closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 131 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133 ... LastLast
Results 6,501 to 6,550 of 6926

Thread: Bitcoin

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Amazing, isn't it?

I am waiting for the redemption numbers for Binance to hit the wires.
    And here is the first report: down $2bln and going stroooong.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/binance...pound-9a136e21
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

And BTC goes up over night , which doesn't really make sense

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    And BTC goes up over night , which doesn't really make sense

Just wait.

Master
    Blog Entries
    And here is the first report: down $2bln and going stroooong.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/binance...pound-9a136e21
    Is that people taking their crypto off into wallets or people cashing in their crypto for USD?

I wonder how much real money is available if lots of people start cashing in for USD ??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Is that people taking their crypto off into wallets or people cashing in their crypto for USD?

Just means off Binance

It could go to another exchange or a wallet, or be converted back to FIAT

I wonder how much real money is available if lots of people start cashing in for USD ??
    Define real money -- it's all just on computer these days :-)

But to answer your question plenty, I imagine

If people start selling BTC the price should go down in theory, but it would need to be on a fairly significant scale

Any remember for every trade, there is a willing buyer as well as a willing seller
    Last edited by demonloop; 29th March 2023 at 13:09.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Just means off Binance

It could go to another exchange or a wallet, or be converted back to FIAT

Define real money -- it's all just on computer these days :-)

But to answer your question plenty, I imagine

If people start selling BTC the price should go down in theory, but it would need to be on a fairly significant scale

Any remember for every trade, there is a willing buyer as well as a willing seller
    Understood; but I'm guessing it is easier for them to have someone move 1 BTC off into a wallet than it is for them to give someone $26,000 in hard cash ....

It's always been my understanding that the amount of real $'s that have entered the crypto eco system is only a few % of it's current gross "market cap" and when real USD start flowing out that is when the trouble starts.

Master

It's always been my understanding that the amount of real $'s that have entered the crypto eco system is only a few % of it's current gross "market cap" and when real USD start flowing out that is when the trouble starts.
    Yes that's true but the same of most assets, stock market etc too

If you bought your house 50 years ago at £10,000 and it's now worth £1m, and everyone decided to sell at once there would be liquidity issues too

Unlikely to happen I accept, but the principle is the same

Tesla stock would be a better comparison in this scenario, but I've already typed the property one :-)

I'll be surprised if much of the crypto coming off Binance is cashed out into fiat to be honest, but who knows

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes that's true but the same of most assets, stock market etc too

If you bought your house 50 years ago at £10,000 and it's now worth £1m, and everyone decided to sell at once there would be liquidity issues too

Unlikely to happen I accept, but the principle is the same

Tesla stock would be a better comparison in this scenario, but I've already typed the property one :-)

I'll be surprised if much of the crypto coming off Binance is cashed out into fiat to be honest, but who knows
    All true, but it's my guess that liquidity in crypto is far more challenging than "conventional" assets and so it is much more fragile ...

All true, but it's my guess that liquidity in crypto is far more challenging than "conventional" assets and so it is much more fragile ...
    Yes

Master
    Agreed

I sold short at $240.66 today. One third of a position, so happy to sell more into a rising price.
    That went very well. Not.

Well I've just taken some sneaky profit to the moon!

Master
    Saylor back in the green

Are there any city types on here with access to a co2 meter who could pop down to Threadneedle Street during their lunch break?

PS Don't forget to take a picture for the 'Guess where' thread at the same time.

Makes sense to me...given the expertise needed to build and run that farm I wonder how they found someone that stupid to present it
    Last edited by MB2; 12th April 2023 at 13:55.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Makes sense to me...given the expertise needed to build and run that farm I wonder how they found someone that stupid to present it
    Was that filmed 11 days ago?

Master
    I thought the mining FUD was over? Surely there must be something new to FUD about?

Expect a Chinese ban next week too

You thought it was all over ....

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/..._6GMAipvw&s=19

Master
    You thought it was all over ....

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/..._6GMAipvw&s=19

Come on you know the rules, all news about Bitcoin must be negative!

