closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 82 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,100 of 6926

Thread: Bitcoin

The Lightning network.

A brilliant video explaining how the Lighting network will make Bitcoin transactions near instant and almost free, enabling global use.

25 minutes of your time well spent, if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3cQNpOR_a0

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    The Lightning network.

A brilliant video explaining how the Lighting network will make Bitcoin transactions near instant and almost free, enabling global use.

25 minutes of your time well spent, if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3cQNpOR_a0
    Second time in two days that an article about lightning is posted. Maybe you would answer the question I posted yesterday?

Care to name a single institution that uses lightning for payments of any kind? Just one?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Short BTC $44,850

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Second time in two days that an article about lightning is posted. Maybe you would answer the question I posted yesterday?

Care to name a single institution that uses lightning for payments of any kind? Just one?
    Well, that’s a bit like asking, in 1983, “who uses the internet”?

LN is still in its early roll out and development phase. It’s not fully operational yet.

LN is still in its early roll out and development phase. It’s not fully operational yet.
    Yesterday's article said the the recent gains were driven by adoption due to the lightning network.

You guys will have to make up your mind. Is it a currency again nowadays? I thought it had become an asset?

Master
    ^^ Still way too volatile to be considered as currency IMO, some businesses may accept it but they’d need to be working on huge profit margins or expect it to continue northwards. A gamble really

If the price eventually stabilises, it could of course be both currency (assuming LN works) and a store of value

To be fair, most of the technology for the Internet was developed in the 1970s. IPv4 was developed in the late 1970s and is still the predominant protocol. ARPANET was well established and proving itself in demanding operational environments during the 1970s. By 1984 John Gage was already saying ‘the network is the computer’.

Lightning seems a clever concept to me, but also seems vulnerable to human behaviour in a way that the underlying, slow, blockchain is not. Maybe it will work, maybe not. But it is different from the development of TCP/IP.

One of the things that worry me about the blockchain evangelists is the way they create an equivalence with other long-successful technologies, as if scepticism of a concept is a badge that proves it will one day be successful. There have been lots of technologies that had attractive attributes but were ultimately fatally flawed.

Interesting article on Ethereum

https://tomerstrolight.medium.com/th...m-af9692f4af95

"The truth that everyone should now see is that Ethereum is not a decentralized peer-to-peer system. It is a system with an unaccountable ruling class exploiting the working class, making promises they can’t keep, while spinning a wonderful narrative about how they are solving all the problems — a combination of problems they created, problems that don’t exist, and problems they don’t actually know how to solve.
    It would be fine to leave it at that, even setting aside the countless fraudulent scams that have been perpetrated on Ethereum, but for just one thing.
    That one thing is that this truth about Ethereum is swept under the rug while an entirely different tale is told to newcomers. As such, newcomers to Ethereum have repeatedly been hit with a broad variety of scams.These include a range of ICOs that have been subsequently found to be illegal to ones that were outright frauds. “Smart” contracts that lack smarts and are exploited and drained or “rug-pulled” are so common that many don’t even make the news anymore. Garbage is sold as art. Art that can’t be owned is positioned as that which can be. Lies are told about what is on the blockchain and ownable and what isn’t."

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    There have been lots of technologies that had attractive attributes but were ultimately fatally flawed.
    Betamax says 'hi'.

We had a video 2000, my mother said don't worry my boss has given me his old one, was a Betamax

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    We had a video 2000, my mother said don't worry my boss has given me his old one, was a Betamax

Video 2000 would have been the better example, vastly superior but never got traction. Same as DCC and Laserdisc (by the way, all three of them with Philips involvement in R&D - must have been a little frustrating for them around the time).

Interesting article on Ethereum

https://tomerstrolight.medium.com/th...m-af9692f4af95

"The truth that everyone should now see is that Ethereum is not a decentralized peer-to-peer system. It is a system with an unaccountable ruling class exploiting the working class, making promises they can’t keep,…….
    Do you own any ETH?

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Do you own any ETH?
    100 quid

100 quid

100 quid now or 100 quids worth in 2016!

100 quid now or 100 quids worth in 2016!
    Lol now , can't be bothered to trade it

Some big ETH numbers moving around - https://dailyhodl.com/2021/08/19/wha...ypto-is-going/

ADA to the moon, Cowen crowing

Short BTC $44,850
    A position rarely ends well when you are immediately in the money after you sell. Just closed this for a small loss, looks like it wants to rip to test 50k before the weekend.

I was going to ask what led you to think it was a good time to short it? Didn’t want it to seem like I was gloating though.

I expect it’ll pump to 50k this weekend, then pull back on Sunday, again.

Smashed through the resistance level of the old high overnight, wish I doubled down a few weeks back..

Amen to that, Ada has made me a lot of money in the last 3 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Amen to that, Ada has made me a lot of money in the last 3 weeks
    Yeah I wish I'd put more in

Yeah I wish I'd put more in

I was lucky enough to get in heavy last year when it was 8-10p, still worth buying now the price it will most likely end up at in a few years, or even by the end of this year in fact.

I was lucky enough to get in heavy last year when it was 8-10p, still worth buying now the price it will most likely end up at in a few years, or even by the end of this year in fact.
    Yep, and The Graph

Yep, and The Graph

I had a small amount of that but sold it at the beginning of the year to get more Ada, if you like Cardano as a project have a look at a few launchpad Coins like Ergo and COTI, I think they'll do very well when smart contracts get deployed and still have relatively small markets caps so could easily 10-20x in the short term, obviously do your own research though.

