closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Travelling with Watches

Master
    Just to enhance my boring reputation, it is well worth checking your insurance policy on theft whilst outside of the house.

Most policies will cover you for the theft of the bag and its contents after the said ruffian has kicked you in the goolies and run off with your stuff.

However a high value "named watch" on the policy may not be covered unless you were actually wearing it on your wrist.

I do not wish to see you suffer financially.

Craftsman
    I believe someone else in the thread has also mentioned them, but I have a few Casebudi cases, which work well. I use one of them several times a week as I run to work wearing my running watch and another watch in my bag. They've been great.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    When travelling I just slap one watch on my wrist and leave it there. Dispenses of all the clutter of containers!

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    So you only take one watch on holiday?
    For me with kids I always rake minimum 2 a diver for pool/beach/sea and a more dressier option for evenings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with using Billinghams for watch transportation.

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman
    I like the watch pouch from Worn and Wound - nice and secure and good padding if its gets knocked about.

Two pieces in there and 1 on the wrist gets me through any 1-2 week trip!

I have one of these
    http://www.misterchrono.com/en/trave...e-souple-.html
    I got it in the sale when it was about £30. Only really take one watch but put my straps and bar tool in here and the watch at night or when swimming or whatever. Nice bit of kit.

Master
    I made my own watch roll from a sheet of leather bought on Ebay. And for storing watches at home use Casebudi.

Sent from my SM-J530F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    This for me (small one is casebudi). Last time I travelled my GMT2c was thrown into a plastic bag together with my ring and wallet. Never again will I put a high value watch into the valuables box at security.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    So you only take one watch on holiday?
    For me with kids I always rake minimum 2 a diver for pool/beach/sea and a more dressier option for evenings!

My hols are all far too 'budget' to ever warrant taking a dressier option so I never take more than a beater + a digital but I can see the case for adding a nice watch.

The 'sickness' must run deep to want to take more than that though ;) Some members might even find the experience of wearing the same watch for 2 weeks, a fortnight-long horological enema if you will, a journey to enlightenment!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I can't think of a new watch that I've bought that arrived in a suitable compact case for travelling.

Service cases and Casebudi holders are useful for small numbers. Here's my solution for eight watches.

WOW nice stuff , can't imaging you take 8 watches with you for holidays , think you are in your retirement

Craftsman
    I use a casebudi as well. Cheap and cheerful

Craftsman
    Two watches for travel - one worn on hand, other in casebudi

I never take more than one watch away with me. I choose what will suit the majority of situations and it never leaves my wrist.

Craftsman
    I use a casebudi too. It's also comes in handy for earphones.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchdude View Post
    This for me (small one is casebudi). Last time I travelled my GMT2c was thrown into a plastic bag together with my ring and wallet. Never again will I put a high value watch into the valuables box at security.
    I snipped the pic to save bandwidth - but what's the case on the right?

This monster just landed, I reckon I can get the entire collection into it. My goolies are in so much trouble

Master
    Blog Entries
    Only time I travel with more then one watch is if I am selling one or picking up a new one whilst on holiday

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Only time I travel with more then one watch is if I am selling one or picking up a new one whilst on holiday
    Interesting. Never managed just ONE watch on holiday. Your collection is amazing. And very similar taste to me! So what is the normal holiday watch for you?

Master
    This monster just landed, I reckon I can get the entire collection into it. My goolies are in so much trouble

If you do get kicked in the goolies, please let us know as it will be useful in any future risk assessment.

Naturally we all hope (myself included) that your goolies remain unkicked.

You may be pleased to know I got the same bag as you, but possibly a bit bigger, and I never use the ruddy thing, it makes my shoulder ache.

Also best to ruff it up a bit, brand new Billinghams do scream out a bit and can attract the wrong attention. Mine is well over 20 years old, you can swap it for mine if you want.
    Last edited by Mick P; 21st April 2019 at 13:27.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Interesting. Never managed just ONE watch on holiday. Your collection is amazing. And very similar taste to me! So what is the normal holiday watch for you?

Well each time I pop over I usually take the opportunity to sell / buy something so it’s never straight forward :) Last holiday was to the US where I picked up the Daytona the very first day I got there etc so this was my watch for the holiday in NYC and Miami.

