closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Leather versus metal strap - how do you wear yours?

Master

Leather versus metal strap - how do you wear yours?

My metal strap watches tend to be a tad loose. When over the knuckle of my wrist I can get my little finger just beteeen the strap and underside of my wrist. This provides comfort for when my wrist expands but does not allow the watch to rotate around my wrist.

However on leather I usually like it a little snugger. Or so I thought. With my bb58 on leather I almost need a strap size inbeteeen the ones available on the strap! On one notch its a tad too tight and on the next looser notch it wears as described above BUT will (if pushed) rotate around my wrist.

It’s times like this I really value the Pelagos deployment clasp design! I am literally talking a matter of 2mm but man does it make a difference not having such tiny adjustability on a strap. I have had to settle for slightly loose.

Stu

Journeyman
    I use the tight notch on my straps so over time they stretch and fit my wrist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zcahhi6 View Post
    I use the tight notch on my straps so over time they stretch and fit my wrist.
    That must take a while and be pretty uncomfortable in the process? I have been wearing bb58 for a week now and the strap has formed around my wrist but I can’t see it giving another mm or two.

I hate loose straps on a watch, so I'll take the same approach to Leather, going for the tighter option and letting it stretch. The difference is rarely such that it's truly uncomfortable, in my experience.

Most of my watches on leather are on aftermarket straps (Leather straps are a consumable in my view), so in the worst case scenario I'll punch an extra hole, but I can't think of the last time I had to resort to that.

I guess if you have a £N00 OEM strap on a watch you might want to sell you'll be less keen on that option.

M

Master
    I often meet people wearing watches with the bracelet so loose that its only a bangle.

On closer inspection its inevitably a fake.

When I comment on their bracelet need a couple of links out the most common excuses I hear are :

"I like it like that , I really hate tight watches"

"Its a gift from my Dad and I haven't had time to fix it yet"

"I've only just got it and they told me to take it back once I've broken it in"

No admission its a fake though. Apart from a couple who boasted "I only buy "first" copies".

Watches on bracelets I try to have ever so slightly loose so my hand doesn't fall off but not so loose the watch can rotate or move too far up or down my wrist. Watches on leather tend to be tight to my wrist but not so tight they try to pull out the spring bars.
    "A man of little significance"

I used to prefer wearing a bracelet loose, until it was pointed out what damage could be caused. So now both straps and bracelets are worn snug.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    I used to prefer wearing a bracelet loose, until it was pointed out what damage could be caused. So now both straps and bracelets are worn snug.
    Ive been wearing nice watches since my 21st and now at 62 I learn this fact , literally over the last few weeks. Just shows old dog new tricks etc👍

Journeyman
    I really dislike bracelets on watches. My wrists vary about quarter of an inch depending on the weather and humidity. A strap is much easier and quicker to adjust.

Master

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Robert189598 View Post
    I really dislike bracelets on watches. My wrists vary about quarter of an inch depending on the weather and humidity. A strap is much easier and quicker to adjust.
    This is why I love my Pelagos with the flexible spring design of the clasp.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Surely only if it’s VERY loose. Being able to fit my little finger under the underside of my wrist and the bracelet is not that loose. It can’t rotate around my wrist.

Depends on the watch, but overall I prefer a bracelet - there are some watches that just suit leather better though, like my GO and most dressier watches.
    It's just a matter of time...

One of the reasons I prefer watches with a 'no tools' easily adjustable clasp - Unimatic Diver, Rolex Glidelock, CW Trident etc. Very easy to find the perfect fit as your wrist changes size, and I hate watches being too loose or too tight - a snug fit but with enough room to slide a pinky finger underneath is about right.

Some watches do just look better on leather, though, like the Speedmaster (though that one may well change if I ever get around to buying & fitting the adjustable clasp & accompanying bracelet end-links).

Banned
    My (and everyone else's) Citizen Excalibur bracelet has a micro adjustable diver's extension. Been wearing it 4 months straight and it is very handy I agree.
    Prefer a nato rather than leather but very happy with this bracelet. Only started thinking about a wee change to a nato recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    This is why I love my Pelagos with the flexible spring design of the clasp.
    I really want to give this clasp a try. Looks brilliant.

Master
    Ive never found any strap fits correctly, be it metal, leather, nato.

I often put a hole in the leather straps to get the perfect fit but this then reduces the life of the strap.

I think ive just got a funny sized wrist and unless I get a sub or a PO then ive got to suffer along.

I’m a bracelet fan and though I keep buying leather and NATO straps, they always end up back on the bracelet.
    I wear my bracelets only loose enough to fit my index finger between wrist and bracelet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    i'm left handed and wear my watches on the left wrist so i tend to take bracelets off as i'm very hard on them. i'll never know how people keep bracelet clasp looking so pristine!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Ive never found any strap fits correctly, be it metal, leather, nato.

I often put a hole in the leather straps to get the perfect fit but this then reduces the life of the strap.

I think ive just got a funny sized wrist and unless I get a sub or a PO then ive got to suffer along.
    Why only a Sub or a PO?

Apprentice
    Metal on chronograph and diver. Leather on vintage.

Leather = strap.
    Metal = bracelet.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.