FTX is dead though, great if some folk get their money back, but the exchange is a dead duck

It's a genuine w.t.f though in a world of w.t.fs

We enter 31k territory , Sayler wetting himself

We enter 31k territory , Sayler wetting himself

Naah, Saylorman looking for $1mio.

Naah, Saylorman looking for $1mio.
    Cathy's crew too.

In an interview with TD Ameritrade Network, Elmandjra [Ark Invest analyst] highlighted Bitcoin's impressive performance over the last decade, making it an attractive addition to investment portfolios. He estimates that a reasonable allocation for institutions can range between 2.5% to 6.5% depending on their risk-adjusted returns or minimizing volatility preferences, which could translate to a value above $1 million per Bitcoin in the next ten years.

Regarding the million-dollar prediction, Elmandjra acknowledged that a 20-fold increase in value might sound far-fetched, but it is not unreasonable when considering Bitcoin's origins and the evolution of the digital economy.

Put like that it can all sound so seductively plausible.

https://u.today/will-bitcoin-hit-1-m...s-its-possible

https://twitter.com/TDANetwork/statu...46599504486406

"Intel Discontinues Bitcoin-Mining Blockscale Chips, No Future Gens Announced"

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/in...gens-announced

No surprises there, though the sub header does feel somewhat boldly opinionated - "Came in late, leaving too early."

Intel tiny in the mining race

And even tinier now. I think it was largely their perceived potential that gave them an entry ticket, which they have seemingly declined. For the time being anyway.
    Last edited by petethegeek; 23rd April 2023 at 11:54. Reason: redundant 'which'

Be like Michael and receive Lightning bitcoin payments direct to your personal/business email address. It's as easy as... well I'll leave it to you to decide.

https://decrypt.co/137557/how-michae...-email-address

Journeyman
    I believe we are going to see BTC hit the 20k mark soon. The whole market seems really weak recently. Even the Arbitrum airdrop didn't manage to revive it. So at the moment there are no signs of resurrection for the crypto market. Meanwhile I keep some coins on my OWNR Wallet waiting for the right time to send them to the exchange.
    Last edited by Owren; 2nd May 2023 at 21:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Owren View Post
    I believe we are going to see BTC hit the 20k mark soon. The whole market seems really weak recently. Even the Arbitrum airdrop didn't manage to revive it. So at the moment there are no signs of resurrection for the crypto market.
    No.

It's going to umpty zillion. Anytime soon. Very soon.

https://www.softwaretestinghelp.com/...ce-prediction/

Eeeek

Wut?

Master
    Binance is a fraud. I give them a week until they are history. Anyone still having coins or cash there should act accordingly.

The only surprise is that it took so long
    Just checked: still there

Just checked: still there
    True, and what a scandal that is.

Just give it a little more time, multiple criminal investigations by the US Justice Department, the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission will eventually grind their way through the covers.

Some of Binance’s customers appear spooked. Over seven days in late March, more than $2 billion in cryptocurrencies built on the popular Ethereum network was withdrawn from the exchange, according to the crypto data tracker Nansen. So far this month, nearly $1 billion has left the platform. Binance still sits on an estimated $66.5 billion in customer holdings, Nansen says.

The C.F.T.C. lawsuit provided a wake-up call about the severity of Binance’s legal situation. The complaint, citing internal texts and emails, argued that the company had allowed criminals to launder funds. Some customers could bypass critical background checks, the complaint said, using loopholes left in place to preserve the exchange’s profits. Privately, Binance employees joked about terrorists moving money on the platform and acknowledged that the company “facilitated potentially illegal activities,” the C.F.T.C. said in its complaint.
    NY Times, today

Master
    Maybe, maybe not. One thing crypto has certainly taught me is that things are rarely as they seem. I imagine it’s always been the case, long before crypto

Absolute roller coaster in BTC last night, starting with sudden 10% collapse from almost $30,000 in the space of a good hour, only to recover to within 3% of the starting point until this morning. Rumours about US government selling Mt. Gox related balances, but I have a difficult time believing that they would just smash the bid. Whatever it was, "store of value" muh.

