closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travelling with Watches

Craftsman

Travelling with Watches

I had not bought a new watch for twenty years until recently.

In previous packaging, no account seems to have been taken of travelling with watches.

However, my last two (both GOs) have come with small travel cases inside the main box. Is this sensible and convenient idea now standard for all mid-to-high end manufacturers?

You can buy travel cases very cheaply off the likes of eBay - they may not be branded (they can be though) but I imagine they focus on giving you a swanky home-only box for the full presentation whack.

Your GOs are stunning - love the counterweight on the seconds hand of the left piece

I have 3 Breitlings and their travel cases (inside the 2 layers of boxes) are ideal for travelling with watches.

Simon

Nice job GO.

Another option..

Quote Originally Posted by quietly View Post
    Nice job GO.

Another option..
    [snip]
    I really like the idea of rolls, but I tend to gravitate towards bracelets rather than material bands/straps - are you aware of any rolls with inserts within the pouches to reduce the bracelet rubbing on itself? I realise that part of the watch is rarely seen, I just cannot stand unnecessary wear and tear when there are means of preventing it i.e. by having an insert in between the bracelet itself.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post

Your GOs are stunning - love the counterweight on the seconds hand of the left piece
    Thank you kind sir -- I obviously think so too as I bought them.

With regard to your bracelet question, I'm not sure I understand. I use these same two little cases when necessary for my Rolex and Cartier (both on bracelets) without trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    With regard to your bracelet question, I'm not sure I understand. I use these same two little cases when necessary for my Rolex and Cartier (both on bracelets) without trouble.
    Ah, my bad - that was in response to the watch roll posted rather than your cases. I've cases similar to yours for travel, but have always fancied a roll.

I can't think of a new watch that I've bought that arrived in a suitable compact case for travelling.

Service cases and Casebudi holders are useful for small numbers. Here's my solution for eight watches.

Last edited by Mr Curta; 24th September 2017 at 19:47.

Craftsman
    I don't believe a travel case within the main box to be too common. Far more common these days however is an elaborate highly specified box which perhaps has been designed so you can use it also as a suitcase. Same idea reversed perhaps.

Ah, my bad - that was in response to the watch roll posted rather than your cases. I've cases similar to yours for travel, but have always fancied a roll.
    Just cut s bit of leather (e.g. from an old belt) to go between the caseback and bracelet.

Master
    Mr Curta, that's the most impressive watch travel arrangement I have ever seen, the Billingham looks like it was custom made for the watchcase. Excellente.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Mr Curta, that's the most impressive watch travel arrangement I have ever seen, the Billingham looks like it was custom made for the watchcase. Excellente.
    Until a thief looking for a £200 dslr hits the motherlode 😱

I really like the idea of rolls, but I tend to gravitate towards bracelets rather than material bands/straps - are you aware of any rolls with inserts within the pouches to reduce the bracelet rubbing on itself? I realise that part of the watch is rarely seen, I just cannot stand unnecessary wear and tear when there are means of preventing it i.e. by having an insert in between the bracelet itself.
    Cutting a thin length of foam will do the trick. I have a single watch case that came with just that inside it.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Until a thief looking for a £200 dslr hits the motherlode 😱
    Might be a tad disappointed with eight Vostoks!
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Either Rolex or Pani service case do nicely pour moi, never had a need to take more than two watches with me anywhere..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Cutting a thin length of foam will do the trick. I have a single watch case that came with just that inside it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Just cut s bit of leather (e.g. from an old belt) to go between the caseback and bracelet.
    I suppose the simple ways are the most efficient! Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Might be a tad disappointed with eight Vostoks!
    Ha! That made me laugh :)

Master
    Breitling and Blancpain both have nice branded cases in the main box, but not Rolex, Omega, Longines, JLC or Patek

Here's my solution for eight watches.

Just £15.00 from Amazon - that's really good value...

Simon

I guess it's probably a bit safer than my strategy of balling up my socks, putting the watch on them and putting this inside yet another sock. But hey, I don't want to have to take a bigger suitcase, with yet more weight on a flight, so any weight and space-saving I can find will do.

And then I just wear whatever the most valuable watch I am taking, just for added safety.

Why not have a go at making something yourself?

I had a couple of hours spare today and for a while have wanted a case to carry around a spare watch for when I am working abroad. I had some ostrich leather that I picked up on eBay, so I lined it with some kid leather, stitched up both ends and added a couple of liners made of 3mm thick leather with cutouts for straps and bracelets.

If a fumble-fingers like me can do it, anyone can!

Now that is the kind of insert I'm talking about for the rolls! Lovely job with the ostrich.

Now that is the kind of insert I'm talking about for the rolls! Lovely job with the ostrich.
    Thank you.

It really was desperately easy and I surprised myself with how quickly it could be done.

I used a pdf template for a wallet that was the right size, so I printed that out on A4 and used the A4 sheet to cut out the ostrich and the kid leather. I then glued those together and, when dry, cut out the wallet template itself. I then sewed up the two ends, punched out a hole and put in an eyelet for the leather thong.

The inserts were cut to size and then the holes cut using a set of shape punch cutters that I had previously bought for 15 quid on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have some other exotic leathers - snake, alligator, etc - so I might try and knock up a couple of others in the coming days.

I think that it would be nice for companies to do that, do they have to? Of course not.

But when you do have a lot of your customers who travel a lot it is a little extra "thank you" when you include something they might use frequently.

