closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steinhart SOTC

Steinhart SOTC

I have my core collection pretty much where I want it but have always had a soft spot for Steinhart and this has resulted in me having almost a sub collection (no pun intended ) of Steinharts. So since there's a good number of people into the brand I thought I would share the SOTC as it stands. Hopefully some examples you haven't come across....

Ok first up from 2007 the generation 1 Ocean Vintage Military with the black dial and 200m depth rating on the dial (as homage to the Rolex, although the watch is actually 300m). Wears great looks great and killer lume. Probably the ultimate beater watch.

Next up the ocean one red - the orig one with the green lume and pale indices. Love this watch-the lack of cyclops and the red text on the dial just works on this one. Not that rare but getting harder to find now.

Ocean one vintage Ltd edition of 200 DLCgnomon issue of 200 pieces. Basically a black DLC version of the ocean one vintage. Don't usually go for black watches but I liked this one. Prefer it on black leather to the bracelet tho

Titanium ocean 500 GMT much discussed watch in these parts, obviously loosely based on the Rolex BLNR with the black/blue bezel, but it's very much its own watch apart from that similarity. It is amazingly comfortable and imho leather is best on this one. I quite like steinhart bracelets for the money, but the titanium one is kinda meh tbh. Bezel has lumed numbers btw so at night it's even more stunning.

Vintage GMT 2 blueberry - Hong Kong issue of 300this one just arrived. Homage to the mega rare Rolex blueberry but with snowflake hands. Some don't like the snowflake on it but it hasn't bothered me since having it. The blue is kind of an electric blue (think Squale 1521), and it's got the new 22/18 tapered bracelet which certainly is an improvement. Having said that I'm trialing it on a Stein rubber strap which works great also

Ocean vintage GMT gunter ltd edition of 50theres been a few incarnations of this McQueen explorer homage. This one came with large box extra straps and case back has Gunter Steinhart's signature on it. It also has the vintage lume and domed acrylic crystal.

Ocean "1" GMT coke 39mmone of the original early 39mm gmts steinhart produced . Fat font bezel numbers and "1" on dial instead of "one". Very comfortable piece and again it's a strap monster. Most comfortable steinhart bracelet probably because of the 20mm width

El Capitan handwindreally don't know too much about this one- have not seen one before or since. Was attracted to the simplicity of the dial and it goes with every strap you throw at it. Unitas handwound movement and keeps great time. Very slim so extremely comfortable

Ocean Pan-Am ltd run of 40 for a Dutch forumone of my favourite steinharts. Looking forward to the summer...the white dial and creamy indices with the Pepsi bezel just look great. Equally at home on leather NATO or steel.

Racetrack valjoux 7750 limited edition of 10Gunter made this very exclusive piece for a small group of friends. They were sold privately to them and never available for sale. Only 10 made so very lucky to find it. It is huge and I mean HUGE - almost ridiculously so, but somehow it works and I don't have large wrists. The dial design and layout/colour scheme is stunning though.

Ocean Black Sea GMT Ltd edition of 111probably my favourite GMT. Love the inner 24 ring in the dial which allows the bezel to be used as a diver bezel. Seems such an obvious way to fuse gmt and diver function. Currently on the leather but again looks great on the steel. Was made for a Russian watch forum who helped design the watch in 2011.

Couple that I did own but have sold are herethe Black Anchor. Just wore too large for me and too much black, and the Mach1. Unusual chunky chrono. Was mint condition but regretfully I sold it.

So that's it. That's where my little brood of Steinharts is at currently. Don't really have plans to expand other than to add a 39mm Pepsi. Hopefully some will enjoy seeing this little collection. They do provide a lot of pleasure to me - easily as much as my Tudors or Omegas. They produce quite a lot of unusual pieces which is often lost on the masses as their identity is forever (and understandably so) linked with Homages.

Thanks for reading (if you got this far )
    Rusty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fabulous collection

I am am fan as well even though I currently don't own one, but that will be fixed in future along with a Fortis B42 carbon dial.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Master
    And where is your Steinhart museum located and the cost of admission? ;-)

Great post. An intriguing brand given it's short life.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

the blueberry gmt is particularly nice. i think the snowflake hands work better on that than the mercedes hands of the original ..
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Nice collection Rusty; the two chronos do it for me.

