closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Apprentice watch watch

Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    And do people in the real world really say things like 'Step up to the plate' and discuss 'Skill Sets' ??
    You obviously haven’t worked for a large enterprise in a while. This is regular “business speak” even worse if the firm has a “business development team” ( “how do you feel about that?” “Shall we unpack that?” Etc.)

Yes people do say that!

Sent from TZ-UK app on an iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Didn't realize anyone still watched that program.
    :lol:
    Yes good reply. I stopped watching many series ago but also always noted that he always something tasty on his wrist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DACC View Post
    You obviously haven’t worked for a large enterprise in a while. This is regular “business speak” even worse if the firm has a “business development team” ( “how do you feel about that?” “Shall we unpack that?” Etc.)

Yes people do say that!

Sent from TZ-UK app on an iPhone
    My favourite is when people say "can we take this offline" while sitting in a meeting and deciding that particular meeting isn't the time to discuss that matter. People in our place also have a horrible habit of saying "lets have a catch up" when they really mean a meeting then they try make it less like a meeting by sitting on a bloody sofa. Pure wankyness.

No mistaking this one..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    He wore that the other week. What a loser

Just caught up with this weeks episode. Alan appears to be rocking a common as muck black on black GMTc. Looks amazing though!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Just caught up with this weeks episode. Alan appears to be rocking a common as muck black on black GMTc. Looks amazing though!
    Prefer them to the BLNR.
    More oldskool.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Nail on the head, for me at least. The Mrs still watches it but all too contrived and tedious now.
    I think the point is that any business man or woman with any sense wouldn't go on the show. They want 'characters', people who the audience will love and hate. Contestants go on the show purely for exposure- to market themselves as products. It makes me cringe watching it- the same goes for all other reality tv shows.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I thought the Daytona looked great. As mentioned by someone else you don’t see a lot of them about. Saw one of each in London last week and thought they looked a lot better than expected in the flesh.

Journeyman
    Does anyone not think that it really does not look good on him ? Almost completely out of place .....it's almost too modern, sporty and bright for someone like Sugar.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I have to agree. It looked great on him. The Daytona less so.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I have to agree. It looked great on him. The Daytona less so.
    I spotted it and paused the tv to look.
    I was surprised to see a black GMT but also agree it looks absolutely superb.

Such an under loved watch in the face of the BLNR (which I also love), but it really suited him.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Alstaire Stewart ITV newscaster I think he wears a date just but no sure? Anyone know?

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    He does indeed - saw it numerous times when sat on the same train as him.

Something rectangular today - I can only think of two that might suit that dial, being a Cartier Basculante or a Rolex Prince of some kind?
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 15th November 2017 at 22:52.

Master
    It's not a Basculante but it could be a Cartier Tank Americaine?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolvingjones View Post
    Looks like Tank Americane to me, certainly a Cartier clasp on the strap.

Master
    He must read the forums and decided to mix it up for us

Quote Originally Posted by Revolvingjones View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Looks like Tank Americane to me, certainly a Cartier clasp on the strap.

First time I've heard of that model, and agreed, it certainly fits with the look.

Grand Master
    I've stopped watching the Apprentice, I think the show's run it's course and it's all become too predictable. In the past I found it very entertaining, I always enjoyed watching 'Sir Alan' running rings around the hapless youngsters in the boardroom. Alan Sugar must like watches, in the past he's always had something tasty on the wrist.

Paul

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yeah it ran its course a long time ago however after not watching for a good five years I decided to watch this years.

He appears as usual to be keeping the controversial ones in (guess to make it more entertaining)

Does anyone really care what he wears. For the record i have the Ceramic Daytona and seeing him with one really puts me off it!

Just watched this weeks episode. Flippin ekk I worked with one of the expert panel guys when I was at Vauxhall Motors Marketing Strategies Dept. in 1997. Nice guy and he's clearly gone somewhere in life. Just saying.

Not keen on Alan's watch piece this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbyman View Post
    Does anyone really care what he wears. For the record i have the Ceramic Daytona and seeing him with one really puts me off it!
    The wrist candy was the only thing keeping me watching!

