timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CWC 1980 Royal Navy Diver Re-issue

CWC 1980 Royal Navy Diver Re-issue

Nice enough but £1,999? Why?

https://www.cwcwatch.com/products/re...iver-automatic

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Trying to cash in on the hype I guess.
    Cheers..
    Jase

That's a good question. The mismatched hands and dial lume are a turn off too, but if you put that aside the price ought to be around the £1000 mark for a limited edition (and that's only because of the raised prices on their standard models!). I'm not sure how they came to that price! I've said it before but their price increase has put me off any further CWC purchases which is a shame really as I really like them.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I looked at that one Eddie, thought it was lovely, I really did think it would be around 6-700, apparently not!!!!

mike

The thing the bugs me (apart from the price and the glossy lume and circle T with a luminova dial)...
    Is the lack of Lume on the dial numerals as per the original. A bit of a miss really.
    It puts the price of the PRS82 and PRS18 in to focus though!

The fiasco where they recently sold camp-bed straps for £30 suggests that somebody has completed an MBA. Mind you, Silvermans and pricing is a subject as old as the hills...

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/th...ierman.157930/

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/th...-ead-off.8844/
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    The Lume colour is a turn off for me and the price!! Standard version any day even though the price on these are getting silly.
    Certainly makes Eddies great value.
    Last edited by barryw; 16th October 2017 at 20:28.

Blog Entries
    What the market will bear...

Master
    I'm a fan of CWC and own a couple but something about this one that's just not doing it for me at all .

Craftsman
    Another gripe about the price from me. Was expecting 600 max I gasped when I saw the price!

The mismatched lume is not a great look and yes, the retail price is crazy. Will it be built well enough to justify even a £1k retail? I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Nice enough but £1,999? Why?

https://www.cwcwatch.com/products/re...iver-automatic

Eddie
    Nothing surprises me these days when bog standard Breitling and Omegas are £3k and £4k respectively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hard to get on seaman's pay.

Master

Much better elsewhere

There are much better Watches new and used for £1999!!

I am with others in believing that a lot of brands have hit rediculous prices that puts them out of reach for many and overpriced for everyone else!!
    As long as people will be sold into it, I can’t see it stopping?!? A very similar story in the car world!!!???

Surely these kind of % increases year on year even for limited models cannot be sustained?!?
    Saying that an original Sub selling for £230k isn’t helping!!

I like the original issued CWC but this one will not be going into my collection!

Chris

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good GOD that CWC looks AWFUL.

Craftsman
    I doubt CWC are going to lose any sweat about what a few enthusiasts say on a forum. Plenty of people will buy these as the retro/vintage look in general is popular at the moment.
    For me, CWC have now gone beyond what I would want to pay for a quartz tool watch. If they were cheaper, I would buy the SBS again without a shadow of doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Nice watch but never at that price

Craftsman
    bremonts new 40mm supermarine has been on sale at Upchurch jewellers lately for around £2100.

Hipsters are so stupid for buying into this insanity.

Seems to be a £500-£600 watch, can't see the attraction or value here.

If someone really wanted a military automatic watch could they not just get a Marathon for about £700 - £800 from page and cooper?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    If someone really wanted a military automatic watch could they not just get a Marathon for about £700 - £800 from page and cooper?
    Technically the Marathon are not much different from this watch as far as I know.
    They are not issued in the old sense of the word but are mostly unit purchase. (There are exceptions for a small number of the cheaper watches)
    I understand this watch could also be ordered by units as it has a NATO stock number.

In my view the Marathon Divers watches and the CWC divers are a similar quality and perfectly justifiable as a £600-700 watch. £2000 is taking the p1ss, which is the exact same reason I have not bought a CSAR, I can't see the value in it.
    Shame as if they both a more reasonable price I would have them both to complete both collections.

