TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Radio Comedies

Journeyman

Radio 4 X (DAB)

brilliant for old comedy

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistmike View Post
    I'm a fan of old radio shows and there are enough here to keep you going for life.... ... http://www.radioechoes.com/bandaid/?page=genre 90 episodes of Hancock's half hour for a start.... !
    Quite a lot on bbc radio 4x dab radio or tablet only. Men from the ministry, steptoe hancock dads army. etc.

Hankcock, Partridge and League Of Gentlemen

You might enjoy Hamish and Dougal: You'll Have Had Your Tea, by the brilliant comic minds of Barry Cryer and Graeme Garden. Series 3 is now on iPlayer.
    Spotlight Tonight by Nish Kumar is also pretty good topical satire. A bit hit and miss but with some very funny moments.

This just came in:

ISIHAC NEWSLETTER

Dear I’m Sorry I Haven’t A Clue Mailing List Member,

Here are the details of the second and third recordings of the Autumn 2017 series of "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue".

The recordings will take place as follows:

2) Tuesday 14th November at the Margate Winter Gardens. This will be a double recording of the show (i.e 2 programmes will be recorded) for broadcast on BBC Radio 4.

Tickets are all priced at £5 (plus £1.50 online booking fee/£0.50 phone or in person) and are currently obtainable via the box office (located at the Margate Winter Gardens), by telephone (01843 292795/296111) or online via the venue's website.

For those wishing to purchase tickets in person, the address is The Winter Gardens, Fort Crescent, Margate, Kent, CT9 1HX. The Box Office opening times are Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm and 10am – 5pm on Saturdays (extended times on show nights.)

3) Monday 27th November at Hull New Theatre. This will be a double recording of the show (i.e 2 programmes will be recorded) for broadcast on BBC Radio 4.

Tickets are all priced at £5 and are obtainable from 9am on Monday 30th October via the box office (located at the New Theatre), by telephone (01482 300306) or online via the venue's website.

For those wishing to purchase tickets in person, the address is Hull New Theatre, 75-76 Carr Lane, Hull, HU1 3RQ. The Box Office opening times are by phone: Monday – Saturday 8am – 7pm, Sundays and Bank Holidays 10am – 4pm. In Person: Monday – Saturday 10am – 5pm, Sunday 11am – 3pm (9am for on sale date of 30 October)

The recordings start at 7.30pm and will be finished around 10.30pm. Tickets will be limited to a strict maximum of 4 per applicant - by whatever booking system. Demand for tickets is very great, so you are advised to purchase early to avoid disappointment, and you should allow for queue waiting times for the Box Office, either by phone or in person, to be longer than usual. Please do not try to obtain tickets before they go on sale.

The 68th series will begin transmission on Radio 4 from Monday 13th November at 6.30pm.

With best wishes,
    Jon Naismith
    Producer, "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue"

Can't wait to hear Jack Dee's opening monologues about Margate and Hull...
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 26th October 2017 at 19:41.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Old Harry's Game.....another classic with Andy Hamilton.

Revolting People was another one.
    +1 very definitely

Bleak Expectations
    The Castle

La Tremanda Corte with Tres Patines.

Limited appeal to most as it's in Spanish but this has me in stitches. Stands up very well for a radio show that was produced over 70 years ago.
    Plenty to go at with over 300 episodes produced over a 19 year run.

Journeyman
    The News Quiz or Dead Ringers - both from R4. They rotate on the Friday Night Comedy podcast, and are always a good listen.

The latest from Andy Hamilton

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b098jtq1

Episode one was quite good.

Master
    "Millport" - an out of left field choice perhaps, but then I'm from Paisley so only allowed spoons.

Quote Originally Posted by den77 View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b098jtq1

Episode one was quite good.
    Thanks, I'll give that a go later.

Craftsman
    If you are in to your podcasts, I can recommend subscribing to Simon Mayo's confessions - some really funny stories on there, and a decent "back catalogue" of previous episodes to download and keep you dipping in to.

Apologies if someone else has already suggested this.

John Bird - The Idi Amin Broadcasts, probably not politically correct these days but bloody funny in the 70's!

I was just looking through the schedules for R4extra, and found a series I hadn't heard of before, "The Sit Crom" . It's a 6 parter by Sue Limb, the first 4 episodes are still available for download as I type, with 2 to follow on the 2 coming Wednesdays. It's set during the Civil War, and the cast includes Joss Ackland, Miriam Margoyles and Denise Coffey, so it looks to be worth a listen.
    F.T.F.A.

