closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A mistake? Car Content.

Master

A mistake? Car Content.

My wife had a 2015 Mini Cooper S Convertible and I had a new 1500 mile MX5 Mk4 1'5 Sports Nav. To cut a long story short, we are both getting on in years and were finding the Mini very hard suspension wise even on non flat tyres. The Mazda was fine but getting in and out a pain. Then why did we need two cars, yes the four seats on the Mini made sense when we had the dog, but he has now gone, so that was no longer requirement.

The decision was made, the requirement, two seats, convertible and easy access, boulevard cruiser rather then boy racer, and not break the bank. Low annual mileage, usual shopping trips etc, and every couple of months for a 600 mile dash to Brighton.

So looked at all the usual and ended up swapping both cars for a 800 mile pre reg Mercedes SLC 250D AMG Line. All the extras plus three year package and paint protection thrown in. Incidentally both our cars had been bought as pre reg, saving together about £8,000, the SLC was £9000 under retail.

Really pleased until........Step Son-in- Law told us that we should have bought the petrol version as our usage would ruin a Diesel engine.........will it?

Modern diesels like to get hot, as long as it gets a run now and again it will be fine.

Craftsman
    Get a new son in law, he is talking rubbish. We have a Honda CRV diesel new in 2013, has now done just 30k, engine is fine. What is true is, with your mileage you probably won't get the benefit from Diesel as they suit higher milages in respect of making them viable compared with a petrol. But who cares, if you like it, go with it

Use decent fuel and as one garage told me 'drive it like it's stolen' now and then.

As above - with an occasional long run and decent fuel, it'll be fine

Master
    The car will have nearly 3 years warranty remaining... why worry.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    yep, kingstepper is correct, 'drive it like you stole it' now and again, I do it with the van.

The reason I suspect he said go for the petrol version is 1 it is cheaper and 2 you don't need to worry about the DPF clogging due to short journeys.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

You may as well enjoy a big heavy car fitted with a diesel engine while you can.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Some DPFs do clog, yes, but the Mercedes 250 engine isn't especially known for it.

Maybe after 10 years of 3000 miles a year town driving it might become an issue (though I doubt it) but I wonder how long you're planning on keeping the car. And if, as you say, you'll be doing a 600 mile drive every couple of months - ideal for burning off clag - I think you'll be fine.

Plus the engine's rather nice, whereas the equivalent petrol is rather less so, in my experience.

Master
    Much relieved, thanks for the responses.

I did regret selling the Mini and the Mazda but a more sedate mode of transport seems appropriate.

untitled-33 by Brian Tompkins, on Flickr

It still begs the question, why buy a 2-seat sports car with a tractor engine, especially if you're only pootling to the shops?

EDIT: Sorry, I should have also said it looks stunning in that grey

I think it’s a lovely car and you’ll enjoy it regardless of which engine you got. Some diesels are known for having DPF issues but a 2.5 litre engine should be fine. It’s usually for the smaller diesels. Enjoy it!

Master
    Thanks to all. Had the top down this afternoon for the first time. Very nice and the SCARF works well. :)

Banned
    That is one stunning car , diesel or not . Too be honest Diesel engines have massively improved and are not really the tractor engines people think they are

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by charlies View Post
    That is one stunning car , diesel or not . Too be honest Diesel engines have massively improved and are not really the tractor engines people think they are

Diesel engines are only horrible when they’re made to be too economical. I have a 2017 bmw 116d and it sounds like a tractor on the drive. The last one I had which was a 2014 116d was exactly the same. I know someone with a 330d and it’s much, much quieter than mine at idle. The 1.6 just rattles. Reason I’ve had two is it’s a company car, I don’t have a choice. Anything diesel with a decent size engine will be lovely.

Master
    I note 75% of SLCs sold are diesel.

Apprentice
    Don' think you should worry about it anytime soon

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I think it’s a lovely car and you’ll enjoy it regardless of which engine you got. Some diesels are known for having DPF issues but a 2.5 litre engine should be fine. It’s usually for the smaller diesels. Enjoy it!
    Isn't it still the twin turbo 2.1 engine?

Mine's getting a little noisy now but it has done over 130,000 miles. ( In a big, heavy E class)

My wife got a 10 month old VW diesel Sharan that had been a VW staff car. It hadn’t done many miles and after a few weeks, the DPF light came on. The manual suggested taking it for a run, keeping revs between something like 3,000 and 4,500 and after so many miles the filter would have burnt off the muck/soot. It only took about a 15 minute drive and the light went out. Since then it has been fine as it gets a regular long drives. The previous owner clearly didn’t do many long runs.

Enjoy your car and as suggested the odd long run will keep the DPF filter happy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

Mine's getting a little noisy now but it has done over 130,000 miles. ( In a big, heavy E class)
    So who's a silly Billy ;). Two turbos? Didn't even know it had one......nobody tells me anything.

To be honest I’m not sure as they’re both just work cars, the first one was manual but this ones an auto but they’re both 116d 5 door models. Even the 114i would have been a better option.

Craftsman
    Diesel engines are only horrible when they’re made to be too economical. I have a 2017 bmw 116d and it sounds like a tractor on the drive. The last one I had which was a 2014 116d was exactly the same. I know someone with a 330d and it’s much, much quieter than mine at idle. The 1.6 just rattles. Reason I’ve had two is it’s a company car, I don’t have a choice. Anything diesel with a decent size engine will be lovely.
    Can't agree there. I have a fiesta diesel van 1.6 2013. It's very quiet probably as quiet as a diesel.