Journeyman
    CWC seem to have gone from an offshoot of Silvermans to an independent watch company and moving up-market in their pricing. I like their watches, my G10 is still going strong after 10 years but I think I will be purchasing from Eddie in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcusu View Post
    CWC seem to have gone from an offshoot of Silvermans to an independent watch company and moving up-market in their pricing. I like their watches, my G10 is still going strong after 10 years but I think I will be purchasing from Eddie in future.
    Silvermans bought CWC years ago.
    The Cabot Watch Company was set up by a former Hamilton Watch Co employee when Hamilton went bust, his aim was to provide watches to the MOD.
    Hence the similarity between both brands watches of the same vintage.
    Silvermans started selling them to the public about 10 years ago, before then you could only buy second hand watches that 'found their way out' of the MOD supply chain. Their original apparently difficult to obtain nature made them collectors items, hence where we are now.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I thought five months later I would check to see if anyone took the plunge and actually bought one.

Personally, I like it, but like a lot of people gasped at the £2k price tag. Given that the standard automatic is now in the £900s I would have though £1,200 as a limited edition would have been a good price point.

There are now numerous blog type reviews from Hodinkee and the like and most of those are quite positive.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who bought one and for them to post some in the wild photos in their garden etc, so we can see what it looks like for real.

This is not a WTB, but if anyone fancies flipping, I'll ask for first dibs

I must be in a minority of one, but I really like this. Anyone interested needs to read the link below:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/cw...diver-re-issue

Now we have endless debates on here about faux patina and homages, but in this case it is no different to Omega going out of their way to reproduce the 60th anniversary limited editions. CWC have done exactly the same having to have several of the parts built from scratch to match the original for a very small run of watches - helps to explain the price.

I have lifted some real world images from watchuseek - apologies if the owner sees then, but they are very good.

There seems to be some nice touches here, a black gloss dial rather than the usual Matt grey/charcoal, a bezel insert that is very reminiscent of the old Seamaster with the coloured numbers.

Could you imagine the queues if Rolex announced that they were doing a heritage reissue of the milsub, matching everything that was on the original. This is effectively what CWC have done here. Love it, but should I buy one...

Craftsman

I’m generally a CWC fan but 5 months down the line and I’m still not a fan of this. I don’t like faux patina/vintage lume at the best of time but to me it looks particularly cheap and nasty on this watch. Which is ironic because it’s so expensive! Admittedly, I have only seen pictures and it may look better in ‘real life’.
    CWC seem to be pushing themselves out of the very market that they were originally developed for ( hard wearing, simple military/tool watches ) and into one where there is a lot of competition from more well known and established brands.
    Last edited by Bobbyf; 22nd February 2018 at 22:14.

I wouldn't pay £200 for it, never mind £2,000. It just doesn't look anywhere near good enough to justify the price tag.

That pooh brown/orange lume is bad enough, but then the compete lack of colour match on the hands looks awful

I have to say it is growing on me
    I thought the price was far too much but every time I see a picture I like it more.
    To the extent I may try to find one.
    £2k for a new CWC is stupid in my mind but the originals are going for more and even the 'new standard' versions are getting in to stupid money.
    Not sure if anyone got the lastest CWC email update the model names but to me that was as clear as mud?????

Apprentice
    I am a faux patina fiend. I know it irritates a lot of people, but there is something about the combination of the ochre and black that I really like. I cannot get enough of the stuff, but the CWC leaves me totally cold. The price is absolutely ridiculous, even conceding that they have had to start from scratch. But neither the case nor the dial look to me 2000£ worth. Oris, Longines, Hamilton, the whole entry tier and many of the micros have better alternatives, such as the PRS-82.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by elmiperru View Post
    Oris, Longines, Hamilton, the whole entry tier and many of the micros have better alternatives, such as the PRS-82.
    Agreed, the PRS-82 offers huge value for money in comparison to this. Especially in its original guise with the old stock movement.

These 'original manufacturer' reissues are causing me grief. Firstly Oris did a limited edition of their 1917 watch and priced it at £2k and now CWC have done the similar and at the same price. The obvious issue here is residuals, anyone buying at list is going to take an enormous bath if they flip either.

I like both watches, but wouldn't and couldn't pump £4K into such things, afterall you are into Rolex territory at that kind of money.

If these watches were £250 to £350 each I would take a punt and buy both.

Thanks guys for firmly closing the cheque book.

