TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CWC 1980 Royal Navy Diver Re-issue

Hybrid View

CWC 1980 Royal Navy Diver Re-issue

Nice enough but £1,999? Why?

https://www.cwcwatch.com/products/re...iver-automatic

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Trying to cash in on the hype I guess.
    Cheers..
    Jase

That's a good question. The mismatched hands and dial lume are a turn off too, but if you put that aside the price ought to be around the £1000 mark for a limited edition (and that's only because of the raised prices on their standard models!). I'm not sure how they came to that price! I've said it before but their price increase has put me off any further CWC purchases which is a shame really as I really like them.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I looked at that one Eddie, thought it was lovely, I really did think it would be around 6-700, apparently not!!!!

mike

The fiasco where they recently sold camp-bed straps for £30 suggests that somebody has completed an MBA. Mind you, Silvermans and pricing is a subject as old as the hills...

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/th...ierman.157930/

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/th...-ead-off.8844/
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    The Lume colour is a turn off for me and the price!! Standard version any day even though the price on these are getting silly.
    Certainly makes Eddies great value.
    Last edited by barryw; 16th October 2017 at 20:28.

The thing the bugs me (apart from the price and the glossy lume and circle T with a luminova dial)...
    Is the lack of Lume on the dial numerals as per the original. A bit of a miss really.
    It puts the price of the PRS82 and PRS18 in to focus though!

Craftsman
    Another gripe about the price from me. Was expecting 600 max I gasped when I saw the price!

Master
    I have looked at these a few times now and almost bought a number of times. Great design, back story and I even like the lume colour. I just get stuck on the price especially vs my seiko turtles for this level of diver.
    Not sure I am going to ever solve the value issue in my head.....

The mismatched lume is not a great look and yes, the retail price is crazy. Will it be built well enough to justify even a £1k retail? I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Nice enough but £1,999? Why?

https://www.cwcwatch.com/products/re...iver-automatic

Eddie
    Nothing surprises me these days when bog standard Breitling and Omegas are £3k and £4k respectively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hard to get on seaman's pay.

Master

Much better elsewhere

There are much better Watches new and used for £1999!!

I am with others in believing that a lot of brands have hit rediculous prices that puts them out of reach for many and overpriced for everyone else!!
    As long as people will be sold into it, I can’t see it stopping?!? A very similar story in the car world!!!???

Surely these kind of % increases year on year even for limited models cannot be sustained?!?
    Saying that an original Sub selling for £230k isn’t helping!!

I like the original issued CWC but this one will not be going into my collection!

Chris

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good GOD that CWC looks AWFUL.

Master
    Value is in the eye of the beholder. I think for me the value proposition is in how much models like this are truly differentiated from their cheaper less exclusive brethren. I'm not sure any £2k+ watch offers true value for money to anyone but a very small select band of interested parties!

Craftsman
    I doubt CWC are going to lose any sweat about what a few enthusiasts say on a forum. Plenty of people will buy these as the retro/vintage look in general is popular at the moment.
    For me, CWC have now gone beyond what I would want to pay for a quartz tool watch. If they were cheaper, I would buy the SBS again without a shadow of doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Nice watch but never at that price

The watch is in no way value for money, especially when compared to the PRS18 or PRS82. (Which I own) But when has this hobby made financial sense? (Excluding the hallowed Rolex)
    For me it's about enjoyment, I do not tend to flip so residuals are not an issue and I have a thing for CWCs so it fits in to the collection.
    However I would say this is better made when compared to my other CWC Divers, the bezel action is perfect, (it's not on the others nor PRS watches) the gloss insert and slightly shorter hands makes the dial look larger, the case is better finished, the dial is gloss and not Matte, and I like the fact they have reverted to the original style case back which makes it wear a bit different.
    At £1500 I don't think I could argue but at £2k you really have to like it which I do.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    The watch is in no way value for money, especially when compared to the PRS18 or PRS82. (Which I own) But when has this hobby made financial sense? (Excluding the hallowed Rolex)
    For me it's about enjoyment, I do not tend to flip so residuals are not an issue and I have a thing for CWCs so it fits in to the collection.
    However I would say this is better made when compared to my other CWC Divers, the bezel action is perfect, (it's not on the others nor PRS watches) the gloss insert and slightly shorter hands makes the dial look larger, the case is better finished, the dial is gloss and not Matte, and I like the fact they have reverted to the original style case back which makes it wear a bit different.
    At £1500 I don't think I could argue but at £2k you really have to like it which I do.
    Interesting to hear your thoughts on the quality compared to the standard CWC Divers. I hadn’t actually considered it before now. Also, I did not know that the numbers on the bezel were lumped too. Having seen your collection in previous posts I would agree that this CWC certainly fills a gap and will be a nice addition.
    I appreciate you and Wallasey updating the thread with your first hand experiences.
    Last edited by Bobbyf; 4th March 2018 at 00:04.