First episode I’ve seen tonight.

Kermit/Hulk?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    He might wear high quality watches but his Amstrad stuff was pure rubbish..

Brendan
    +1, those of us who are old enough will remember Amstrad hi- fi and car players, theyvwere chea and poor.

I like Alan Sugar, but I’ve grown tired of the Apprentice; the show’s been done to death and I don’t bother watching thesedays. The best bit is seeing the candidates squirm in the boardroom as Lord Sugar rips them to pieces.

As for the Daytona, it’s a watch that holds zero appeal to me. The previous model was nicer IMO.

Journeyman
    I didn't even realise that the new series had started! Thank heaven for iPlayer.

Quote Originally Posted by eletos View Post
    First episode I’ve seen tonight.

Kermit/Hulk?

No, Alan Sugar I think.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBLK View Post
    I didn't even realise that the new series had started! Thank heaven for iPlayer.
    don't worry you aren't missing a great lot

Master
    He has had a different S/S rolex on every week of this series so far. I was wondering if he was some sort of brand ambassador. The clip that they played at the end of last nights episode showed him wearing something in yellow gold, maybe a GMT.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Didn't realize anyone still watched that program.
    That's what I keep telling the wife.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I've stopped watching the Apprentice, I think the show's run it's course and it's all become too predictable. In the past I found it very entertaining, I always enjoyed watching 'Sir Alan' running rings around the hapless youngsters in the boardroom. Alan Sugar must like watches, in the past he's always had something tasty on the wrist.

Paul
    Fully agree with this.
    And this years trailers advertising the new series just about sums it up!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    No, Alan Sugar I think.
    hahaha that made me chuckle!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Have to say the only thing that makes me want to take a glimpse of this show is to see what Sugar has on his wrist (no idea why either). This thread saves me the time :)

Guess he aint managed to grab a Pepsi yet? Maybe he wanted to keep the warranty card to retain full flipping value!

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    He has had a different S/S rolex on every week of this series so far. I was wondering if he was some sort of brand ambassador. The clip that they played at the end of last nights episode showed him wearing something in yellow gold, maybe a GMT.
    He certainly does have lot's of Rolex's
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    I love Frankie Boyle's description of Alan Sugar...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 2nd November 2018 at 18:26.

Apprentice
    Brand ambassador all the way.

Journeyman
    Damn I missed his watch this week

He has all the watches I’d expect someone with lots of money who isn’t particularly interested in watches to have!

He probably gets it from his manager lol who probably got it from a grey

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    He has all the watches I’d expect someone with lots of money who isn’t particularly interested in watches to have!
    What makes you think he isn't interested in watches? Is because he is a fan of Rolex or simply because he has different tastes than you? As far as I know he buys all his watches from the same independent Rolex AD that he has been using since his younger days. He has thanked them on twitter before.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    What makes you think he isn't interested in watches? Is because he is a fan of Rolex or simply because he has different tastes than you? As far as I know he buys all his watches from the same independent Rolex AD that he has been using since his younger days. He has thanked them on twitter before.
    He may well be a massive WIS but you do start to notice that certain brands appear on the writs of people who buy these trinkets as a symbol of status and wealth as opposed to an actual interest in watches. It can't be coincidence that everyone on 'Talking Watches' for example has a Daytona. Occasionally you see someone with a brace of the usual suspects and a few really unusual pieces - That's when I think 'ah this guy likes watches, not just expensive watches'.

That being said Alan may indeed have some 'enthusiasts' pieces tucked away, so I make no serious judgment - but if you take someone with no knowledge of watches, give them a few million, tell them to buy a watch, what do you think they'd buy?

It reminds me of car enthusiasts - some are car enthusiasts who religiously maintain and love some right old bangers, whereas some have money to buy a nice car and become a defacto 'enthusiast' because they can afford to enter at a point unattainable to most, and think owning an expensive car because they can afford it makes them a member. Most of the time they've never looked under the bonnet. This is what I think of the new Top gear hosts, for example (except Harris, obviously). Flintoff even bought a Lamborghini that he couldn't fit inside because he didn't even drive it first. I'm guessing he hadn't been after one for long.

