No different really. They replace bitcoins stolen from their resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    From their resources?

Psstt I got some great tulip bulbs, bidding starts at....

From their resources?
    Yes. How is it different to someone hacking into a bank and stealing money from your account? In both cases there's a real loss and the bank can use their funds to make up the loss.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Not sure this is accurate - where exactly would these resources come from? There is no bank/system that can just decide to replace - the code is unique and not infinite.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. How is it different to someone hacking into a bank and stealing money from your account? In both cases there's a real loss and the bank can use their funds to make up the loss.
    Its completely different there is no bank to replace the stolen BTC. Not apples and apples.

Having bitcoin stolen is more like when you leave cash somewhere and it is lost - you have little recourse unless you have a specific insurance.
    Last edited by maccer; 9th December 2017 at 12:30.

Quote Originally Posted by maccer View Post
    Not sure this is accurate - where exactly would these resources come from? There is no bank/system that can just decide to replace - the code is unique and not infinite.

- - - Updated - - -

Its completely different there is no bank.
    Yes, it's unique, so replace with a 'different' Bitcoin. If they can't holders should hold them elsewhere.

Not banks maybe but pretty similar - the exchanges hold funds for customers.

Think for a lot of people who 'don't get it' they imagine it is some fake money being generated by people in their bedrooms. The real mines are multi-million pound businesses burning £30k of electricity a day to produce something that has a finite limit, can be spent cross border etc with no limits or control, and low costs to transfer. There will only ever be 21 million bitcoins, not even enough for every millionaire to own just one.

What will happen long term? Nobody knows, not even the experts. But one thing's for sure, we live in interesting times!

It’s very different. You can’t just hack a bank and steal the cash from someone’s account, as just knowing the information of my balance and account number etc. aren’t going to let you spend the money. Whereas having the unique codes for my bitcoins is almost all you need to have possession of them.

It’s very different. You can’t just hack a bank and steal the cash from someone’s account, as just knowing the information of my balance and account number etc. aren’t going to let you spend the money. Whereas having the unique codes for my bitcoins is almost all you need to have possession of them.
    Surely a hacker could transfer monies to a different (their) account. Indeed, not unknown for bank employees to do this.

Master
    Surely a hacker could transfer monies to a different (their) account. Indeed, not unknown for bank employees to do this.
    Banks are insured. Exchanges (AFAIK) are not.

And if you hold your own bitcoin in a secure ledger etc and it's hacked (very unlikely) it's like losing your wallet full of cash.

Master
    Does anyone have a Bitfinex referral link/code?

Thinking of opening an account and thought I'd see if there was an opportunity to mutually help someone else.

Does anyone else use Bitfinex? If so, any views/opinions?

Looking for a platform that allows wider choice (different coins etc) than Coinbase.

Cheers
    Last edited by bambam; 11th December 2017 at 16:13.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Banks are insured. Exchanges (AFAIK) are not.
    They might not be, no, though doesn't absolve liability.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you didn't lose too much and that you get it all back.
    Nope not too much. approx USD20. nicehash pays out minimum values of USD100. So all the losses would have been between USD 0 - 100. which implies 34 million miners out there!

Anyway, couple of questions:
    1) Does anyone have other mining softwares to recommend?
    2) Anyone does arbitrage trading? Looking at either arbitrage between exchanges or currencies on BTC.