I've just listened to Just a Minute: 50 Years in 28 Minutes which was plugged by Paul Merton on HIGNFY. It's very cleverly done featuring most of the regulars over the years, with almost seamless editing, and brings back many memories. It's only tainted slightly by the notable absence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09jrxpt

I do miss the mellifluous tones of Peter Jones on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I've just listened to Just a Minute: 50 Years in 28 Minutes which was plugged by Paul Merton on HIGNFY. It's very cleverly done featuring most of the regulars over the years, with almost seamless editing, and brings back many memories. It's only tainted slightly by the notable absence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09jrxpt

I do miss the mellifluous tones of Peter Jones on the radio.
    Wonderful film comedy actor as well.

Who can forget him and Dennis Price as the "Winsome Welshmen" in School for Scoundrels.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Craftsman
    'Alexei Sayle's Imaginary Sandwich Bar' is expiring fast on iPlayer, well worth a listen.

There's also the radio version of Sean Lock's '15 Storeys High' which whilst can be a bit hit and miss, is in parts hilarious...

Craftsman
    My favourite Radio 4 Comedy was: People Like Us, not sure if these will ever be available again after Chris Langham became persona non grata.

You can get some on youtube, the estate agent is good. However, my favourite: The Pilot seems to not be available.

Master
    I remember listening to ‘Know Your Place’ as a kid starring Roy Dotrice. Think it must have been reruns!

The Huddliners was a usual Saturday lunchtime listen.

Another one for Old Harry’s Game.

Like Ralphy said, this thread has inspired me to go back and listen to some comedy. R4 classics for me!

I've been listening to "Mark Steele's In Town" this afternoon.

Quite brilliant.

I'm also enjoying the current series of "I'm Sorry, I Haven't A Clue"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I've been listening to "Mark Steele's In Town" this afternoon.

Quite brilliant.

I'm also enjoying the current series of "I'm Sorry, I Haven't A Clue"
    Yep, I agree, Mark Steele's In Town is really good... very well observed and must be great to be an audience member.

Jeremy Hardy Feels...Hopeful, plus 3 earlier episodes.

John Lloyd on the Douglas Adams archive: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09tbl2s

The The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Hexagonal Phase has just started on R4: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09th4hf
    It is based on And 'Another Thing...' by Eoin Colfer, with additional unpublished material by Douglas Adams, and features many of the original cast.

John Lloyd on the Douglas Adams archive: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09tbl2s

The The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Hexagonal Phase has just started on R4: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09th4hf
    It is based on And 'Another Thing...' by Eoin Colfer, with additional unpublished material by Douglas Adams, and features many of the original cast.
    I set my recording device only this evening, towel and salted peanuts at the ready.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie_101 View Post
    I'd recommend another BBC R4 classic, Count Arthur Strong's Radio Show. Available to stream or download here https://archive.org/details/CountArthurStrong
    Count Arthur Strong's Radio Show is by far and away the funniest thing I have ever heard and was so much better than the telly show.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyguitar View Post
    Count Arthur Strong's Radio Show is by far and away the funniest thing I have ever heard and was so much better than the telly show.
    At its best, excellent.

If you like CAS, have you tried Milton Jones? "The Very World of Milton Jones" and "Another Case of Milton Jones" are very funny.

Master
    Big fan of cabin pressure. You can get the series on Audible

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    The Goon Show and Hancock.
    Without doubt the best ever used top piss myself at Milligan.

Angstrom, a spoof of Scandi-Noir crime thrillers is very funny. Unfortunately it is just disappearing off iPlayer but I expect will be repeated soon:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09m7kvr

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    'Alexei Sayle's Imaginary Sandwich Bar' is expiring fast on iPlayer, well worth a listen.

There's also the radio version of Sean Lock's '15 Storeys High' which whilst can be a bit hit and miss, is in parts hilarious...
    Only just spotted this thread, can't agree more on both. Have the Sean Lock series on DVD (somewhere) and it's very like the radio version in quality.

A quick update. Since relocating to the UK I've got myself onto the BBC Shows and Tours mailing list with one of the filters being Radio Comedy. Free tickets are allocated by random draw and so far I've headed to the BBC Radio Theatre at Broadcasting House for recordings of John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme, The Museum of Curiosity (twice) and Just a Minute. Highlights have been meeting John Lloyd after a rather epic recording of TMoC which included legendary music producer Glyn Johns and a woman who wrote some kids books about a school for wizards, seeing Paul Merton complete a straight minute unbuzzed and witnessing a nonagenarian national treasure eruditely and entertainingly controlling a bunch of unruly comedians.

...I've got myself onto the BBC Shows and Tours mailing list with one of the filters being Radio Comedy. Free tickets are allocated by random draw and so far I've headed to ...
    Same here but being in the North West we've had much less success. Ages ago we went to see a radio comedy recording at the Comedy Store in Manchester but it was so long ago that I can't even remember what it was. I remember it was a good night though. Since rejoining the mailing list we've been to a recording of a couple of episodes of 'Brain Of Britain' and if we didn't work during the day would have had lots of opportunities for orchestral/choral R3 recordings.