Craftsman
    bremonts new 40mm supermarine has been on sale at Upchurch jewellers lately for around £2100.

Hipsters are so stupid for buying into this insanity.

Seems to be a £500-£600 watch, can't see the attraction or value here.

If someone really wanted a military automatic watch could they not just get a Marathon for about £700 - £800 from page and cooper?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    If someone really wanted a military automatic watch could they not just get a Marathon for about £700 - £800 from page and cooper?
    Technically the Marathon are not much different from this watch as far as I know.
    They are not issued in the old sense of the word but are mostly unit purchase. (There are exceptions for a small number of the cheaper watches)
    I understand this watch could also be ordered by units as it has a NATO stock number.

In my view the Marathon Divers watches and the CWC divers are a similar quality and perfectly justifiable as a £600-700 watch. £2000 is taking the p1ss, which is the exact same reason I have not bought a CSAR, I can't see the value in it.
    Shame as if they both a more reasonable price I would have them both to complete both collections.

Journeyman
    CWC seem to have gone from an offshoot of Silvermans to an independent watch company and moving up-market in their pricing. I like their watches, my G10 is still going strong after 10 years but I think I will be purchasing from Eddie in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcusu View Post
    CWC seem to have gone from an offshoot of Silvermans to an independent watch company and moving up-market in their pricing. I like their watches, my G10 is still going strong after 10 years but I think I will be purchasing from Eddie in future.
    Silvermans bought CWC years ago.
    The Cabot Watch Company was set up by a former Hamilton Watch Co employee when Hamilton went bust, his aim was to provide watches to the MOD.
    Hence the similarity between both brands watches of the same vintage.
    Silvermans started selling them to the public about 10 years ago, before then you could only buy second hand watches that 'found their way out' of the MOD supply chain. Their original apparently difficult to obtain nature made them collectors items, hence where we are now.

Master
    The value for money point (for me at least) is the alternatives that I could buy (as I do not have an unlimited budget). As an example, for about a third of the price of the CWC I could have a SBDC053. Some similarities and some differences, but I will not spend to have both, so the aim is to make a choice where I get the most pleasure/value for money spent.

Decisions, decisions...

Anyway congrats to those who have bought the CWC. Looks to be a great choice, so enjoy !

Fanastic to hear about your purchases and sharing of some great quality real life pics. I was one of those that followed this watch with interest from when it was first announced, but the price came as a shock and I wasn't so keen on the lume colour used for the dial markers. I had heard about them toning it down for a future batch, now this would be a great interest.

Only issue should I find myself with the funds to buy one, I so strongly miss my CWC 70's Pilot Chronograph reissue that I would be really torn between where to spend it. Of all the watches I have sold over the years selling that one has been by far my biggest regret.

In the meantime my CWC G10 Fatboy continues to hog most of my wrist time. I love these CWC's.

I totally agree, it's not going anywhere that's for sure!
    I have just bought another G10 from SC, I said I have a thing for CWCs. I think I will give this G10 to one of the lads that works for me, the one he got issued in the Army packed up just before Xmas and he has been looking for another!

The value for money arguement is a strange one. When I think of value for money I think of someone buying a watch from Argos for £25.00. I would separate residuals from value for money as two completely different things.

Certainly this watch is not value for money and like any limited edition it is aimed at enthusiasts who are willing to pay a little extra for something that they regard as special. On the residuals point, this watch seems to trade at around £1.7k second hand, so yes we would take an immediate bath if either of us sold, but I suspect neither will, so it's not really a issue.

