closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TGV urban gentry limited edition Squale

I've only recently come across his channel, so have only really watched the more recent videos. I find him quite engaging and entirely bearable in the main, but I did watch a video of his from a few years ago and felt there was a marked difference in his 'personality/persona' in the older video which made him grate a bit on me - perhaps his 'style' has softened over the years?

Craftsman
    Only watched a few from his channel, the intros wound me up more than anything. Other day he was flying a toy plane around a room making plane noises.....
    He is churning out a lot of content and does engage quite well with his subscribers etc, from that side of things you can’t fault him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have better things to do with my money (and time) but if you want to chip in to help Archie buy, review and then destroy a Lion Shark...
    https://www.gofundme.com/squalereview

Blog Entries
    Haha ^^^

Oh, that's a tempting donation. I don't mind TGV, but I can see why people dislike him and I can forgive him for most of those faults in the pursuit of enjoying himself and creating some enjoyable content (others may disagree, fair enough) - BUT - that colour scheme is unforgiveable and the tie-in is tenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by caye031 View Post
    There is a little joke running in my circle of watch friends, if you not sure if you should buy a certain watch, go watch TGV video. The joke being that we never heard him say anything bad about any of the watches he reviews. Common wisdom is to watch his videos with sound turned off so you can concentrate on how watch looks and not listen to him fawning over it.

Unfortunately, that is often the case with many youtube reviewers, as well as with many popular web sites.
    That's true of most things. Most of the journalists seem to be freelance. It Makes sense that they'd request pieces that they're interested in to begin with, why waste your time/money otherwise?

Genuine question - who are watches like this supposed to be aimed at?

I can imagine the conversation in the pub:
    "hey, what's that logo thing on your watch"
    "oh, it's a family crest"
    "Didn't know you had a family crest?"
    Oh, er... I don't, it's the family crest of, er...well a guy on youtube actually... he does videos about watches and stuff..."
    *All friends get up and leave*

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I have better things to do with my money (and time) but if you want to chip in to help Archie buy, review and then destroy a Lion Shark...
    https://www.gofundme.com/squalereview
    How much?!

Ahh. I forgot, it's because he doesn't do for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post

Oh, er... I don't, it's the family crest of, er...well a guy on youtube actually... he does videos about watches and stuff..."
    Yes it's an odd logo for a dive watch.

I quite like the Squale shark logo, but compare the Squale logo on the website which has a very shark like nose and mouth to the Squale logo printed on the watch, it's too long, it looks odd, more like a fish or cat fish head.

I wouldn’t buy a limited edition Rolex for 10p if it was associated with TGV.

If I ever let YouTube run and the next auto play video is one of his I move like lightning to hit the skip button. He makes my skin crawl.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I wouldn’t buy a limited edition Rolex for 10p if it was associated with TGV.

If I ever let YouTube run and the next auto play video is one of his I move like lightning to hit the skip button. He makes my skin crawl.
    I think you can block a channel. Don't exert yourself on his behalf.

Master
    ''Great hatred in a little room.''

Blog Entries

TGV urban gentry limited edition Squale

I guess the gimmick logo branding of decently made watches , well it’s a tad lower down the scale form of or as bad as the 007 tie in omegas.

But of that ilk nonetheless and pretty hammy .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post

That conversation would never happen in a pub. Not even at a tz gtg. Mainly due to the generally held view that there are over 1 million more interesting topics than watches. ;-)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by ordo View Post
    I can accept watches teaming up with really important figures (politicians, athletes, artists, etc.) and make a watch together but for a youtuber that does watch reviews that's kind of weird if you ask me...

I have nothing against him and I don't watch youtube videos about watches unless it's about repairing/restoring or if I need info and footage of a watch that I can't find pictures of on the internet.

I'm assuming the video at cause is this one ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=oufOIzzNOq4 Hope I'm allowed to post YT links.

He keeps saying "I designed this watch..." "I designed this dial..." but in all reality they just changed the colors and removed the calendar feature.

Their watches are really nice, overall, though.
    The Omega Speedy Tuesday was also done by RJ from Fratello, and that has been a massive hit. Obviously being a gorgeous watch has helped. Of course no way I'm equating RJ to TGV

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

As someone who has fairly recently (last 12 months) got into watch collecting I have to say I've really enjoyed watching TVG's content. His enthusiasm is infectious and the production quality is streets ahead of most other YouTube watch channels. I really like that he dedicates so much airtime to brands like Seiko, Timex and Casio. I recently got hold of a Timex Navi Harbour off the back of his review and was really happy with it, and have bought and sold a number of Seiko 5's too and really enjoyed doing so.

