closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Apple Watch for the gym

Journeyman

Apple Watch for the gym

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at picking up an apple watch for use in the gym.

Am I correct in thinking that I could get a series 2 or 3, download some offline tracks via Spotify of apple music and then play them through my BT headset without taking my phone in the gym with me? I hate taking my phone with me to the gym and I like the thought of having the use of the fitness apps, HR etc.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can sync a playlist from iTunes to any Apple Watch via your iPhone and play via Bluetooth headphones.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    You can sync a playlist from iTunes to any Apple Watch via your iPhone and play via Bluetooth headphones.
    Not sure about any Apple Watch but certainly series 2 onwards you can do the above. I have a series 2 Apple Watch Nike+ and I have sync'd a playlist (only allows one playlist at a time) just to try out playing it from watch to BT earphones and it works. I normally have my BT earphones connected to my phone as I always have it me anyway, both at the gym and when running outdoors. But the watch does work standalone.

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Not sure about any Apple Watch but certainly series 2 onwards you can do the above.
    You can do it on any Apple Watch. I used to do it on my original (so-called “Series 0”) one.

Journeyman
    Can you use Spotify to do it, as I pay for the premium version. Or only apple music?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    You can do it on any Apple Watch. I used to do it on my original (so-called “Series 0”) one.
    Good to know.

Journeyman
    What's wrong with a mobile phone in the gym?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by pandaballs View Post
    What's wrong with a mobile phone in the gym?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hate taking it with me and having it in my pocket or on the floor. Gym is to lift, not to be on my phone. I spend 5-6 hours a day using one, we have a love hate relationship

Quote Originally Posted by mrbez View Post
    Can you use Spotify to do it, as I pay for the premium version. Or only apple music?

Currently only Apple Music, I'm using a free 6mths trial with EE, but I'm hoping that there will be some Spotify integration soon as I also pay for premium. I'm not sure if you're able to download music from ITunes or whether its just AM (I don't use iTunes). There is talk that Spotify have bought an app from a developer but there doesn't seem to be any talk of when it may be released, at least I haven't found anything. I'm hoping its soon and before my trial runs out!

Master
    As said, no Spotify right now. Once this becomes possible, it’ll be amazing tbh. There’s an app in development called “Snowy” which aims to do what Spotify can’t currently, but I don’t know which will come along first. Sooner rather than later for this I hope though.

In answer to the question, yes.
    You can download music onto the watch (up to 2gb on series 2 & 3 or 8gb on series 3 cellular)
    You can then play it via BT earphones without even having your phone on or anywhere near you.
    In other words it can act as a stand alone music player should you choose.
    Regarding the Apple Music or Spotify streaming, well I don't have it but I think you can stream and save onto the watch in advance much like saving off itunes to the watch.
    Either way you don't need the phone with you to play and listen to music.