closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CWC 1980 Royal Navy Diver Re-issue

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    It was a quiet day in the office, so guess who popped along to Silvermans?
    I am currently on the tube on the way home, with 95 sitting in the rucksack!
    Thanks for posting on the Friday thread!
    That's a heck of a lot of watches to buy at one time!!!

It was a quiet day in the office, so guess who popped along to Silvermans?
    I am currently on the tube on the way home, with 95 sitting in the rucksack!
    Thanks for posting on the Friday thread!
    You are very welcome.

Some pics please when you get home.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I must be in a minority of one, but I really like this. Anyone interested needs to read the link below:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/cw...diver-re-issue

Now we have endless debates on here about faux patina and homages, but in this case it is no different to Omega going out of their way to reproduce the 60th anniversary limited editions. CWC have done exactly the same having to have several of the parts built from scratch to match the original for a very small run of watches - helps to explain the price.

I have lifted some real world images from watchuseek - apologies if the owner sees then, but they are very good.

There seems to be some nice touches here, a black gloss dial rather than the usual Matt grey/charcoal, a bezel insert that is very reminiscent of the old Seamaster with the coloured numbers.

Could you imagine the queues if Rolex announced that they were doing a heritage reissue of the milsub, matching everything that was on the original. This is effectively what CWC have done here. Love it, but should I buy one...
    Those were my original pics from Watchuseek , glad you liked them :-)

Got to say the Cwc was a beautiful watch and I was in the minority thinking it was worth the £2k , however I ended up selling it as in the end the ‘butterscotch’ faux patina was a bit too much for me . If they do another one with slightly toned down patina this year , I may well buy another one .

CWC 1980 Royal Navy Diver Re-issue

Well here it is...
    I liked it from day one but the price alway put me off, but seeing Wallasey Runners in the Friday thread, combined with a slow day in the city and having received some good news this morning, I decided to go for it. (Any excuse to get out of the office early)
    I have to say it's even nicer in the flesh than the pictures.
    I agree the official photographer should be sacked, the lume is much closer in both hands and dial in real life It's more brown than the orange it sometimes appears in pictures. That said you can see they are miss matched on the original tritium versions.
    I think is it just different enough to sit alongside the others in the collection.
    The lumed bezel is nice and different to the other two own. The lume on this one works as well in comparison to the 2012 auto versions.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Liking your work
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Well here it is...
    I liked it from day one but the price alway put me off, but seeing Wallasey Runners in the Friday thread, combined with a slow day in the city and having received some good news this morning, I decided to go for it. (Any excuse to get out of the office early)
    I have to say it's even nicer in the flesh than the pictures.
    I agree the official photographer should be sacked, the lume is much closer in both hands and dial in real life It's more brown than the orange it sometimes appears in pictures. That said you can see they are miss matched on the original tritium versions.
    I think is it just different enough to sit alongside the others in the collection.
    The lumed bezel is nice and different to the other two own. The lume on this one works as well in comparison to the 2012 auto versions.
    Excellent, looks fantastic. Did they mention the new strap to you. The stitching on it is supposed to be a perfect match for the lume on the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino7 View Post
    Those were my original pics from Watchuseek , glad you liked them :-)

Got to say the Cwc was a beautiful watch and I was in the minority thinking it was worth the £2k , however I ended up selling it as in the end the ‘butterscotch’ faux patina was a bit too much for me . If they do another one with slightly toned down patina this year , I may well buy another one .
    Apologies for pinching your photos, I was after some real life images and yours were about the best that I came across. Hopefully you should get your wish for a lighter lume on future releases.

Excellent, looks fantastic. Did they mention the new strap to you. The stitching on it is supposed to be a perfect match for the lume on the dial.
    Mal did show me the strap on the one he was wearing. It looks to be great quality, very thick and a lovely dark dark brown colour with contrast brown stitch in double lines. The screw to hold the strap to the bars als .looks good, much like the straps made from Dennison smock on their website, it fact it's the same pattern.
    That said Divers should not be on leather (IMO and I am the last person to talk about sartorial subjects) so mine will stay on the light grey NATO.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    I was going to sell them as another tactical item on SC for a small profit...

