closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Roughly how much to repair gold rings? Cut off after broken knuckle - ouch!

Craftsman

Roughly how much to repair gold rings? Cut off after broken knuckle - ouch!

My wife somehow contrived to catch her ring finger in a closing door which has resulted in a fracture. The staff at A&E had to cut her rings (engagement, wedding and eternity) off before giving her an X-ray.

I think they can be repaired, I guess they are soldered back together? Can this be done by a high street jeweller with a workshop, or are they typically sent off somewhere? Anyone know roughly what the costs are?

Thanks in advance!

Craftsman
    It depends how carefully they where removed, if they used a ring cutter and only had 1 go at it then it should not be too bad

If they had a few slips or used pliers then the shank can get quite damaged

The price depends on what carat gold, thickness and colour

Also it’s usually prudent to wait a good few weeks to let any swelling go down else you may be making them smaller again in 6 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    My wife somehow contrived to catch her ring finger in a closing door which has resulted in a fracture. The staff at A&E had to cut her rings (engagement, wedding and eternity) off before giving her an X-ray.

I think they can be repaired, I guess they are soldered back together? Can this be done by a high street jeweller with a workshop, or are they typically sent off somewhere? Anyone know roughly what the costs are?

Thanks in advance!
    Mom passed away earlier this year and a couple of her gold rings had to be cut off, my local jeweller sent them away to be repaired, cost was around £35.00 each, came back looking like new.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    It depends how carefully they where removed, if they used a ring cutter and only had 1 go at it then it should not be too bad

If they had a few slips or used pliers then the shank can get quite damaged

The price depends on what carat gold, thickness and colour

Also it’s usually prudent to wait a good few weeks to let any swelling go down else you may be making them smaller again in 6 weeks
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Mom passed away earlier this year and a couple of her gold rings had to be cut off, my local jeweller sent them away to be repaired, cost was around £35.00 each, came back looking like new.
    Thanks for the quick replies.

I wasn't there, she described the tool as having a manually operated serrated little wheel, a bit like a miniature old fashioned tin opener. Hopefully not too much damage. Good point about waiting a while.

£35 or thereabouts is OK, I was fearing rather more!

Craftsman
    That sounds like the correct tool and let’s hope they haven’t slipped

Being honest I think £35 per ring would be your starting point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Have a word with Adam:

https://www.watchcaseworks.co.uk

I've seen his work first hand many times and it is unbelievable. It won't be £35 but it will be the best job you're going to get.

Grand Master
    10 years ago I had a 9ct gold ring that I struggled to get on and off because my knuckles had swollen slightly with age. Whilst working on a car I scraped a big lump of skin off my finger close to the ring, and the wound started to become infected after a couple of days so I had no choice but to cut the ring off. I slid a feeler gauge under the ring and proceeded to use a thin cutting disc in a dremel. This worked nicely, I took the ring to a local jeweller and had it repaired . The end result was fine and it didn’t cost a lot.

It’s a mistake to keep wearing a ring that can’t be removed easily. Fingers swell and change as we age, and it pays to have rings altered to suit. Another lesson I learned the hard way!

Last year I got stung by a wasp on my ring finger, first thing I did was to remove the ring before the finger swelled. Not always the first thing that springs to mind, but if a ring finger gets hurt it’s vital to get the ring off ASAP.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 1st November 2017 at 22:21.

Master
    Blog Entries
    On the basis of this, I've just tried to remove my wedding ring. No chance 😳. Might pop in and see Adam myself!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    On the basis of this, I've just tried to remove my wedding ring. No chance . Might pop in and see Adam myself!
    Try it when your hands are really cold, use washing up liquid as lubricant, and twist the ring whilst pulling. If this doesn’t work get the feeler gauges and dremel out!

Paul

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Try it when your hands are really cold, use washing up liquid as lubricant, and twist the ring whilst pulling. If this doesn’t work get the feeler gauges and dremel out!

Paul
    I was planning on sticking my hand in the fridge for half an hour. Trouble is, I stuck my hand in and immediately came out with a chicken ball from last night's Chinese. I'm doomed for a life of fat fingers and an immobile wedding ring.

On the basis of this, I've just tried to remove my wedding ring. No chance . Might pop in and see Adam myself!
    Mine slips off quite easily, but I'll go and see Adams just in case. Is he cute?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Mine slips off quite easily, but I'll go and see Adams just in case. Is he cute?
    Dreamy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Paul
    But does use the 25 thou one as that's really useful.

Master
    On the basis of this, I've just tried to remove my wedding ring. No chance . Might pop in and see Adam myself!
    Try this technique first Dave.

https://youtu.be/kGGwX2lY4rc

I was planning on sticking my hand in the fridge for half an hour. Trouble is, I stuck my hand in and immediately came out with a chicken ball from last night's Chinese. I'm doomed for a life of fat fingers and an immobile wedding ring.
    😳😆