Oh, and the Pan Am!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Nice collection Rusty; the two chronos do it for me.

Oh, and the Pan Am!
    Yeah the Mach1 no longer here sadly. Mistakes were made lol

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    And where is your Steinhart museum located and the cost of admission? ;-)

Great post. An intriguing brand given it's short life.

Darkest Paisley, and admission free if you know the doorman

Lovely collection, thanks for showing them.

That Racetrack is stunning! I had an Aviation Vintage but sold it to fund other pieces and I've always planned on picking up another, probably not PVD'd this time though, but I am very partial to the case shape.

Must stop putting it off, I'll have another look at the Steinhart website, haven't visited for ages.....

Quote Originally Posted by thefatboy View Post
    Lovely collection, thanks for showing them.

That Racetrack is stunning! I had an Aviation Vintage but sold it to fund other pieces and I've always planned on picking up another, probably not PVD'd this time though, but I am very partial to the case shape.

Must stop putting it off, I'll have another look at the Steinhart website, haven't visited for ages.....
    Happy hunting! The aviation case shape is an acquired taste for sure. The racetrack was originally sold to Gunters friends for €990 I believe

May be some Steinhart less and an original gmt or sub? Just my 0.02...

I like the Ocean Black Sea GMT Ltd edition of 111!

Great collection! I have a Mk1 OVR too... no matter what watch I own, or what it's worth, the OVR is my favourite by far.

Love the Racetrack - I often fancied an aviation chrono but suspect it would look like a clock on my 7" wrist.

Journeyman
    The Blueberry and Titanium ocean are both lovely, I had to go back and read again to confirm that this is just a sub collection...?

I've a suspicion this is a dumb question, so please be gentle: is there a specific reason why the lume on the hands and dial of the 1st generation OVM have different colour lume?

Have Steinhart ever done an Explorer copy? I would imagine the OVM's dial and sword hands in an all-brushed 39mm Explorer-style case being popular.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I have my core collection pretty much where I want it but have always had a soft spot for Steinhart.....

Thanks for reading (if you got this far )
    Rusty

A stunning collection!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I've a suspicion this is a dumb question, so please be gentle: is there a specific reason why the lume on the hands and dial of the 1st generation OVM have different colour lume?

Have Steinhart ever done an Explorer copy? I would imagine the OVM's dial and sword hands in an all-brushed 39mm Explorer-style case being popular.
    I suspect this was a production batch error. I can't see a difference in my watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post

Don't think they've done an explorer copy. Re the lume yes there seems a slight disparity between hands and indices. Watch is 10 yrs old now. Perhaps applied in diff thicknesses causes it. Not really noticeable irl tho.

Steinhart SOTC

Quote Originally Posted by Cptnbignose View Post
    The Blueberry and Titanium ocean are both lovely, I had to go back and read again to confirm that this is just a sub collection...?
    Yeah there's 13 others (non steinhart) and a few vintages I have. Just figured a SOTC of only the Steins might be fun. Main rest of the collection is here and prob of more interest to some. I'm happy with both sides of the coin tbh

Last edited by RustyBin5; 2nd November 2017 at 16:48.

Quote Originally Posted by rhjj View Post
    May be some Steinhart less and an original gmt or sub? Just my 0.02...

I like the Ocean Black Sea GMT Ltd edition of 111!
    Maybe one day . I need to figure how to get the funds together for a Glasshutte first!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Watch is 10 yrs old now.
    Are you sure? I thought I bought an OVM on launch and it was October 2011.
    interesting collection, I have to say I do like them. I just can't get on with the 42mm case, it's too big for me.
    I really wish they'd do the 'Pan-Am' in the newer 39mm size, I'd be very tempted to order one of those. The MkII would be appealing too, but I'm not deranged enough to order one of those...!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    interesting collection, I have to say I do like them. I just can't get on with the 42mm case, it's too big for me.
    I really wish they'd do the 'Pan-Am' in the newer 39mm size, I'd be very tempted to order one of those. The MkII would be appealing too, but I'm not deranged enough to order one of those...!!
    Try a Ginault. Perfect proportions for us slim-wristed types.... ;-)

hard to argue with that

Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    Hmm must go check my papers. Ta