Bugger
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 22nd February 2018 at 23:48.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Agreed, the PRS-82 offers huge value for money in comparison to this. Especially in its original guise with the old stock movement.
    How can you tell if it has a old stock movement?

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Beats slower at circa 21k bph, rather than the 28k of a modern eta

I put off buying one for ages and had been looking at CWC and other tool watches for a weekend beach watch. Then one came up on SC and I was chuffed to find it was one of the first 500. The quality is amazing and it’s most definitely a keeper.

Last edited by messym; 22nd February 2018 at 23:59.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by messym View Post
    Beats slower at circa 21k bph, rather than the 28k of a modern eta

I put off buying one for ages and had been looking at CWC and other tool watches for a weekend beach watch. Then one came up on SC and I was chuffed to find it was one of the first 500. The quality is amazing and it’s most definitely a keeper.

But how can you tell looking at it?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    These 'original manufacturer' reissues are causing me grief. Firstly Oris did a limited edition of their 1917 watch and priced it at £2k and now CWC have done the similar and at the same price. The obvious issue here is residuals, anyone buying at list is going to take an enormous bath if they flip either.

I like both watches, but wouldn't and couldn't pump £4K into such things, afterall you are into Rolex territory at that kind of money.

If these watches were £250 to £350 each I would take a punt and buy both.

Thanks guys for firmly closing the cheque book.

Bugger
    I have the CWC quartz diver and its a nice watch but the current and ever increasing price rises in no way justify it. I personally don't like the look of the reissue the aged lume looks horrible almost sloppy on the dial. I had one of those old Precista watches the quartz version and in comparison the seconds hand didn't line up like the CWC did, the Precista seemed to have much more lume which meant it glowed like a torch but looked OTT. The Precista seemed the more solid watch than the CWC and was probably around half the price. 2k for this watch just seems utterly OTT

In all honesty looking at these "tool, military" watches the better options are the Seiko 009 or the Marathon and that's coming from someone who has owned or still owns a CWC, Precista, Seiko....

But how can you tell looking at it?
    Not by looking. By listening compared to an Omega SMP at 28k bph. The sweep on the 82 isn’t as smooth, comparable to a 6r15 on my SARX

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=messym;4677550]Not by looking. By listening compared to an Omega SMP at 28k bph. The sweep on the 82 isn’t as smooth, comparable to a 6r15 on my SARX

"The new old stock ETA2783 used in earlier versions of this watch are no longer available, the PRS-82 is now supplied with the ETA2824-2 with decorated rotor. "

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    I’m generally a CWC fan but 5 months down the line and I’m still not a fan of this. I don’t like faux patina/vintage lume at the best of time but to me it looks particularly cheap and nasty on this watch. Which is ironic because it’s so expensive! Admittedly, I have only seen pictures and it may look better in ‘real life’.
    CWC seem to be pushing themselves out of the very market that they were originally developed for ( hard wearing, simple military/tool watches ) and into one where there is a lot of competition from more well known and established brands.
    I'm not keen on the aged lume either, it's the reason I sold (probably stupidly) my PRS-82.

I feel they should beat up the rest of the watch as well, so the case looks like a 40 year old case to match the 40 year old lume. And yes, I know the case can be polished, but it doesn't seem right.

Craftsman
    In this thread there is a side by side pic of the original and the re-issue (but in black and white).
    there is also an interesting chart of the differences between the 1980 (original) and the 1981
    http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...UTOMATIC/page6

There is a partial colour shot on the CWC website. I understand originals are £10k plus these days, which is peanuts really when you consider those genuine ones were the direct replacement for the milsub.

Personally Ken I like it and I think you do too :)

Do you want me to convince you to buy it? because I will lol

It is too close in price to a SLA017 which is the watch I am torn on at the moment and in my eyes is a better package for the money but still overpriced IMO

The watch looks great though and faux lume works in this instance (like the 82 and recent Omega's)

2k in this crazy time of paying nearly 10k for a green Sub is almost justifiable :)

You are a bad man Craig, but you do have a point. I was thinking about those Omega Seamaster 300 rebuilds last night, which are stunning to look at and wear, but are no more than a collection of brand new spares built around a 50 year old movement and they are fetching close to £3k nearly every day of the week.

