closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Christopher Ward releases

Craftsman

New Christopher Ward releases

Saw these mentioned on a couple of other watch forums.

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/watches/new-releases

Bronze Trident

Looks quite good, but I'm not a huge fan of how bronze watches age.

The normal Trident is available in Orange now:

The colour is not for me, but looks okay.

New Trident limted edition:

Really like this one, looks sexy in the pics and potentially better in person.

A new single pusher chronograph LE:

Looks alright, but an absolutely laughable price of £2950. And the logo looks completely out of place.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by jalebi View Post

Thoughts?

Not to my tastes but likely will appeal to Carpet Warehouse fans.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I think they offer great value, but I will indeed wait for a half price sale!

I really like the bronze Trident, I feel the same though I'm not keen on the way it ages

Journeyman
    I don't own any Chris Ward watches but do like the brand overall. I like the limited trident in blue but as said, nearly £3k is steep...!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Been mentioned on a few forums, the "divers" watch is apparently their biggest seller so stands to reason there will be a million and one variants of it. I think they missed the boat with the bronze thing though the single pusher chronograph looks quite nice, not for that price though. 3k I am sure its one of their "Bespoke" Movements (Wasn't a couple of their bespoke movements also found with a few other watch companies?)

Even as a small company at 3k they are competing with Damasko, Sinn, Nomos etc.......

Master
    Love that bronze.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

if CW released their watches with no logo/sterile dials I'd actually be tempted to buy one

Craftsman
    Isn’t that one of the old logos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Not a fan.

There's too many variants of their models, it starts to look a bit 'fossil-y' to me after a while.

Craftsman
    I still can't believe they put that "logo" on anything other than Bauhaus copies.

I had a couple of CW watches for a bit. They're not badly made. They didn't stay with me long tho.

Master
    I’m quite tempted by the C65 Vintage on a bracelet. Domed sapphire, crown guards, sensible size for a cuff. Waiting on a sale/promotion though before pulling the trigger!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by domwells View Post
    Isn’t that one of the old logos?

Give it 12 months and it probably will be.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Good effort from CW but prices are ludicrous! Wait till next years sale 50% discount.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    You might wait a long time.

It seems that this forum expects every model to be in a half price sale every 6 months, when in fact models are only ever heavily discounted after a couple of years when they are discontinued, so not that dissimilar to a whole host of in store brands in that sense.

In sales, 15% would be about right for the divers if they aare in the sale at all. As mentioned above they're their best seller and they don't always feel the need to bother.

£3000 is very expensive but that's the game we're in. If you put it into context, I can't think of a single company in recent years that have produced a limited edition, heavily modded, Unitas 6497 base single pusher chronograph for anything like that sort of money. And by heavily modded I mean totally changed, not just some blued screws added and a nice pattern etched in.

Yes, it's not a cheap watch, but it's far from being ludicrously overpriced when compared to brands of a similar quality.

Quote Originally Posted by coldwarkid View Post
    You might wait a long time.

It seems that this forum expects every model to be in a half price sale every 6 months, when in fact models are only ever heavily discounted after a couple of years when they are discontinued, so not that dissimilar to a whole host of in store brands in that sense.

In sales, 15% would be about right for the divers if they aare in the sale at all. As mentioned above they're their best seller and they don't always feel the need to bother.

£3000 is very expensive but that's the game we're in. If you put it into context, I can't think of a single company in recent years that have produced a limited edition, heavily modded, Unitas 6497 base single pusher chronograph for anything like that sort of money. And by heavily modded I mean totally changed, not just some blued screws added and a nice pattern etched in.

Yes, it's not a cheap watch, but it's far from being ludicrously overpriced when compared to brands of a similar quality.
    I don’t recall their last mono pusher ever being discounted. Most that go at 40% are either returned stock or end of the line sales.

Edit***

I can think of Damasko who brought out their own movement or Nomos as two examples of companies with nicer looking stuff for less money. Tourby do a modified Unitas that looks a lot better for less likewise Dornbluth but for a bit more. Sinn have plenty of nicer looking chronograph watches Hanhart modify theirs for under 2k
    Last edited by robert75; 2nd November 2017 at 13:32.

But Brand Equity isn't simply about material.

Master
    As mentioned elsewhere, I bought one of the first generation Trident GMT watches with the original logo - it's a thoroughly derivative but lovable and very reliable big lump of a watch that has travelled all over the world with me. I've since failed to see anything else from CW that has interested me, and the unfortunate mucking about with the brand identity hasn't helped endear me any further, regardless of models or design aesthetic. I don't see anything here that will change my view...

SGR

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I don’t recall their last mono pusher ever being discounted. Most that go at 40% are either returned stock or end of the line sales.

Edit***

I can think of Damasko who brought out their own movement or Nomos as two examples of companies with nicer looking stuff for less money. Tourby do a modified Unitas that looks a lot better for less likewise Dornbluth but for a bit more. Sinn have plenty of nicer looking chronograph watches Hanhart modify theirs for under 2k
    I may be wrong but I didn't think any of those do a single pusher chrono?