Journeyman
    Apologies for pinching your photos, I was after some real life images and yours were about the best that I came across. Hopefully you should get your wish for a lighter lume on future releases.[/QUOTE]

No apologies needed , to be honest seeing this thread (and the pics of the 2 new arrivals ) has me questioning my decision to sell ......

Master
    I have looked at these a few times now and almost bought a number of times. Great design, back story and I even like the lume colour. I just get stuck on the price especially vs my seiko turtles for this level of diver.
    Not sure I am going to ever solve the value issue in my head.....

It’s a really good looking watch - I like it a lot. I’ve got one of the modern quartz’s but I’ll be keeping an eye out for the 83 reissue

Craftsman
    2k is a bit strong for this IMHO.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    Ken and Sinnlover. Well done on buying these and I hope you get much enjoyment from them. What sort of accuracy are you getting from them?

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Ken and Sinnlover. Well done on buying these and I hope you get much enjoyment from them. What sort of accuracy are you getting from them?
    It's a bit early to say for me. But it's with in a second or two of both my PRS18a and MSAR all of which were set using a hack against the last
    Both of which are normally a few seconds a day fast. (if that makes sense)?

A couple of pictures to show how the lume colour changes dependant on light.

Master
    Cheers, Sinnlover. Excellent pictures there. Much better than those on the CWC and Silverman websites.

Master
    Value is in the eye of the beholder. I think for me the value proposition is in how much models like this are truly differentiated from their cheaper less exclusive brethren. I'm not sure any £2k+ watch offers true value for money to anyone but a very small select band of interested parties!

The watch is in no way value for money, especially when compared to the PRS18 or PRS82. (Which I own) But when has this hobby made financial sense? (Excluding the hallowed Rolex)
    For me it's about enjoyment, I do not tend to flip so residuals are not an issue and I have a thing for CWCs so it fits in to the collection.
    However I would say this is better made when compared to my other CWC Divers, the bezel action is perfect, (it's not on the others nor PRS watches) the gloss insert and slightly shorter hands makes the dial look larger, the case is better finished, the dial is gloss and not Matte, and I like the fact they have reverted to the original style case back which makes it wear a bit different.
    At £1500 I don't think I could argue but at £2k you really have to like it which I do.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Thank you. I agree with Sinnlover about the accuracy, probably a couple of seconds a day, but that seems to be the norm. I am sure that the Quartz versions are super accurate. Accuracy in any Automatic is of course subject to how much the watch is worn.

These CWCs can become addictive, I replaced the automatic that I sold to you a while back and I have a Quartz coming in next week.

Variations on a theme!

The value for money arguement is a strange one. When I think of value for money I think of someone buying a watch from Argos for £25.00. I would separate residuals from value for money as two completely different things.

Certainly this watch is not value for money and like any limited edition it is aimed at enthusiasts who are willing to pay a little extra for something that they regard as special. On the residuals point, this watch seems to trade at around £1.7k second hand, so yes we would take an immediate bath if either of us sold, but I suspect neither will, so it's not really a issue.

Don't get me wrong, we all love a good deal. Last week I bought a One year old Hamilton Khaki Automatic Navy Sub for £345.00. This watch has an RRP of £925.00, so someone has taken one hell of a bath on that. It was certainly good value for money from my point of view, although my son liked it so much he immediately took it off me, so maybe not...

I totally agree, it's not going anywhere that's for sure!
    I have just bought another G10 from SC, I said I have a thing for CWCs. I think I will give this G10 to one of the lads that works for me, the one he got issued in the Army packed up just before Xmas and he has been looking for another!

Master
    The value for money point (for me at least) is the alternatives that I could buy (as I do not have an unlimited budget). As an example, for about a third of the price of the CWC I could have a SBDC053. Some similarities and some differences, but I will not spend to have both, so the aim is to make a choice where I get the most pleasure/value for money spent.

Decisions, decisions...

Anyway congrats to those who have bought the CWC. Looks to be a great choice, so enjoy !

Fanastic to hear about your purchases and sharing of some great quality real life pics. I was one of those that followed this watch with interest from when it was first announced, but the price came as a shock and I wasn't so keen on the lume colour used for the dial markers. I had heard about them toning it down for a future batch, now this would be a great interest.