Craftsman
    Nice collection! Only an Ocean One for me so far but looking for another Steinhart to add to the small collection. Big fan of the ocean 1 vintage dual time

Master
    Interesting, new one on me. Thanks.
    I have fairly slim wrists, but I think it was the lug-to-lug that was more of a problem. I'm wearing a Pelagos at the moment, so size isn't such a problem (Oooh Matron!), just something that didn't suit my wrist so well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jamestmusic View Post
    Nice collection! Only an Ocean One for me so far but looking for another Steinhart to add to the small collection. Big fan of the ocean 1 vintage dual time

This is one of my favourites.

Gorgeous

Craftsman

I really like that one myself, lovely looking watch and finding it hard to keep my fingers of the add to basket button.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    I really like that one myself, lovely looking watch and finding it hard to keep my fingers of the add to basket button.
    Why bother resisting? ;-)
    I wore it on holiday this year. Looked even more gorgeous in the sun and sea.

Craftsman
    Why bother resisting? ;-)
    I wore it on holiday this year. Looked even more gorgeous in the sun and sea.

If I had the funds readily available, I wouldn’t hesitate in buying.

That’s a great Steinhart collection, Rusty.

Ironically the only two I own are ones that you don’t have... my trusty Ocean 44 ( generally on this generic rubber strap)

and a slightly older Marine Chronometer II on BOB tan leather

Both great value for the price point imo.

Thanks for sharing.

Simon

Good to see some different Steinharts.

That Racetrack LE looks great!

No Apollon though?

M

Stunning collection Rusty and well done. If Steinhart can make GMTs without a cyclops why can't others.

To answer an earlier point on early Military watches, nearly all the watches before 2010/2011 have a slight variation in tone between the hands and the dial. If you buy one of the later watches 2012 onwards until the Mark 2 came in the match is perfect. Sad I know, but I can tell the age of the watch just buy looking at the dial.

Have you seen this Rusty:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steinhart...sAAOSwk~ZZ9IBh

Another one for the collection perhaps.

Craftsman
    Really do like the value that Steinhart offer, and that's an excellent collection you have. I'm guessing you've never thought that you should have bought a few Tudors rather than so many Steinharts? Seems to be a thought many people have when they have many cheaper watches, but you do have many more expensive pieces too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Stunning collection Rusty and well done. If Steinhart can make GMTs without a cyclops why can't others.

To answer an earlier point on early Military watches, nearly all the watches before 2010/2011 have a slight variation in tone between the hands and the dial. If you buy one of the later watches 2012 onwards until the Mark 2 came in the match is perfect. Sad I know, but I can tell the age of the watch just buy looking at the dial.

Have you seen this Rusty:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steinhart...sAAOSwk~ZZ9IBh

Another one for the collection perhaps.
    Yes I saw it but the seller won't listen to reason - insists that postage will be 180€. Told him that he just has to use global shipping program and then the responsibility is all eBay's, but he's having none of it. Gorgeous watch too

Quote Originally Posted by jalebi View Post
    Really do like the value that Steinhart offer, and that's an excellent collection you have. I'm guessing you've never thought that you should have bought a few Tudors rather than so many Steinharts? Seems to be a thought many people have when they have many cheaper watches, but you do have many more expensive pieces too.
    I had 5 Tudors and one Stein. But just always liked them so have embarked on building a collection of the more unusual ones that I liked. The Tudors remain and aren't going anywhere - I love them.

Craftsman
    This is my Steinhart, wear it most days.

Last edited by Andrew S; 3rd November 2017 at 14:03.

Grand Master
    I think i might need a ti ocean
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I'm looking for a GMT at the moment & this 'Vintage GMT 2 blueberry - Hong Kong issue of 300' is absolutely lovely.

Great collection BTW

Quote Originally Posted by 97BlackC5 View Post
    I'm looking for a GMT at the moment & this 'Vintage GMT 2 blueberry - Hong Kong issue of 300' is absolutely lovely.

Great collection BTW
    Thanks. For some reason Steinhart's gmt offerings seem to be some of their nicest pieces