closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedmaster Stopped Working

Speedmaster Stopped Working

Afternoon guys,

My Speedie stopped working yesterday. It needed a wind, so I did so as usual. About an hour later whilst shopping I noticed it had stopped. About 20 or so minutes had elapsed since I wound it. Annoyingly it is only about 2 1/2 years old and therefore out of warranty.

I know it can’t really be diagnosed without a professional taking a look, but any thoughts on what it could be?

This is my only luxury watch and I have no experience of sending a watch off for servicing / repairs. What are my options and what sort of costs am I looking at? Is it best to have Omega take care of it? I know this will be more costly.

We all love our Speedie’s and I’ve not read a lot about them having problems, so I’m hoping this is just one of them things.

Cheers guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Personally I would try one of the watch repairers on the forum, might be a very simple fix.

Enquire with omega UK they will look at your individual situation and may take pity that you are just outside warranty.zenith years ago did a repair free of charge for me which involved replacing a sapphire glass and full movement service......anyone with experience of how omega behaves in this situation?

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Current Chronograph service cost via Omega is £520.00 inc vat. I would guess that most of their Authorised Service Centres will quote this price too.

I've used Swiss Time Services near Southend previously. They do a really good job but it will be close to the full service price above.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Current Chronograph service cost via Omega is £520.00 inc vat. I would guess that most of their Authorised Service Centres will quote this price too.

I've used Swiss Time Services near Southend previously. They do a really good job but it will be close to the full service price above.
    STS are an Omega authorised repair centre. Unless they have put their prices up in the past couple of weeks, they are presently rather cheaper than OSC Southampton for a modern Omega chronograph service, nearer £425 vs the £520 Omega charge. Still pricey but a bit less so than OSC, the work is just as good if not better.

Cheers for the posts people. I might pop into the Omega boutique in the Bull Ring tomorrow and have a chat with them.

Master
    Write to the shop where you purchased, with signed-for delivery, pointing out that the "Consumer Rights Act 2015" sets out that goods should last a reasonable length of time.

As 2 1/2 years is not reasonable for an Omega Swiss watch purchased new, state that you are expecting them to undertake a repair at their cost and give them 10 working days to respond on next steps.

If they get clever, write to the retailer's head office on the same basis. If you (part) paid for the watch by Credit Card, write to them too as being jointly liable.
    Last edited by J J Carter; 22nd October 2017 at 18:53.

Grand Master
    Wrong advice.....the lot of you, you never learn! The forums heavy on barrack-room lawyers and very light on technical know-how!

Find a watch repairer who's willing to have a look and fix it. It's out of warranty so there's no need to deal with Omega. At 2.5 yrs old there wonm`t be any issues with case seals or the crown seal etc, it's a straightforward movement stripdown to see what's wrong. I`d bet on the mainspring havin broken unless the OP's not telling us the full story and he's dropped it on a tiled floor.

I`m not volunteering, my time is now spent solely on my own collection and restoration projects (I much prefer it this way) but someone like Brendan (Webwatchmaker) could sort this and I`m sure the cost will be reasonable.

Pound to a penny says it's a broken mainspring (unless he's dropped it) and that's a feasible part-repair on a watch this age.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 22nd October 2017 at 21:20.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Write to the shop where you purchased, with signed-for delivery, pointing out that the "Consumer Rights Act 2015" sets out that goods should last a reasonable length of time.

As 2 1/2 years is not reasonable for an Omega Swiss watch purchased new, state that you are expecting them to undertake a repair at their cost and give them 10 working days to respond on next steps.

If they get clever, write to the retailer's head office on the same basis. If you (part) paid for the watch by Credit Card, write to them too as being jointly liable.
    Absolute rubbish. The watch is out of warranty, he may have dropped it, who knows? It's his watch, his responsibility, he needs to get it fixed.

Master
    How did you know how much time had passed if your watch had stopped!

Sorry

Must say, I'd be disappointed if a watch of this quality developed a problem 'this young'.

Whilst Omega may not have any real responsibility to cover/part-cover the costs, I think it might be worth asking them?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    Must say, I'd be disappointed if a watch of this quality developed a problem 'this young'.

Whilst Omega may not have any real responsibility to cover/part-cover the costs, I think it might be worth asking them?
    I am.

I think my first port of call will be Omega. You don’t get if you don’t ask!

Craftsman

if that works for a watch out of warranty i'll eat my shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by td1596 View Post
    if that works for a watch out of warranty i'll eat my shoes!
    I don't have much of an understanding of these things, but wouldn't it be reasonable to expect that a watch costing several thousands of pounds make it to three years without a significant problem?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post

I think it might be worth asking very politely but with a slight edge of disappointment at the place you bought it.