I'm aware this could be interpreted as jealousy, but although it's early I'd like to state that in fact I very much enjoy recognising 'proper' enthusiasts by talking to people on forums and at shows etc, and enjoy having my preconceptions challenged and being pleasantly surprised more often than not by the level of passion, but we can't escape the reality is that there are some unimaginative people out there.

All speculative, of course - never met the man and I live in hope that I am proved wrong. Overall I suppose it's just nice to see someone showing an interest!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    He may well be a massive WIS but you do start to notice that certain brands appear on the writs of people who buy these trinkets as a symbol of status and wealth as opposed to an actual interest in watches. It can't be coincidence that everyone on 'Talking Watches' for example has a Daytona. Occasionally you see someone with a brace of the usual suspects and a few really unusual pieces - That's when I think 'ah this guy likes watches, not just expensive watches'.

That being said Alan may indeed have some 'enthusiasts' pieces tucked away, so I make no serious judgment - but if you take someone with no knowledge of watches, give them a few million, tell them to buy a watch, what do you think they'd buy?

It reminds me of car enthusiasts - some are car enthusiasts who religiously maintain and love some right old bangers, whereas some have money to buy a nice car and become a defacto 'enthusiast' because they can afford to enter at a point unattainable to most, and think owning an expensive car because they can afford it makes them a member. Most of the time they've never looked under the bonnet. This is what I think of the new Top gear hosts, for example (except Harris, obviously). Flintoff even bought a Lamborghini that he couldn't fit inside because he didn't even drive it first. I'm guessing he hadn't been after one for long.

I'm aware this could be interpreted as jealousy, but although it's early I'd like to state that in fact I very much enjoy recognising 'proper' enthusiasts by talking to people on forums and at shows etc, and enjoy having my preconceptions challenged and being pleasantly surprised more often than not by the level of passion, but we can't escape the reality is that there are some unimaginative people out there.

All speculative, of course - never met the man and I live in hope that I am proved wrong. Overall I suppose it's just nice to see someone showing an interest!
    So if he wore a Grand Seiko he would be a more likely a WIS / enthusiast?

I guess I get your point but even rappers are wearing super high end grand complication PPs nowadays (not just the sporty stuff) and I bet they know naff all either
    Last edited by kultschar; 5th November 2018 at 11:55.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    So if he wore a Grand Seiko he would be a proper WIS?
    No, I think you've missed my point - but if I see someone wearing something like a GS I am more likely to perceive them as a WIS! Please note I'm talking about myself here - some people also buy a Rolex because people who know nothing about watches still know the name Rolex. SOME people, probably not anyone here, obviously - you have to be at least a bit interested in watches to talk about them like we do!

Many times I have complimented people on their Rolex and they don't know anything about it - however you can't often say the same for someone with a GS, can you?

Please receive my comment as intended, I'm 100% not saying anyone who buys a Rolex isn't a WIS - to take that from what I wrote is either a lazy assumption based on a skim read or I didn't explain myself properly.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    So if he wore a Grand Seiko he would be a more likely a WIS / enthusiast?

I guess I get your point but even rappers are wearing super high end grand complication PPs nowadays (not just the sporty stuff) and I bet they know naff all either
    Just saw the extra point - yes, brands like PP are trying their best to align themselves with these new emerging markets. You can't blame them. In fact I saw an episode of 'Peng Life' where a kid basically compares expensive and cheap things. There was one on watches and all they cared about was how much it was and how many diamonds it had etc. I hardly expected a discussion about balance springs, obviously, but it does reinforce my point.

Master
    What’s he got on tonight I can’t tell

Master
    Thought it was a skydweller

Insert brand new Rolex model name here 😂

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Yep, blue face SS Sky Dweller is my guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Yep, blue face SS Sky Dweller is my guess.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-episodes.html

Blimey... where are the Daily Mail getting their prices from?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSWATCH View Post
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-episodes.html

Blimey... where are the Daily Mail getting their prices from?
    Indeed - even the greys dont have Hulks for 15K!