Only issue should I find myself with the funds to buy one, I so strongly miss my CWC 70's Pilot Chronograph reissue that I would be really torn between where to spend it. Of all the watches I have sold over the years selling that one has been by far my biggest regret.

In the meantime my CWC G10 Fatboy continues to hog most of my wrist time. I love these CWC's.

I am waiting for SWMBO to do her hair before we go out so one last picture to show the lume.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 3rd March 2018 at 19:59.

Stunning and who said the hands don't match the plots

Craftsman

The watch is in no way value for money, especially when compared to the PRS18 or PRS82. (Which I own) But when has this hobby made financial sense? (Excluding the hallowed Rolex)
    For me it's about enjoyment, I do not tend to flip so residuals are not an issue and I have a thing for CWCs so it fits in to the collection.
    However I would say this is better made when compared to my other CWC Divers, the bezel action is perfect, (it's not on the others nor PRS watches) the gloss insert and slightly shorter hands makes the dial look larger, the case is better finished, the dial is gloss and not Matte, and I like the fact they have reverted to the original style case back which makes it wear a bit different.
    At £1500 I don't think I could argue but at £2k you really have to like it which I do.
    Interesting to hear your thoughts on the quality compared to the standard CWC Divers. I hadn’t actually considered it before now. Also, I did not know that the numbers on the bezel were lumped too. Having seen your collection in previous posts I would agree that this CWC certainly fills a gap and will be a nice addition.
    I appreciate you and Wallasey updating the thread with your first hand experiences.
    Last edited by Bobbyf; 4th March 2018 at 00:04.

The newly released leather strap that accompanies the reissue watches arrived today.

It gives you an alternative to NATO straps. It is also a useful bit of kit for any watch with fixed bars or one that has 20mm lugs, which includes the entire Speedmaster range. Comes in various colours of stitching, I went for the vintage tan, which is clearly aimed at the 1980 Reissue.

https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...-leather-strap

Blog Entries
    Its a lovely watch regardless of the price I think . That brown strap really makes the dial ‘pop’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must be in a minority of one, but I really like this. Anyone interested needs to read the link below:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/cw...diver-re-issue

Now we have endless debates on here about faux patina and homages, but in this case it is no different to Omega going out of their way to reproduce the 60th anniversary limited editions. CWC have done exactly the same having to have several of the parts built from scratch to match the original for a very small run of watches - helps to explain the price.

I have lifted some real world images from watchuseek - apologies if the owner sees then, but they are very good.

There seems to be some nice touches here, a black gloss dial rather than the usual Matt grey/charcoal, a bezel insert that is very reminiscent of the old Seamaster with the coloured numbers.

Could you imagine the queues if Rolex announced that they were doing a heritage reissue of the milsub, matching everything that was on the original. This is effectively what CWC have done here. Love it, but should I buy one...
    For what it is worth, I think it is a steal and you have a beauty. Just to hope they don’t keep realising it over and over again as per Omega.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbyman View Post
    For what it is worth, I think it is a steal and you have a beauty. Just to hope they don’t keep realising it over and over again as per Omega.
    Thanks, CWC have stated that the run will be limited to 600 pieces, but unlike Omega these will be available over time rather than all 600 being issued now. There is also a strong possibility of the lume being available in differing shades as the run goes on.

For those who grumbled about the lume being too dark, your wish for a lighter dial has been granted.

https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...iver-automatic

The C3 is available immediately and is identical in colour to the modern range of watches, so I don't really get the point of that. The light vintage lume is what some will have been waiting for and will be out soon.

The darker vintage lume has grown on me, so I am quite happy with that.

I notice they are including the leather strap in the package as well now
    The lighter lume looks nice but I too will stick with the darker version
    I am trying to convince myself that I don't need the 1983 version

I am trying to convince myself that I don't need the 1983 version
    You don't need that 1983 watch on the site at the moment, but later this year when the reissue edition comes out, you will need one for the collection

Thanks, CWC have stated that the run will be limited to 600 pieces, but unlike Omega these will be available over time rather than all 600 being issued now. There is also a strong possibility of the lume being available in differing shades as the run goes on.
    About scarcity and price, are the PRS-82 serial numbers still below 600 or so? I haven't heard that a limit has been set, but the new old stock ETA 2783 versions are no longer available, meaning there are only about 450 of those? Are these numbers right?

