closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Breitling Superocean Heritage I vs II - Views from owners?

Master

Breitling Superocean Heritage I vs II - Views from owners?

I'm in the market for a diver and have always been a fan of the first generation Superocean Heritage. A friend owns one and it's a watch I've tried on many times and have been impressed with. I noticed there is a new version of it out now to celebrate the 60 year anniversary of the superocean, but other than a few reviews I have not seen any real world owner impressions?

I like the look of the new ceramic bezel with pip (and without the silver inner ring detail), but think I prefer the hands on the first generation (even though the gen 2 hands are a closer representation of the original).

Does anyone on here have one they can share their thoughts on?

I had a look at them side by side at the Breitling Boutique in Sydney. The new version looked so much nicer to me, but very subtle in the update overall.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Lets face it, there really ain’t much change is there, I have a blue one on ocean racer, they wear smaller than there 46mm size would suggest, I haven’t seen the new ceramic version one in the flesh but for me I’d go for a pre loved one as the arse just seems to drop out of a second hand Breitling. Good watch but I’m never buying a new Breitling ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I would say the new version

I had to re read your post to spot the differences, subtle for sure

Quote Originally Posted by fordystar View Post
    Lets face it, there really ain’t much change is there, I have a blue one on ocean racer, they wear smaller than there 46mm size would suggest, I haven’t seen the new ceramic version one in the flesh but for me I’d go for a pre loved one as the arse just seems to drop out of a second hand Breitling. Good watch but I’m never buying a new Breitling ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Agreed, but all things equal, I’d have the new one. I wouldn’t be paying double for it though, and taking a bath if I sold.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I'm not too worried about the depreciation aspect because good deals on buying new Breitlings are so readily available plus I tend to buy and keep rather than flip so it's not a major factor.

Master
    I had this exact same dilemma a few months back when I bought one in blue (I already had one in black).

Ended up going for the older version as it just looks that bit cleaner (on the new one, the bezel insert is wider, so everything on the dial is a bit more cramped together) and I prefer the hands on the older one (again, it looks cleaner and more in line with the overall aesthetics of the watch - the new sword hands just don't go well on that watch I think)

That being said, I liked that the new one now has a lume pip and that the watch is just ever so slightly thicker, which makes it a bit better proportioned. The ceramic bezel insert and new movements are also big pluses, but I just couldn't get over those hands.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by warns74 View Post
    I'm not too worried about the depreciation aspect because good deals on buying new Breitlings are so readily available plus I tend to buy and keep rather than flip so it's not a major factor.
    Have you tried the new version on? As said above the case is slightly thicker??, what is your wrist size? The 46mm case isn’t really made for smaller wrist, my mate had a seawolf and just couldn’t get on with it due to the lug sticking in the bone on his wrist, deffo try before you buy, they really are a lovely watch, I had the classic mesh racer strap which also goes lovely with This watch and really gives it another dimension, sounds like you have made the decision on the new release but either I’m sure will be fine. Post up some pics if you purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Have you tried the new version on? As said above the case is slightly thicker??, what is your wrist size? The 46mm case isn’t really made for smaller wrist, my mate had a seawolf and just couldn’t get on with it due to the lug sticking in the bone on his wrist, deffo try before you buy, they really are a lovely watch, I had the classic mesh racer strap which also goes lovely with This watch and really gives it another dimension, sounds like you have made the decision on the new release but either I’m sure will be fine. Post up some pics if you purchase.

It's not a great deal thicker - I think only about 1.5 mm more than the older one. If you can wear the old one, you won't have any issues with the new one. What I meant was that the 46 mm is a big, but quite thin watch; the new one just seems a tad better proportioned.

As has already been said, the biggest difference (from an aesthetics point of view) are the hands - if you like them, then go for the new one. If you don't, then I'm sure the old one will do you fine too.

Also, there's a 42 mm SOH, if you don't 'have the wrists' for the 46

Master

I've not tried the new one on yet but have regularly tried and worn the gen 1 version in 46mm so comfortable with the size. I usually wear 44mm panerai and 45.5mm omega.

Journeyman
    i do prefer the first gen, but compared to second gen the hour hand seems a wee bit short for my taste, Id love to have either mind!