closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko vs washing machine

Craftsman

Seiko vs washing machine

I couldn't find the Samurai yesterday. Looked high and low and it was nowhere to be seen.
    However, this morning I went to*empty*the washing machine, and guess what was sitting at the front of the drum looking at me! You guessed it....the Samurai.
    By the looks of it, it must have been in one of my pockets when I loaded the machine up the day before and set the timer. That'll teach me to check properly.
    Unfortunately, it looks like it's come out of my pocket during the wash and settled sitting against the drum. As a result the spinning drum has worn away and marked the case on the left hand side. By the looks of it now after has got in as the crown was still screwed down.*
    As you can understand I'm not happy, but it's my own fault at the end of the day.
    How easy would it be to fix the case and make it look a bit better, before I start looking to to source a Pepsi bezel one to ease the pain I'm feeling. :D

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    The damage doesn't look too bad. Is the bezel turning properly? Maybe you should leave the watch as is, and show proudly the battle scars. After all not many watches have been in a washing machine.

Also how is the timekeeping?

Sent from my SM-G955F using TZ-UK mobile app

^ I agree, would be inclined to leave it :)

Leave it like that. And if you want a watch to put in your pocket, get a pocket watch. This one is meant to be on your wrist and stay there.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post
    The damage doesn't look too bad. Is the bezel turning properly? Maybe you should leave the watch as is, and show proudly the battle scars. After all not many watches have been in a washing machine.

Also how is the timekeeping?

Sent from my SM-G955F using TZ-UK mobile app
    The bezel is a little harder to move than it was before. Timekeeping seems ok.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    That's not too bad- new bezel gasket or a v light rub of silicon grease will probably sort the bezel
    On the up side it's had a good 'wind'

Master
    If it still works fine, who cares??? Just invent some spuriously exciting explanation for its 'battle scars' if anyone asks, and enjoy wearing it! After all, its great to know that your watch is seemingly indestructible!

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    If it still works fine, who cares??? Just invent some spuriously exciting explanation for its 'battle scars' if anyone asks, and enjoy wearing it! After all, its great to know that your watch is seemingly indestructible!
    Ha ha, yes you could sell it as genuine SAS issue! You could make a small fortune. On a serious note, I'm sure you could source a replacement bezel and have the case polished up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

When I posted this a few days ago I should have added 'Don't try this at home'.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Why would you put a woollen jumper in a washing machine, let alone cashmere? It's like putting your watch in.
    Hope you get it sorted.

They're not, in my view*, a pretty watch so I'd live with it.

* I've had one and it didn't stay long.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Blog Entries
    The scratching doesn't look deep, so a Cape Cod cloth to put a polish on it, or a Dremel with the brushing wheel to brush over the scratching should be short work.

Craftsman
    I've knocked a few watches on door frames but never have had any incident like this, I do feel your pain. Hopefully the imminent arrival of your new Speedy might ease it...?

Blog Entries
    It’s built to take much worse surely ?

I’m more curious how the blue sticker from the factory stayed on and didn’t lose its er ....stickiness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Bought a new watch winder. Zero to 40hours power reserve in 60 seconds. 1200rpm but a bit noisier than the last one.

But seriously - I feel your pain. I keep on of mine in an old pair of socks (makes me shudder thinking about it)

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    That's the approach that I used when someone mentioned the bezel damage on my Heuer 100M Pro. I told them it happened in a diving accident, which was totally true.

I then steer the conversation on to something else so I don't have to provide details.

Because the details include the words "Centre Parcs" and "Subtropical Swimming Paradise".

Not quite working on an oil rig nor shark fighting off the Australian coast, but still it was technically a "diving accident"

Bit of wabi sabi is fine on a seiko. I look like I’ve been through a washing machine these days...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Let it show off its scars proudly. But maybe change the story to a shark attack or something.

My Seiko had been in the washer, thrown down stairs, used as a rattle by my son to name just a few activities and it still works perfectly fine. The scratches just act as a reminder of how tough and well built this £240 watch is!

It looks like the machine had scratched off the coating on the case..no sure if this might help if you can find one.

Looks like the case back stickers still intact though.