closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Golf - stand bag recommendations

Golf - stand bag recommendations

always used to have a trolley and a cart bag but looking to resurrect my golf and start carrying my clubs.
    Had a quick look around the net and at a few bags in American Golf but really not sure what is better than anything else as without filling the bags with clubs and walking they all seem pretty similar though vary a lot in price.

Any recommendations?

Should I just go with the cheapest decent make I can find? Think I want at least a four way top but other than that I'm pretty easy. Are waterproof bags a good idea? Not really planning on playing in serious rain at the moment and I assume normal bags are not too bad at keeping out light rain.

Craftsman
    izzo for me ...still trip over it though

Master
    I have a Sun Mountain 3 5 LS and it is OK the legs are a little slow to lift up but it is good other than that, I would go Callaway Tiltlist or SM.
    Water Proof only adds weight, what will you be taking to play golf that is not water proof. I take a small plastic bag for phone and wallet.

Craftsman
    Sun Mountain are good but pricey. Titleist bags used to be made by Sun Mountain but unsure if they still are? Ping are well made as well.

Master
    SM user here for c25 yrs, am on my 3rd which is a waterproof bag and it's lasted c250 rounds and the only negative is the strap wore through where it attaches to the bag due to the design. The disappointing thing is that it's not designed for worn parts to be replaced i.e. the strap is rivetted to the bag so when it wears through you can't simply hook on a new strap - crazy. Bags are now made to be used for c3years/150 rounds or whatever and thrown away. At £75 for a Titleist bag anything other than minor repairs are not cost effective. My SMs have lasted c8+yrs/450+ rounds of golf on average so pretty good and seemingly better than my mates' cheaper bags.

Sun Mountain here too, been very happy with the quality. I've got the waterproof version which I do recommend given the fantastic UK weather. I also have a true holiday carry bag which is really light and great for a quick round, but not great as an only bag.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I carry during the winter, have a titleist carry bag. 5 years old, the white isn't as bright as it once was but that's only a small panel on a predominantly black and red bag. All zips intact. Would recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by catflap View Post
    always used to have a trolley and a cart bag but looking to resurrect my golf and start carrying my clubs.
    Had a quick look around the net and at a few bags in American Golf but really not sure what is better than anything else as without filling the bags with clubs and walking they all seem pretty similar though vary a lot in price.

Any recommendations?

Should I just go with the cheapest decent make I can find? Think I want at least a four way top but other than that I'm pretty easy. Are waterproof bags a good idea? Not really planning on playing in serious rain at the moment and I assume normal bags are not too bad at keeping out light rain.

Can't help with the bag, but having recently started playing again I'm curious. What's the thinking behind resurrecting your game by carrying your clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Can't help with the bag, but having recently started playing again I'm curious. What's the thinking behind resurrecting your game by carrying your clubs?
    I have to agree with this? Seems like a male 'Badge of Honour' carrying clubs. I play with golfers from 16 to 75+ the older players seem to think that carrying is the thing to do...then they complain of fatigue or back ache. Then they have to sit and slow the group up.
    If your interested in improving your game... carrying won't help. So many great trolleys on the market. I use a buggy Electrokart as I'm disabled but use a trolley for nine holes. Tiredness is the best way to ruin a good round, best only carry when the course has a buggy ban on with half a set or employ a caddy!
    Good luck with your resurrection!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GMC41 View Post
    Sun Mountain are good but pricey. Titleist bags used to be made by Sun Mountain but unsure if they still are? Ping are well made as well.
    I have an old hoofer which is great , changed the strap though

Recently bought a new one and settled on a Bag Boy. Seemed similarly well made compared to Sun Mountain, Ping etc and I preferred the look. No complaints thus far and standing up the rain very well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I recently bought a waterproof Sun Mountain bag and I am very happy with it.

Banned
    Strange, I’ve just upgraded all my gear too. Ordered a SM 2 Five carry for the sole purpose of forcing me to carry (much) less and have a session booked to try new irons this weekend - fancy the Taylor Made M2’s.