Don't get me wrong, we all love a good deal. Last week I bought a One year old Hamilton Khaki Automatic Navy Sub for £345.00. This watch has an RRP of £925.00, so someone has taken one hell of a bath on that. It was certainly good value for money from my point of view, although my son liked it so much he immediately took it off me, so maybe not...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I thought five months later I would check to see if anyone took the plunge and actually bought one.

Personally, I like it, but like a lot of people gasped at the £2k price tag. Given that the standard automatic is now in the £900s I would have though £1,200 as a limited edition would have been a good price point.

There are now numerous blog type reviews from Hodinkee and the like and most of those are quite positive.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who bought one and for them to post some in the wild photos in their garden etc, so we can see what it looks like for real.

This is not a WTB, but if anyone fancies flipping, I'll ask for first dibs

Stunning and who said the hands don't match the plots

I must be in a minority of one, but I really like this. Anyone interested needs to read the link below:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/cw...diver-re-issue

Now we have endless debates on here about faux patina and homages, but in this case it is no different to Omega going out of their way to reproduce the 60th anniversary limited editions. CWC have done exactly the same having to have several of the parts built from scratch to match the original for a very small run of watches - helps to explain the price.

I have lifted some real world images from watchuseek - apologies if the owner sees then, but they are very good.

There seems to be some nice touches here, a black gloss dial rather than the usual Matt grey/charcoal, a bezel insert that is very reminiscent of the old Seamaster with the coloured numbers.

Could you imagine the queues if Rolex announced that they were doing a heritage reissue of the milsub, matching everything that was on the original. This is effectively what CWC have done here. Love it, but should I buy one...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I must be in a minority of one, but I really like this. Anyone interested needs to read the link below:

Now we have endless debates on here about faux patina and homages, but in this case it is no different to Omega going out of their way to reproduce the 60th anniversary limited editions. CWC have done exactly the same having to have several of the parts built from scratch to match the original for a very small run of watches - helps to explain the price.

I have lifted some real world images from watchuseek - apologies if the owner sees then, but they are very good.

There seems to be some nice touches here, a black gloss dial rather than the usual Matt grey/charcoal, a bezel insert that is very reminiscent of the old Seamaster with the coloured numbers.

Could you imagine the queues if Rolex announced that they were doing a heritage reissue of the milsub, matching everything that was on the original. This is effectively what CWC have done here. Love it, but should I buy one...
    Those were my original pics from Watchuseek , glad you liked them :-)

Got to say the Cwc was a beautiful watch and I was in the minority thinking it was worth the £2k , however I ended up selling it as in the end the ‘butterscotch’ faux patina was a bit too much for me . If they do another one with slightly toned down patina this year , I may well buy another one .

For what it is worth, I think it is a steal and you have a beauty. Just to hope they don’t keep realising it over and over again as per Omega.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbyman View Post
    For what it is worth, I think it is a steal and you have a beauty. Just to hope they don’t keep realising it over and over again as per Omega.
    Thanks, CWC have stated that the run will be limited to 600 pieces, but unlike Omega these will be available over time rather than all 600 being issued now. There is also a strong possibility of the lume being available in differing shades as the run goes on.

Thanks, CWC have stated that the run will be limited to 600 pieces, but unlike Omega these will be available over time rather than all 600 being issued now. There is also a strong possibility of the lume being available in differing shades as the run goes on.
    About scarcity and price, are the PRS-82 serial numbers still below 600 or so? I haven't heard that a limit has been set, but the new old stock ETA 2783 versions are no longer available, meaning there are only about 450 of those? Are these numbers right?

Master
    I had three of the first CWC quartz divers issued to me in early 1986, whilst Navigator and Diving Officer of a Royal Navy patrol vessel, based in Hong Kong. I do remember that they lit up pretty well under the UV lights of the bars in Manila...

I'll be holding out until they do the reissue of these, later in the year - (T) and Quartz dial and sword mils hour and minute hands, with the lumed bezel and fresh lume...a la recherché du temps Perdu....