I had a small amount of that but sold it at the beginning of the year to get more Ada, if you like Cardano as a project have a look at a few launchpad Coins like Ergo and COTI, I think they'll do very well when smart contracts get deployed and still have relatively small markets caps so could easily 10-20x in the short term, obviously do your own research though.
    Cheers,

BTC pushing up and having a play

Missed my sell order by $40....

Journeyman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Probably nothing…

Coinbase, the major U.S. bitcoin and cryptocurrency exchange that made a much-hyped Nasdaq NDAQ debut earlier this year, has revealed it plans to add $500 million worth of crypto to its balance sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
    Probably nothing…

Coinbase, the major U.S. bitcoin and cryptocurrency exchange that made a much-hyped Nasdaq NDAQ debut earlier this year, has revealed it plans to add $500 million worth of crypto to its balance sheet.
    It already has about $2b of crypto on its balance sheet.

Must be great, being able to buy coins and tokens before announcing than they're being added to their own exchange. Wow! $$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    By 1984 John Gage was already saying ‘the network is the computer’.
    Did you work at SUN by any chance ?

Bitcoin

Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    Did you work at SUN by any chance ?
    No but it made a powerful impression on me as I developed my IT career. I started out as a coder but made sure I learned networking at a time when it really was just seen as wiring and operations.

These days it’s called DevOps I suppose :).

It already has about $2b of crypto on its balance sheet.

Must be great, being able to buy coins and tokens before announcing than they're being added to their own exchange. Wow! $$$$$
    No it doesn't have $2bln crypto on it's balance sheet. I wonder where you always get your info from?

Besides $48.9 million of the USDc stablecoin, Coinbase owns $130 mio of BTC, $23 mio of ETH and a bag of other crypto to the tune of $34 mio. Makes $187.90 at fair value, carried in the balance sheet at cost of $62 mio.

For the up to $500 mio that they have communicated they may or may not buy now, they are raising $1 bln if fresh equity. Übercool.

No it doesn't have $2bln crypto on it's balance sheet. I wonder where you always get your info from?

Besides $48.9 million of the USDc stablecoin, Coinbase owns $130 mio of BTC, $23 mio of ETH and a bag of other crypto to the tune of $34 mio. Makes $187.90 at fair value, carried in the balance sheet at cost of $62 mio.

For the up to $500 mio that they have communicated they may or may not buy now, they are raising $1 bln if fresh equity. Übercool.
    Shouldn’t be too long before it’s all worth $2bn.

“There is significant demand from institutional investors to gain bitcoin exposure in a secure and regulated environment,” said Randolf Roth, a member of the Eurex’s executive board.

Interesting the above quote from the news link, in the US I believe any ETF application involving Bitcoin has been rejected probably down to the section in bold, dont know how long this will last as more institutions seem to want a piece of the $2 Trillion crypto pie.

Funny thing is Ethereum has two ETF applications that have as yet not been thrown out like Bitcoin, if and its a big IF they go through successfully then its a good sign the old curmudgeons of Wall Street are starting to recognise the impact and future of Crypto??

Bitcoin futures have existed for years on the CME, it's what I am using almost every day since I closed my Binance account.

Where is the news in the fact that the Eurex is late and launches another contract which will get zero adoption since the market has already been claimed?

Shouldn’t be too long before it’s all worth $2bn.
    Yeah, bitcoin will only have to run to $500,000 and Ethereum to $50,000.

I'd say six weeks, max three months?

Master
    Yeah, bitcoin will only have to run to $500,000 and Ethereum to $50,000.

I'd say six weeks, max three months?
    Bah! It’s 2026, as we all know perfectly well

Unbelievable.

Taxes are for idiots. Bitcoin solves that.

Taxes are for idiots. Bitcoin solves that.

Ha ha. Though to be fair this is hardly a “crypto” thing ... passports for money are fairly widespread just look at all the articles about how to get an EU passport ... this is just an “entrepreneur” putting a crypto spin on it and CNBC seeing a story.

ADA at 2.10 this morning, while I have a decent amount I'll buy more soon but its the old question of wait for a correction or just buy more at current price, after all the possibility of $100 is not unrealistic long term so questioning a few quid seems pointless..

ADA at 2.10 this morning, while I have a decent amount I'll buy more soon but its the old question of wait for a correction or just buy more at current price, after all the possibility of $100 is not unrealistic long term so questioning a few quid seems pointless..
    Its always a gamble, it might never get as cheap as this ever again (even come next Bear market given the volume of Ada being staked circa 70%) or we may get some huge market FUD and a big price correction with a dip buying opportunity, personally I'm just staking and DCA'ing in a bit more each week as I have a six figure quantity of Ada already and am planning on a $30 price by 2025/26 and that will be my exit.

Journeyman
    With BTC back above 50K there's so many setups with possibility of revisiting this years highs. To name a few..

ETH
    XRP
    LINK
    RUNE
    LTC

Master
    The end is nigh... But for what?

https://twitter.com/VisaNews/status/...023208969?s=19

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    They say there is going some banking assembly to take place soon where it is highly likely the policy of quantitative easing will be paused. You can simply imagine the consequences of such decision for the crypto industry :( that is why I am looking for new sources of financing like this one.
    Last edited by Owren; 2nd September 2021 at 22:56.