Meantime, Jemima pulls no punches over at the FT:

One of the (many) times I have been heckled during a panel on crypto was when I argued that it shouldn’t be thought of as money. The only reason to use it other than for speculation, I said, was to buy drugs on the internet. This was a preposterous idea, the heckler retorted; crypto is used for so much more than that.

Crypto enthusiasts argue that it’s wrong to claim that it enables crime because the technology itself is “neutral” so cannot be blamed for any illicit activity. But this simply isn’t true: crypto was designed as a censorship-resistant payment mechanism that operates outside the traditional financial system and beyond the remit of regulators. Crypto transactions are not subjected to the same fraud detection, anti-money laundering or suspicious activity checks that traditional ones are. Operating outside the system is its very raison d’être. And one only has to look at how the crypto industry behaves to see that crime is not a bug; it’s a feature.

Take the world’s biggest crypto exchange Binance, for instance. In a lawsuit filed last month against the exchange, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission alleges that Binance’s former chief compliance officer said of certain Binance customers: “Like come on. They are here for crime.” The exchange’s money laundering reporting officer, according to the CFTC, agreed: “We see the bad, but we close 2 eyes.”

It would be funny if it weren’t so flagrant. “These exchanges know exactly what they’re doing,” Stephen Diehl, co-author of Popping the Crypto Bubble, tells me. “They’re basically creating a dark transnational payment network and, not surprisingly, that will be used by criminals. They’re purpose-built for that.”

Last year was a turbulent year for crypto, with collapsing prices wiping about $1.5tn from the industry’s “market cap” and with several high-profile businesses imploding. But despite the market downturn, it was also a record year for crypto-based crime: illicit crypto transactions topped $20bn in 2022, according to data analytics firm Chainalysis, up from $18bn the previous year, after a huge increase in transactions involving companies targeted by US sanctions (the majority coming from Russian-based exchange Garantex). Ransomware attacks were down a little on the year, but still accounted for almost half a billion dollars.

Not only is that figure a “lower-bound estimate” — the number is very likely to grow over time as the company identifies new crypto wallet addresses associated with unlawful activity — but it also only includes “on-chain” activity, meaning only transactions that are recorded on the blockchain. It wouldn’t include, therefore, the “massive fraud” that allegedly took place at crypto exchange FTX, nor the proceeds of drug trafficking in which crypto has been used as the means of payment.

Nor does the figure include $23.8bn worth of money laundered via crypto in 2022 — a 68 per cent increase on the previous 12 months. In the UK alone, the National Crime Agency estimates that over $1bn of illicit cash is transferred overseas using crypto each year.

And back up again

Anyone disappointed by not finding multiple images of themselves spread liberally over the web after submitting their passport photo to the pimeyes app, can now try finding solace checking if their name appears on the bitcoin blockchain instead.

"A NEW WEBSITE LETS YOU SEARCH FOR FULL TEXT ON THE BITCOIN BLOCKCHAIN
    Preturino lets users search all plain text available on the Bitcoin blockchain since the genesis block."

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/technica...oin-blockchain

(Who knows, there may even be an early spec sheet for the prototype Apple buried in there somewhere.)

Markets jittery for all sorts of reasons as they do but BTC holding up, incredible really

It's only a temporary congestion issue. Keep calm and keep hodling (not that you could withdraw if you wanted).

It's only a temporary congestion issue.
    Apparently its all down to a Swiss clown.

(Or maybe it's the footballer, I'm not quite sure.)

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post

(Or maybe it's the footballer, I'm not quite sure.)
    Pele?

Pele?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepe_(...er,_born_1983)

(Maybe before your time :-)?

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    I know who Pepe is, I also know that the completely utility-free shitcoin $PEPE is probably the biggest crypto scam of the year.

But why does Binance suspend Bitcoin withdrawals?

But why does Binance suspend Bitcoin withdrawals?
    Any credible explanations appearing yet? (Other than the issued company line.)

https://www.fxstreet.com/cryptocurre...n-202305071827

Following in El Salvador's footsteps, will Liechtenstein be next?

https://www.finews.com/news/english-...ing-on-bitcoin