closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Older/budget hi-fi buying advice

My personal choice was to go second hand as I enjoyed researching the options and could access some much higher end kit than I could new. While there's a strong second hand market for well known kit, there are some real bargain gems out there from smaller companies.

Peter

Have replied to your PM regarding the hifi bits I have for sale (just in case you haven't seen it)

Blog Entries
    I can vouch for the Marantz KI series, my CD17KI still sounds the bizz. Due to this thread I even want to get my old Yamaha classA amp (1976) from the attick and give it a try :)
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

If you just want some speakers, I have a pair of Wharfedale Diamonds and a pair of (I think) Acoustic Solutions, though can't remember which exact model.

I recently removed them from the bookshelf/wall when we redecorated. They were hooked up to my old Brennan JB7 and sounded fine to me, though I am (clearly) no HiFi purist.

They will otherwise be going to the dump.....so I am quite prepared if some on here say that's the best place for them!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    If you just want some speakers, I have a pair of Wharfedale Diamonds and a pair of (I think) Acoustic Solutions, though can't remember which exact model.

I recently removed them from the bookshelf/wall when we redecorated. They were hooked up to my old Brennan JB7 and sounded fine to me, though I am (clearly) no HiFi purist.

They will otherwise be going to the dump.....so I am quite prepared if some on here say that's the best place for them!
    If no-one here wants them, then don't take them to the dump - take them to a local charity shop if you can. They should be able to sell them easily if you don't want to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    If no-one here wants them, then don't take them to the dump - take them to a local charity shop if you can. They should be able to sell them easily if you don't want to do so.
    I did wonder that...or possibly Freegle.

I'd certainly rather they were used as we dispose of way too much already.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    I did wonder that...or possibly Freegle.

I'd certainly rather they were used as we dispose of way too much already.
    Completely agree. A quick pic and a post of Facebook (if you use it) and you'll have a bunch of people willing to take them off your hands. We did this with some cupboards recently - we couldn't get BHF or any local charities to collect at a time that was convenient and they were too big for us to transport. Wife posted them on Facebook as collection only and a couple of young couples took them away.

Old tvs etc we've just donated to charity. BHF will collect too - other charities might, but I haven't used them so can't say for sure.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by simon-c View Post
    Agreed, great bit of kit. Only sold mine as I moved away from CDs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LINN-CLASS...-/202049630932
    I've actually started buying CD's again. Alot can be bought cheaper than paying for an MP3 download of the exact same album. Get it home and rip it yourelf (to a higher quality codec such as FLAC). At the moment I'm relying on my computer's CD, however this thread is quite timely as I may get back and buy a CD/AMP/Speaker combo.

That LINN CD is tempting , however a little wary of maintenance costs !

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    Enjoyed that film just the other day.......

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    I've actually started buying CD's again. Alot can be bought cheaper than paying for an MP3 download of the exact same album. Get it home and rip it yourelf (to a higher quality codec such as FLAC). At the moment I'm relying on my computer's CD, however this thread is quite timely as I may get back and buy a CD/AMP/Speaker combo.
    Ditto!

My old car had a 6 CD changer too, so that meant I could listen to them on the move.

M

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire
    All from Ebay:

Audiolab 800A amp - £175
    Rega Planar 3 turntable - £150
    Boston Acoustics Speakers -£110

Job's a good 'un.

And I bought from Richer Sounds a Nuforce Bluetooth receiver for £40 so I can play Spotify. I'm saving up to change bits as & when funds allow.

Quote Originally Posted by simon-c View Post
    Agreed, great bit of kit. Only sold mine as I moved away from CDs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LINN-CLASS...-/202049630932
    These are brilliant boxes I have one with some Linn speakers and it is very powerful and tiny. The only snag is repairs can be very expensive so make sure you test it thoroughly before you buy - turn it on & off both with the remote and the power button several times.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    My old kit is mostly 2nd hand and comprises

Marantz CD (£0 - handmedown) to Cambridge DAC (£40) or Ariston deck (front only) - (£65) to:-

(1) Front - NAD 3020 Pre-amp stage only to 2 x Cyrus Monoblocs ( £100 each) and Quad 22L floorstanding speakers. (£300)

(2) Rear - Cyrus Pre-amp (£90) to the power amp stage of the 3020 to AR 28LS speakers.

For some reason the NAD preamp to monblocs sounds nicer than the Cyrus to Cyrus (?) and the NAD has a phono input. The NAD and ARs were bought new in 1984. I refurbed the ARs a couple of years ago with a kit from eBay as the surrounds had disintegrated

All in all a mongrel system, but for the cash sounds not to bad to my aged ears

Master
    I'd go for something like a Rotel RA971 amp, Marantz CD67 and a pair of book shelf B&W's, maybe a smart pair of old DM601s although you could probably go for something newer in this price bracket. Nice balanced system well within budget.

For a second system, last year I bought a Marantz MCR610, Arcam mini blink and a pair of B&W CM1s. Admittedly I got lucky with the price, but including some decent speaker cable came in at comfortably under £400.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a question for Rod and other knowledgeable buffs.

My Marantz PM 7200 has stopped working on one speaker side both a and b speaker choices.

So In a hurry I bought a Onkyo A-9010 which arrived today,I’ve left in on for hours to warm up.

It’s nice and clear and clean sounding but compared to the Marantz which seemed rich and full its just clinical.
    I am struggling for descriptive words forgive me.

1,Should I give it time is this burning in a thing or a myth?

2,should I get another amp if so what would compare to my old one sound wise?

3,can I get it repaired, if so where to send it and is it worth it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I'd go to richer sounds with £500 in pocket and see what they've got!
    That is a great place to start! Can’t go wrong with Richer Sounds.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    It always amazes me why people expect to buy great sounding gear for next to nothing???

I don’t?

my system sounded great, it’s not the money it’s the sound you like that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    It always amazes me why people expect to buy great sounding gear for next to nothing???
    Depends on which piece of gear it is.

Top sound-quality speakers are inherently costly to produce, but even a very inexpensive source and amplification can be sonically transparent if they’re comptently designed, and expensive cables wires are completely pointless.
    Last edited by Belligero; 6th February 2018 at 21:10.

Craftsman
    If you go on any hifi forum you will be advised "Crap in equals crap out" I agree, source first always in my experience to get the best bang for your bucks.