People take these things way too seriously. He's just a guy who clearly loves watches, he repeatedly says he's an enthusiast not an expert, and I think some of what he does (the white glove reviews) is a touch tongue in cheek. He's managed to take his hobby and turn it into a brand that works for him - good luck to him I say. Really don't get why people have to be so negative or vindictive, probably says more about them than anything else.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Possibly the most watched You Tube blog. He's ok, perfectly affable. I must confess I enjoy some watch blogs...especially Tim Mosso.
    Tim Mosso is a true legend for sure. I don’t think there is a more knowledgeable person than him.

Craftsman
    I watch a lot of watch content on YouTube but I can't stand that guy... ergh

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    In the few vids I've watched, I've always found him to be a pretentious kn*b but seems to have a following for some reason. I'm sure he'll flog all the watches, so good luck to him.
    Me too. I find everything about him to be fake. He his "posh" accent is put in.

He tries to act all cultured and well read but you can't tell it's all fluff because he uses certain words inappropriately. E.g. constantly describing watch collecting as being into horology? No, you nor I are interested in the science of time keeping, we're not into wall clocks, sand timbers, sundials, or mechanics/engineering of watches. We just admire wristwatches. He'd describe a watch as a horological marvel. He's just using obscure words to come across sophisticated but the misuse of the word just makes him look try hard, desperate and vain.

His "family crest" is probably fake, it looks very modern. Is he an aristocrat? If so what is his family lineage? I think it's all made up.

Most Americans can't tell the difference between someone whose really posh and someone whose fake. So he can have all this stuff put on and they won't be none the wiser.
    Last edited by totalwise; 2nd August 2018 at 01:06.

Quote Originally Posted by totalwise View Post
    Me too. I find everything about him to be fake. He his "posh" accent is put in.

He tries to act all cultured and well read but you can't tell it's all fluff because he uses certain words inappropriately. E.g. constantly describing watch collecting as being into horology? No, you nor I are interested in the science of time keeping, we're not into wall clocks, sand timbers, sundials, or mechanics/engineering of watches. We just admire wristwatches. He'd describe a watch as a horological marvel. He's just using obscure words to come across sophisticated but the misuse of the word just makes him look try hard, desperate and vain.

His "family crest" is probably fake, it looks very modern. Is he an aristocrat? If so what is his family lineage? I think it's all made up.

Most Americans can't tell the difference between someone whose really posh and someone whose fake. So he can have all this stuff put on and they won't be none the wiser.
    You are TVG and I claim my £5!

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Lmfao sprayed my tea. Was it the “won’t be none the wiser”?

Well I guess he's doing something right, that monstrosity of a watch sold out.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Well I guess he's doing something right, that monstrosity of a watch sold out.
    I saw on WUS a month or two ago that TGV and Chris Vail (NTH watches) have collaborated on a watch. The watch holds no interest for me as I do not like TGV or NTH watches, but I'm sure it will sell well.

Initially on starting to read this thread, I had no idea who you were talking about, until I looked him up.
    I recently discovered his videos while researching various GMT watches.
    To be fair, I did find them ok, I have seen much worse.
    The only thing that middle annoyed me was the classical music - nothing against classical, however, I was trying to listen to what he was saying.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I thought that was really funny,

Journeyman
    Not sure why all the hate for TGV? i enjoy his content. Is there any real proof that his personality & background are not genuine?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashman86 View Post
    Not sure why all the hate for TGV? i enjoy his content. Is there any real proof that his personality & background are not genuine?
    I think the concern is his personality IS genuine! He does come across as a tad pretentious and obsequious. Personally, I don’t dislike him- each to their own- but I can understand why he might annoy others. I just avoid his channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashman86 View Post
    A lot of animosity from some on here for TGV. He is making pretty decent content as far as I am concerned. The vitriol seems like begrudgery to me.
    Last edited by johnthemull; 2nd August 2018 at 13:13.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    I think the concern is his personality IS genuine!
    Ha. Yeah he's quite affected, playing the Englishman in New York and definitely targeting the american viewers - this side of the pond, wouldn't you be more likely to hide any aristocratic heritage. I can definitely see it winding some up, I just find it quite funny.

I found him when first contemplating my blue dial navitimer and he was the only video I could find, and often his production is better and more engaging than others so I don't mind the odd one popping up now and again.

I think the first video I saw he was waiting in a departure lounge and was like "Oh sorry guys, they're just calling my plane, I've gotta go" - mate, it's not like WE started videoing you?!