I’m off to US and Europe this time so if I’m being a good boy (no buying) I will bring the Pepsi.

If I can find a UK Hulk or JC DSSD in advance to pickup I will jump on the plane with just my iPhone, but it’s still a while until August so will prob change my mind a thousand times lol

Was hoping to upgrade my 5167 to 5164 but that plan has gone out the window unless I went grey
    Last edited by kultschar; 21st April 2019 at 13:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    If you do get kicked in the goolies, please let us know as it will be useful in any future risk assessment.

Naturally we all hope (myself included) that your goolies remain unkicked.

You may be pleased to know I got the same bag as you, but possibly a bit bigger, and I never use the ruddy thing, it makes my shoulder ache.

Also best to ruff it up a bit, brand new Billinghams do scream out a bit and can attract the wrong attention. Mine is well over 20 years old, you can swap it for mine if you want.
    It's not brand new, it came via a very decent forum member, but I'm sure I'll soon add some patina of my own. I've really bought it as an overnight bag to accompany the others, the quality and versatility are superb.

The point is that it is all about taking commensurate precautions according to the risk. As I mentioned earlier, there are parts of Bogotá where I would avoid carrying a Billingham but they generally go unnoticed as they are not exactly blingy. A Rolex on the wrist or smartphone in the hand is very likely to garner attention, however. The necessary precautions depend on many factors, much like you have to live in a cage with 9 foot walls and 8 inch spikes on top whilst I don't, even in Colombia.

Master
    It's not brand new, it came via a very decent forum member, but I'm sure I'll soon add some patina of my own. I've really bought it as an overnight bag to accompany the others, the quality and versatility are superb.

The point is that it is all about taking commensurate precautions according to the risk. As I mentioned earlier, there are parts of Bogotá where I would avoid carrying a Billingham but they generally go unnoticed as they are not exactly blingy. A Rolex on the wrist or smartphone in the hand is very likely to garner attention, however. The necessary precautions depend on many factors, much like you have to live in a cage with 9 foot walls and 8 inch spikes on top whilst I don't, even in Colombia.
    My wife had her handbag ripped off her (in a non violent way) and it took all of 2 seconds. The guy was half way up the road before she had even cottoned on. A 60 year old English woman who speaks ropey Spanish is the best target going and that's why they account for the majority of victims. And yet there is less crime in Spain than in the UK.

As regard to the high walls and spiked gates etc, this is because villas on the coast are usually owned as a second holiday home, mainly by wealthy Spaniards from Barcelona or Madrid. The houses are only occupied for six weeks (July / August) and remain empty for about 46 weeks of the year. This makes them a very easy target so they are built with this in mind.

Villas owned by the ex pats , be they British, German or Belgians are occupied much more and fortunately hardly ever get touched.

One advantage of spending a fair amount of time out there is that we do talk to the local police and they have repeatedly told me that most watches that are ripped off the wrist are gold, be they men or womens.

Also best to avoid carrying stuff in LV bags and Billigham were also on the "best not to use them" list. However, to be fair, bags are not usually snatched off a person, they are snatched when they are left on the floor or in a coffee shop chair. So if you are holding the bag, you are fairly safe.

I wear a Rolex 365 days a year in every country that I visit, which this year has been India and Spain and I have never even noticed anyone looking at my plain SS model. I would not even dream of wearing a gold Rolex in a million years out on the streets as it screams out Rolex.

At the end of the day we all take our chances.
    Last edited by Mick P; 21st April 2019 at 17:58.

I have one these, I works very well. Although I don't have a watch roll, this does seem more secure.

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    I never take more than one watch away with me. I choose what will suit the majority of situations and it never leaves my wrist.
    Same, seems a crazy risk to me and there's no way I would put my trust in a hotel safe. I'm content with one watch for 2 weeks on hols, each to their own though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Same, seems a crazy risk to me and there's no way I would put my trust in a hotel safe. I'm content with one watch for 2 weeks on hols, each to their own though.
    I’ve read that hotel safes are very easy for staff to open, usually in case people forget their code. You’re not putting your trust in the safe, you’re putting your trust in the staff.