closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: British Museum - Watches & Clocks exhibition

British Museum - Watches & Clocks exhibition

Had a couple of hours spare yesterday and wandered into the British Museum. Didn't realise they had a small watches and clocks section which showed the history of horology and the pursuit of accuracy. There were a few exhibits covering sundials to the importance of pendulums and then introduction of grandfather clocks as a way of housing the mechanism etc etc.

There was one exhibit which absolutely blew me away:

https://imgur.com/pSyYA5E

This particular clock was built in 1725. 1725!!!! This is the description card:

https://imgur.com/g8JAmQ6

The fact that this guy in 1725 had the ability and mindset to build such a thing of beauty with so many complications including celestial ones just left me in awe.

It also puts into perspective that patek philippe were able to put some of these celestial complications into a wristwatch which in itself is mind boggling.

Anyway. Just thought I'd share. It's a permanent exhibit and the BM is free to enter (there's a couple of paid for exhibits) and worth whiling away some time.

EDIT . can't seem to embed the images but the links are clickable and take you to the images
    Last edited by Fas; 3rd November 2017 at 11:39.

Master
    I was in Prague last week and the astronomical clock in the old square is amazing. How clever are the guys that made them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fas View Post
    Had a couple of hours spare yesterday and wandered into the British Museum. Didn't realise they had a small watches and clocks section which showed the history of horology and the pursuit of accuracy. There were a few exhibits covering sundials to the importance of pendulums and then introduction of grandfather clocks as a way of housing the mechanism etc etc.

There was one exhibit which absolutely blew me away:

https://imgur.com/pSyYA5E

This particular clock was built in 1725. 1725!!!! This is the description card:

https://imgur.com/g8JAmQ6

The fact that this guy in 1725 had the ability and mindset to build such a thing of beauty with so many complications including celestial ones just left me in awe.

It also puts into perspective that patek philippe were able to put some of these celestial complications into a wristwatch which in itself is mind boggling.

Anyway. Just thought I'd share. It's a permanent exhibit and the BM is free to enter (there's a couple of paid for exhibits) and worth whiling away some time.

EDIT . can't seem to embed the images but the links are clickable and take you to the images
    Love the way the hour and minute tracks echo the length of the hands. Nice touch.

It's a very interesting exhibition. For Christmas my wife game me the excellent book on the collection of watches.

All (c) The Trustees of the British Museum

Thanks for posting...I didn't realise that the BM had a exhibit on Clocks and Watches (Room 38–39).

I don't suppose that they have all of their clocks on show (searching for 'watch' returns another 7,183 hits), but the that one you posted (1985,1005.1 and pics) is certainly impressive.

A few of the watches that made it to display.