Master
    I had three of the first CWC quartz divers issued to me in early 1986, whilst Navigator and Diving Officer of a Royal Navy patrol vessel, based in Hong Kong. I do remember that they lit up pretty well under the UV lights of the bars in Manila...

I'll be holding out until they do the reissue of these, later in the year - (T) and Quartz dial and sword mils hour and minute hands, with the lumed bezel and fresh lume...a la recherché du temps Perdu....

If anyone wants one of these for next to nothing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CWC-1980-...gAAOSw4Epa1Kgd

I have seen a few sell around the £1.7k mark, but this guy must be stark raving mad.

An absolute steal for someone - be quick...

That didn't last long. I offered him £750 and before he could respond someone clicked on buy it now.

Hope it was one of you guys.

Talk about throwing your money away, he could have got £1.6k to £1.7k quite easily.

That has to be the most stupid sale that I have seen for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Nice enough but £1,999? Why?

https://www.cwcwatch.com/products/re...iver-automatic

Eddie
    Because it costs £250 to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Artium View Post
    Because it costs £250 to make it.
    And this insider information comes from?

The case, the dial, the hands and the overall package had to be manufactured from scratch for a limited run of 600 peices, so I would suggest that you are way off the mark.

Whether it's worth £2k or not is up to the buyer, but I would suggest this model cost more to make than a standard model.

The guy who bought the one on e-bay should clear £1k profit with ease if they sell.

The guy who bought the one on eBay certainly isn't looking to make a profit on it.

I had number 031/17 reserved for me last year and went to see it in person. I really liked it but couldn't justify the price at the time and knew that they also had a guy in France who had missed out on "my" number so I let it go to him. Hopefully this is a bit of watch karma coming back to me...

The guy who bought the one on eBay is extremely grateful to Ken for the heads up and would very much appreciate a PM from Ken with his address details so that he can arrange to send something appropriate as a token of that appreciation.

All the best,

Paul

What a nice post! I immensely benefited from people on this forum, responding to WTB posts, pointing out when someone in sc was unaware that what was being sold was not legit and I had no idea... pointing out things for sale at a good price etc etc. It’s good to see a good price watch be received and appreciated instead of moving on for a profit.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lawnmowerman78 View Post
    The guy who bought the one on eBay certainly isn't looking to make a profit on it.

I had number 031/17 reserved for me last year and went to see it in person. I really liked it but couldn't justify the price at the time and knew that they also had a guy in France who had missed out on "my" number so I let it go to him. Hopefully this is a bit of watch karma coming back to me...

The guy who bought the one on eBay is extremely grateful to Ken for the heads up and would very much appreciate a PM from Ken with his address details so that he can arrange to send something appropriate as a token of that appreciation.

All the best,

Paul
    Hi Paul,

Absolutely delighted for you and that the watch went to someone on here. I pinged the guy a £750 offer, but he never got to respond. I really cannot get my head around why he would price that watch at £800, it just didn't make sense. It is like someone asking £2.5k for a Submariner. I have seen three or four sell and they all go around the £1.6k to £1.7k mark. So why ask £800. As stated earlier, has to be one of the most stupid listings that I have seen in many years.

It is of course fantastic for you and welcome to the owners club.

Ken

Master
    I have an eBay search saved for this that I check regularly. This must have sold really quick !
    If only.....

Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    I have an eBay search saved for this that I check regularly. This must have sold really quick !
    If only.....
    I posted on here about 10 mins after it was listed and it was sold within another 10 mins. I spent last night thinking why didn't I just click buy now, but now I know it has come to the forum I think that is a much better outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by lawnmowerman78 View Post

All the best,

Paul
    That's absolutely brilliant, congratulations! Now that is a price I would have payed!

I have the one with C3 Super Luminova. It’s the clearest, highest quality milspec dive watch i have ever had the pleasure to own...

Last edited by AndySquirrel; 17th August 2018 at 14:16.

^looks fantastic, good to see one on the forum and some real life pics. I think if I was ever able to get one my choice would be the light vintage. In all honesty though I like all the versions now.

Craftsman
    See I really like these but those prices are extortionate.

Diving under The Thames