I agree that £3000 is pushing it for a CW watch that isn't totally in-house but my point was if you compare like for like, rather than saying here's a different watch that I prefer for less money, then it isn't as ludicrously priced as other brands.

Craftsman
    But Brand Equity isn't simply about material.
    Very true and if you compare them to Omega and Rolex there's absolutely no completion. They get beaten hands down in every single department, but I consider them more on a par with Oris, Longines and Damasko and history aside, they hold up very well against them.

I may be wrong but I didn't think any of those do a single pusher chrono?

I agree that £3000 is pushing it for a CW watch that isn't totally in-house but my point was if you compare like for like, rather than saying here's a different watch that I prefer for less money, then it isn't as ludicrously priced as other brands.
    They don’t, Longines did though and it was cheaper than CW, grey market a lot cheaper.

Very true and if you compare them to Omega and Rolex there's absolutely no completion. They get beaten hands down in every single department, but I consider them more on a par with Oris, Longines and Damasko and history aside, they hold up very well against them.
    But when I raised those brands for comparison you dismissed them.

Longines colum wheel chronograph watches are cheaper than CW, Damaskos in house movement cheaper. Longines have history and heritage Damasko have technology and innovation CW have a car crash of name changes and brand miss direction.

I have owned several but now at a point I won’t again, forget the tired DFS/Carpet warehouse joke which sounds like the bloke in the pub repeating the same thing over and over hoping someone finally laughs they need to get their act together or they will be more like the Rotary of the internet.

Craftsman
    Honestly, I'd rather have a Halios than a CW all day long. Seriously tempted by a Seaforth at the moment with a 12 hour bezel.

Master
    The logo just looks crap. Completely ruins them, especially on this style of watch. Bauhaus maybe, diver certainly not

not for me, the "Christopher ward" logo at the 9 position just looks terrible

Yet another logo design. Baffling. Pick a logo and stick to it!!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyRoses View Post
    Honestly, I'd rather have a Halios than a CW all day long. Seriously tempted by a Seaforth at the moment with a 12 hour bezel.
    Love the seaforth, but they always appear sold out!! and do they ship to the uk?

Scottie

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stiver3 View Post
    I don't own any Chris Ward watches but do like the brand overall. I like the limited trident in blue but as said, nearly £3k is steep...!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    The Blue Trident isn't £3000, that's the single pusher. The trident seems to be £710, less £100 for the voucher = £610. Not a bad price...I'm tempted, because I don't think this LE will ever hit the 50% sales.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    But when I raised those brands for comparison you dismissed them.

Longines colum wheel chronograph watches are cheaper than CW, Damaskos in house movement cheaper. Longines have history and heritage Damasko have technology and innovation CW have a car crash of name changes and brand miss direction.

I have owned several but now at a point I won’t again, forget the tired DFS/Carpet warehouse joke which sounds like the bloke in the pub repeating the same thing over and over hoping someone finally laughs they need to get their act together or they will be more like the Rotary of the internet.
    I didn't mean to come across as dismissive.
    I just felt it wasn't comparative, although I suppose very little is, across brands.

I like Longines as a brand and Damasko does nothing for me but at any price point I prefer what CW are doing to either of those brands current line up.

I have to agree with the branding fiasco though. I don't like a Squale or Hamilton branding but I hardly notice it because they've got their design and they stick to it.

Very true and if you compare them to Omega and Rolex there's absolutely no competition.
    But they beat Tudor.

Craftsman
    I've got to admit though, I do really like some of Tudor designs, especially the Palegos and Heritage. Well and truly out of my price range though at the moment.

- - - Updated - - -

I've got to admit though, I do really like some of Tudor designs, especially the Palegos and Heritage. Well and truly out of my price range though at the moment.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    But they beat Tudor.

I'll take the Tudor any day.

The new logo of theirs makes them look like a Debenhams own brand.

Journeyman

New Christopher Ward releases

I know that they're not everyone's cup of tea as a brand, but they constantly send me magazines, one of which came today, and on the cover was a very nice bronze Trident 600 with a blue canvas strap.
    Looked quite nice for £700 automatic at 42mm.

I'm in agreement on the new logo side of things. I personally like the ChrWard logo the best.

I do like the bronze but 43mm is too big particularly for a light colour bezel.

42mm or less please CW.

Wow thread resurrection

Since this thread we have had another CW logo...

Craftsman
    Deleted
    Last edited by Bobbyf; 4th November 2017 at 10:14.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ajpac View Post
    I'll take the Tudor any day.
    It’s interesting isn’t it.
    If we looked at the comparison chart above but kept the two brands secret, most of us would look at the specs alone and say that the watch on the left is the better watch.
    Obviously aesthetics and personal taste come into it but I think it’s a fair bet that people choose the Tudor over the CW purely because they dislike the branding/logo etc. Even though it’s technically a better watch.
    So, if CW sorted their branding issues out, would they suddenly become a forum favourite? Or is it too late for them?

Well, I like the strap on the last watch!