I have a Boker Knife Vault that works very well. It's not so suited to bracelets, but it's perfect for me.

https://www.heinnie.com/boker-knife-vault-6

Journeyman
    I can't think of a new watch that I've bought that arrived in a suitable compact case for travelling.

Service cases and Casebudi holders are useful for small numbers. Here's my solution for eight watches.

Nice bag

I use an Omega service case when only taking one spare watch - they're really very good. Unfortunately I don't have one with me to photograph, but if anyone knows of a source for unbranded ones that would be great as they are very useful and should be cheap.

When sending off watches for service, I use an old Seiko 5 box as it's quite solid and I wouldn't be enormously miffed it it was damaged to protect the watch.

That does for me as I don't like to take more than a couple with me.

The only problem with those kind of cases is that you can't mix strap watches with bracelet watches however I can see, that with Bostoks, the manufacturer has taken care of that dilemma for you.

The problem with a Billingham is also that a really astute thief might nick it even if he thought it only contained your sandwiches. In the same way that I wouldn't have Louis Vuitton monogram luggage in case somebody nicked it for it's innate monetary value. On balance it's not the only reason I don't have any LV luggage...
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ArghZombies View Post
    I guess it's probably a bit safer than my strategy of balling up my socks, putting the watch on them and putting this inside yet another sock. But hey, I don't want to have to take a bigger suitcase, with yet more weight on a flight, so any weight and space-saving I can find will do.

And then I just wear whatever the most valuable watch I am taking, just for added safety.
    I'm pleased to see there's another tightwad like me on here!

I was going to type out my 'sock-within-a-sock' method, but you've saved me the bother.

I always take watches in hand luggage when travelling and usually just use an old rigid glasses with a few polishing cloths wrapped around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    The problem with a Billingham is also that a really astute thief might nick it even if he thought it only contained your sandwiches. In the same way that I wouldn't have Louis Vuitton monogram luggage in case somebody nicked it for it's innate monetary value. On balance it's not the only reason I don't have any LV luggage...
    This is true, and although astute thieves are thin on the ground here it is not something that I would wander around certain parts of town with. It's more handy for travelling between home and the UK, where I am transferred to and from the airports at either end.

There are also plenty of people in these parts who do have LV luggage, a Billingham flies under the radar somewhat.

The only problem with those kind of cases is that you can't mix strap watches with bracelet watches however I can see, that with Bostoks, the manufacturer has taken care of that dilemma for you.
    I rather doubt if any of those straps are from the manuafacturer. Vostok straps are notoriously terrible...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I rather doubt if any of those straps are from the manuafacturer. Vostok straps are notoriously terrible...

Simon
    That was my point - the first thing that most people do with Bostoks is to take the bracelet off as they're so awful.

Quote Originally Posted by quietly View Post
    Nice job GO.

Another option..

Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down everyone. Is that... two IWC Ocean 2000s?

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down everyone. Is that... two IWC Ocean 2000s?
    Kind of.

These two were only rated to 300m ;)

Lovely watches, very envious.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I do not need another Billingham. I do not need another Billingham. I do not need another Billingham. I do not need another Billingham.
    I do not need another Billingham. I do not need another Billingham. I do not need another Billingham. I do not need another Billingham.

Are you really, really, sure.......I have two sitting in the loft?

@ Carlton-Browne... you know what you need? Another Billingham

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice

Travelling with Watches

Here’s a watch wolf roll, bought it on eBay for $50 shipped.

*yes, those are my watches
    2500 Planet Ocean
    Mitsukoshi Mod Speedy
    2500 AT

Also Combat Straps on instagram makes these types of rolls. 3 watch rolls and 1 watch rolls.

I always find that service cases travel best.
    They are obviously designed to transport the watch safely, but without the external boxes.
    Usually a reasonable size too.

I often use these boxes.
    Cheap, practical, non-destructible in normal traveling.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plastic-Wate...-/332112717380

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    @ Carlton-Browne... you know what you need? Another Billingham

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Are you really, really, sure.......I have two sitting in the loft?
    Oh, feck it!

I usually use one of the two watch travel cases that came with my Timefactor watches and wear one to travel with , three are usually enough when going away.

Socks.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master

I would think twice about carrying 8 watches in a Billingham bag because they are a well known magnet for thieves. People who buy small Billinghams don't use them to carry their sandwiches and thieves know that.

Master
    I use a Peli case from the Case Farm - foam inner with pre cut slots for 4 watches plus a space for tools & straps in the front. Not elegant but tough. Otherwise I use an Omega service case.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I would think twice about carrying 8 watches in a Billingham bag because they are a well known magnet for thieves. People who buy small Billinghams don't use them to carry their sandwiches and thieves know that.
    I refer you to my earlier response when this observation was made.

RTFT
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    I refer you to my earlier response when this observation was made.

RTFT
    I was trying to be nice and reinforcing the point. My sincere apologies for the repetition.

I just hope some ruffian never walks up to you, gives you an almighty kick in the goolies and walks off with your watches, shouting "thanks for letting me know you got good stuff mate".

I have a friend in the police who told me that when a house is burgled, the thieves are usually in and out of the house in a matter of minutes. They are searching for cash and jewellery and if they see a Billingham bag, it is always ripped open, such is its reputation as being a container of valuable stuff.

Once again my apologies for trying to be helpful, even if on this occasion, I wasn't.