Take a look at Big Max bags. Excellent quality and value for money.
    I’ve got a Mizuno waterproof carry bag which is down to £95 from £149 in some places. It’s a great bag. Holds all you’d need

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    Take a look at Big Max bags. Excellent quality and value for money.
    I’ve got a Mizuno waterproof carry bag which is down to £95 from £149 in some places. It’s a great bag. Holds all you’d need
    That Mizuno is one that is on my short list along with the non waterproof version that weighs a bit less and costs a bit less.

Noticed the strap connects a bit differently to most others in that it can slide and adjust. Does this work ok?

Came across Big Max bags and was a bit sceptical but apparently they are huge in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by catflap View Post
    That Mizuno is one that is on my short list along with the non waterproof version that weighs a bit less and costs a bit less.

Noticed the strap connects a bit differently to most others in that it can slide and adjust. Does this work ok?

Came across Big Max bags and was a bit sceptical but apparently they are huge in Europe.
    The strap on the Mizuno bag is fine and, unlike a lot of waterproof carry bags, it has a cooler pocket for bottles.

I had two Titleist Sta Dry bags before the Mizuno and both got sent back with problems. I’ve had the Mizuno just over a year and it’s been problem free and very comfortable to carry.

I recently replaced my old Sun Mountain 3.5 bag which was a great, with a new Sun Mountain HN20 14 way and to be honest I'm a bit disappointed.

Part of the bag failed half way through my 10th round of golf and it took a couple of weeks to get a replacement through Clubhouse Golf. Its fine now but I've heard other other similar faults so would be wary about this particular model.

Another peculiar design fault is that with the waterproof bags you have taped seams which do well at keeping the water out but when the bag is over your shoulder the zip for the large ball pouch is very hard to shift with one hand. As a result I kept on losing balls from the open pocket.

I was going to get rid of it but in the end just moved the balls to the smaller side pocket. #firstworldproblems

I would check out the reviews from My Golf Spy who rated the stand bags last year. Its a US based site but market leaders in golf reviews I would say. Also check out Vice golf who are new to the market and make some nice looking carry bags if you are interested in something less obvious.

https://mygolfspy.com/2016-most-wanted-stand-bag/

http://www.vicegolf.com/uk/vice-golf-force-bag-neongrey

Further to my earlier post, it's a genuine question - what's the benefit of carrying the clubs? Just started playing again and not sure why you'd want to carry. Am I missing something?

Further to my earlier post, it's a genuine question - what's the benefit of carrying the clubs? Just started playing again and not sure why you'd want to carry. Am I missing something?
    There's probably little extra benefit other than a few more calories burned with the flip side that your back / shoulders might be sore.

Also I suppose it saves you a few hundred quid and less hassle with having to charge it.

As long as you are reasonably fit and don't over stuff your bag I think its still a good option but each to their own. Its very subjective but I just don't like seeing fit 'youngish' men using Powerkaddys etc.

Always just looks like its another unnecessary 'look at me' gadget, so unless you have a bad back or you're say 60 then I'd be carrying.

But to be fair its no worse an unnecessary gadget than a £6000 watch!

I use a trolley all summer for a full round then use my stand bag for evenings and winter. I prefer a stand bag in the winter because the courses get muddier, some courses have 90 degree rules for trolleys (i.e. you keep trolley in rough and stop at the side of your ball) and carrying a bag is just so much easier. Clothes are cleaner from not walking in the mud as much and the trolleys are heavier going in the winter.

Grand Master
    I use a sun mountain H2NO, got it in the half price sale at american golf recently, they are really nice bags and seem to be comfy and strong.

The main things to look for in a carry bag for me are simple:

1. Do the clubs go in and out easily, you wouldn't believe the hassle you have with some as they have linings that foul and when wet or damaged are a nightmare, check for easy use.