Years ago I dropped my zenith elite onto the carpet and to watch in horror as the strap/buckle performed a whiplash and smashed into the glass display back....the watch required a new sapphire back and full service as shards of glass were floating inside.After sending it to zenith UK for a quote imagine my surprise when I got a "we called with a parcel but you weren't in) through the post...My watch came back as new with a receipt saying as a gesture of goodwill,free of charge repair.This is service beyond any of my expectations and I hold zenith in the highest regard after such a gesture.Contact omega and tell them it's your prized possession and how unhappy you are and keep us posted - No company likes bad publicity and hopefully they will come through for you.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Master

Not this

I think it might be worth asking very politely but with a slight edge of disappointment at the place you bought it.
    More like this, adding that you'd expect a five quid Quartz watch from the garage to fail in this time frame, not a three grand premium brand watch.....you may get lucky.

Master

Great Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    Years ago I dropped my zenith elite onto the carpet and to watch in horror as the strap/buckle performed a whiplash and smashed into the glass display back....the watch required a new sapphire back and full service as shards of glass were floating inside.After sending it to zenith UK for a quote imagine my surprise when I got a "we called with a parcel but you weren't in) through the post...My watch came back as new with a receipt saying as a gesture of goodwill,free of charge repair.This is service beyond any of my expectations and I hold zenith in the highest regard after such a gesture.Contact omega and tell them it's your prized possession and how unhappy you are and keep us posted - No company likes bad publicity and hopefully they will come through for you.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
    Now that's great customer service. Probably means you'll never look anywhere else when considering a new time piece (?)

Update.

So I’ve been to see my guy in the AD and he is optimistic of getting it fixed as if it were under warranty. Obviously it came with the caveat of ‘no promises’ but I’ve got my fingers crossed at least.

I shall keep you posted.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    there wonm`t be any issues with case seals or the crown seal etc,
    Hopefully, but not always true.

Pound to a penny says it's a broken mainspring (unless he's dropped it) and that's a feasible part-repair on a watch this age.
    If you shake the watch side to side gently without the chrono engaged the sub second hand would potentially ride backwards if this was the case. Unlikely as it seems to run for short periods of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Generous John View Post
    Afternoon guys,

My Speedie stopped working yesterday. It needed a wind, so I did so as usual. About an hour later whilst shopping I noticed it had stopped. About 20 or so minutes had elapsed since I wound it. Annoyingly it is only about 2 1/2 years old and therefore out of warranty.

I know it can’t really be diagnosed without a professional taking a look, but any thoughts on what it could be?

This is my only luxury watch and I have no experience of sending a watch off for servicing / repairs. What are my options and what sort of costs am I looking at? Is it best to have Omega take care of it? I know this will be more costly.

We all love our Speedie’s and I’ve not read a lot about them having problems, so I’m hoping this is just one of them things.

Cheers guys

If you adjust the time, does the watch start running again? Then stop minutes or hours later?

If so, it could be a lubrication problem where it wasn't oiled correctly in the factory or you're just been unlucky. On the other hand if it's suddenly become a total non runner, then it's more likely that something has broken or become unscrewed.

These things are far from infallible. Many people get emotional because of the amount of money that these things cost and the need to reinforce that they made the right decision buying one, especially as the prices have risen. It just happens, a bit like German made cars that break down more often than cheaper alternatives.

If you're unable to get a gesture of goodwill you'll be looking at the cost of a service though it probably won't need much in the way of parts.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    If you adjust the time, does the watch start running again? Then stop minutes or hours later?

If so, it could be a lubrication problem where it wasn't oiled correctly in the factory or you're just been unlucky. On the other hand if it's suddenly become a total non runner, then it's more likely that something has broken or become unscrewed.

These things are far from infallible. Many people get emotional because of the amount of money that these things cost and the need to reinforce that they made the right decision buying one, especially as the prices have risen. It just happens, a bit like German made cars that break down more often than cheaper alternatives.

If you're unable to get a gesture of goodwill you'll be looking at the cost of a service though it probably won't need much in the way of parts.

No. When I set the time the second hand moves the same direction I am winding, although that even stopped eventually. When I click the crown back in, nothing happens.

I’m obviously disappointed but I know that these things happen with expensive mechanical watches. It’s just one of those things I think.

For everyone’s info, Goldsmiths quoted £555 for a full Omega service.

No. When I set the time the second hand moves the same direction I am winding, although that even stopped eventually. When I click the crown back in, nothing happens.

I’m obviously disappointed but I know that these things happen with expensive mechanical watches. It’s just one of those things I think.

For everyone’s info, Goldsmiths quoted £555 for a full Omega service.