Master
    His everyday carry videos annoy me greatly !

A torch ???? A spare hardrive ???? A phillips screw driver ????? A copy of Michelangelos greatest work ??

Stop it you try hard !!!

Journeyman
    Love a bit of TGV. Anything that gets people to love all things watches can’t be bad

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I think his video's are watchable but a bit too long. I've watched him for a while and appreciate he comments on the more affordable end of the spectrum but he now seems to be a wee bit up his own chuff like the awful Theo who can apparently lick his own prostate.

Craftsman
    Vintage squale (NOS, when they were second brand, spirotechnique) is likable but they somehow ruined that. Some of the watches are just groce.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    I think his video's are watchable but a bit too long. I've watched him for a while and appreciate he comments on the more affordable end of the spectrum but he now seems to be a wee bit up his own chuff like the awful Theo who can apparently lick his own prostate.
    Now that's funny!

Craftsman
    Definitely true though!

The problem with TGV is not so much him but his entourage. He has a legion of idiotic followers who will troll you for daring to disagree. I'm sure it has become some kind of cult.

There are genuinely people in the group who rate a squale as their grail watch. Now don't get me wrong, each and everyone of us has their own budget and that's fair enough, but he seems to have convinced certain followers that a squale is equivalent to a Submariner and questioning that will result in pitchforks. Selling junk to idiots doesn't sit well with me, even if caveat emptor.

And T&H? Full of redials, water damaged pieces and crazy prices in the shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbob View Post
    Now that's funny!
    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post
    Definitely true though!

The problem with TGV is not so much him but his entourage. He has a legion of idiotic followers who will troll you for daring to disagree. I'm sure it has become some kind of cult.

There are genuinely people in the group who rate a squale as their grail watch. Now don't get me wrong, each and everyone of us has their own budget and that's fair enough, but he seems to have convinced certain followers that a squale is equivalent to a Submariner and questioning that will result in pitchforks. Selling junk to idiots doesn't sit well with me, even if caveat emptor.

And T&H? Full of redials, water damaged pieces and crazy prices in the shop.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    You are absolutely spot on in your assessment. I noticed Chris Vail from NTH watches attracts the same kind of trolls over at WUS. God forbid you should disagree with one of these TGV or Chris Vail fanboys.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post

A torch ???? A spare hardrive ???? A phillips screw driver ????? A copy of Michelangelos greatest work ??

Stop it you try hard !!!
    pmsl.. never saw that vid but i know this is exactly the sort of crap he'd do.

I quite like TGV's presentation style but there is a definite move of late towards microbrands, particularly American microbrands. I can't help but feel he's playing a sort of shill game for the likes of the insufferable Doc Vail and the videos are becoming little more than extended adverts and clickbait of the "FIVE WATCHES YOU MUST SEE TO BELIEVE!" type of thing.

It's a shame, but instead of honest reviews, we get paid-for endorsements.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I quite like TGV's presentation style but there is a definite move of late towards microbrands, particularly American microbrands. I can't help but feel he's playing a sort of shill game for the likes of the insufferable Doc Vail and the videos are becoming little more than extended adverts and clickbait of the "FIVE WATCHES YOU MUST SEE TO BELIEVE!" type of thing.

100% pure shill. It's painful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post

Stop it you try hard !!!

Yes , ridiculous . Opinels , TGV inscribed Parker pens , knives , spare NATO’s , spare g shock just incase . Yes and my favourite- a big fat man bag to put it all in !

Blog Entries
    I still like the channel regardless of all the critiques .

https://youtu.be/RRAHpgAbMmU

Blog Entries
    https://youtu.be/pmXY7Dl_T8Y

Enjoy

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post

As annoying as TGV may be he is not nearly as insufferable as Doc Vail. Doc Vail comes across as such a blowhard.

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post

Enjoy

Brilliant 🤣

Journeyman

Enjoy

Very funny!

Excellent video.
    His voice is hardly what I would call POSH (Port Out, Starboard Home) in fact it reminds me of Lewis Hamilton's accent...so transatlantic Stevenage...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukeott View Post
    Brilliant 🤣
    Made me titter especially the gloves then the seal.

Enjoy

Hahaha, PMSL! Spot on.
    F.T.F.A.

Apprentice

Enjoy

I enjoy watching his channel and think he's harmless enough despite the odd pretention - this video absolutely killed me though!

Journeyman
    He's alright....wasn't sure about it at first, but he's OK.........