There is a hypocracy going on here, people sniff at a vintage Rolex because it has replacement hands or insert etc, but are happy to pay thousands for an Omega new build.

In addition, if the likes of Steinhart issue a watch with faux lumed it is heavily slated, but when when Omega do it on their range of 60th anniversary models, people want them.

I think the CWC is in the same mould as the recent Omega range, a company basically doing a reissue of a historic model, which in my eyes is completely different to another manufacturer doing a homage. As stated earlier if Rolex announced that they were going to do a limited 'heritage' run of the milsub as a nod to their past, there would be queues around the block.

I also agree Craig that £2k these days isn't a lot when most of the Basel world goodies announced next month will be £10k+ in most cases.

Still thinking, still mulling, but a few of these real life images do look good and people have said that the colour of the hands is less obvious in the flesh. CWC even stated that the colour of the hands was a deliberate decision as the originals aged differently to the dials - just like on vintage Speedmasters etc.

Absolutely the mismatched hands are (to me) a big plus, its a very good looking watch in my opinion

Just had a look at a Hodinkee review of the Seiko that you are interested in, effectively the exact same thing, but for close to double the money.

Are you going for it.

Just had a look at a Hodinkee review of the Seiko that you are interested in, effectively the exact same thing, but for close to double the money.

Are you going for it.
    I have around 2k waiting on the off chance one comes up cheap ;) not holding my breath though lol

Also, because mine has a serial number (416) and the previous owners can be traced back through the forum and matched with the thread on the “first 500” PRS-82 owners list on the Timefactors page of this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It just had to be done...

Despite all the haters on this thread, this watch just kept growing on me so I have taken the plunge and bought one. I decided to call Silvermans and had a long chat with a very friendly chap called Mal. He had two numbers left from the initial batch of 49 watches that have a /17 date code, numbers 47 and 49 and a handful of numbers between 50 and 100 with a /18 date code.

Having been brought up in number 47 and my Mum still lives there, it seemed very appropriate. I had decided to try and buy one from the initial batch.

Speaking to Mal, and this news should please some of the haters, they are hoping to produce later numbers in three different lume colours, some the same as the first batch, some in a greenish shade similar to today's new watches and a yellow tritium colour, which should prove popular. The hands will not match though. That was a deliberate decision as the hands colour at a different rate on the original watches.

Onto the hands, like others have written, when you have the watch in the flesh the difference is nothing like it appears in the promotional photos. I even suggested to Mal that he sack the photographer. The hands seem to change in differing shades of light and in some instances they almost appear identical to the plots. The deep Black (almost piano finish) gloss dial is superb. The bezel has 60 clicks and each click is almost like a thud, very solid and reassuring. The insert has coloured and lumed numbers, just like a Seamaster 300m 165:024.

Some images:

So, on to the thorny issue of price. This is a faithful reissue of a 1980 watch and things like the case, the bezel, the insert, dial, and hands all had to be produced from scratch with the intention of only producing 600 watches. It very much comes down to a take it or leave it situation, but when you consider that Omega want £5.5k for their reissue of the 1957 Speedmaster, it does make this seem cheap by comparison.

A few have appeared on e-bay and watchuseek and seem to sell around the £1.7k mark, so for anyone considering second hand you could save yourself £300. I decided I wanted a new one with my name on the guarantee. In addition, Mal threw in a third NATO free and didn't charge me for postage, so that saved me about £20 odd quid.

Mal confirmed that CWC are currently having a leather strap made up for this watch and it should be available in 3-4 weeks, so I will keep an eye out for that. Also, there are plans to do a reissue of the 1983 Quartz later this year, which they hope will only be a few hundred pound dearer than the current model, so I will have to have one of them.

Here is a photo of the watch with its modern day offspring.

In conclusion, I have been wearing it for 24 hours now and I love it.

Someone needs to snap up Number 49 quick...

In conclusion, I have been wearing it for 24 hours now and I love it.
    Good on you.

It's a really nice watch.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

It was a quiet day in the office, so guess who popped along to Silvermans?
    I am currently on the tube on the way home, with 95 sitting in the rucksack!
    Thanks for posting on the Friday thread!