Goldsmiths serviced my Omega chrono once, didn't do the work any cheaper but pursuaded me that they would be faster than Omega and the same standard. Within 18 months I had faults. Also my case back was scratched in transit and the shop manager argued with me calling me a liar.

Assuming that you get no where with the retailer / gesture of goodwill, I'd either send it to Omega direct or find a trusted independent, hoping that it'll be a simple fault.

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    Goldsmiths serviced my Omega chrono once, didn't do the work any cheaper but pursuaded me that they would be faster than Omega and the same standard. Within 18 months I had faults. Also my case back was scratched in transit and the shop manager argued with me calling me a liar.

Assuming that you get no where with the retailer / gesture of goodwill, I'd either send it to Omega direct or find a trusted independent, hoping that it'll be a simple fault.

Sorry, perhaps my previous wasn’t clear. The £555 is a proper service undertaken by Omega. Goldsmiths have my watch now and are sending it to Omega. Hopefully they do the work as if it were under warranty, if not, I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it.

To put a bit more meat on the bone, the watch did go back to Omega whilst under warranty for a very minor clasp issue. Hopefully this will work in my favour and the AD said they’ll point this out.

Master
    Sorry, perhaps my previous wasn’t clear. The £555 is a proper service undertaken by Omega. Goldsmiths have my watch now and are sending it to Omega. Hopefully they do the work as if it were under warranty, if not, I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it.

To put a bit more meat on the bone, the watch did go back to Omega whilst under warranty for a very minor clasp issue. Hopefully this will work in my favour and the AD said they’ll point this out.

So Goldsmiths margin in this is £35.00 assuming that Omega don’t do it as a goodwill gesture.

Fingers crossed that you’re looked after by Omega.

I hope Omega sort this for you and you don't get landed with the bill.

If Goldsmiths sold you the watch then I would start with them like you have as they probably have some sway with Omega. If they don’t help then you can appeal to Omega still of course. I too would hope they sort it out under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Strongly advise the OP to ask exactly what is wrong with the watch and why it's given problems after such a short time. This may take some persistence but it's a question that demands an answer given the price of the watch and the expectation that it should run for several years without problems.

My original assumption on seeing this thread was that the watch is a hand- wound Speedy Pro, which is more likely ( albeit not very likely) to suffer mainspring failure than an automatic. However, as is often the case with these threads, the OP hasn't given clear information.

Paul

My original assumption on seeing this thread was that the watch is a hand- wound Speedy Pro, which is more likely ( albeit not very likely) to suffer mainspring failure than an automatic. However, as is often the case with these threads, the OP hasn't given clear information.

Paul
    Correct. I’ve never dropped it and I work in an office, so the watch doesn’t get overly bashed around or anything.

I recently had my speedmaster legend serviced by Brendan for c.£350 iirc and he was great - very informative and a delight to deal with (even if I was a tad brusque as I was away with on business that week). Thoroughly recommend him in 2.5 years when this happens again...

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Scott View Post
    Thoroughly recommend him in 2.5 years when this happens again...

Nooooo. Don’t say it!

Update.

Omega have said they will carry out the work under warranty. Chuffed!

Grand Master
    Update.

Omega have said they will carry out the work under warranty. Chuffed!

Result!

I’d still be very curious to know what was wrong if it was my watch. As a general rule, a watch will run for several years if it’s put together properly and oiled correctly.

Paul

Result!

I’d still be very curious to know what was wrong if it was my watch. As a general rule, a watch will run for several years if it’s put together properly and oiled correctly.

Paul
    Yeah I am. I assume that they will advise what was wrong with it. I’ll certainly be asking!

Blog Entries
    Yeah I am. I assume that they will advise what was wrong with it. I’ll certainly be asking!

In my experience Omega often returns changed out parts. When my X-33 was serviced they returned all the pushers / screws / springs / washers. Darned if I can find them now though! Martyn

Very pleased with your result, which shows the big players can still provide service over and above sometimes. Plus it does a lot of their PR.
    It's just a matter of time...

Very good, I’ve heard that Omega have changed their approach towards After Sales. This type of response is what they must be referring to which is great. Omega don’t make their money on services but on sales of watches. If making you feel great about the first need for work outside a warranty period, when many would simply refuse is a big win for them and us as owners and potential customers.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Good of them to do that. I think it really behooves watch brands to act in this way. It can't cost them a great deal to do, yet would restore one's faith in them and make repeat purchase far more likely than if they had just washed their hands of the issue.
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 4th November 2017 at 10:47.

Master
    Great result and gives me a mental tick for the brand. A smart and honorable decision.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Is there a chance they may say after inspection that it has taken a knock and include a quote for repair?