Craftsman

I’m generally a CWC fan but 5 months down the line and I’m still not a fan of this. I don’t like faux patina/vintage lume at the best of time but to me it looks particularly cheap and nasty on this watch. Which is ironic because it’s so expensive! Admittedly, I have only seen pictures and it may look better in ‘real life’.
    CWC seem to be pushing themselves out of the very market that they were originally developed for ( hard wearing, simple military/tool watches ) and into one where there is a lot of competition from more well known and established brands.
    Last edited by Bobbyf; 22nd February 2018 at 22:14.

I wouldn't pay £200 for it, never mind £2,000. It just doesn't look anywhere near good enough to justify the price tag.

That pooh brown/orange lume is bad enough, but then the compete lack of colour match on the hands looks awful

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    I’m generally a CWC fan but 5 months down the line and I’m still not a fan of this. I don’t like faux patina/vintage lume at the best of time but to me it looks particularly cheap and nasty on this watch. Which is ironic because it’s so expensive! Admittedly, I have only seen pictures and it may look better in ‘real life’.
    CWC seem to be pushing themselves out of the very market that they were originally developed for ( hard wearing, simple military/tool watches ) and into one where there is a lot of competition from more well known and established brands.
    I'm not keen on the aged lume either, it's the reason I sold (probably stupidly) my PRS-82.

I feel they should beat up the rest of the watch as well, so the case looks like a 40 year old case to match the 40 year old lume. And yes, I know the case can be polished, but it doesn't seem right.

The newly released leather strap that accompanies the reissue watches arrived today.

It gives you an alternative to NATO straps. It is also a useful bit of kit for any watch with fixed bars or one that has 20mm lugs, which includes the entire Speedmaster range. Comes in various colours of stitching, I went for the vintage tan, which is clearly aimed at the 1980 Reissue.

https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...-leather-strap

I have to say it is growing on me
    I thought the price was far too much but every time I see a picture I like it more.
    To the extent I may try to find one.
    £2k for a new CWC is stupid in my mind but the originals are going for more and even the 'new standard' versions are getting in to stupid money.
    Not sure if anyone got the lastest CWC email update the model names but to me that was as clear as mud?????

Apprentice
    I am a faux patina fiend. I know it irritates a lot of people, but there is something about the combination of the ochre and black that I really like. I cannot get enough of the stuff, but the CWC leaves me totally cold. The price is absolutely ridiculous, even conceding that they have had to start from scratch. But neither the case nor the dial look to me 2000£ worth. Oris, Longines, Hamilton, the whole entry tier and many of the micros have better alternatives, such as the PRS-82.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by elmiperru View Post
    Oris, Longines, Hamilton, the whole entry tier and many of the micros have better alternatives, such as the PRS-82.
    Agreed, the PRS-82 offers huge value for money in comparison to this. Especially in its original guise with the old stock movement.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Agreed, the PRS-82 offers huge value for money in comparison to this. Especially in its original guise with the old stock movement.
    How can you tell if it has a old stock movement?

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Beats slower at circa 21k bph, rather than the 28k of a modern eta

I put off buying one for ages and had been looking at CWC and other tool watches for a weekend beach watch. Then one came up on SC and I was chuffed to find it was one of the first 500. The quality is amazing and it’s most definitely a keeper.

Last edited by messym; 22nd February 2018 at 23:59.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by messym View Post
    Beats slower at circa 21k bph, rather than the 28k of a modern eta

I put off buying one for ages and had been looking at CWC and other tool watches for a weekend beach watch. Then one came up on SC and I was chuffed to find it was one of the first 500. The quality is amazing and it’s most definitely a keeper.

But how can you tell looking at it?

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Also, because mine has a serial number (416) and the previous owners can be traced back through the forum and matched with the thread on the “first 500” PRS-82 owners list on the Timefactors page of this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those who grumbled about the lume being too dark, your wish for a lighter dial has been granted.

https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...iver-automatic

The C3 is available immediately and is identical in colour to the modern range of watches, so I don't really get the point of that. The light vintage lume is what some will have been waiting for and will be out soon.

The darker vintage lume has grown on me, so I am quite happy with that.