2. Protection around the top, last thing you want is cheap or hard foam/packing at the top where you end up getting rub marks on your clubs, i lost a hybrid due to the damage that occurred from this (the protection wore away to hard plastic).

3. Enough easily accessible pockets to store what is needed, and at least one lined pocket for phones/wallet/etc.

As for why i carry instead of using a trolley, i find it easier throughout a round, if you're going in deep rough or rough terrain you can still have the bag, you can walk across greens with it instead of around and so on, as well as using it in winter when courses ban push/pull trolleys due to soggy ground.

Craftsman
    I use a trolley all summer for a full round then use my stand bag for evenings and winter. I prefer a stand bag in the winter because the courses get muddier, some courses have 90 degree rules for trolleys (i.e. you keep trolley in rough and stop at the side of your ball) and carrying a bag is just so much easier. Clothes are cleaner from not walking in the mud as much and the trolleys are heavier going in the winter.
    I'm in the same camp as you. Push trolley for the summer season (click gear 3.0. Brilliant trolley) then as soon as wi her wheels are required I switch over to carrying. For the above mentioned reasons.

Master
    I carry year round - I've got an old Nike bag which I'm considering upgrading soon (it seems to be holding up OK at the mo).

I travel light on the course so I've never really considered trolleys etc. No doubt my back won't thank me in a few years time however.

I think it's just a matter of what suits you best. When I play on a Saturday medal I will use a trolley, mostly due to the long round time and the ability to carry waterproofs/water etc. However if I play on a Sun afternoon I'll usually carry, as I feel it's a bit quicker for me to get around as a single.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Another vote for the Sun Mountain H2NO, great bag and the 14 individual dividers are great, it's nice and light, I got mine off eBay, brand new for £80.

Sun Mountain make bags for about 75% of the OEM market.....all branded as other leading golf brands. I've had a few (carry and cart) and you cannot go wrong and they are worth what they will cost.

That recent American Golf deal was brilliant for just £99!

If they were still £99 then it would have been an easy choice!!!!

Always late to the party :-)

Craftsman
    Sun Mountain....always

I have a TaylorMade Hyperflex. Light and offers more than enough space.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I use a Titleist staff stand bag, very comfy to carry and fits on my motocaddy for comps 👍🏼

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by P ELLIS View Post
    I have an old hoofer which is great , changed the strap though
    I've owned a couple of Hoofers over the years and always found the straps ok. I still prefer them to the Sun Mountain I now own but at the time of purchase Ping didn't offer a waterproof bag.

Banned
    So I ordered the Sun Moubtain, although it’s yet to arrive.

Sold a watch yesterday, so ended up with a new set of Taylor Made M2 irons, a nice wedge, stonking new driver and the Spider Toir putter in black. Factory order in the irons adding an upright two degrees to the lie, so will be a couple of weeks. First time I’ve had a good ‘all at once’ spend in the golf shop, but took my time and pleased with the decisions I made.

That will give me 12 clubs in the bag, which is more than enough for a player of my ability.

Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    So I ordered the Sun Moubtain, although it’s yet to arrive.

Sold a watch yesterday, so ended up with a new set of Taylor Made M2 irons, a nice wedge, stonking new driver and the Spider Toir putter in black. Factory order in the irons adding an upright two degrees to the lie, so will be a couple of weeks. First time I’ve had a good ‘all at once’ spend in the golf shop, but took my time and pleased with the decisions I made.

That will give me 12 clubs in the bag, which is more than enough for a player of my ability.
    ive just switched over to the Spider Tour putter, its a fantastic club. Enjoy!!

Banned
    ive just switched over to the Spider Tour putter, its a fantastic club. Enjoy!!
    Thanks!

I tried all variants for quite a spell on the practice green and really wanted to choose the red, but it was the thicker grip which I preferred, but my putts were better with the black (different inserts as you’ll know) so decided to go black and play a round with the thinner grip before possibly making a change.

How are you finding the lack of a sight line?