There's a boat load of John Shuttleworth series on Radio4 Extra on iPlayer at the moment.
    F.T.F.A.

This week's 'Brits in Space' episode of The Infinite Monkey Cage featuring Helen Sharman and Tim Peake is rather entertaining, notwithstanding the presence of Brian Cox.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0009b04

There's some good stuff on Archive.org . I've listened to a few series that the BBC don't have available at the moment.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I had completely forgotten revolting people with Andy hamilton.

heard an episode a week or so ago on 4Extra.

Ezekiel is a brilliant characteras the pompous, verbose loyalist.

B

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    There's some good stuff on Archive.org . I've listened to a few series that the BBC don't have available at the moment.
    Whooooo, that's a right rabbit hole of a resource. I lost half the weekend just browsing the back issues of various publications. Thanks!

Nebulous by Graham Duff with Mark Gatiss. A Dr Who / Science fiction spoof and very very funny. You really have to concentrate as the jokes and puns come thick and fast.

https://archive.org/details/nebulous5

Also Count Arthur strong which was previously mentioned both of these are top draw stuff and really show off Radio Comedy at its best. I couldn't imagine Nebulous on the TV.

Whooooo, that's a right rabbit hole of a resource. I lost half the weekend just browsing the back issues of various publications. Thanks!

Round The Horne, classic, never missed an episode when I was young. Recorded them all on a Peto Scott reel to reel tape recorder - sadly both machine and tapes are long gone so much appreciate the link to RadioEchoes so I can relive my youth, much appreciated.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    The Bugle is surviving without John Oliver.
    The latest episode features the return of... well, it's here or your usual podcast outlet https://thebuglepodcast.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Richie_101 View Post
    I'd recommend another BBC R4 classic, Count Arthur Strong's Radio Show. Available to stream or download here https://archive.org/details/CountArthurStrong

Absolute Power with Stephen Fry is another that springs to mind, all 4 series' available from the same site: https://archive.org/details/AbsolutePowerSeries1

Rich.

*Edit: I see from a quick search that the full collections of Bleak Expectations, Cabin Pressure and Yes, Minister are all available from the same site too.
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I'm so glad it's not just me - superb on the radio, garbage on the TV.

Another one but much closer - League of Gentlemen - I watched and enjoyed all the stuff on TV (most of it more than once), went to see them live but best of the lot are the original radio shows. If ever you find yourself on a flight to Scandinavia or the US and there's a big oaf next to you with headphones on chortling away to himself it may well be me.
    Whenever CAS starts I switch over to R3 ... CAS is the most annoyingly silly and utterly useless 'comedy' programme.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Blog Entries
    The Jeremy Vine show.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Count Arthur Strong is my favourite but I can see why some people won't like it. The TV programme was not good, but not godawful, but wasn't a patch on the radio programme.
    His live show is much better, and more like what you'd hear on BBCR4.

I also like Meet David Sedaris.
    Down The Line is very, very funny and well worth a listen. I quite like Fags, Mags and Bags - it's not the best thing I've ever heard but I wouldn't turn the radio off when it comes on.
    The Now Show is quite good and I'll listen to Hancock's Half Hour when it's on.

The fiftieth anniversary recordings of of I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue have started to be broadcast on Radio 4, and the Royal Albert Hall episodes are now available on BBC Sounds.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00193v2

I was lucky be able to attend four recordings in person (two episodes are recorded on the same evening with an interval lasting a week). It was brilliant to see Graeme Garden in great form, and there were many tributes to former regulars who now play Mornington Crescent in the sky. The RAH recordings were on Humphrey Lyttelton's birthday.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    The fiftieth anniversary recordings of of I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue have started to be broadcast on Radio 4, and the Royal Albert Hall episodes are now available on BBC Sounds.
    Thanks for the heads up, am now catching up. Royal Mornington Crescent

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, am now catching up. Royal Mornington Crescent
    Witchell delivered his commentary via a lip-ribbon microphone, and was very funny indeed.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I haven't listened to the radio for years, other than for music, but this resurrected thread reminded me of an old favourite from when I was a lad and, surprisingly, today I found some old recordings online. It's very dated by todays standards, but very much of its time.

The Clitheroe Kid:
    https://www.radioechoes.com/?page=se...litheroe%20Kid

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I haven't listened to the radio for years, other than for music, but this resurrected thread reminded me of an old favourite from when I was a lad and, surprisingly, today I found some old recordings online. It's very dated by todays standards, but very much of its time.

The Clitheroe Kid:
    https://www.radioechoes.com/?page=se...litheroe%20Kid
    I remember that on a Sunday, probably after The Navy Lark.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052