Should'nt be a problem,when you look at how many diesel taxis are running around town on very short trips.
    Just enjoy a very beautiful car.

To be honest I’m not sure as they’re both just work cars, the first one was manual but this ones an auto but they’re both 116d 5 door models. Even the 114i would have been a better option.
    I was referring to the SLC250, the 116, 118 and 120d all use the same 2l engine.

I was referring to the SLC250, the 116, 118 and 120d all use the same 2l engine.
    Ah sorry

Master
    The 116d is a 3 cylinder 1.5 litre

Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    The 116d is a 3 cylinder 1.5 litre
    That's changed in the last few years then but that's not really surprising. .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by charlies View Post

+1 on that. Got a Range Rover with the ingenium diesel in it, loads of mpg, pulls like a train and quiet too. Whats not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    It still begs the question, why buy a 2-seat sports car with a tractor engine, especially if you're only pootling to the shops?

EDIT: Sorry, I should have also said it looks stunning in that grey
    Funnily enough I used to race a car powered by an engine derived from a fire pump. Indeed in another class that engine also won more then a few Grand Prix.

Hence a tractor should be really good ;)

But thanks, yes it does look stunning to me, especially with the red interior.

Master
    That's a stunning looking car Brian, (I,m guessing it must have an AMG styling pack on it), I think you have made a very good choice. The Mercedes 250 Diesel engine is a great engine too, we had one in a c-class estate many moons ago, and it was both frugal and fun when required. Don't let your son in law take the shine off it, some people find it difficult to hide their envy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    That's a stunning looking car Brian, (I,m guessing it must have an AMG styling pack on it), I think you have made a very good choice. The Mercedes 250 Diesel engine is a great engine too, we had one in a c-class estate many moons ago, and it was both frugal and fun when required. Don't let your son in law take the shine off it, some people find it difficult to hide their envy.
    They do don't they. Many seem incapable of being pleased for other people. This forum is a welcome relief in this culture of envy world.

Yes it is an AMG Line. With black and red leather interior. Surprisingly quick, 0-60 6sec and top speed of 152......all of course only of academic interest. In an earlier post I said I was swapping to a more sedate vehicle, whereas

the Mazda Sports Nav 1.5 0-60 8 sec, top speed 127 and the Mini Cooper S 0-60 7 sec and 142, so I was wrong there.

The 9 speed auto box is amazing. After the Mini and the Mazda, getting in and out is so much easier. Only criticism I have is that some of the interior controls are a bit tacky.

For two seventy seven year olds this might well be our last car, if it is we haven't done badly.:)
    Last edited by BrianT; 21st October 2017 at 09:41.

Master
    I really wouldn’t worry overly - your use isnt a million miles away from mine - 6 mile round trips and longer weekend runs .
    My 2011 116d (2.0 litre 4 cyl) has just ticked over to 105k with routine servicing . Original dpf showing no signs of being unhappy . Enjoy the car - if the dpf clogs , they can be cleaned out or replaced . Not worth spoiling the enjoyment of a beautiful car worrying about it :)

Car looks great - enjoy.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Drive it like you stole it is an urban myth. A good run now and again will keep it sweet. Enjoy in safety. Mike

Great looking car. Have owned two Mercedes and never been disappointed!! Enjoy!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
    Thanks to all. Had the top down this afternoon for the first time. Very nice and the SCARF works well. :)
    Had an early SLK with scarf and now have MX5 and wish it had a similar system.Just great for colder morning and evening.

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Drive it like you stole it is an urban myth. A good run now and again will keep it sweet. Enjoy in safety. Mike
    Seems to work very well with all my cars
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by saturn5 View Post
    Can't agree there. I have a fiesta diesel van 1.6 2013. It's very quiet probably as quiet as a diesel.
    Can't disagree with that

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Can't disagree with that
    No, it's as noisy as a diesel.

Good looking car Brian!
    Mrs Goat likes those....especially grey ones

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Good looking car Brian!
    Mrs Goat likes those....especially grey ones
    Mrs Goat has impeccable taste. ;)

its a beut - enjoy it - but as they say drive it hard now and again to get the temperatures up to burn off the impurities in the diesel/ioils

if engine gives trouble eventually then get it fixed - simples

if diesels get banned from the earth - then there'll be options - first world problems

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    its a beut - enjoyit.

if diesels get banned from the earth - then there'll be options - first world problems
    By the time that ban happens I shall be long gone.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Correct. The phrase is "drive it like a hire car".

(No matter how cheap it is, when RG17 UAX, a black Astra estate 1.4 Turbo petrol manual comes up for sale, probably through BCA, just leave it ;)

Master
    I think the biggest concern with buying a diesel now is how the government are vilifying them. I dare say that in a few years time you won't be able to give the things away.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
    For two seventy seven year olds this might well be our last car, if it is we haven't done badly.:)
    For me that's the line of the week, if not the month and year. I wish you many happy miles and a few quick ones

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    For me that's the line of the week, if not the month and year. I wish you many happy miles and a few quick ones
    Thanks........

Lovely looking Merc. Diesel cars are very rare here in the US. Diesel fuel is way more expensive than regular gas.

Craftsman
    One of the neighbours has bought the same car a couple of weeks ago in white and thats a 67 plate too so there must be some deals going about , his looks awful in white but the grey suits this very well ...its a ten from me
    Last edited by P ELLIS; 28th October 2017 at 14:21.